• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces Geforce GTX 10 Series - GTX1080 - $599 - May 27th, GTX1070 = $379

Red

I might do this partly because this feels like a half step while they get properly sorted out with the new smaller node.

970 looks like it'll last another year for VR and by then I'll do an entire new PC (currently 3570k).
What indicates this might be a half step? I think it's wise to wait for benchmarks and reviews, as always, but is there anything thus far that makes the 1xxx series seem like a minor update?

Comparing a small-die GPU with no drivers to a large-die card that's been out for a 11 months with no information on its clocks.

"Cancelling my preorder". Just funny.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really hope EVGA gets an OC'ed version out asap. Cancelled my OR, for a 1080 to enhance my 4K and Vive performance.

Would love to grab a launch card, but given my history with trying to OC, I would rather by a card that ships with a nice OC, and then try my luck afterwards.

AkumaNiko

whelp, that did not take long

gtOAWPV.png

Piggus

Are EVGA and MSI generally the main third party companies people buy NVIDIA cards from? Any that usually people shy away from?

I've liked XFX, but haven't owned one of their cards for a long time.

My MSI 970s were fantastic. I'm holding out for their version of the 1080.

For AMD cards, I've had problems with Sapphire and good luck with Gigabyte.

AIB cards will be out at the same time

Is this speculation or do you know something we don't?

RedSwirl

100$ extra to own an inferior product a month earlier. Nvidia (marketing) never ceases to amaze me. I will wait for the cards from MSI, Gigabyte etc.. Never bought reference cards, not even when they were cheaper.

So what does the gap usually end up being between reference versions and custom versions?

So what does the gap usually end up being between reference versions and custom versions?
in terms of oc potential? For maxwell it was almost nothing. The difference is in the cooling. You get a good 10 to 15c reduction in temps if you buy one of the better custom versions.

Helznicht

Anyone know if the 9xx series will support the VR SLI? Looks like the best bet for a VR user with a 970 is to get a cheap 2nd one if so.

okies for 970 SLI:

* less than 1080p per eye screen, perfect for 970.
* Medium textures, good for 970, perfect for todays low res headsets

RedSwirl

in terms of oc potential? For maxwell it was almost nothing. The difference is in the cooling. You get a good 10 to 15c reduction in temps if you buy one of the better custom versions.

No, release time.

I've never paid attention to GPUs at launch before. How long after the reference cards do custom cards usually come out?

fred

I wouldn't trust some of these 'leaked' benchmarks myself. Like I've mentioned the other day the fact that NVidia are more than happy to have benchmarks released to the public a full ten days before the launch of the 1080 can only be a good sign. If they were just a marginal step up from the Fury X and 980Ti then NVidia wouldn't release them until launch day.

I should be able to afford to get a 1080 in August I think but I can't see AMD coming up with anything in the meantime to change my choice of card to complete my VR machine: Intel i7 6700K, Asus Maximus VIII Ranger motherboard, 16GB of CL14 DDR4 and a 1080, with another 16GB of DDR4 and a second 1080 to be added later if I ever need MOAR POWAH!!! lol

No, release time.

I've never paid attention to GPUs at launch before. How long after the reference cards do custom cards usually come out?
Anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months depending on which manufacturer you want. Evga is usually one of the first but they have one of the worst coolers imo. Sucks because they have the best customer service.

OneUh8

Anyone know if the 9xx series will support the VR SLI? Looks like the best bet for a VR user with a 970 is to get a cheap 2nd one if so.

okies for 970 SLI:

afaik there is no SLI support for VR. I don't own a set though so I have not done thorough research.

BigTnaples

okies for 970 SLI:

I mean I have 970 FTW's in SLI now, but the whole VR SLI thing has me worried, for one, its lack of existence at the moment, and two, its support going forward.

Current plan now is to buy a 1080 because it is a single card solution that will hopefully best the performance of my 970's.

Unless VR SLI makes some strides in the meantime....

RedSwirl

Anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months depending on which manufacturer you want. Evga is usually one of the first but they have one of the worst coolers imo. Sucks because they have the best customer service.

So what's the protocol here? Just keep track of news feeds from manufacturer and retailer websites?

newtonfb

I'm going to sell my ps4 and start gaming via my PC because I have a nvidia shield Android TV box that streams all the games to my TV and from what I've tried it works great. I'm just not sure what to do regarding graphics card.

Here's what I got. Win 10 pro 16gb ram AMD fx8350 Nvidia 650 1gb

I've played a few games like assassins Creed and it seemed to play alright but I know that the 650 card is old and not good. I was looking at the nvidia 960 card for $200 but didn't know if I should combine another 650 or buy 2 other cards (750 or so) and combine them. My budget is around $200. I want to play games like dark souls 3, battlefield 1 later this year and few others. I don't need the game to be 4k or anything,i just want it to run smooth and look decent.
I might beable to save up and get the 1070 if the performace is worth it but it might be overkill for my needs.

Is there any issues with motherboard/CPUs by switching up from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa? Currently run a 970 but wondering if there is anything precluding switching up manufacturers depending on the news hitting later this month? Anything that I'd need to do to prep board/cup for said change? Is this the most stupid series of questions in this thread?

RE4PRR

Which sounds great, but is not tangible now.

Hope we hear more soon, still going to go with a 1080 most likely. If benchmarks are as good as I am expecting..

VR isn't close to mainstream yet so I'm happy with how things are progressing.

Next year hopefully things really kick off with 2nd gen Vive.

"Is there any issues with motherboard/CPUs by switching up from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa? Currently run a 970 but wondering if there is anything precluding switching up manufacturers depending on the news hitting later this month? Anything that I'd need to do to prep board/cup for said change? Is this the most stupid series of questions in this thread?"

No
No
Use whatever is popular these days to completely remove and uninstall GPU drivers
Yes
No

Is there any issues with motherboard/CPUs by switching up from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa? Currently run a 970 but wondering if there is anything precluding switching up manufacturers depending on the news hitting later this month? Anything that I'd need to do to prep board/cup for said change? Is this the most stupid series of questions in this thread?

i think SLI or crossfire is dependent on mobo

BigTnaples

VR isn't close to mainstream yet so I'm happy with how things are progressing.

Next year hopefully things really kick off with 2nd gen Vive.

It won't be mainstream for a long time.

But it is totally amazing. Had some friends over to try my Vive setup yesterday, they were blown away.

Gen 2 needs higher resolution screens, a wider field of view, and lighter/more comfortable.

Those things alone would increase immersio/usability ten fold.

Then, later down the line, eye tracking and foviated rendering with VR tracking of hands.

On topic though, hopefully the 1080 and VR works are a big step forward in getting VR games running smoothly and looking beautiful for more people.

"Is there any issues with motherboard/CPUs by switching up from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa? Currently run a 970 but wondering if there is anything precluding switching up manufacturers depending on the news hitting later this month? Anything that I'd need to do to prep board/cup for said change? Is this the most stupid series of questions in this thread?"

No
No
Use whatever is popular these days to completely remove and uninstall GPU drivers
Yes
No

Thanks

Not sure if posted before.

There are some DX12 benchmarks of the 1080.

BGPb.png

http://www.mobipicker.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-directx-12-benchmarks-async-compute/

Doesn't look like a big step forward.

If this is the same benchmark I saw on reddit (you didn't post a source) the 980ti in this benchmark is clocked at over 1500 mhz, which heavily skews the results ofc as it's an insane oc

edit:

source

Source for the numbers : http://www.mobipicker.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/GTX-1080-benchmarks-1440-Crazy.jpg

They are comparing it to the record result for a 980ti (which apparently is running at 1525mhz, I don't have the benchmark installed to see details on the results page for that top 980ti)

This is why you always add a source to your info, otherwise it's misleading.

It may have been asked before, but what do you guys expect a 980ti to cost once these are released?

I think people were saying not to expect much of a drop. Second hand will go down. Apparently it varies but a lot of times they don't drop much. It was talked about a few pages back

Kieli

It may have been asked before, but what do you guys expect a 980ti to cost once these are released?

New will not change (much).

I think there's been a fairly generous drop in the used market. Reports of people grabbing cards at $400 to $450 (I've been checking sites like Hardforum, /hardwareswap, and so forth.

However, I believe the used market will correct itself when the new cards release and turn out aren't quite as amazing as nVIDIA marketing lead us to believe.

x3sphere

New will not change (much).

I think there's been a fairly generous drop in the used market. Reports of people grabbing cards at $400 to $450 (I've been checking sites like Hardforum, /hardwareswap, and so forth.

However, I believe the used market will correct itself when the new cards release and turn out aren't quite as amazing as nVIDIA marketing lead us to believe.

Even if the 1070 is a bit slower I don't know why anyone would pay $400 for a 980 Ti. 1070 has more VRAM and will benefit more from future driver updates.

There's some demand probably from people wanting to grab a used one for SLI right now. But soon after release of Pascal I expect prices to settle to $300-350.

Even if the 1070 is a bit slower I don't know why anyone would pay $400 for a 980 Ti. 1070 has more VRAM and will benefit more from future driver updates.

There's some demand probably from people wanting to grab a used one for SLI right now. But soon after release of Pascal I expect prices to settle to $300-350.

I'm worried about a memory bandwidth bottleneck on the 1070 tbh

256bit memory bus and gddr5 memory (not gddr5x which has more bandwidth on a smaller bus) is not pretty.

the fury x vs 980 ti already shows that even the 980ti with 330gb/s memory bandwidth is being held back by it at 4k. it's a clearly more powerful card than the fury x yet at 4k it loses its performance lead

Now reduce that to like 250GB/sec with a 256bit memory bus I think it's going to really hold the card back at 1440p and 4k

Don't get me wrong I'd never pay 400+ for a 980ti now simply because of the power consumption difference and the fact that over time the 1070 will get more driver optimisation that might pull it further ahead.

But if you were to give me a choice between a 980ti for 350 or a 1070 for the same price and forced me to buy it before benchmarks show how much of an issue the memory bandwidth will be for the 1070 I'd probably go with the 980ti to be safe

BigTnaples

I'm worried about a memory bandwidth bottleneck on the 1070 tbh

256bit memory bus and gddr5 memory (not gddr5x which has more bandwidth on a smaller bus) is not pretty.

the fury x vs 980 ti already shows that even the 980ti with 330gb/s memory bandwidth is being held back by it at 4k. it's a clearly more powerful card than the fury x yet at 4k it loses its performance lead

Now reduce that to like 250GB/sec with a 256bit memory bus I think it's going to really hold the card back at 1440p and 4k

Don't get me wrong I'd never pay 400+ for a 980ti now simply because of the power consumption difference and the fact that over time the 1070 will get more driver optimisation that might pull it further ahead.

But if you were to give me a choice between a 980ti for 350 or a 1070 for the same price and forced me to buy it before benchmarks show how much of an issue the memory bandwidth will be for the 1070 I'd probably go with the 980ti to be safe

The 1080 should avoid this all together correct?

Hasney

If this is the same benchmark I saw on reddit (you didn't post a source) the 980ti in this benchmark is clocked at over 1500 mhz, which heavily skews the results ofc as it's an insane oc

edit:

source

Source for the numbers : http://www.mobipicker.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/GTX-1080-benchmarks-1440-Crazy.jpg

They are comparing it to the record result for a 980ti (which apparently is running at 1525mhz, I don't have the benchmark installed to see details on the results page for that top 980ti)

This is why you always add a source to your info, otherwise it's misleading.

Yup, the videocardz tables showed better DX12 gains, but some with 2 GPUs. I'll say it.again, these leaked quick and dirty benchmarks are muddying things, not making them clearer. Wait for the full articles and benchmarks on the cards.

Nice. Hopefully they can get some OC editions out by mid June or so.

Are their OC editions going to be cheaper? If not then I'm confused at this point as to why the $599 price point was even mentioned. Will the AIB partners actually make cheaper cards? Also, if this is just the reference edition with their logo slapped on it then why wait for it when you could get it from Nvidia for the same price?

The 1080 should avoid this all together correct?

Not really. I think the (memory) clock speeds for the 1070 haven't been released yet, but it's probably around 980 levels or a bit more; so, ~224 GB/s in worst case. GTX 1080 would have ~42% more bandwidth in that case, but also 35%-40% more computational power, so the power/bandwidth ratio is very similar. Both have considerably less relative bandwidth compared to to the 900 series.

But: Just going the numbers can be misleading, as there might be further bandwidth savings due to compression, caching etc. Only benchmarks will show.

Top Bottom