• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Silly prices? Yea its expensive but you know not everyone needs a 1080 gtx to max out 1440p at over 60 fps right? I swear people are acting like this is titan priced.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yes , really.

Over and over again people kept saying (with a tone of great authority) that the 1080 was going to be below a 980ti performance wise, with a few guessing it would be above it.

Only a handful of people were saying it would be more powerful (my guess was either at 980ti level or slightly above depending on clockspeeds, as there were early rumors of nice clockspeed gains from ff+. I was expecting 1.3-1.5ghz based on the lower operating voltage for 16nmff+ ,but not frigging 1.7 and ocing to 2.1 lol).

What's worse is that most people were just speculating based on confirmation bias and not on specs or any kind of logical reasoning. Just some crap about 'these days you only get incremental 20 percent improvements every gen'

So while he may seem a bit obnoxious right now with his gloating, if you were in those old threads he has all the reason to be.

it's just a shame that the people who were so wrong despite being so confident now don't say a word about it :p
Happens every time. Everyone is quick to shit on a bold prediction but when the truth comes out, they run off and hide. Should be permabannable, imo. It's like my tag. I'm scarlet lettered but none of the doubters get identified. Such a shame.

Onemic

Happens every time. Everyone is quick to shit on a bold prediction but when the truth comes out, they run off and hide. Should be permabannable, imo. It's like my tag. I'm scarlet lettered but none of the doubters get identified. Such a shame.

where are the receipts tho

finalflame

Calm down there, chief. It's just video cards.

The upgrade cycle for nVidia has been bumpy at best, so it's hard to predict accurately one way or the other. That's why I always just stay cautiously optimistic without strong opinions one way or the other.

Jin

Yea, it's garbage it's like after AMD lost it's edge and ground in the market they shoe horned in and bullied their way in the market and can have whatever price they want.

I hope AMD's offerings seriously put them in check. I hope Vega mops the floor with them and at a third of the cost.

1070 is $379. 970 was even cheaper. I don't understand the price complaint. Hasn't Nvidia top tier cards $500+ for many years?

Ugh. I need to keep telling myself that upgrading over my 980 is sort of pointless unless I actually buy a monitor with a higher resolution than 1080. Maybe when they release some sort of 1080 Ti, I'll go all out with a new monitor and whatever the current i7 is at the time.

Jeffrey

thought people were arguing that 1070 will be below 980ti?

was there really doubt the new top end video card is going to be slower than last year's top end video card of similar price?

x3sphere

Silly prices? Yea its expensive but you know not everyone needs a 1080 gtx to max out 1440p at over 60 fps right? I swear people are acting like this is titan priced.

At $699 this card represent a huge price jump for x80 parts. If the trend continues, you're going to be paying like $900 for the 1080 Ti.

$599 is slightly more reasonable, still a price jump, but until I see cards available for that price I'm assuming the typical cost will be around $699.

Teeth

thought people were arguing that 1070 will be below 980ti?

was there really doubt the new top end video card is going to be slower than last year's top end video card of similar price?

This is exactly what the debate was and the jury is still kind of out.

The 1070 will also probably be ~$50 more than the 970 was when it was released, so the comparison gets even murkier.

Also lol at should-be-bannable for having a different speculation than someone else's speculation.

ISee

Ugh. I need to keep telling myself that upgrading over my 980 is sort of pointless unless I actually buy a monitor with a higher resolution than 1080. Maybe when they release some sort of 1080 Ti, I'll go all out with a new monitor and whatever the current i7 is at the time.

There is always the possibility to get a gtx 1080 now and than to downsample from a higher resolution. But I agree waiting at least till next year for 980 owners who are playing at 1080p/60 anyway isn't the worst idea.
And when it comes to buying a 4k monitor... waiting for 4k HDR displays might also be a good idea.

Boss Mog

I can't believe the people bitching about the 1070 specs and the ones who say it'll only be on par with the 980. Nvidia confirmed that it beats Titan X and 980Ti and it will have the same high margin for overclocking.

Yes the 1070 is gonna be a bit more expensive than the 970 was at launch but honestly it'll probably still be the greatest value in GPU history.

Papacheeks

Banned
1070 is $379. 970 was even cheaper. I don't understand the price complaint. Hasn't Nvidia top tier cards $500+ for many years?

The 970 gtx was a mid tier card but actually the reference card came out for 400$ when it launched in September 2014. That is awful pricing when I was able to buy a GTX 285 for 349$ in 2009.

Which was basically in the 980GTX tier at the time, with the 295x2 being the titan/ti variant.

They have been asking more and more for just the name alone.

EDIT: Correction I was thinking the reference cards on the 970's being 399$

ISee

Boss★Moogle;203940195 said:
I can't believe the people bitching about the 1070 specs and the ones who say it'll only be on par with the 980. Nvidia confirmed that it beats Titan X and 980Ti and it will have the same high margin for overclocking.

Yes the 1070 is gonna be a bit more expensive than the 970 was at launch but honestly it'll probably still be the greatest value in GPU history.

I think it will be around 980ti levels, but may I remind you about the gtx 970 3.5gb vram fiasco? Trusting Nvidia (a company on marketing mode) just for the sake of trusting isn't a good idea.
Waiting for benchmarks/reviews from multiple sites on the other side, is the way to go.

Yea, it's garbage it's like after AMD lost it's edge and ground in the market they shoe horned in and bullied their way in the market and can have whatever price they want.

I hope AMD's offerings seriously put them in check. I hope Vega mops the floor with them and at a third of the cost.

LoL AMD? AMD increased prices from <400$ for 5870/6970 to 550$ for 7970 when they had first 28nm card on the market. If they ever get performance crown again you will have to pay a lot for it ...

Grief.exe

Gemüsepizza;203931879 said:
Haswell-E only makes sense for multi GPU configurations because of the additional PCIe lanes. For single card configurations the normal i7 CPUs are faster. The reason is that somehow Intel thinks that it's high end CPUs should be one generation behind their normal i7 CPUs. So the 5820k does not have the benefits of the Skylake or even Broadwell architecture. If you are sure that you don't want SLI/CF, an overclocked 6700K is probably the best and most modern CPU you can get.

Interesting.

Papacheeks

Banned
LoL AMD? AMD increased prices from <400$ for 5870/6970 to 550$ for 7970 when they had first 28nm card on the market. If they ever get performance crown again you will have to pay a lot for it ...

Then why before the 1080 were 390x outpacing a 980gtx in dx12 in most games for a 150$ cheaper?

Which one of the aforementioned sites in the op has the most reliable benchmarks? I always found Guru to be wildly inaccurate, what sites would people recommend from the OP as a true judge of performance?

I always like PCPer's reviews. Tons of info presented in a bunch of different ways.

Smoolio

Think it is possible to throw a 1080 gtx into a 2500K, pci-e 2.0, 1600Mhz 16GB system and get 60fps+ in all games max settings 1080p?

Reallink

Considering it's very possible the 970 alone generated more revenue and profit than the 980, 980ti, and Titan X combined (based on Steam's HW surveys), I think this is more supply control than quasi-monopolistic price gouging. It doesn't make business sense to target selling cards at this price level as they don't actually move big numbers, contrary to the impression you may get reading super nerd forums. Either they're stupid, or their hands are tied by poor yields, not enough production lead up, etc... Why would you release a $600+ card that may, best case, move 20% of what a $350 card would? That's not even getting into how it hurts the industry as a whole (peripheral makers, VR, developers, publishers, other HW), by stunting, stalling, or declining growth because the barrier of entry is too high.

Phawx

Man, my 5870 was such a good card. Got it at launch before prices went crazy. And then The GTX480 happened later.

No way we are going to see that ever again.

Weevilone

Then why before the 1080 were 390x outpacing a 980gtx in dx12 in most games for a 150$ cheaper?

There aren't that many DX12 games to be worried with at this point, and I haven't bothered to validate the performance advantage.. so assuming that's true..

I'd say that AMD is an an unfortunate position where they have a line of cards that are perceived by some (many?) to have subpar performance per watt. I personally care about heat and noise more than I worry with price and perhaps I'm not alone. Many also associate AMD with driver issues, and they don't want to revisit that. Whether it's true is a matter of debate, but the perception of these things may be putting AMD in a position where they HAVE to price their parts lower.

I'd amend the original statement to state that AMD needs to regain the performance crown, AND overcome some public perception issues before they will be in a position to sell parts at higher prices.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gemüsepizza;203931879 said:
Haswell-E only makes sense for multi GPU configurations because of the additional PCIe lanes. For single card configurations the normal i7 CPUs are faster. The reason is that somehow Intel thinks that it's high end CPUs should be one generation behind their normal i7 CPUs. So the 5820k does not have the benefits of the Skylake or even Broadwell architecture. If you are sure that you don't want SLI/CF, an overclocked 6700K is probably the best and most modern CPU you can get.

Well broadwell-e is coming soon. And I do wonder whether for VR the extra cores might be useful - eg for physics heavy games like job simulator.

So I suspect that the initial launch for the 1080 GTX will be the overpriced founders edition from every board partner, and that we'll get custom cooled $100 cheaper cards about a month, if not a couple weeks, later. During Nvidias initial reveal they made it seem like only they would be the ones selling and manufacturing the founders (reference) edition cards while their board partners would make cheaper custom ones. It's quite ridiculous that now everyone and their mother will be selling these dumb "founders" editions. I also don't understand where everyone is getting the idea that custom cooled solutions will be even more expensive than the founders. Sticking a couple fans on the card should be significantly cheaper than the custom vapor chamber along with the backplate that nvidia is doing.
NVIDIA-GTX-1080-2.jpg
What was the whole point then for nvidia to announce the 1080 price to be $599 if it won't be the case.

riflen

These products were always going to begin to get more expensive when they hit new problems caused by the extremely small size of components. Around 20nm, planar stopped having cost reduction benefits. FinFET is nice and all but it's expensive as hell, so here we are. This has been discussed for years at this point and shouldn't be a surprise.
It's not Nvidia raising prices, these costs are inherent. AMD will also have to deal with raised costs somehow. The director of the RTG was saying recently that economics of the large die GPUs is not great, as far as performance per dollar is concerned. They want to make multi-gpu much better across all products because many smaller GPUs makes more cost sense.

I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger on a 1070 (after the reviews, of course, to avoid any nasty surprises). The thing is, I have to count in additional prices because my 6 year old PC. I'd need a new mobo, probably a PSU and what not. But the 1070 looks attractive on paper and Anno 2205 chugs on my 5750.

I don't know know if I should update my 17 870 (2.93 GHz) or not, though. I'm playing Anno 2205 and Civ 6 this year with some RTS eye-candy like Ashes and some new ones (Warhammer and such).

I may need to save up for a couple of months or so. I would love to get a 6 or a 10 core CPU (been fantasizing about that for a years), but I don't know when they will release at fair prices.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I suspect that the initial launch for the 1080 GTX will be the overpriced founders edition from every board partner, and that we'll get custom cooled $100 cheaper cards about a month, if not a couple weeks, later. During Nvidias initial reveal they made it seem like only they would be the ones selling and manufacturing the founders (reference) edition cards while their board partners would make cheaper custom ones. It's quite ridiculous that now everyone and their mother will be selling these dumb "founders" editions. I also don't understand where everyone is getting the idea that custom cooled solutions will be even more expensive than the founders. Sticking a couple fans on the card should be significantly cheaper than the custom vapor chamber along with the backplate that nvidia is doing.
What was the whole point then for nvidia to announce the 1080 price to be $599 if it won't be the case.

I'd like to think it'll play out like this (but I'm not confident)
- nvidia announces $599 price point
- they announce $699 founders edition which is basically their reference card.
- they price it high partly to cream some money from early adopters, but partly to avoid competing directly with partners.
- partners sell FE cards initially to get some money in quickly (and to avoid nvidia monopolising sales early on), but only until they can get custom coolers out
- partners switch over ASAP to lower priced custom cooler cards which the enthusiasts will want.
- this leaves the nvidia reference/FE card sat out there at $699 which will slowly become irrelevant as the price normalises around $599-649
- nvidia preps to do it all over again with the ti..

LCGeek

formerly sane
Love the reviews but will hold off until certain games clearly go in to lightboost territory. The fact in DX12 or certain DX11 we had real gains has me pleased.

Phawx

When has custom ever meant cheaper? Also why bother doing extra work to make less money?

edit: furthermore, why make less money just to make Nvidia look better?

To generate buzz. Also they are able to snag early adopters with FE cards at the higher price point at launch, and then I bet we see custom cards from the big manufacturers above the $600 price point. Then Nvidia will sell the FE cards for $599.

Their intention is to sell cards direct from Nvidia throughout the product lifecycle this time. I see that scenario making sense.

I also dont see a $599 1080 being available for at least a year.

Vuze

Well, I wish for the best, but again: I can't see the partners selling better performing, better cooled solutions for much lower than 699$ when people will camp stores to grab a subpar model.

599$ could've very well been just a marketing trick. We'll see.

DeSolos

The $599 price point is the MSRP for board partners like EVGA, MSI, etc. We'll probably start seeing their offerings next month.

The $699 "founders edition" is just NVIDIA's vanilla version being sold for more than it usually is. Why? Angles are expensive?

The $599 price point is the MSRP for board partners like EVGA, MSI, etc. We'll probably start seeing their offerings next month.

The $699 "founders edition" is just NVIDIA's vanilla version being sold for more than it usually is. Why? Angles are expensive?
Thats the thing though, EVGA, MSI, etc all will be selling only the founders editions at $699 next month.

Are some people really disappointed that a card meant to be the successor to the 980 is "only" ~20% above than the Ti and Titan X at reference? It's a ~50% improvement over the 980 from the few benches I've looked at, that's still a significant improvement from one generation to the next and inline with, at least my expectations.

People saying the PS4.5 / Neo will be as or even more powerful than the 1080 Ti ...

Really!?

No, not really, no. They're clearly not being serious.

I knew the 1080 would be a performer but not by this much. I remember arguing with people on this very board who tried telling me Pascal would just be a performance per watt winner. Looks like Pascal definitely is an improvement on Maxwell.

At reference speeds it's ~25% faster than the 980 Ti and is priced (non-FE) about 20% higher. The Founders Edition is Nvidia making money of early adopters--which I'm fine with since the AIB alternatives will probably perform better anyway--so it kind of destroys peoples perspectives.

I'm just excited to see the 1070 launch offering 980 Ti performance for $400, while consuming substantially less power. To top it off, the 1080 OCs for an about 12% performance gain with the reference design--I imagine the 1070 will do similar at reference--but either could reach as high as 20% with an AIB solution, so sign me up for an ASUS or EVGA GTX 1070 when they come out.

Thats the thing though, EVGA, MSI, etc all will be selling only the founders editions at $699 next month.

The FE cards come out on the 5/27, and multiple sources say the $599 AIB versions will start to come out 10-20 days after that, which means for about half of next month there will be ~$620 non-FE variations of the 1080.

Well, yeah. Any FE card is just a rebadged card provided by Nvidia, correct? Nvidia sets the price for all FE cards.

There will be basic AIBs at or near the $599 mark, just not at launch. And I'd expect to see premium AIB cards in the ballpark or even lower than FE price within a few months once the initial launch hype slows down and the 3rd parties start having to compete for sales.

Top Bottom