• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Shane86

Anyone know the difference between the regular Palit 1080 gamerock and the premium edition?

Edit : I found this image, is the difference just a factory overclock? There's £100 difference in the price.

Palit-GTX1080.png

fred

Anyone know the difference between the regular Palit 1080 gamerock and the premium edition?

Edit : I found this image, is the difference just a factory overclock? There's £100 difference in the price.

Palit-GTX1080.png

It also comes with that 5.25" panel by the looks of it. Maybe an extra HDMI slot in the front for VR..? Not sure tbh.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Cheers guys.

Despite initial hesitation I think I'll get a 1080. Partially because it's fancy new tech and I'm an idiot, but also because I should get my tax return in the next month or so and that warrants a nice splurge. I'll sell my 980 Ti too which should cover a good chunk of the investment.

It's just a matter of what card to buy. And then trying to actually fucking get it. No cards are available in Australia.

Eh... If you already have a 980 Ti I think it's better to just wait for the 1080 Ti since you're probably gonna end up lusting over it anyway. That's a long ways away though so I can understand with the tax return coming next month.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ever since I installed my MSI Gaming X 1080, my computer immediately wakes up after going into sleep mode. Any ideas? Something to do with cables/power supply maybe?

MuchoMalo

Banned
Ever since I installed my MSI Gaming X 1080, my computer immediately wakes up after going into sleep mode. Any ideas? Something to do with cables/power supply maybe?

Go into Admin command prompt and type "powercfg -lastwake" (without quotes) to see what the cause is. Most likely, you'll find that it's your Ethernet adapter.

Kysen

Took both metro games for a spin, minimum 80 fps with everything on max. Shame my monitor is capped at 60 :(. Dunno if i'm gonna bother OCing the card. Does 200mhz really make that much of a difference. It boosts to 1800 currently.

badb0y

I can't believe this happened. I just bought a brand new sealed EVGA 1080 Founder's Edition for $530 in NYC. The dude is on Craigslist. Props to Skelter with the hookup fam.

demigod

I love how Google Translate translates the Palit card's name as Game skirt

Also, EVGA ACX still sucks and EVGA FTW is dramatically overrated. People should just get a Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, Zotac, or Palit/Gainward instead of waiting the rest of their lives for a EVGA FTW to be in stock.

I agree, they are overrated and their cards look butt ugly to me. The only thing they got going is their warranty.

WadeitOut

My STRIX OC is finallyt shipping. Which is good because I shipped off my MSI Gaming X last week to a friend and I have games I want to play...

Has anyone used the MSI gaming app to change their led colour? I can make them blink etc but I can't change the colour from red.

It should be right there on the left hand side.

HooYaH

Anyone else getting desktop flickering with the newer drivers (144Hz monitor)? Quite annoying.

And yes, I have the newest hotfix.

WadeitOut

Anyone else getting desktop flickering with the newer drivers (144Hz monitor)? Quite annoying.

Yeah but only when go back and forth between my 144hz monitor and my 60hz extended monitor. We will have to wait for the next release to completely fix it I would imagine. Setting your mhz to 120 should temporarily fix it.

Skelter

Banned
I can't believe this happened. I just bought a brand new sealed EVGA 1080 Founder's Edition for $530 in NYC. The dude is on Craigslist. Props to Skelter with the hookup fam.

No problem man. I don't know how many more cards he has but if anyone wants his number, just send a PM.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eh... If you already have a 980 Ti I think it's better to just wait for the 1080 Ti since you're probably gonna end up lusting over it anyway. That's a long ways away though so I can understand with the tax return coming next month.

Yeah, I know. But I'm a sucker, and that wait for the 1080 Ti is going to be unbearable. Nvidia will stretch it out, like they always do (but when the time comes I'll bite, again). I'm really only looking at...10 - 15 fps gain jumping to a 1080. But shmeh.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's the odds of grabbing a Gainward 1080 PHOENIX and being able to OC it to the GLH equivalent? Seems they're basically the same, the latter just with a guaranteed factory OC.

PHOENIX:
Base: 1607 MHz
Boost: 1733 MHz
Mem: 5000 MHz
Band: 320 (GB/Sec)

GLH:
Base: 1746 MHz
Boost: 1885 MHz
Mem: 5250 MHz
Band: 336 (GB/Sec)

Additionally; what's the likelihood of hitting ~2GHz on this card?

longdi

Banned
Does 1080 overclocking relies on ASIC scores as much as 980Ti?

The bigger your gpuz ASIC readings on 980Ti, the more potential it can overclocks.

Titan Z would like a word with you.

Oh. I forgot about the Z. Such a waste of the letter that one was :(

What's the odds of grabbing a Gainward 1080 PHOENIX and being able to OC it to the GLH equivalent? Seems they're basically the same, the latter just with a guaranteed factory OC.

PHOENIX:

GLH:

Very high. Almost all factory OCed 1080s hit the magical 2000. I mean even many FEs do it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh. I forgot about the Z. Such a waste of the letter that one was :(

To say nothing of the potential for misunderstanding. If you were a customer unfamiliar with Nvidia's product slate and saw a Titan Z sitting next to a Titan X, you'd understandably assume that the former is the newer, superior product (granted, the Z would pull ahead in cases where SLI is supported).

Vuze

I love how Google Translate translates the Palit card's name as Game skirt

Also, EVGA ACX still sucks and EVGA FTW is dramatically overrated. People should just get a Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, Zotac, or Palit/Gainward instead of waiting the rest of their lives for a EVGA FTW to be in stock.
Yeah, seeing the temps and power draw along with the performance was rather disheartening.

Unfortunately I don't have enough space for a Palit/GW and they look butt ugly to me as well. Most 1080 card designs do though, EVGAs on the other hand I think look great apart from their obnoxious logo over use. Really, the name plate would've been enough <_<

Apart from that only the MSI X looks nice to me but colour scheme doesn't fit and the "scales" are fixed red LEDs so not even painting would help. Also warranty void if you remove the cooler + meh service + 30€ more expensive.

I can't wait for Intels next worthy jump in CPU performance so I can finally justify building a brand new rig with a full water loop so cooler design doesn't matter anymore lol

Paganmoon

Yeah but only when go back and forth between my 144hz monitor and my 60hz extended monitor. We will have to wait for the next release to completely fix it I would imagine. Setting your mhz to 120 should temporarily fix it.

Well that explains why I stopped getting flickering. I recently changed my 144hz to 120hz (also use an extended 60hz monitor), due to the idle clocks not working. Hopefully they'll fix the flickering and the 3D clocks on multimonitor and 144hz setups.

Wortany

To the person who mentioned Gainward Phoenix 1080 stock on www.Conrad.com: Thanks!

Just ordered from there, and they still have stock on the base (non-OC'ed) edition. But as it's the same cooler/board as the GLH, it's just as good. They're also expecting more GLH stock in 6-8 days.

And they offer free shipping on their local store variants (.be, .de, etc.....)

Jin

I fixed this by setting power management - > prefer maximum performance under the global settings.

Kysen

It seems if I run Overwatch with vsync off my card runs 10c hotter despite still being capped at 60.

Vsync off
-1800mhz GPU boost
-70c

Vsync on
-1100mhz GPU
-60c

Same framerate for both.

nubbe

PHOENIX:

GLH:

I get 1925 and memory +500 on a basic EVGA ACX3.0
General feedback would indicate that any Pascal has the ability to get close to 2Ghz

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Go into Admin command prompt and type "powercfg -lastwake" (without quotes) to see what the cause is. Most likely, you'll find that it's your Ethernet adapter.

Unfortunately, it's returning a value of '0', so it's as if it's not actually entering sleep mode.

I've tried uninstalling the MSI software and unchecking "Allow this device to wake the computer." from just about everything in Device Manager, but it still persists.

Really kind of at a loss right now.

edit: I reseated the card and now my computer sleeps just fine. That was odd...

So for those that ordered a Strix OC on Wednesday night from Amazon, look for an expensive Asus router in your package when you receive it. I guess there is a few cases of people receiving the routers instead of the cards on Nowinstock. It'll be a few hours before I can confirm which item I received.

fred

Have now decided which 1080 I'm going to get - a Zotac AMP. It looks a bit chunky though. Will I be able to get a second one at a later date and run them in HB SLI without a problem..? I have an Asus Maximus VIII Ranger motherboard if that helps.

seph1roth

I have a Palit premium edition and never thought this brand would be that good, i'm very happy with the card, it's very quiet and never gets hotter than 65 c°.

Totally recommended.

nubbe

It seems if I run Overwatch with vsync off my card runs 10c hotter despite still being capped at 60.

Vsync off
-1800mhz GPU boost
-70c

Vsync on
-1100mhz GPU
-60c

Same framerate for both.

Vsync On chokes the game engine so it only can render the amount of frames that is limited to the refresh rate.

Vsync Off lets the game engine render as many frames as it can handle.

So with Vsync On the GPU can throttle down since it receives less data than it can process.

Soltype

I have a Palit premium edition and never thought this brand would be that good, i'm very happy with the card, it's very quiet and never gets hotter than 65 c°.

Totally recommended.
The game rock?, that's been getting great reviews.Palit did a great job on them.

Vsync On chokes the game engine so it only can render the amount of frames that is limited to the refresh rate.

Vsync Off lets the game engine render as many frames as it can handle.

So with Vsync On the GPU can throttle down since it receives less data than it can process.

I think he got all that already. Read his question again.

Palit and Gameward are almost identical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0lj0nmKHYw

I didn't know just how ridiculously big some of these aftermarket cards were in comparison to the Founder's Edition. No wonder these cool so darn well. I guess the FE's cooling isn't too bad considering the size and the fact that it's a blower.

veBidjG.jpg

On other news, still waiting for my card. Last ETA didn't pan out. I'm waiting to know just how long I have to wait -_-

I had my eyes on the Gainward Phoenix ever since I saw its review. The temps are amazing; it shits on the MSI cards temp-wise. I found pre-orders on overclockers website, but I have no idea when it will ship.

I am concerned about the name though. Since I am importing my stuff, I have limited options to ship it back/RMA in case something happens, so I am going with the safest bet. If the Gainward cards are great and trustworthy, I might get one. The wait for the disappointing FTW is already taking too long.

I don't remember having such an stupid release of a product. They break the internet with their new flagship card, and barely anyone get it. That is ignoring the FE cards fiasco.

Ok, so as some of you know, I had an EVGA SC for a while and was having temp issues between that and my case. I was having temps crawl up to 78C-80C while playing Doom and a few other demanding titles over long sessions. I ordered some Corsair SP fans for the case, but temps would level out around 76C (65% fan speed). With a max OC clocks fluctuated between 2025-2050. At this point I decided to sell the SC and wait for a hybrid option.

In comes the Strix. I just happen to have the opportunity to buy one, and since I am impatient, I did. The quality of the packaging and the card is pretty great. The EVGA SC was cool, but it didn't have the wow factor for me that the Strix did. The cooling assembly on the Strix is incredible. It feels like a supreme quality product as you take it out of the box (it's ginormous too). Easily, the out of the box and overall aesthetics goes to the Strix.

Now to temps in game. I'm just going to compare on Doom, since that is where I spent most of my time with the SC. Temps were unbelievable!! I was using the stock OC setting. Clocks completely stable at 2025 and temps at 62C!! The highest I ever saw it hit was 63C but only for a split second. Fan speed at 59%. I was in such disbelief that I just kept playing and playing. I thought at some point those temps would crawl up, but they never did. Unreal

Seriously, this card blows the EVGA card and cooler away. I was worried about giving up that EVGA customer service, but this card is soooo good. I'm much happier spending the 700 with this than I was with the SC. I will keep testing temps if whatever anyone is curious about.

Durante

I just bought a Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 Twin X2.

It's not a glamorous card, but it's
- small enough to fit in my case
- it was in stock at an Austrian vendor I have had good experiences with
- it cost 699&#8364;

I can live with going ~50 Mhz lower than the monster cards.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought a Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 Twin X2.

It's not a glamorous card, but it's
- small enough to fit in my case
- it was in stock at an Austrian vendor I have had good experiences with
- it cost 699&#8364;

I can live with going ~50 Mhz lower than the monster cards.

Can you though Durante ? Can you REALLY ?
;)

I was initially going to get a GTX 1070 but the prices on those are so fucking ridiculous I might pay the extra and get the Gainward or Palit 1080. Seems like they are good cards and on the cheaper end of the 1080 payscale.

KingBroly

Banned
I didn't know just how ridiculously big some of these aftermarket cards were in comparison to the Founder's Edition. No wonder these cool so darn well. I guess the FE's cooling isn't too bad considering the size and the fact that it's a blower.

veBidjG.jpg

On other news, still waiting for my card. Last ETA didn't pan out. I'm waiting to know just how long I have to wait -_-

Those other cards look like mammoths, holy shit

dEvAnGeL

If you game at 1080p only is it worth jumping from a 980ti to this? Most benchmarks out there are 1440p and 4k so im interested on some input from someone that's gaming at that res and made the jump

Vanmunt

Banned

veBidjG.jpg

And I was worried about fitting a FE into my Mini itx case.. they are massive!

Top Bottom