• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Wait, what is DPC latency and how does it manifest itself in Fallout 4? I played it a couple of days ago using a gtx 1080 and I didn't notice anything odd.

Apparently, in Fallout 4, lowering shadow draw distance to medium drastically increases GPU utilization by reducing draw calls (thus alleviating a CPU bottleneck). Skyrim had a similar issue although not as severe.

I set shadows to low and my FPS dropped below 60fps on some occasions with EVERY setting on low. I have a picture of me statically standing in front of diamond city and getting this:

2njwHqU.png

Also, if you don't mind, would you provide me with your system's specs? And the framerate/GPU utilization in Diamond city and Corvega plant (the moment you fast travel there).

what issues? I haven't updated to the latest drivers yet

http://www.overclock.net/t/1605618/nvidia-update-2-gtx-1080-1070-high-dpc-latency-and-stuttering

GPU utilization complaints everywhere. And don't you dare bring up the word "CPU" because Skylake i7 6770k users with DDR4 RAM and reporting similar issues.

Managed to get lucky on Monday and got a FTW (in Canada via Newegg) and it shipped Monday and Purolator hasn't updated the tracking info and now has no ETA for delivery. Oh the joys of Canadian shipping.

Murugo

Got a FTW yesterday on Newegg and it arrived today, shipped from the same state. Now I need to buy the rest of the computer.

XShagrath

My Strix is gettting boxed up and RMA'd back to Asus tomorrow. A single fan kicks on at idle from time to time and can last anywhere from 1 second or until I power off the machine.

Wow. I can get 100fps+ with everything cranked up in Dying light, even with PCCS on. That option was locked from the stupid ini file that I had to edit; it sucks to know that I beat the game with those damn dark, sharp vanilla shadows.

I had a funny glitch with MSI OSD. The core clock was stuck at 680MHz but I was getting 144fps in BF4 with ultra/MSAAx4. I should have taken a screen picture and troll people with it.

Mike's has a few MSI Gaming X in stock. It's where I picked up my card a month ago and had no issues.
Yeah, NCIX has that model as well, but I'd hate myself if I buy that one knowing that Z version of that card (higher overclock) sells for less at newegg.ca and might comeback in stock any moment.

demigod

Here's my 3dmark score. My cpu sucks :p.

Played about 15mins of the witcher 3. Never went higher than 54 degrees with a 54% fan speed. I'll probably lower the fancurve. Stable 2088mhz in game. I wish my boost was higher but that's ok, i'm happy that the soundcard isn't loud.

Lethal

Neo Member
I overclocked my G1 to mediocre speeds - around 2100 boost and 10500 on memory - and I wondered if I'm being limited by the power delivery.

Does just one 8pin provide less power than, say, the Gaming X which has an 8 and a 6? They were both the same price in the store I went to

Vuze

I overclocked my G1 to mediocre speeds - around 2100 boost and 10500 on memory - and I wondered if I'm being limited by the power delivery.

Does just one 8pin provide less power than, say, the Gaming X which has an 8 and a 6? They were both the same price in the store I went to

2,1ghz certainly isn't mediocre if the card can hold it stable during gaming. And no, Pascal doesn't really seem to profit from extra power delivery so don't worry.

Lethal

Neo Member
Oh...ok cool. Yeah, I got it to 2100 and benched a few times with zero artifacting. I think there may still be room on the memory but I pushed the core back down a bit to be safe. It hits about 2080 at boost.

Glad that there's no real benefit from more power

I am starting to mess around with Voltage percentage in Afterburner. I have it at 85% right now; I should leave it at 100% right? It should be safe I think. I didn't adjust the voltage frequency graph thing, and it seems to keep voltage at 1.075V. I will try to make the card hit higher voltages right at 2000Mhz and see if I can hold 2100Mhz in the Witcher 3 without crashes.

I honestly don't give a damn. The FTW by default easily boosts to 1987-2000MHz. I just had few games that are more sensitive to the overclock; I kinda dropped down to 60MHz+ offset? Probably lower too after some driver crashes; I think I can keep those earlier offsets with 100% voltage and a proper curve.

Wow, that's pretty serious. I've built my PC for low latency because I dabble in music production, so this driver bug pretty much kills that possibility for me until it's fixed. Luckily, a fix seems to be on the way in an upcoming driver, as the root cause of the problem has been identified.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
OC potential seems to rely entirely on silicon lottery now.

Shouldn't AIB cards be cheaper than Founder's Edition?

Honestly this is the first card I've ever owned that hasn't been a disaster in the silicon lottery. OC potential has been consistently dreadful. This however manages to sit core 2000+ MHz so far without any issues, including The Witcher 3 where I normally have heaps.

Haven't touched the RAM yet though.

Honestly this is the first card I've ever owned that hasn't been a disaster in the silicon lottery. OC potential has been consistently dreadful. This however manages to sit core 2000+ MHz so far without any issues, including The Witcher 3 where I normally have heaps.

Haven't touched the RAM yet though.

That is pretty great to hear. Are you achieving a near 60 in TW3 1440p modded? What about unmodded?

dr_rus

How do I boost the clockspeed?

This is my graphics card clockspeed

GPU Clockspeed :1847 Mhz (boost)/1708 Mhz (base)

The card is boosting its clocks automatically, you don't have to do anything. With 1847MHz rated boost you are likely running at ~1900-2000MHz already.

If you want to manually overclock even higher then you'll have to learn how to use MSI Afterburner.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That is pretty great to hear. Are you achieving a near 60 in TW3 1440p modded? What about unmodded?

Here's my 980 Ti comparison numbers from earlier, but not @2000+ MHz.

Not sure if anybody gives a shit, but here's some early, rough comparisons between my 980 Ti and my 1080. I booted up each game with a single pre-planned vista to monitor the framerate.

Each game is running at 1440p on a 144Hz Gsync.
i7 6700K @ 4.6 GHz
16GB DDR4

Specific game and card details below.

MSI 980 Ti
Core: 1316 MHz
Memory: 3506 MHz

Gainward Phoenix 1080
Core: (up to) 1911 MHz
Memory: 5006 MHz

---------------------------------------------------

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
All settings maxed out, no AA, Hairworks ultra, tweaks to increase draw distance/rendering quality beyond maximum
980ti: 35 fps
1080: 46 fps

Rise of the Tomb Raider
All settings maxed out, no AA, VXAO, PureHair very high
980ti: 45 fps
1080: 59 fps

Mirror's Edge Catalyst:
All settings hyper, Res scale 100%
980ti: 63 fps
1080: 77 fps

Star Wars: Battlefront
All settings ultra, no AA, Res scale 120%
980ti: 71 fps
1080: 85 fps

------------------------------------------------

Witcher 3 location was just near the Skellige druid camp looking into the forest, which I find is one of if not the most taxing viewpoints in the game. But that's open world games for you, and framerates are crazy variant depending on what I'm looking at.

Not sure what my unmodded numbers in that location would be, but shouldn't be far off 60fps.

samar11

The card is boosting its clocks automatically, you don't have to do anything. With 1847MHz rated boost you are likely running at ~1900-2000MHz already.

If you want to manually overclock even higher then you'll have to learn how to use MSI Afterburner.

The boost occurs when I am playing a game ?

dr_rus

The boost occurs when I am playing a game ?

Yes, unless the said game is limited by something else (CPU for example) in which case it may run even on the lowest power tier (~135MHz in case of 980Ti, not sure how low it will be on 1080).

Lethal

Neo Member
What are the best games to test? I've done TW3 and JC3. Very pleased with the results buuuut

I feel like playing OW at Epic/150% render/120fps ULMB isnt doing the card justice...

Psykotik

i have a gigabyte 980ti g1 that i'm looking to upgrade to a gigabyte 1080 g1.

my case BARELY fits the 980ti g1 and i was wondering if the 1080 g1 is the same size (or hopefully smaller).

has anybody put both of them side by side?

Durante

Yes, unless the said game is limited by something else (CPU for example) in which case it may run even on the lowest power tier (~135MHz in case of 980Ti, not sure how low it will be on 1080).
Or if the game has a FPS lock and is not very hard to render. The most extreme example are some 2D games I've tried, in which my 1080 happily sits at ~250 MHz (while spitting out 60 FPS of course).

Yay got my FTW just in time to move across the country tomorrow. Talk about tight timing. Really excited to give it a whirl next week once everything has arrived.

I set shadows to low and my FPS dropped below 60fps on some occasions with EVERY setting on low. I have a picture of me statically standing in front of diamond city and getting this:

Also, if you don't mind, would you provide me with your system's specs? And the framerate/GPU utilization in Diamond city and Corvega plant (the moment you fast travel there).

http://www.overclock.net/t/1605618/nvidia-update-2-gtx-1080-1070-high-dpc-latency-and-stuttering

GPU utilization complaints everywhere. And don't you dare bring up the word "CPU" because Skylake i7 6770k users with DDR4 RAM and reporting similar issues.

Are you by any chance running the game in borderless windowed mode? I tried using the low preset at 1080p and the results are as follows (using i7 3770K at 4.2GHz, DDR3 2400MHz and an overclocked gtx 1080):

Right after traveling to Diamond City:

36 fps and 24-25% GPU load using borderless windowed mode.
104 fps and 58% GPU load using fullscreen mode.

Right after loading Corvega Plant

36-48 fps and 22-26% load in borderless windowed mode.
137 fps and 57% GPU load using fullscreen mode.

I get 68fps and 93% GPU load while using the ultra preset in Fullscreen in Diamond City and 95fps and 75% GPU load after loading Corvega Plant. With my preferred settings at 1440p fullscreened, I get 61fps and 99% GPU load in Diamond City and 64 fps and 99% in Corvega Plant. I actually didn't expect this game to max out my GPU at only about 60fps but there ya go.

Results may vary slightly based on companion and weapon used.

It's actually great that you brought this issue up because I was using borderless windowed mode and the frame rate straight up sucked. I don't know of any game that has this drastic of a difference between fullscreen and windowed mode. Usually it only causes increased GPU load. Perhaps some program is taking priority over the game when using borderless windowed mode.

Hmm, when I think about it, this game must have doubled buffered v-sync enabled when using borderless windowed mode, doesn't it? I have a 144Hz monitor which would explain why the frame rate runs at 36 or 48 fps. It's still strange that I don't hit 72 fps since I can do higher than that in fullscreen mode.

Ok, so I am officially weak, after considering a 1070 for the longest time I've decided to go with a 1080 instead. I've found a good price on an MSI 1080 Armor OC, but can't find any reviews of it. Does anyone have any experience with the card itself or MSI in general?

Thanks!

Ok, so I am officially weak, after considering a 1070 for the longest time I've decided to go with a 1080 instead. I've found a good price on an MSI 1080 Armor OC, but can't find any reviews of it. Does anyone have any experience with the card itself or MSI in general?

Thanks!

Funny I am debating whether buy this one or the MSI Gaming X variant, the Gaming Z variant is no where to be found.

Edit: Ninja'd. Holy fuck.

I will report back if it fixed the Fallout 4 issue.

Are you by any chance running the game in borderless windowed mode? I tried using the low preset at 1080p and the results are as follows (using i7 3770K at 4.2GHz, DDR3 2400MHz and an overclocked gtx 1080):

Right after traveling to Diamond City:

36 fps and 24-25% GPU load using borderless windowed mode.
104 fps and 58% GPU load using fullscreen mode.

Right after loading Corvega Plant

36-48 fps and 22-26% load in borderless windowed mode.
137 fps and 57% GPU load using fullscreen mode.

I get 68fps and 93% GPU load while using the ultra preset in Fullscreen in Diamond City and 95fps and 75% GPU load after loading Corvega Plant. With my preferred settings at 1440p fullscreened, I get 61fps and 99% GPU load in Diamond City and 64 fps and 99% in Corvega Plant. I actually didn't expect this game to max out my GPU at only about 60fps but there ya go.

Results may vary slightly based on companion and weapon used.

It's actually great that you brought this issue up because I was using borderless windowed mode and the frame rate straight up sucked. I don't know of any game that has this drastic of a difference between fullscreen and windowed mode. Usually it only causes increased GPU load. Perhaps some program is taking priority over the game when using borderless windowed mode.

Hmm, when I think about it, this game must have doubled buffered v-sync enabled when using borderless windowed mode, doesn't it? I have a 144Hz monitor which would explain why the frame rate runs at 36 or 48 fps. It's still strange that I don't hit 72 fps since I can do higher than that in fullscreen mode.

I think I tried messing around with Borderless and fullscreen; the latter causes input lag and stuttering. I am fairly certain that I turned borderless off via the ini files.

Edit AGAIN: Fallout 4 still runs like shit. So it is the fucking stupid game engine after all. I will uninstall all mods or freaking do a fresh install of the game. I also tested the game on Windowed and Windowed borderless--both ran like shit. I am uninstalling all the mods.

The edit of all edits, and the conclusion of this epic journey of bitching on forums: It was a mod that caused the problem. Now I have to freaking install them back and try to determine which one of those dumb mods caused this fiasco. I fixed my GPU by mistake thanks to that piece of shit modder.

EatChildren

What are the best games to test? I've done TW3 and JC3. Very pleased with the results buuuut

I feel like playing OW at Epic/150% render/120fps ULMB isnt doing the card justice...

The Witcher 3 with tweaks is still one of the most demanding games out there, but it puts a lot of stress on the CPU and the engine really isn't built with optimization in mind for the tweaks that push it beyond standard limits, so it's likely you'll see some stuttering.

Battlefront seems to be a game that isn't too taxing on the CPU but does a great job of giving your GPU a workout. It's across the board on modern effects, has impressive texture resolution and scene density, and the resolution scaler lets you continue stressing the GPU even when Ultra isn't a problem. On my 1080 I can play Battlefront maxed out (no AA) at 1440p with 130% and still hit 60+fps. From memory 150% @ 1440p is technical 4K.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is also a decent stress test as, like Battlefront, it's pushing a lot of modern effects. Downside is it seems to have some optimization issues and my guts say as Frostbite's first true "open world game" it's got some CPU bound issues that Battlefront does not.

DrProfBitseys

Neo Member
So I just got in a FTW and a Strix OC. I am currently on a 670 FTW, but haven't owned any ASUS cards. Does anybody know of any comparisons between the two? Not sure which to keep and which to sell to my friend, and I don't want to be a jerk and open both.

Top Bottom