• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

The first and 2nd batches will, yes. EVGA will be instantly sold out for at least a month. thus why I just bit the bullet and got an FE.

I just hope we can get concrete release dates soon. Right now whoever has stock first in between MSI ASUS or EVGA is going to get my money.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Any Hybrids or SeaHawks announced yet?

I have a node 605 and my current 1080FE is dying in there I think.

1080Ti upgrade should likely be a water cooled solution.

I almost build in a 605 but didnt because of the lack of room for watercooling. Curious where you plan to place the radiator?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I just hope we can get concrete release dates soon. Right now whoever has stock first in between MSI ASUS or EVGA is going to get my money.

PNY seems to have just got their cards to retailers yesterday (Its what I ordered). EVGA was in stock for all of 5 seconds at best buy yesterday.

I almost build in a 605 but didnt because of the lack of room for watercooling. Curious where you plan to place the radiator?

.......was secretly hoping everything i've read about the radiator not being able to fit was false.

=(

E: Although if i remove the only HD cage that's in there (holding 2 SSDs that could be double sided sticky taped to the lid or something) I might be able to fit it in the corner opposite the mobo

dr_rus

Thanks. Yeah its a lottery whether you can buy one.

It's not if you're willing to wait for a couple of months until the initial demand will be satisfied. Considering that there's like nothing but Prey coming between now and end of August which would need fast hardware, I don't know why people are so desperate to get any FE really. Maybe that's just me as an owner of 1080OC though.

Weevilone

It's not if you're willing to wait for a couple of months until the initial demand will be satisfied. Considering that there's like nothing but Prey coming between now and end of August which would need fast hardware, I don't know why people are so desperate to get any FE really. Maybe that's just me as an owner of 1080OC though.

Plenty of opportunity for people to be dissatisfied with how current games run on their respective gear.

Thought I would chime in after about a week of owning the EVGA FE.

Everything is running great.

Very modest +150 core, and +300 memory. Fairly aggressive fan curve.

In a completely silent room during stress tests, it sounds like a vacuum.

During gaming it doesn't get as loud, and with the volume of speakers at even an average level, you can't really hear it.

With headphones, you can't hear it at all.

The noise doesn't bother me anymore.

I can understand disturbing others with the noise, but if that is not a concern, I wouldn't worry about it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
.......was secretly hoping everything i've read about the radiator not being able to fit was false.

=(

E: Although if i remove the only HD cage that's in there (holding 2 SSDs that could be double sided sticky taped to the lid or something) I might be able to fit it in the corner opposite the mobo

Yep, its true, people have to majorly modify them to fit, and its not just length, its height too.

I ended up getting a Lian Li PC-05SX so I could put a 240mm radiator in a case designed for it. But that cost $300 lol.

*sorry for the double post*

dr_rus

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AORUS pictured

AORUS-GTX-1080-Ti-1000x1000.jpg

So we have Aorus replacing G1 and Aorus Xtreme Edition replacing Xtreme now...

paskowitz

I really think Gigabyte (Auros) has taken a step back in terms of design.

Windforce
pressshot.jpg

Xtreme
maxresdefault.jpg

The 980 Ti Xtreeeeeeeme was pretty nice with the BMW halo eye-esk lighting.

Even though it is ridiculously overpriced for 99% of people the EVGA K|NGP|N has always been one of the sexiest air cooled cards. Probably the only card that makes me want to do aircooling vs water.

Yep, its true, people have to majorly modify them to fit, and its not just length, its height too.

I ended up getting a Lian Li PC-05SX so I could put a 240mm radiator in a case designed for it. But that cost $300 lol.

*sorry for the double post*

Ohhhh, that totally makes sense. As in, the two cords carrying liquid come off the top of the card when mounted and probably hit the lid really quick. that makes sense.

And yeah, i saw where guys had Dremel'd squares into the top of the case to make that work. Yikes!

Eh, $300 isn't bad. Cases are reusable. Also, I pony'd up more for the 605 because it's going in with a bunch of other home theater gear. gotta look the part, ya know?

Maybe i'll just have to hang tight for Volta. I can't, in good conscience, pump more heat into that case.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ohhhh, that totally makes sense. As in, the two cords carrying liquid come off the top of the card when mounted and probably hit the lid really quick. that makes sense.

And yeah, i saw where guys had Dremel'd squares into the top of the case to make that work. Yikes!

Eh, $300 isn't bad. Cases are reusable. Also, I pony'd up more for the 605 because it's going in with a bunch of other home theater gear. gotta look the part, ya know?

Maybe i'll just have to hang tight for Volta. I can't, in good conscience, pump more heat into that case.

Consider this case also: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KV6ACLO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I love my Lian Li, but it has cooling problems around the GPU area (I'm actually cutting it open on the side adding 2 92mm fans to help). If it doesnt help I'll be switching to the Thermaltake as, when its horizontal, its the perfect size to go with HTPC gear (like mine currently is).

Another fun one that will fit a 120mm radiator is the Portal Case. I ADORE it, it's good if you want something cool sitting upright next to your media center. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345083

Consider this case also: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KV6ACLO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I love my Lian Li, but it has cooling problems around the GPU area (I'm actually cutting it open on the side adding 2 92mm fans to help). If it doesnt help I'll be switching to the Thermaltake as, when its horizontal, its the perfect size to go with HTPC gear (like mine currently is).

Another fun one that will fit a 120mm radiator is the Portal Case. I ADORE it, it's good if you want something cool sitting upright next to your media center. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345083

Those are both super interesting. The Thermaltake seems really well thought out. Video card can be positioned horizontally and then if you water cool, the cords would run right to the radiator on the front side of the case (which is my other problem. I have everything in a 3 box Salamander, so my 605 vents to the right into the side of the cabinet and to the left into a Pioneer Elite AVR). I'm so so on the looks, but behind closed cabinet doors, who cares i guess.

That Portal case looks like it would be fun to build in, minus the wire management. Also, that thing must be a ventilation nightmare if you're running any OC on your CPU plus a 1080-level card.

E: I realized as I was typing that, considering the cabinet my 605 is stuffed in, I bet I actually would get net net better cooling with that bitfenix by virtue of it just sitting out in the open, even with the compact design.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Those are both super interesting. The Thermaltake seems really well thought out. Video card can be positioned horizontally and then if you water cool, the cords would run right to the radiator on the front side of the case (which is my other problem. I have everything in a 3 box Salamander, so my 605 vents to the right into the side of the cabinet and to the left into a Pioneer Elite AVR). I'm so so on the looks, but behind closed cabinet doors, who cares i guess.

That Portal case looks like it would be fun to build in, minus the wire management. Also, that thing must be a ventilation nightmare if you're running any OC on your CPU plus a 1080-level card.

E: I realized as I was typing that, considering the cabinet my 605 is stuffed in, I bet I actually would get net net better cooling with that bitfenix by virtue of it just sitting out in the open, even with the compact design.

Exactly my thoughts as well on the Portal, being outside the cabnit will make it about equal. Additionally the GPU area is apparently well ventilated and issolated pretty well. Add to that you have the room to do a push pull 120mm radiator, I think it has a lot of potential.

Luminaire

All that is currently available are FE's, no third party card has been released yet. Going by current dates it seems like mid/late next month we'll see the first trickle in.

Ah, for some reason I thought third party cards were starting to trickle out but we just couldn't get a hold of them. Makes sense. Ugh! Waiting sucks. :(

Pretty minor default overclocks so far, the biggest gain of custom editions for 1080Ti seems to be in cooling performance.

I realize we don't have benchmarks yet for third party cards, but is the cooling impact so large such that they're running at temps lower than 1080s? Or is the cooling "good," but you should still expect a temp increase commensurate with the TDP increase?

Exactly my thoughts as well on the Portal, being outside the cabnit will make it about equal. Additionally the GPU area is apparently well ventilated and issolated pretty well. Add to that you have the room to do a push pull 120mm radiator, I think it has a lot of potential.

And you can fit a full sized 1080Ti like card on the top? That's some very impressive design.

Okay so I removed and returned the arctic accleero hyrbid iii, and installed a evga waterblock using the stock plates on my 1080ti fe

everything runs great, +175 core, +350 mem easily, with temps <50.

My only complaint is that this 120mm fan on the evga hybrid is a bit loud, the accelero was much more quiet but that was a different vrm fan and 140mm

I ordered some corsair sp120 quiet fans to see if it will help.

Just remember, nothing will ever be as loud as a reference air-cooled GTX 480.

V_Arnold

what are some of the ways that people are keeping track of when stock pops up?

I'd guess you can write a simple script that searches for a term in a site, and if the result page contain more than 0 results, then you can collect that link and send an automated email about it. Takes like an hour or less to whip such a script together.

Zabojnik

paskowitz

Also, if history is any guide... unless you get in on the first wave of order... good luck getting one for at least a month. EVGA's 980 Ti Hybrid was a horrific experience. Thing was sold out, except for .003 seconds at random times, for like 3 months.

Top Bottom