• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: "Next batch of mobile phones will outperform 360 and PS3"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zil33184

Huh? Why are you including CPU, this isn't the Cell, it doesn't help with graphics, only drives logic and can become a bottleneck but can't magically push pixels with the GPU.

Eh? I'm pretty sure the CPU aided in triangle setup and culling and other graphics tasks. You could for example take a buffer break it into tiles and determine how many lights affect each tile before sending it back to the GPU to be shaded. The GPU was able to read L2 cache, afterall.

Sure on Cell if you had a G-buffer you would just shade on the SPUs, but implying Xenon was only good for "logic" is incorrect.

Xion86

And have your battery life drained within half a day so you can't use your phone for...you know...messaging and calling.

Gxgear

And have your battery life drained within half a day so you can't use your phone for...you know...messaging and calling.

I would kill for half a day if I've been running any games for an extended amount of time. Battery is the true bottleneck for mobile gaming.

The argument was more about Nvidia mobile SoC outperforming 360/PS3 (at the time Nvidia was still trying to target their mobile tech for smartphones lol).
As far as graphics for gaming there are inherent constraints on Smartphones (battery usage since they are not dedicated gaming devices and smartphones gaming app budgetary) and Nvidia own Shield line (small installbase of a few 100K worldwide and being Android based) that won't make Nvidia SoC shines unless it is in a dedicated gaming device like Switch.
The "joke" is that Nvidia mobile SoC proved to outperform 360/PS3 level not with Tegra K1 (Logan as implied in OP) but with Tegra X1 and had to wait to win a contract with Nintendo (custom Tegra X1 being at the base of Switch hybrid solution).

It's a facetious bump though, consider it a time capsule.
Tegra K1 runs Trine 2 and other games very well, I'm sure it could run anything PS360 run and then some if properly ported and without being hindred by Android. (Switch 0.5 in November 2014)

j0hnnix

*Sees first post*

Damn what a bump.

Implying that the Switch doesn't outperform PS360 or that the Switch isn't a mobile phone? Not sure what you're saying here.

Wait what happened.. The switch can't out perform the ps/360 and its not a mobile phone. I need to get in my DeLorean.

Zil33184

Tegra K1 runs Trine 2 and other games very well, I'm sure it could run anything PS360 run and then some if properly ported and without being hindred by Android. (Switch 0.5 in November 2014)

Overall I'm pretty sure RSX+Cell would have comparable shader throughput. However TK1 has a maximum of 17GB/s memory bandwidth and as seen by Switch you'd have to downclock it dramatically to make it a functional mobile.

On the plus side it's not crippled by available memory like last gen consoles.

Overall I'm pretty sure RSX+Cell would have comparable shader throughput. However TK1 has a maximum of 17GB/s memory bandwidth and as seen by Switch you'd have to downclock it dramatically to make it a functional mobile.

On the plus side it's not crippled by available memory like last gen consoles.
Yeah, it's true that without TBR K1 would have problems with bandwidth... Unless it had a secondary memory pool and TBR could be done in software... Didn't Xbox 360 do that for its 10MB eDRAM?

Donnie

Switch isn't even quite twice as powerful as Wii U, but it at least has more RAM and a better processor. Do we know if its GPU has any significant L2 cache, which in addition to tiling and improved color compression is what gave Maxwell such an edge over Kepler?

Switch in handheld mode is already more powerful than WiiU. That's clear considering it runs Zelda at the same resolution as WiiU but with a better framerate. Just to run equally well would already take more power, because the game was designed specifically for WiiU not Switch.

Switch docked mode is then twice as powerful again (at least in terms of the GPU).

DonMigs85

Switch in handheld mode is already more powerful than WiiU. That's clear considering it runs Zelda at the same resolution as WiiU but with a better framerate. Just to run equally well would already take more power, because the game was designed specifically for WiiU not Switch.

Switch docked mode is then twice as powerful again (at least in terms of the GPU).
I do wonder which platform has more effective memory bandwidth though. Wii U only had 12.8GB/sec on its main RAM, but fast 32MB eDRAM.
Switch on the other hand has dual-channel 1600MHz with 25.6GB/sec, and I'm assuming the GPU has some amount of L2 cache, maybe 256KB at the very least.

Donnie

I do wonder which platform has more effective memory bandwidth though. Wii U only had 12.8GB/sec on its main RAM, but fast 32MB eDRAM.
Switch on the other hand has dual-channel 1600MHz with 25.6GB/sec, and I'm assuming the GPU has some amount of L2 cache, maybe 256KB at the very least.

As you mentioned early TBR will be present same as any Tegra since Maxwell. Which does have a very similar bandwidth saving compared to using a large framebuffer sized pool of eDRAM like WiiU.

But yeah it'll be interesting to see if any other modifications have been made in that respect.

AP90

Xbox or Surface phone...

"Backwards compatibility included"

This is cool to hear, but I don't play games on my phone. I read e-books though =D

Donnie

I've been hearing this since 2013. Eventually it has to happen, right?

Probably will once phones get to 10nm SoCs, bandwidth will continue to be a struggle with current battery tech though. I mean phones have to work under extremely strict power usage. As an example Switch uses 6-7w in handheld mode, phones need to get by on 2-3w at most.

While this thread is here i'll mention that quite often I think about the early days of iphones and how I was playing basic 3D games on them only several years ago, no we have devices that are super impressive for how small and thin they are.

wildfire

Banned
No it's not.

Xbox 360
*Xenon CPU: 115 GFlops
*Xenos GPU: 240 GFlops
*Total: 355 GFlops

Switch
docked mode: 393 GFlops.
portable mode: 153 or 196 GFlops.

Flops

Performance based on parallelism being stated the same as performance for asynchronous execution.

Brilliant!

Syntsui

No one doubts they will be more sophisticated and powerful devices than the last generation of consoles, current phones already are.

What a weird thing to compare though, no phone will handle a game any of those console could without a severe improvement to the batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom