• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA: PS4 GPU 3x less powerful than Titan, but more powerful than Xbox 720

raven777

The interesting thing about this graph that's going to be ignored is the widening gap between PC and consoles. I honestly wonder why/how the 360 and PS3 were on par with the high end GPUs and the PS4/Nextbox aren't.

I don't think they had $1000 GPUs during that time, but I might be wrong.

spwolf

Oh god, here we go again.

Let me pre-cap the thread:
- salty
- console optimization
- to the metal
- carmack
- overhead
- $3000 PCs

Did I miss anything?

pretty much covered it all, glad you came to your senses.. although did not mention major win for AMD in supplying these consoles with GPU. Unless you think Nvidia would be doing same thing if they won console business?

Portugeezer

The interesting thing about this graph that's going to be ignored is the widening gap between PC and consoles at launch. I honestly wonder why/how the 360 and PS3 were on par with the high end GPUs and the PS4/Nextbox aren't.

Because PS4/Nextbox are coming later than usual, go back to 2011 and how would it stack up? Of course, PS4/Nextbox would also be more expensive with similar specs back in 2011.

Spongebob

Banned
The interesting thing about this graph that's going to be ignored is the widening gap between PC and consoles at launch. I honestly wonder why/how the 360 and PS3 were on par with the high end GPUs and the PS4/Nextbox aren't.
They're not on par with high end GPUs because the high end GPUs of today draw far more power and generate far more heat than what's reasonable for a console sized box. Die sizes for the high end GPUs of today are also rather big, so yields wouldn't be very good for chip that tens of millions of need to be produced.

coldfoot

Banned
To be honest with you PC graphics power over consoles are meaningless to most people even in this gen, and it'll be even more meaningless next gen, when there are no PC exclusives that push the graphics envelope. All you're playing are console ports with better image quality, and the image quality difference will be even less with PS4/720 since they'll get 1080p resolution and 60 fps will be a lot more common too. Who cares if the Titan has 3X the horsepower of the PS4 if a game is being optimized to run at 1080p/60 on the PS4? What else are you going to get with the Titan? Multimonitor and >1080p support are niche stuff that won't amount to a lot of sales, so all I can really see is supersampling, which won't make a dramatic difference in IQ over the PS4 already running at 1080p with AA.

You make it sound like videocard never go out bad. =X

But I also do agree that this gen's console had some high failure rate. I don't expect next gen would follow its footstep, however. (with all talk about efficiency over power craziness)

15 yrs of gaming I've had a RROD and 2 OG XBOX drive deaths and zero video card deaths.

Eusis

Because PS4/Nextbox are coming later than usual, go back to 2011 and how would it stack up? Of course, PS4/Nextbox would also be more expensive with similar specs back in 2011.
Or have lesser specs.

And honestly? Look at the ones that exceed "the best" on PC: Xbox systems that made massive losses early on. Microsoft went CRAZY in a way that really wasn't the norm, for better or worse (I'm kind of inclined to think "worst" given it doesn't really seem sustainable to be doing that so much and not very fair to competition that doesn't have other businesses to make up the losses on), everyone else was presumably a bit worse than the best reasonably priced PC of the time, at best specializing in unique esoteric ways (where were the smooth scrolling PC games of the 80s?)

Durante

There are two main reasons for that:
- price: both MS and Sony want to lose less/no money on hardware this time around
- power: as in Watts. Modern high-end GPUs consume far more power than what used to be the case. Quite a bit more power, in fact, than an entire console uses.

mike-cerny.png

Is he wearing a little girls party dress?

SparkTR

To be honest with you PC graphics power over consoles are meaningless to most people even in this gen, and it'll be even more meaningless next gen, when there are no PC exclusives that push the graphics envelope. All you're playing are console ports with better image quality, and the image quality difference will be even less with PS4/720 since they'll get 1080p resolution and 60 fps will be a lot more common too. Who cares if the Titan has 3X the horsepower of the PS4 if a game is being optimized to run at 1080p/60 on the PS4? What else are you going to get with the Titan? Multimonitor and >1080p support are niche stuff that won't amount to a lot of sales, so all I can really see is supersampling, which won't make a dramatic difference in IQ over the PS4 already running at 1080p with AA.

VR (Oculus Rift), 4K and hardware intensive games like Star Citizen, Rome II Total War and ArmA 3. When used together (Star Citizen VR) you'll need a powerful rig, more than the next gen consoles without any compromises.

Do you even PC? This gen even when I was running an 8800GT the PC was better then consoles. The difference in IQ and frame rate was large. Why do you think next gen will be different?

derExperte

You make it sound like videocard never go out bad. =X

Irrelevant because as a PC gamer it's a requirement to buy a new every 6 months so if one dies it's still in warranty. But seriously, other than a 8800GT I never had any problems while some friends bought way more than one or two 360s over the last years. And don't forget the ones that understandably couldn't deal with the horrible noise the early ones before the redesign made and bought one just because of that. This gen was a lot but not 'buy and forget' (PS1 with it's dying laser wasn't either btw). Let's hope next gen is more solid out of the gate.

stryke

Gaming PCs are now brute forcing their way to 500+ watts. For the sake of cost, heat, form factor, etc consoles are trying to remain at around a TDP of 200 W.

Razgreez

That chart is a complete lie. Nvidia clearly stated the PS3 GPU was rated at almost 2000gflops making it more powerful than the PS4

TDP.

The card in the picture (7800 gtx) had a TDP of only 80 watt:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/127/NVIDIA_7800_GTX.html

The Titan on the other hand have a TDP of 250 Watt:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1996/NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_TITAN.html

Today GPUs use way more power than they used in the past, it's also probably the reason why consoles can't fit high end GPUs inside them anymore.

Why is NVIDIA talking crap about consoles all of a sudden?
perfect time to sell their overpriced graphic cards, engines changing, new consoles soon that will raise the min requirements. good time to come out and say our stuff is 10x better than ps4 and xbox 720.....

maketing 101

Portugeezer

You think that Nvidia would be talking shit about Vita since they made a direct competitor to it.

To me it seems like they want to keep some of the console crowd PC caught due to this long console generation. PC gaming is doing very well and I think some of it in the last few years is to do with that; anyone could get any PC and easily outmatch their console.

Now we're back to talking about $500-$1000 single GPU's, whole console (assumed) price vs expensive single GPU, all is normal.

Durante

perfect time to sell their overpriced graphic cards, engines changing, new consoles soon that will raise the min requirements. good time to come out and say our stuff is 10x better than ps4 and xbox 720
They are not saying that though, they are sticking with the facts.

coldfoot

Banned
Do you even PC? This gen even when I was running an 8800GT the PC was better then consoles. The difference in IQ and frame rate was large. Why do you think next gen will be different?
I played ME3, Just Cause 2 and some others on the PC. Yes having higher resolutions and framerate are nice but not really worth giving up an UI that's designed to be navigatable only via a single controller, and trophies :) (Steam Achievements are a joke)

What I'm saying is that's this gen. We have a hard limit of 1080p as 4K, VR are all going to be niche for the duration of the next generation consoles, that's why I don't see PC gaming being very appealing over console gaming when graphics advantages are compared.

VR (Oculus Rift), 4K and hardware intensive games like Star Citizen, Rome II Total War and ArmA 3. When used together (Star Citizen VR) you'll need a powerful rig, more than the next gen consoles without any compromises.
None of those are not even mid-market let alone mass-market.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The high end PC GPU market really seems quite different from what it's ever been before. There is a pretty huge margin of difference in power of cards that are considered high end and then the ones that are absolute beasts. I think most people would consider something like the 7950 to be a high end component but even that has a huge power deficiency compared to a Titan.

I played ME3, Just Cause 2 and some others on the PC. Yes having higher resolutions and framerate are nice but not really worth giving up an UI that's designed to be navigatable only via a single controller, and trophies :) (Steam Achievements are a joke)

What I'm saying is that's this gen. We have a hard limit of 1080p as 4K, VR are all going to be niche for the duration of the next generation consoles, that's why I don't see PC gaming being very appealing over console gaming when graphics advantages are compared.

Trophies are a joke compared to the 360 achievement system, so its odd that you think Steam achievements are a joke.

Also, 60fps is not going to be happening with any consistency this console gen. So there's that.

coldfoot

Banned
Trophies are a joke compared to the 360 achievement system, so its not that you think Steam achievements are a joke.
You get a level and individual counts of trophies you get at each level with the PSN system. It's better than a lumped score like the 360 uses. If you're talking about implementation and how slow PS3 is syncing trophies, that's different.

Also, 60fps is not going to be happening with any consistency this console gen. So there's that.
We don't know that, but given how unpopular PC is with console ports this gen, I expect that trend to continue when the difference between PC and console is even less.

They're the same goddamned thing.
Not built into the OS (Windows) so not the same thing.

FroJay

Banned
Kinda wishing Sony had gone with 4 gigs and more graphics power. The RAM is nice, but doubling that RAM could have gotten them more graphical power than what they ended up with. I'm not dropping $1000 on a graphics card though so sorry Nvidia.

Edit: And I do agree the trophy system is a joke compared to achievements, I prefer the achievement system hands down. Either way though, unless MS pulls off a miracle I'm jumping ship.

SparkTR

IQ and 60fps are still going to be factors, and 4K and VR will become less of a niche in 2/3 years (VR especially). HDTVs were niche in 2005, technology doesn't stagnate.

Maztorre

Judging by some of the replies in here it's a wonder PC GAF can run anything, what with the constant driver updates, .dll editing and the need to throw out your hardware every week that we all know is intrinsic to PC gaming.

On Topic: this kind of performance increase bodes really well for stuff like running console ports through the final Oculus Rift with high frames/IQ. Any high-end card released around the time of the consumer Rift will be running stereoscopic console ports trivially.

Top Bottom