• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Shield Thread

Alchemy

Couldn't find a topic about this yet, but it looks like Nvidia has an Nvidia Shield Portable v2 in the works:

WiFi certification site: https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finder-results?subcategories=11
Bluetooth certification site: https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/QLI_viewQDL.cfm?qid=22779

It is being listed as "NVIDIA Shield Portable P2523"

From the looks of it, it will have Bluetooth 4.1, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi, Android 5.0, and will have the Nvidia Tegra X1 processor.

If you were thinking about buying the original model at a jacked up price, might want to hold off until this is confirmed.

source: https://liliputing.com/2015/03/next-gen-nvidia-shield-portable-game-console-coming-soon.html

Will buy. The X1 looks damn sexy and it is way too far into the original Shields life span for me to really want to bite the bullet and buy one. If the X1 can run Dolphin at full speed holy shit...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Fucking remote gamestream. :mad:

This used to work like a couple months ago. Local game stream works fine, but remote is a no-go (says my computer is offline).

turned on my shield portable today and got prompted for an android firmware update.

everything looks different now.

Yeah they updated it to 5.x, totally fucked the power management on mine. It falls asleep and only wakes up about 10% of the time without a full reboot, and once in a while goes through the "optimising apps" phase which is only meant to happen after an update when you get it back on. Almost the exact same thing happened to my Nexus 5 when the 5 update came out.

DrMcNulty

Yeah they updated it to 5.x, totally fucked the power management on mine. It falls asleep and only wakes up about 10% of the time without a full reboot, and once in a while goes through the "optimising apps" phase which is only meant to happen after an update when you get it back on. Almost the exact same thing happened to my Nexus 5 when the 5 update came out.

I've been holding off. I think I'll keep waiting.

MrGerbils

I wish Android gaming with controller support was more of a thing. I really like the shield portable and it has decent power, just not a lot of original native games.

Steel

Banned

Not to mention they got rid of the default browser that had proper controller compatibility with the update. And changing the shield button to a voice control shortcut was a terrible decision.

Psykotik

Not to mention they got rid of the default browser that had proper controller compatibility with the update. And changing the shield button to a voice control shortcut was a terrible decision.

turned on my shield yesterday and got another firmware update. they fixed the shield button back to how it used to be.

DrMcNulty

Any guides out there to use a wired ethernet connection with the og shield?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I purchased these two adapters which work really well.

Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88178 Chipset) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2XB12C4619

StarTech UUSBOTG 5in Micro USB to USB OTG Host Adapter M/F http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12-400-315

Sorry for the bump. Nvidia's Facebook rep confirmed that they are "working on something" in regards to the Shield Portable. That is the closest thing we have officially heard to a confirmation that the Portable is still alive.

Erekiddo

What are you using it for? There are other devices better suited for certain needs, but nvidia streaming is nice with this device.

Trying to stream Steam games from my upstairs PC to my downstairs TV. This seems cheaper than an entertainment only PC.

Steam Link didn't work well for me at all.

Iorv3th

Trying to stream Steam games from my upstairs PC to my downstairs TV. This seems cheaper than an entertainment only PC.

Why didn't steam link work well? If it's network issues you will probably have the same issues with a shield.

Shield is a great device but I wouldn't get one just for streaming.

Nvidia streaming is better than Steam streaming so in this case, it is good.

Just make sure to wire both ends with ethernet. We don't have good enough wifi streaming at this point in history to make that endeavour worth your time

Erekiddo

Why didn't steam link work well? If it's network issues you will probably have the same issues with a shield.

Shield is a great device but I wouldn't get one just for streaming.

I've had issues with it since I bought it.

I have a particularly beefy PC, hardwired, on one end. On the other end, the Steam Link, I've even ran an ethernet cord from it into a Google Wifi puck, and it runs just about as bad as if it were on Wifi. I get that a mesh environment is still Wifi-ish, but I'm not entirely sure how else to get a hardwired connection on both ends.

I've changed the settings on the client and Steam Link, in hopes that changing settings from balanced to speed, or vise versa would help, but it didn't. Still terribly choppy.

I also tried a Powerline adapter and that was a joke.

Krakn3Dfx

Picked up the 2017 Shield late last week on a friend's advice. After sideloading a few things and getting my Harmony remote to work with it through a Flirc USB adapter, I gotta say, this is by far the coolest little multimedia device I've used to date. Before, I had a Roku 4, Chromecast, and a Steam Link hooked to our main family room PC, I was able to box all of those up and just use the Shield for everything they did.

The Shield's PC streaming has noticeably less latency than the Link with almost no artifacting, it's a godsend having a wired Googlecast option for streaming sporting events, and the HD Homerun OTA TV app works great. The controller is also way better than I thought it was going to be based on pictures, I'd pretty much resigned myself to pairing a DS4 or XB1 controller with it, but haven't really felt the need. I played a bunch of Dark Souls 2, Just Cause 3, and Lego Worlds on it over the weekend, and it's been 99% flawless, which Just Cause 3 crashing once remotely. I would say from a quality/artifacting/stability standpoint, the Link is maybe like 80% on a good day for me.

Top Bottom