• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer finds a video of Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond showing regret over closing Lionhead

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just saw this. You can see both Sarah Bond and Phil Spencer in one of those carefully crafted PR videos designed to show MS execs as human. They talk about how they reflected on the studio closure and were determined not to make the same mistake again.

NX gamer says they have learned nothing. But I think they didnt mean it back then. This was lip service like everything else they say.

Timestamped:

How these people are still incharge after fucking up for over a decade now is beyond me.

How these people are still incharge after fucking up for over a decade now is beyond me.

8867.Microsoft_5F00_Logo_2D00_for_2D00_screen.jpg

I think this is from the Xbox documentary. They even got Mattrick back if you never watched it.

But yeah, either they're shameless liars or they got overruled. Same end result either way.

Man I remember sitting through that entire documentary. That was back when I thought my Series X had some fight left in it.
But then Starfield released and I just don't put any weight on what xbox execs say. Lots of talk just like the documentary. None of the games. Again just like that documentary.
You need a fridge full of drinks to get through it before you dry up and blow away. Like the Xbox brand.

DAHGAMING

This broke my heart 💔, you can see how painfull it is for them, I can only imagine the type of pain there going through with the recent news. There real good people and know what there doing, I realy back them abd thank them for the monster console and Xbox showcase each yr showing me games that never release.

Just saw this. You can see both Sarah Bond and Phil Spencer in one of those carefully crafted PR videos designed to show MS execs as human. They talk about how they reflected on the studio closure and were determined not to make the same mistake again.

NX gamer says they have learned nothing. But I think they didnt mean it back then. This was lip service like everything else they say.

Timestamped:

Phil must have dirt on Satya and Sarah Bond is part of the untouchable protected class.

This broke my heart 💔, you can see how painfull it is for them, I can only imagine the type of pain there going through with the recent news. There real good people and know what there doing, I realy back them abd thank them for the monster console and Xbox showcase each yr showing me games that never release.
Touching words, thank you for sharing. I agree wholeheartedly 🕯️ :messenger_heart: 🐤

GHG

Phil Spencer then with regards to acquisitions and the handling of studios:

"your job is to accelerate what they do, not them accelerate what you do"

Phil Spencer last year regarding the yet to be acquired (at the time) Activision Blizzard:

"The acquisition was intended to speed up Microsoft's gaming plans, but doesn't represent the entirety of the company's gaming strategy, which will move ahead even without Activision."

Will Smith Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Podcast Unlocked was playing that same video. Past words are being measured up against current deeds and are found wanting.

I think it's pretty clear Nadella and the bean counters are making the calls now.

Nadella's crew was calling the shots for years after Mattrick's exit. They let up for a few years 2017 to 2022 which is when we saw XGS being built up, and Game Pass coming to fruition. Since the Starfield flop and ATVI deal closed, they are back in the saddle to double down on their winners and trim the losers (financially).

rm082e

I started out at the bottom of the totem pole. Over the last 20 years, I've climbed up the ladder enough to be the guy who has to deliver the news that the company is laying people off. It's really hard.

One thing I've learned along the way is that the C-Suite positions select for people who can put the value of the company over the livelihood of the employees. You have to be able to ignore and override your personal feelings and do whatever is needed to maximize company value.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I started out at the bottom of the totem pole. Over the last 20 years, I've climbed up the ladder enough to be the guy who has to deliver the news that the company is laying people off. It's really hard.

One thing I've learned along the way is that the C-Suite positions select for people who can put the value of the company over the livelihood of the employees. You have to be able to ignore and override your personal feelings and do whatever is needed to maximize company value.
Before retiring, I was in a senior leadership position in the military and I can relate to the difficulty of having to be the person to make tough, often unpopular choices. There were also many times where they weren’t even my decisions yet I nonetheless had to deliver the news due to my position. It fucking sucked looking people directly in the eyes while you’re telling them the last thing they want to hear.

But there’s a huge difference between telling hard truths, and being duplicitous. Spencer is carved from a culture that will spew bullshit to your face, bask in adulation from sycophants who praise him for his words, and relies on said sycophants to play defense when it comes to his actual deeds which have been what I would argue to be a net negative for gaming. Especially when compared to say, what J. Allard, Peter Moore, and Robbie Bach did during the Xbox and early Xbox 360 era. Even the red ring of death and being the only ones charging money for online multiplayer couldn’t stop the train back then because the games were that good!

When you are in a leadership position, it is important to be honest with the folks you lead. Trust is paramount. Never make promises you can’t keep. You can be simultaneously unpopular and yet still command respect. Phil Spencer doesn’t command respect because no one trusts him, as he keeps spewing empty platitudes and making broken promises year after year. He accepts lifetime achievement awards on the backs of others while whining and blaming external factors when he gets called out on failing to deliver tangible results. He is a walking, talking used-car-salesman stereotype, telling people what they want to hear in order to make a sale and not much beyond. The consequence is the entire Xbox division has remained in free-fall.

Shutting down Tango after basking in the achievements that development team earned is mind-boggling, and is a decision that can only be reached in a slimy, soulless, out-of-touch corporation led by wet farts for human beings equipped with jello in place of spines. The ultimate message from Microsoft is, even sales success followed by numerous awards and prestige most teams can only dream of will still get you shut down. Morale is undoubtedly worsened across all development studios under their umbrella. Absolutely dumb, but hey. Phil Spencer gets to keep his job! But people on Twitter are being mean, so his buddy Mike Ybarra is here to reassure us that Phil cares. lmao

ReBurn

Gold Member
At this point about the only thing that could restore trust is new leadership. Booty, Bond and Spencer all need best wishes as they pursue new opportunities.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Nadella's crew was calling the shots for years after Mattrick's exit. They let up for a few years 2017 to 2022 which is when we saw XGS being built up, and Game Pass coming to fruition. Since the Starfield flop and ATVI deal closed, they are back in the saddle to double down on their winners and trim the losers (financially).

In other words: absolutely anytime MS Gaming is doing something you like, it was the work of Phil Spencer himself, anytime something bad happens (poorly reviewed games, studio closures, price increases, etc) Phil had just left the room for a toilet break and Satya Nadella went crazy and started reversing all the good things Phil had done ...

When do you guys realize that Phil Spencer is the f***ng CEO of MS Gaming and is ultimately responsible for everything that goes on at Xbox?

At this point about the only thing that could restore trust is new leadership. Booty, Bond and Spencer all need best wishes as they pursue new opportunities.
Agreed but Booty and Spencer would be axed and Bond wouldn’t. Bad optics to fire a woman of color in a major leadership role. Also, MS is all in on dei and wokeness so they would NEVER get rid of her. Instead they would propably promote her after firing the other two. Typical of what is happening a lot nowadays at most companies.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member

Bro nobody is hurting more than Phil Spencer, okay? He's a good man and he is really struggling with all of this.

Maybe Mike and Phil can get together with one of the biggest companies in the world and show Xbox how it's done.

Top Bottom