• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

ARE YOU READY FOR POPEMAGEDDON

My office is closing early on Thursday and Friday to deal with the traffic so that's cool I guess.

Yeah, I get to work from home on Friday since my office is right near MSG. At least that's one perk kinda maybe? Is it supposed to be crazy on Thursday too?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I work two blocks away from St. Patrick's Cathedral. Awwww yeah.

Only problem I'll be facing is figuring out what I'm doing for lunch (food trucks aren't going to be coming out) and maybe fighting the crowds to the train when I leave.

fushi

Hey NYC-GAF,

been having a lovely time in your city. I've spent the past week doing a lot of walking, primarily around the Brooklyn area, but also bits of Manhattan and Queens. It's been super interesting and I might do a proper summary after I get back home, with some useful tourist tips.

Quick question though: is there any place I could go to buy small single bottles of craft beer? I was really excited to try them all out, but buying a six pack is too much. I have bought some of those bigger bottles, but I am still missing out on a lot of stuff. Any advice? I am in Williamsburg by the way.

Penguin

Hey NYC-GAF,

been having a lovely time in your city. I've spent the past week doing a lot of walking, primarily around the Brooklyn area, but also bits of Manhattan and Queens. It's been super interesting and I might do a proper summary after I get back home, with some useful tourist tips.

Quick question though: is there any place I could go to buy small single bottles of craft beer? I was really excited to try them all out, but buying a six pack is too much. I have bought some of those bigger bottles, but I am still missing out on a lot of stuff. Any advice? I am in Williamsburg by the way.

There's a ton of places where you can buy single beers and the sort.

Weird as it may be

This is one I go to since close to my place
http://bkbeerandsoda.com/

And if bored at work, sometimes take the A-Train here

http://www.yelp.com/biz/carmine-street-beers-new-york-2

Jhoan

So apparently a couple of Guinness World Records are gonna get attempted in the Marriott Hotel Lounge where I currently sit at writing this post across the street from the Colbert theatre. The magic is happening right behind me. Apparently Ben Schwarz from Parks and Recreation and Victor Cruz are in the house; I'm indifferent to both since never really saw the aforementioned show and don't care about football. If my phone was working, I would have snapped a few pics of what's going on but it's down.

I might end up coming out in the shot in which case, they'll make me sign a release form. Between the popemageddon and UN gridlock, there's never a dull moment in this damn city. They want the people participating in it to market it/share it.

Jhoan

They're trying to stack the largest amount of cups in x time. Right now, Schwarz, Cruz, and the dudes who agreed to sign the release form are rehearsing/practicing diagonal to where I'm sitting at now. Once they got the rhythm, they'll officially do it.

EDIT: They're done.

EDIT 2: Something about a lemon record attempt on now. Guess that explains the bucket of lemons I saw earlier.

fushi

There's a ton of places where you can buy single beers and the sort.

Weird as it may be

This is one I go to since close to my place
http://bkbeerandsoda.com/

And if bored at work, sometimes take the A-Train here

http://www.yelp.com/biz/carmine-street-beers-new-york-2

Beer Boutique? It's by Lorimer.

Edit: The address is 497 Union Ave.
Thanks! Beer Boutique was exactly what I was looking for. And I did finally find a bodega selling bottles from sixpacks as well.

Jhoan

Hoo boy! How about that Joaquin eh guys? Wonder if it's gonna be the hyped up storm the local news is making it out to be going so far as to comparing it to Hurricane Sandy or if it's gonna be a joke. The Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival is this Sunday so I hope the weather is fair and that it doesn't get canned.

Jhoan

In addition to that, the Chik-Fil-A on 37th and 6th is officially open for business as of today. Never had it before so maybe that's a GAF meet up in the future.

A few other things going on in the city this weekend:

The New Yorker Festival
The Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival tomorrow.
There's a Back to The Future Maraton at MoMA today as I type this post.

Other things going down this month:

-GetGeeked NY at the Brooklyn Expo Center on October 15th. It's a tech con. I'll be volunteering there all day.
-The NYC Craft Beer Festival at the Lexington Armory on the third weekend of October. I'll also be volunteering there.
-And of course, next Thursday marks the beginning of the madness that is New York Comic Con. . I hope to see some of you there! A GAF meet up at NYCC still TBD.

Hold on to your butts because October is a jam packed month full of all kinds of video game releases as well. I'm thinking about possibly organizing a GAF meet up for December. Emphasis on maybe depending if there's enough interest.

Penguin

Had one of their sandwiches when they were giving them out by the Garden a few weeks ago... actually good stuff

Wonder how busy it will get

Could be a decent lunch spot

Penguin

Guess... I'll throw this up here too

Anyone going or interested in going to the Zelda concert tonight at Barclay?

Found myself with an extra ticket.. and would rather go with someone.. instead of selling to some stranger to sit next to me haha

Found myself with an extra ticket.. and would rather go with someone.. instead of selling to some stranger to sit next to me haha

Would be very interested in going, but the Mets are playing and I can't miss watching that game.

PM Jipan, he might want to go.

fallengorn

The Zelda concert is tonight? Geez, there's to much going on tonight. del Toro Times Talk, Evil Dead PaleyFest panel....

Jhoan

What time is the concert at? I'm meeting with my boss at the Mariott Hotel Lounge at 5:30PM today but would be free afterwards.

Also, while I'm at it, I'm entertaining the idea of doing a small post-NY Comic Con GAF meet up for either this Friday or Saturday. Time and place to be determined but I'm looking to keep it simple and cheap because my wallet took a beating this past weekend. Sorry I haven't been active in this thread lately guys. Had a string a bad luck that my laptop is gonna need a new battery replacement.

Penguin

What time is the concert at? I'm meeting with my boss at the Mariott Hotel Lounge at 5:30PM today but would be free afterwards.

Also, while I'm at it, I'm entertaining the idea of doing a small post-NY Comic Con GAF meet up for either this Friday or Saturday. Time and place to be determined but I'm looking to keep it simple and cheap because my wallet took a beating this past weekend. Sorry I haven't been active in this thread lately guys. Had a string a bad luck that my laptop is gonna need a new battery replacement.

Looks like the show itself starts at 8pm... I'd probably get there at like 7:30 or so... since have a work function to attend until 7

Sullichin

I'm going! I have a shitty nosebleed seat though.

As for Chick Fil A... I went there yesterday and the line was almost an avenue long, but it moved really fast. They're very efficient. Gonna wait for things to cool off before going back there though.

Jhoan

Looks like the show itself starts at 8pm... I'd probably get there at like 7:30 or so... since have a work function to attend until 7
If that's the case, then it's definitely doable because I can walk over to take the 1 train on 50th street, then transfer to the 2/3 at 42nd and take that all the way down to the Barclay's Center. My meeting should be over by 6:30 since a jazz band plays at the lounge at 7.

Sylas

Figured I should introduce myself to NYCGaf! I just moved to the city about a month and a half ago and I've been loving my time here. Managed to find a job super quickly compared to where I was (Seattle) and overall I love... well, everything about the city compared to the west coast.

I'm living way up near the GWB in Hudson Heights which... well, it's not bad. The A train is a lot more convenient than I ever imagined.

Speaking of Chik-fil-A, I lost my shit when I heard that one was opening here. I lived in the South for 15 years and grew up eating that stuff so it's like a piece of home followed me up here. Kinda sucks about the line, though. Oof.

Penguin

If that's the case, then it's definitely doable because I can walk over to take the 1 train on 50th street, then transfer to the 2/3 at 42nd and take that all the way down to the Barclay's Center. My meeting should be over by 6:30 since a jazz band plays at the lounge at 7.

Swank

Thanks to a friend not feeling well, think just upgraded the seats to floor seat... now I may have my own 2 tickets to give away.

But he has first priority if someone else asks him!

heyo guys! figured i'd ask...

any 12/20 giants/panthers game tickets avail? i hate the markups and shady businesses out there. just looking to get good priced, hopefully discounted tix from a nice gaffer.

might be up for a meet up...moving from wburg to westchester come dec.1 so things might be a bit busy on my end.

fallengorn

How was the Zelda concert? Just saw them on Colbert. Wished I was able to catch it. Especially when del Toro had to cancel his appearance, although Tom Hiddleston was entertaining.

Jhoan

How was the Zelda concert? Just saw them on Colbert. Wished I was able to catch it. Especially when del Toro had to cancel his appearance, although Tom Hiddleston was entertaining.
Having saw it when it was at MSG two years ago, it didn't do anything for me but it was nice as as whole. Heard some new stuff but not a whole lot of it since it was from A Link Between Worlds. I saw the Colbert performance after I got home and realized it was just the intro that they performed. It was nice getting StreetPasses and a pleasure to finally meet Penguin in person so I'm grateful for that. It had too many false endings though!

Jhoan

Village Voice released their best of NYC for this year:

http://www.villagevoice.com/best-of/2015

Nice picks.
Some damn good stuff in there. Will throw it into the OP and make a few notes since there's a ton of great places that would be good for a future GAF meet up.

Was at GetGeeked volunteering all day yesterday and it was fun. Got some pretty cool tech swag out of it that I intend to keep and was face to face with a crap ton of media from all over the city both big and small. Plus free food and and drinks. I ended up feeling bad for not tipping the attractive blonde bartender girl so I did a quick drawing of her that I gave her on the spot which I got a nice thanks for. I should also mention that I was inebriated but I think it came out well from what I remember. Greenpoint never loses its charm even in the fall.

The NYC Craft Beer Festival is on Halloween weekend so I'll be looking for a free Halloween party to hit up after the end of my shift. Saw that there's gonna be one at Bowlmor in Times Square which out great for me location wise. I believe they'll be giving away free tickets too. If only I can get a cool luchador mask, I would be set.

The post-NYCC GAF meet up is also still on the table. I haven't sat down to think about a solid location but I'll keep you guys posted.

Jhoan

After thinking about it, The Uncommons is looking more and more attractive as a location simply because it fits the board game stuff and can talk crap over games.

The Brooklyn Expo Center has the best and cleanest bathroom I've ever been to out of any convention center hands down. It has its own individual glass door stalls that lock so you can relieve yourself in peace. Being there yesterday made me realize that. Also the toilet paper was good quality and not the cheap, huge, thin industrial grade stuff that college bathrooms have. It's the one edge that place has over the Javits Center.

After thinking about it, The Uncommons is looking more and more attractive as a location simply because it fits the board game stuff and can talk crap over games.

The Brooklyn Expo Center has the best and cleanest bathroom I've ever been to out of any convention center hands down. It has its own individual glass door stalls that lock so you can relieve yourself in peace. Being there yesterday made me realize that. Also the toilet paper was good quality and not the cheap, huge, thin industrial grade stuff that college bathrooms have. It's the one edge that place has over the Javits Center.

Board Game Meetup?? I'll bring the craft beer.

Favorite public restroom is near 30 Rock.

Anybody got recommendations for quality haunted houses in or around the city? Preferably ones that aren't just 20-25 minutes of jump scares for $40+.

NimbusD

Anyone doing the Tour de bronx on sunday? My buddy dropped out so I'd be down for a meet up. Would be more fun than just going it alone. Heads up I haven't biked in like a month so I'm completely unprepared for a 40 mile bike ride.

Jhoan

Sylas said:
Figured I should introduce myself to NYCGaf! I just moved to the city about a month and a half ago and I've been loving my time here. Managed to find a job super quickly compared to where I was (Seattle) and overall I love... well, everything about the city compared to the west coast.

I'm living way up near the GWB in Hudson Heights which... well, it's not bad. The A train is a lot more convenient than I ever imagined.

Speaking of Chik-fil-A, I lost my shit when I heard that one was opening here. I lived in the South for 15 years and grew up eating that stuff so it's like a piece of home followed me up here. Kinda sucks about the line, though. Oof.
Welcome! As a Washington Heights native who's lived in the area all my life, I know the area pretty damn well so if you want any recommendations, I can hit you with plenty. I live underneath the GWB. By Hudson Heights, I take it you live in the Ft.Washington/Cabrini area between the 182nd to Ft.Tryon Park? I always tell my outer borough/Long Island friends that living in Manhattan spoils one silly.

There's a couple of GAF members who live in the area including WhyWouldYouDoThat? and NoctisVsStar. It would be cool to have a local GAF meet up in The Heights. But I think it might finally be time to dust off the NYC GAF meet up reigns for something in early/mid December given the new influx of GAF members that have moved into the city. Boston GAF and Toronto GAF are on a roll. November is looking busy for me what with planning to apply as exhibitor at MoCCA Fest next year, the GAF Secret Santa, and of course, Thanksgiving/Black Friday deals among other things.

Anybody got recommendations for quality haunted houses in or around the city? Preferably ones that aren't just 20-25 minutes of jump scares for $40+.
That I wouldn't know about personally but I did find this list with a Google search which lists Blood Manor here in the city as being one of the best: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/top-ten-haunted-houses-new-york-100076.html

Anyone doing the Tour de bronx on sunday? My buddy dropped out so I'd be down for a meet up. Would be more fun than just going it alone. Heads up I haven't biked in like a month so I'm completely unprepared for a 40 mile bike ride.
This is news to me! If I knew how to ride a bike, I would have done it. My bro's bike has been F'ed for the past year that he's looking into getting another one off of craigslist.

I mentioned it last week but got sidetracked. If folks are still on board with the board game cafe idea (pun not intended), I was thinking about tomorrow at say 6PM at The Uncommons. If the interest is there, let me know. Otherwise, I am am going downtown either tonight or tomorrow to pass off the NeoGAF Notebook by xkramz's work place but won't rule out doing an impromptu GAF meet up afterwards---provided it's something cheap because I'm in frugal mode until November rolls in. A show at The Pit would be a likely candidate for an impromptu thing with shooting the breeze at a nearby park (Madison).

Lastly, I wanted to touch on a few final things:

1.If any GAF members were at the Back To The Future II panel/screening at the AMC theatre on 67th and Broadway, I was there with a few friends. It was pretty damn fun and nice to see that everyone has aged well. Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd deserved that standing ovation.
2. If any GAF members are going to the Sonic Boombox Halloween Party at Bowlmor next Saturday, I will also be there as well since they gave away free tickets which I jumped on. I dunno if I'm gonna be wearing a costume/mask yet but I will be dressed in all black since I'll be coming from volunteering at the NYC Craft Beer Festival near the party. If anything, it'll be a shirt tied over my head as a makeshift ninja mask unless I find a decent mask or a make up set on Amazon.

Pixels

Heading to NYC for a weekend. Want to see the Statue of Liberty, Empire State, One World Trade. Do I need a tour group?

Also what area is the best place to stay? Looking for Airbnb.

Pringler

Hey guys!
I'm going to be in NYC from November 1st to the 6th. Any of you up for meeting up and getting a beer?

Flying in from Germany - would be nice to meet some Gaffers.

Top Bottom