• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Jhoan

I like the summer because it means I get to draw/paint en plein air provided I have a large container of water to deal with the humidity. Otherwise, the humidity can piss off because we're gonna die this summer.

In case anyone missed it or doesn't know, guess who's back? Back again? Joe Lhota is back as the MTA chief. Tell a friend. De Blasio said on this The Brian Lehrer Show's Ask The Mayor segment that he respects him despite running against him for mayor.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I like the summer because it means I get to draw/paint en plein air provided I have a large container of water to deal with the humidity. Otherwise, the humidity can piss off because we're gonna die this summer.

In case anyone missed it or doesn't know, guess who's back? Back again? Joe Lhota is back as the MTA chief. Tell a friend. De Blasio said on this The Brian Lehrer Show's Ask The Mayor segment that he respects him despite running against him for mayor.

I honestly didn't see Lhota as MTA chief, mostly because he said he'd never take the job in a million years back in February.

Jhoan

I honestly didn't see Lhota as MTA chief, mostly because he said he'd never take the job in a million years back in February.
Cuomo needed someone to fill in the 5 month gap left by the previous chair who retired so Lhota was called back in because it looks like desperate times called for desperate measures. I think most people would have never expected Lhota to return. Had the MTA been managed by the city/mayor, I'm sure that de Blasio would have picked someone else.

Jhoan

giphy.gif

After all these years of being governor now Cuomo declares the subway a state of emergency?! This should have been rolled ages ago! $1 billion dollars and everyone wants to know where it's going to come from. I'm quite skeptical that it will be allocated and improvements will roll out in a timely fashion because things take ages to roll out here. See the 2nd Ave expansion and GW Bus Terminal (which was not much of an improvement FYI).

The day I see countdown clocks and/or modern trains along the A, is the day I'll be happy satisfied (also no delays would swell).

giphy.gif

After all these years of being governor now Cuomo declares the subway a state of emergency?! This should have been rolled ages ago! $1 billion dollars and everyone wants to know where it's going to come from. I'm quite skeptical that it will be allocated and improvements will roll out in a timely fashion because things take ages to roll out here. See the 2nd Ave expansion and GW Bus Terminal (which was not much of an improvement FYI).

The day I see countdown clocks and/or modern trains along the A, is the day I'll be happy satisfied (also no delays would swell).

Supposedly, this is a big supposedly, the state of emergency should cut much of the red tape that makes things move so slowly here. Then again this is the MTA. The same MTA that has the nerve to increase fares, while services decrease. The same MTA that will build new stations, but ignores the ones in disrepair. The same MTA that is still fixing damage from Hurricane Sandy.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The building of new stations over repairing old ones is Cuomo. He likes shiny new things and repairing shit isn't sexy enough.

Jhoan

Supposedly, this is a big supposedly, the state of emergency should cut much of the red tape that makes things move so slowly here. Then again this is the MTA. The same MTA that has the nerve to increase fares, while services decrease. The same MTA that will build new stations, but ignores the ones in disrepair. The same MTA that is still fixing damage from Hurricane Sandy.

Yeah this sounds like a load bullshit. I sure would love to see it happen in our life time but I doubt it. There's still way too much red tape/bureacracy in the city to do anything in general. They promised not to increase fares but went ahead and did any way because lol budget gap. Despite it running 24/7/365, the MTA continues to be a disappointment and an embarrassment.

crooked spin said:
Macy's released a guide for viewing the fireworks this year: https://www.macys.com/social/firewor...5-_-63-_-MP563

Greenpoint is gonna be an absolute shitshow

Yup, that sounds like can of worms about to explode. I pity anyone who decides to make it to East River Park in the night or gets up super early to get a spot and stays the whole day. I don't have anything planned for that day because I usually don't do anything but I can usually see some fireworks from my window.

Fuchsdh

Yeah this sounds like a load bullshit. I sure would love to see it happen in our life time but I doubt it. There's still way too much red tape/bureacracy in the city to do anything in general. They promised not to increase fares but went ahead and did any way because lol budget gap. Despite it running 24/7/365, the MTA continues to be a disappointment and an embarrassment.

Yup, that sounds like can of worms about to explode. I pity anyone who decides to make it to East River Park in the night or gets up super early to get a spot and stays the whole day. I don't have anything planned for that day because I usually don't do anything but I can usually see some fireworks from my window.

I'm just going to go up to my roof. A fifth floor view in Brooklyn lets me see the entire Manhattan skyline. Won't be spectacular, but not being crushed by other people is the tradeoff I'm willing to make.

Jhoan

I'm just going to go up to my roof. A fifth floor view in Brooklyn lets me see the entire Manhattan skyline. Won't be spectacular, but not being crushed by other people is the tradeoff I'm willing to make.
I'm jealous that your building management allows tenants to access the building's rooftop. When I was growing up, we had access to the roof and would go over to one the neighborhood kids' house to hang out because he lived on the fifth floor.

Then about ten years ago or so management locked the door and activated the door's alarm because sketchy people were up there smoking. Only the supers have access to it. The views of the Hudson/Jersey from up there were amazing! At least I still have my fire escape to chill at but it pales in comparison. It's why I get a kick out volunteering at Rooftop Films and being enamored by the views of the skyline.

Fuchsdh

I'm jealous that your building management allows tenants to access the building's rooftop. When I was growing up, we had access to the roof and would go over to one the neighborhood kids' house to hang out because he lived on the fifth floor.

Then about ten years ago or so management locked the door and activated the door's alarm because sketchy people were up there smoking. Only the supers have access to it. The views of the Hudson/Jersey from up there were amazing! At least I still have my fire escape to chill at but it pales in comparison. It's why I get a kick out volunteering at Rooftop Films and being enamored by the views of the skyline.

Yeah... they don't "allow" access per se. But it's not like there's anyone in the building who gives a damn. There's certainly no alarms on it (I'm reasonably sure the cameras in the building don't work either.)

Whassup guys,

I go to NY relatively often for work from the UK, and I'm gonna be landing there on Tuesday at about half 11 in the morning.

YEAH! JULY 4TH!

Anyone got any ideas of what I can do? I'm travelling on my own, and whilst I'm good friends with my colleagues out there, most of them will be seeing family. So I'm alone, I have an expenses account and, being British, I'm very much "the bad guy" on July 4th.

Any suggestions?

Jhoan

Whassup guys,

I go to NY relatively often for work from the UK, and I'm gonna be landing there on Tuesday at about half 11 in the morning.

YEAH! JULY 4TH!

Anyone got any ideas of what I can do? I'm travelling on my own, and whilst I'm good friends with my colleagues out there, most of them will be seeing family. So I'm alone, I have an expenses account and, being British, I'm very much "the bad guy" on July 4th.

Any suggestions?

Do you want to see the fireworks? If yes, be prepared to go the nearest park and stay there for long hours. Anything that's remotely close to water fronts is going to be hell.

If no, go to meetup.com and look for a meet up group that's doing something that later day. For other ideas, TIme Out NY has you covered but some of them sound a bit lavish: https://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/best-4th-of-july-events?package_page=35439

Kisaya

Whassup guys,

YEAH! JULY 4TH!

Any suggestions?

Go to Red Hook and see if there's a roof top bar you can go to. Good view of the fireworks in a low key neighborhood.

In the past my dad would park his car on Hicks Street by Van Voorhees Park and we would all sit on top of it to watch the show. I did the Macy's Fireworks viewing at the Brooklyn Bridge Park a couple of years back and it was a nightmare. Very underwhelming too.

Anyway NYCGAF, I'll be back home this weekend to join the fun :) super excited to celebrate the holiday with my close ones. My friend invited me to this Zombie Crawl afterparty happening in Williamsburg that should be a good excuse to drink at.

GiJoccin

Go to Red Hook and see if there's a roof top bar you can go to. Good view of the fireworks in a low key neighborhood.

In the past my dad would park his car on Hicks Street by Van Voorhees Park and we would all sit on top of it to watch the show. I did the Macy's Fireworks viewing at the Brooklyn Bridge Park a couple of years back and it was a nightmare. Very underwhelming too.

Anyway NYCGAF, I'll be back home this weekend to join the fun :) super excited to celebrate the holiday with my close ones. My friend invited me to this Zombie Crawl afterparty happening in Williamsburg that should be a good excuse to drink at.

they moved the fireworks to more midtown level, not sure if you'll get a good view from red hook

Jhoan

Nice! I miss Lake Michigan a bit. I bet it must be super lively during this time.

The Zombie Crawl sounds pretty damn fun! 10 bucks to get turned into a zombie isn't too bad either. I bet it's a lot more enjoyable than the frat/sorority mess that is Santa Con. Color me interested.

Speaking of Williamsburg, I still have a full Beer Book that I need to use before the end of the year. At some point or another we have to have mini GAF meet up out there during this lovely weather after Penguin returns from vacation.

Kisaya

they moved the fireworks to more midtown level, not sure if you'll get a good view from red hook

Seriously? lmao forget about it then

Nice! I miss Lake Michigan a bit. I bet it must be super lively during this time.

It's okay, they do them over at Navy Pier. I was lucky last year and my friend owned a condo not too far, so we watched it from his building's roof.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Subway turnstile jumpers will no longer face criminal prosecution in the borough of Manhattan starting this fall, under a new initiative from Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance, the DA announced this morning.

Instead of arresting people for turnstile jumping, Vance said his office will work the NYPD and the Mayor's Office of Criminal Justice to institute a system of issuing summonses in lieu of arrests and pre-arraignment diversion for anyone arrested while jumping a turnstile. If arrestees complete the diversion program, Vance said his office will decline to prosecute them in criminal court.

Jhoan

"I don't really blame anyone for not jumping in. I think everyone's got places to go." - some dude who got beat the fuck up on the f train for no reason.
http://gothamist.com/2017/07/04/f_train_attack.php

Also,anyone hanging out around park slope/prospect park? I hear fireworks but can't see em
That's such a shame but the witness dilemma strikes again. My brother and his friend were attacked on the subway over ten years ago by a group of guys when he was in high school. Not a single person stepped in. I don't think the perpetrators were ever caught. If anything, it goes to show to always be vigilant on the subway even when you have earphones on.

Maybe the fireworks from a specific part of the park or Grand Army Plaza.

Fuchsdh

Got a surprisingly good view from my building. Probably the most hilarious thing is that with everyone shooting fireworks off it's quieter than when people throw parties around here.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's only $20 so I might go, but it doesn't look like it's going to be super interesting. Probably going to just be a local indie dev thing.

Top Bottom