• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC Police steals $1000 from a guy and pepper sprays him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classic NYPD, am I right?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/09/nyregion/man-accuses-officer-of-taking-more-than-1000-video-prompts-investigation.html?_r=1

It even has a nice video to go along with it.

Lamard Joye was celebrating his 35th birthday with friends last month near a basketball court in Coney Island, Brooklyn. At some point, the police arrived and stopped a friend of his.

From several feet away, Mr. Joye objected. What happened next is now under investigation by the Brooklyn district attorney’s office, which is in possession of a cellphone video of the ensuing confrontation.

The video of the encounter, on Sept. 16 at around 12:20 a.m., shows a police officer steering Mr. Joye against a chain-link fence to pat him down. “Look,” Mr. Joye says. “Look, you see this? Look.” The police officer reaches into Mr. Joye’s pocket, removes what appears to be a folded stack of bills and steps back.

“Give me my money,” Mr. Joye says in the video. The police officer then sprays something at him.

Mr. Joye said the officer took more than $1,000 in cash and deployed pepper spray.

Oh, and there's this gem, which always seems to find it's way into these stories

“The incident was precipitated by a call of a man with a gun. When officers arrived at the scene, they encountered numerous people at the location.

A group of black people? Surely one of them is the suspect. But it gets better

Mr. Joye, who was not arrested that night, said he has not gotten his money back; his lawyer, Robert Marinelli, said he has received no explanation of where that money was.

Turns out no one had a gun. An honest mistake on the cop's part

What is going on with the Police force (in america?) ? I swear over the past few days I've seen 5-6 separate stories involving Police brutality of escalating severity. Help me understand it, GAF.

JNA

Banned
I'm sure a lot of people on here saw this since it was on the first page for awhile, but I'll repost it anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

These kind of shakedowns happen a lot. "Pennies from heaven" as one police chief in the video puts it.

I just saw that video a few days ago. Amazing as usual and sad as usual. :(

I am really strongly considering moving to Canada. Day to day, month to month, year after year, I get more and more sick of US's bullshit. -_-

Most kids I know who want to be police are ratchet hoodlums.

That's also sad to hear.

I actually want to be police myself but for the reasons that seem to be forgotten for a long time now by many: protect and serve the common people.

ezrarh

What is going on with the Police force (in america?) ? I swear over the past few days I've seen 5-6 separate stories involving Police brutality of escalating severity. Help me understand it, GAF.

It's always been like this or worse. There are just more ways to get these things on video now.

It's not new.

What's new is people having smartphones to record it.

When you really dive into the subject, it's pretty terrifying to learn about how systemically corrupt, unjust, and unfair our entire justice system is to the poor and minorities on every level and that it's pretty much always been that way, they just never had any media presence or outlet to expose it. The image we like to pretend of our justice system being fair and proportionate is completely and utterly fallacious.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's always been like this or worse. There are just more ways to get these things on video now.

Pretty much. Welcome to the last 100 years probably, yet people are still in shock and awe over this sort of stuff.

It's not new.

What's new is people having smartphones to record it.

This. No one believed people in the inner-cities for decades saying cops is doing dirt and fucking people up.

But now proof is there and people acting shocked. This been going on for centuries.

Pretty much. Welcome to the last 100 years probably, yet people are still in shock and awe over this sort of stuff.

Good. The more bubbles get popped, the better...

Ploid 3.0

Dang, so Police are openly mugging people now, well now that phone cameras are around to prove it. Such thugs.

Holy shit.

How big of a deal is this over there? A cop just straight up robbed an innocent bystander and then assaulted him for good measure.

Can't imagine the media and politician outrage if this were to happen here.

Man, I'm having trouble believing I just watched a cop straight up rob a guy. Fuck.

From several feet away, Mr. Joye objected. What happened next is now under investigation by the Brooklyn district attorney’s office, which is in possession of a cellphone video of the ensuing confrontation.

Who the fuck gave the cops cellphone video?

You could sell that to the news corps or viral it and justice will be swifter. Dumbasses.

That did not look like simply "civil forfeiture"

That cop literally stole the money from him like it was nothing, and then pepper sprayed him............Ugh! I can't even...

Please tell me he's getting his money back soon, and that cop will be fired

If we can get through the whole 1st page without a (serious) "he shouldn't have had so much money on him" comment, then maybe we're making progress.

Leynos

Holy shit.

How big of a deal is this over there? A cop just straight up robbed an innocent bystander and then assaulted him for good measure.

Man, I'm having trouble believing I just watched a cop straight up rob a guy. Fuck.

Outrage? That's a laugh; the media won't even pick up the story. A black kid with $1000 in his pocket? At a basketball court at 1 AM in the morning in the 'hood? Too many people will just think that he had it coming, and that the money was probably gotten through illicit means, so he deserved to have it confiscated. To protect the public. I mean, he was probably going to buy guns, or drugs with it.

Holy shit.

What I can't believe is that he does it in front of several witnesses. He clearly doesn't give a fuck, it's incredible.

TxdoHawk

Shit like this and all the civil forfeiture horror stories are why I don't carry more than $40 in cash at any given time. If it wasn't caught on camera, that $1000 would be as good as gone.

Edit: re: the above, I'm not going to make a judgment, for all I know this dude was about to head out and spend it or something, but that's my personal policy.

hwalker84

What I can't believe is that he does it in front of several witnesses. He clearly doesn't give a fuck, it's incredible.

Because its done to an African American. He knows he's in the clear. If the guy got aggressive he would've been able to shoot him and get away with it. Anything else and it's Civil Forfeiture.

If we can get through the whole 1st page without a (serious) "he shouldn't have had so much money on him" comment, then maybe we're making progress.

I'm literally carrying $400 in cash for my sister since she does not have a checking account.

A law official is on video stealing money from someone then pepper spraying them when they ask for it back. I don't see how anyone can try to turn this around on the victim.

hwalker84

I'm literally carrying $400 in cash for my sister since she does not have a checking account.

A law official is on video stealing money from someone then pepper spraying them when they ask for it back. I don't see how anyone can try to turn this around on the victim.

They'll do the normal character assassination that they do for all minorities and the officer at most will get paid leave.

Wait, how are these pennies from "heaven?" These guys are no angels.

13852008801232369174.GIF

The racism that keeps on giving!
I understood that reference

Shit like this and all the civil forfeiture horror stories are why I don't carry more than $40 in cash at any given time. If it wasn't caught on camera, that $1000 would be as good as gone.

Edit: re: the above, I'm not going to make a judgment, for all I know this dude was about to head out and spend it or something, but that's my personal policy.

After reading the story I feel the same way. It doesn't matter how much money one has on them or were they live or what time is it, cops can't just take money like that willy nilly.

I've hung out longer than 1 AM often and didn't have cops harassing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom