• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC Police steals $1000 from a guy and pepper sprays him

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at the point now where I feel like I need to do something about this and be vocal about it. Are there any groups or organizations out there standing up to this?

Dude stunned me into silence when he literally said 'toys' and 'nice things'. Even he knew it was fucked up.

The worst was "There's some limitations on it...well actually there's not really on the forfeiture stuff."

Here's the type of "toys" the Columbia Police Department purchases: http://www.columbiatribune.com/news...cle_37b3bcc2-3da0-11e3-a93f-10604b9f6eda.html

The purchase of the $227,587 vehicle was approved in April — all but $36,505 of its costs paid for with city funds. Forfeiture funds account for the remaining amount.

I'm hoping the ridiculous amount of coverage that the corrupt nature of many of these cops will help mold some changes into how we run our law enforcement. Cops currently do have a pretty bad name, and I'm sure most cops don't use these horrible tactics to get what they want, but they are out there and it's known enough to where I think it would be appropriate to start thinking about how we can change situations like this.

Cops do get away with a LOT though, even if not deliberate. My cousin got in a car accident with a cop, ultimately breaking her legs, her bones protruding out of them. He faced zero legal charges, as far as I know. Ridiculous.

No worries guys. Like the mass shootings, soon there will be enough of these news stories that the public becomes desensitized to them and everybody stops caring.

If we can get through the whole 1st page without a (serious) "he shouldn't have had so much money on him" comment, then maybe we're making progress.

Well there's always a defense. Sometimes those people choose to stay quiet. Sometimes they're just trying to find the right angle ...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Who the fuck gave the cops cellphone video?

You could sell that to the news corps or viral it and justice will be swifter. Dumbasses.
Because videos can't be copied? It is on the news sites.

Apparently its $1,300 now. Sickening...he was using that money to go out with his wife.
Nonono, he's black, so obviously if he's carrying that much cash it's drugs. Duh. But even though it's clearly drugs, he wasn't even arrested because, REASONS
*facepalm*

http://www.examiner.com/article/nypd...pray-pilfering

While the NYPD has not responded, the Police Benevolent Association said in a statement: “A 35-second long video does not provide enough information about a police encounter to come to any conclusion,” adding that it’s “time to stop the amateur video activists who interfere with police operations

Ugh....they make me sick

Translation: "Fuck, those mobile phones are blatantly exposing our corruption, that's gotta stop!"

Besides, 35 seconds is more than enough to see the full context here. You clearly see a cop grab the cash, pocket it, and spray people. Who were not arrested. Yeah, fuck off, PBA, I don't think any context is missing here.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
According to ABC News, this latest incident isn't civil forfeiture.

The officer reportedly never turned in the cash as evidence or otherwise accounted for it.

My brother was caught with less than an ounce of weed in his car and had his paycheck ($800 - he gets paid in cash) confiscated. they never charged him with intent to distribute, only simple possession. However, his lawyer, a good friend of our family, advised him not to try to get the money back - If he did, the state would likely respond by charging him with intent to distribute, making it evidence, and making his request to have it returned pointless.

In other words - The state confiscated $800 from my brother despite it not being associated with any charges brought against him. They then use the threat of charges as blackmail/extortion to dissuade him from attempting to have his money returned. The state now has $800 from my brother for no apparent reason.

Isn't America awesome? :)

Abuse of power + civil forfeiture + killing unarmed civilians. I'm getting sick of these sketchy as hell cops. We need a police force for the police.

Abuse of power + civil forfeiture + killing unarmed civilians. I'm getting sick of these sketchy as hell cops. We need a police force for the police.

Or we could do something that takes away power from the overwhemlingly corrupt police union and hire a better class of police officer, retrain the ones we can't fire, teach conflict resoution and de-esclation techniques, and end racial profiling.

While we're waiting for any of those things to happen, I'll be over there building my homemade rocket ship so I can find the uncharted planet of hot blue/green/red humanoids.

He never turned the money in because he never planned to. He straight up robbed that guy and is probably going to get away with it.

andthebeatgoeson

What is going on with the Police force (in america?) ? I swear over the past few days I've seen 5-6 separate stories involving Police brutality of escalating severity. Help me understand it, GAF.
The police used to be active in the kkk and lynchings. By that standard, these guys are... Still assholes.

My brother was caught with less than an ounce of weed in his car and had his paycheck ($800 - he gets paid in cash) confiscated. they never charged him with intent to distribute, only simple possession. However, his lawyer, a good friend of our family, advised him not to try to get the money back - If he did, the state would likely respond by charging him with intent to distribute, making it evidence, and making his request to have it returned pointless.

In other words - The state confiscated $800 from my brother despite it not being associated with any charges brought against him. They then use the threat of charges as blackmail/extortion to dissuade him from attempting to have his money returned. The state now has $800 from my brother for no apparent reason.

Isn't America awesome? :)

He never turned the money in because he never planned to. He straight up robbed that guy and is probably going to get away with it.

I think this is what most likely happened.

Derwind

My fucking lord, if any human being did this to me, I'd br out for blood. Hiding behind his badge, that fucking coward.

I'm so glad I live in a country where I'm not in constant fear of the police.

This makes my blood boil.

Dead Man

My fucking lord, if any human being did this to me, I'd br out for blood. Hiding behind his badge, that fucking coward.

I'm so glad I live in a country where I'm not in constant fear of the police.

This makes my blood boil.

Yep. Shit is fucking insane.

Who

Banned
Is there any hope of anything being done? I... Feel like this is just the beginning of the end for us.

Syriel

Now the NYPD is claiming that the officer turned in the money, but there was only $62.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/10/cops-cash-seizure-was-handled-properly-nypd/

The construction worker who accused a Brooklyn cop of stealing $1,300 from his pocket during a search was actually carrying just $62 — and it was all properly vouchered, the NYPD said Thursday.

Officer William Montemarino, a 22-year veteran, was cleared of any wrongdoing by Internal Affairs after the Sept. 22 incident outside the Surfside Gardens housing project, sources told The Post.

Amazing how it was suddenly checked into evidence, when there was nothing prior.

On Thursday, Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association President Pat Lynch defended the officer, saying: “It is time for people to start giving the cops the benefit of the doubt.

“In reality this was someone who fit the description of a man with a gun and all his property including money and cellphone were vouchered,” Lynch said.

Yup, they went there.

He "fit the description."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom