• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYCC 2017 |OT| Now with more MSG

Messi

Pretty much but a competitor of Funko Pop. It blew my mind when I saw it in a toy store window 2 weeks ago. I wonder if it's going to catch on as Funko Pops have.

My suggestion would be to tweet at NYCC or ask them on Facebook. Otherwise, ask a Staff member on site when you go pick up your badge. If his name isn't on the app then that's because it hasn't been updated, could be on the show floor, or maybe canned his appearance/super last minute addition.

My pleasure! :)

Thanks very much

DaveH

1. Are there still pro perks? I recall the River Pavillion being pro / press / etc. only one year.
  2. I notice the map says, "All Gender Bathrooms" does that mean anyone can use any bathroom?
  3. I received activation confirmation on my badge can change the badge details... but I never received a password for "My Show" and "Forgotten Password" doesn't send anything to my email... will this be a problem day of?
Thanks!

Jhoan

1. Are there still pro perks? I recall the River Pavillion being pro / press / etc. only one year.
  2. I notice the map says, "All Gender Bathrooms" does that mean anyone can use any bathroom?
  3. I received activation confirmation on my badge can change the badge details... but I never received a password for "My Show" and "Forgotten Password" doesn't send anything to my email... will this be a problem day of?
Thanks!
1. Not sure what all the pro perks are but I do know that the panels at the Schwartzman NY Public Library building on Thursday are only for pros. I think there are other panels too that are for pros only at the Javits Center but don't quote me on it.
2. Yes, as far as I know they are gender neutral bathrooms meaning that both genders can and will use them. If you don't feel comfortable using the same rest room with women, there are other options available of course.
3. I don't think so personally. As long as you activated the badge, you should be good to go. I think the My Show thing is tied to the app.

DaveH

2. Yes, as far as I know they are gender neutral bathrooms meaning that both genders can and will use them. If you don't feel comfortable using the same rest room with women, there are other options available of course.

Not so much a comfort issue as, "I guess there will be even lines to the bathrooms now" and "I don't want to get in trouble assuming all the bathrooms are gender neutral."

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
A few months ago Bookcon taught me the valuable life lesson that I can’t use a urinal comfortably when there’s a line of women, all with their phones out, two feet behind me.

Jhoan

Not so much a comfort issue as, "I guess there will be even lines to the bathrooms now" and "I don't want to get in trouble assuming all the bathrooms are gender neutral."

LMAO! I hear you on that.It'll be like going to a bathroom at a fast food place where there's one bathroom e.g. Starbucks.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A few months ago Bookcon taught me the valuable life lesson that I can’t use a urinal comfortably when there’s a line of women, all with their phones out, two feet behind me.

Wuss.

How was Book-con this year? I went a few years back and it wasn't that great.

Shanlei91

Wuss.

How was Book-con this year? I went a few years back and it wasn't that great.

It was my first time going so I don't have a good point of reference but I thought it was good. Like diet comic con. I enjoyed it more than the smaller cons I went to during the summer. Ate cake with RL Stein and had a convo with Mr Feeny's wife about their sex life, for having to wait on a line the fraction of the time it would take to see them if it were NYCC. Kevin Hart's panel was basically a comedy show.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Here's the rest of Grey Matter's stuff for NYCC:

5a36K7n.jpg

Shanlei91

If you're feeling fancy french:

Who wants to party at the French Embassy!! (I'm totally serious) The French Comics Association is hosting their annual festival and the kick off party is free and open to the public. They will have wine (of course, zis is French), sketch night with models in costumes and a signing with Valerie Vernay, Patricia Lyfoung, Fabien Nury, Alexis Sentenac, Mahtieu Lauffray and Bruno. (Albertine Bookshop – 972 5th Ave on Thursday at 7 pm)

Hoboken?? That's really weird.

And looks like that party is rsvp'd out.

1) I don't think you can activate your passes through the app. Here's the link through the site: http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en/Tickets/Badge-Activation/

2) That's pretty subjective. It depends on what's the first thing you're trying to do. If you just want to get on the floor early... you'll need to get up pretty damn early. (I'm actually the worst person to ask since I haven't used the general entrance in years.)

3) This just feels like your asking for stalking advice.
If you want to go to their panels, I'd say line up an hour-ish in advance. If you're talking about Autograph stuff, Jhoan can fill you in on that. He's manager this year, you guys!

Edit: Just saw this. Brooklyn Brewery Defender pub crawl: http://brooklynbrewery.com/events/2017/10/6/defender-takes-midtown-a-hero-s-pub-crawl-nyc

Thanks for the response, and haha,no. I'm not trying to stalk them. I want to get their autographs. And I actually want to go straight there when I get there Saturday morning. Hence the timing question.

Got my badges activated, thanks

Edit: another question. Is there items prese t at the signings that I can have autographed? Or should I bring something. I don't really want to have my old copy of the last if us autographed so it'd be nice if they have something there

Thanks again in advance for any help/responses

Tom_Cody

Can someone explain to me how the "shared" Funko exclusives work?

Does this mean they are in different booths scattered around the show? Or does this mean those retailers will be selling them apart from the convention itself?

Jhoan

It's almost 2AM and I've been going nuts packing up stuff to take with me to the Javits Center to get rid of. I'm supposed to be up by 5:30am and I haven't showered yet. I'm excited as sin! However, since I love this show so much, need to answer some q's:

Thanks!
Update on these questions:
1) I can confirm that there is a Pro lounge. This year's Pro room is going to be in 1-E behind where the Artist Alley area is. This means that it will be shared with artists tabling at AA this year.
2)the All Gender restrooms are confirmed to be in 1-D by the Main Stage area.

Thanks for the response, and haha,no. I'm not trying to stalk them. I want to get their autographs. And I actually want to go straight there when I get there Saturday morning. Hence the timing question.

Got my badges activated, thanks

Edit: another question. Is there items prese t at the signings that I can have autographed? Or should I bring something. I don't really want to have my old copy of the last if us autographed so it'd be nice if they have something there

Thanks again in advance for any help/responses
This is a frequently asked questions in the Autographing virtually every 5-10 minutes lol. The answer is always yes, they do have prints available for purchase up front that you can buy to get signed. You can also bring your own personal items to sign and Crew will walk down the lines with post it notes and Sharpies if you want it personalized. That being said, generally it's one item per autograph i.e. if you want to get two things signed by Hamill, be prepared to shell out $600. It's cash only; ATM's are by the entrance of the 1-B area and there's Chase ATM's on 1-D and by the Crystal Palace entrance if that's your bank.
Can someone explain to me how the "shared" Funko exclusives work?

Does this mean they are in different booths scattered around the show? Or does this mean those retailers will be selling them apart from the convention itself?
Shared exclusives means that retailers will be selling them as well. Here's a link with a full list: https://funko.com/blogs/news/2017-nycc-shared-exclusives

I'm going to be a wreck in the morning. I actually cut off my hair last night and will be wearing a wig to troll my friends for a bit. Easiest way to recognize me: I wear black framed glasses, will be wearing a blue lanyard full of pins including an Uncle Death pin from Let It Die and a CIA pin, red long sleeve shirt, black Clark sneakers all weekend long. Call out Jipan, my old GAF name if anything. I'll see anyone who's going to be at the show today. Good luck and have fun!

This is a frequently asked questions in the Autographing virtually every 5-10 minutes lol. The answer is always yes, they do have prints available for purchase up front that you can buy to get signed. You can also bring your own personal items to sign and Crew will walk down the lines with post it notes and Sharpies if you want it personalized. That being said, generally it's one item per autograph i.e. if you want to get two things signed by Hamill, be prepared to shell out $600. It's cash only; ATM's are by the entrance of the 1-B area and there's Chase ATM's on 1-D and by the Crystal Palace entrance if that's your bank.

Much appreciated, I hope you get more sleep over the weekend

Renkax

Excited to be there tomorrow for my 3rd year in a row . Hopefully the Rickmobile still has items for me to purchase tomorrow lol

Tom_Cody

I just sat down in Hammerstein ballroom and there are tons of seats. I totally overestimated how hard it would be to get into stuff today.

Note to everyone for the future: Thursday is great if you can get the day off.

Something I've been unable to get any clear information on is the Anime Festival part of NYCC. Do you need to buy a NYCC pass to get in to those events like book-signings?

With all of the crowds for the American comic guests, I pass on the con every year due to logistics and the fact that I'm a regular at Awesome Con now

Thursday again stays winning as the best day. Got in there a little after 10 and got all my purchases done within an hour. Artists alley is by far becoming the only thing that really warrants going every year. The show floor vendors all pretty much have the same stuff year over year and the exclusive stuff sells out fast or has insane lines wasting your day. Panels are also a great thing to do but Thursday doesn't really have much going on.

Tomorrow should be fun. Brother is gonna get in costume and we're going with a few of his friends. Glad I didn't pick up Saturday tickets, place is gonna be an absolute madhouse.

Penguin

I just sat down in Hammerstein ballroom and there are tons of seats. I totally overestimated how hard it would be to get into stuff today.

That's why Thurs is the best

I prefer going Thurs-Sat over Fri-Sun

It's less crowded on the showfloor

Can actually walk around and check out booths

Waiting until 3:30 pm to see luke the god

Played dragon ball z earlier today, shit is insane D:

5 pm will be first come first serve for funko
Prepare for fights lol

Shadow780

How early should I line up for Pacific Rim Uprising tomorrow? Understand there's a panel before that should I just sit through panel?

How early should I line up for Pacific Rim Uprising tomorrow? Understand there's a panel before that should I just sit through panel?

Yea, getting there a panel or two ahead is the best strategy to guarantee not getting locked out. Got into a few popular panels last year doing the same thing.

Jhoan

Waiting to get into the Kotaku/Io9 party. My body is tired but my mind wants to drink. Drinks at the Mr. Robot event were watered down. It seems like I need to watch it one of these days.

Busiest things in the Autographing area were Hamill, Conroy, Tara Strong, and the free signings. Curse of Chucky was hard capped after an hour or so. Chris Sabat had a long line. Vic Mignona looks like a model out of a hair product commercial; Hamill has aged well.

Coworkers had funny stories at their areas. One lady suffered a heat exhaustion on Hamill's line and had to get her item signed for while she recovered; an female attendee had Hamill sign a pair of panties. Good luck to anyone dealing with Hamill tomorrow. Will be in again in the AM.

MG310

Curse of Chucky was hard capped after an hour or so.

Wonder if anyone else even got in for the Keanu Reeves panel or everyone just stayed after the Chucky one. On the app it showed 3000 people had Keanu on their schedule.

Tapped in for the StarTalk panel in the morning then went over to Artist Alley and signed up for a few commissions. That room is going to be suffocating on Friday/Saturday if today was any indication.

Walked up to Hammerstein Ballroom which was probably about 30% full for the Robert Kirkman panel and then a good portion of the floor filled up for Kevin Smith/Comic Book Men.

Ended up going to the "I Know That Voice: The Series" panel with John DiMaggio,Nolan North, Rob Paulsen, and Jess Harnell which was hilarious

StarTalk with Adam Savage joining Dr. Tyson was great too.

Going to try for that Runaways panel tomorrow.

Seigyoku

For shopping yeah in theory I should have gone today but my key panel of I AM GOING TO HAVE AN EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWN IF I DO NOT GET IN is Friday so...

So yeah I'm going (for some reason) despite being burned HARD by ReedPop with Celebration this year. (BF has sworn off conventions for another 15 years). Fri-Sun. Didn't win any of my lotteries (of course) and had already decided that if I didn't get in the main stage that way, like HELL was I going through a morning queue ReedPop. I'm not playing that game again.

So tomorrow will be me running from SW lit event to another despite them being all too close together and hoping for the best. Dropped everything else from my schedule lol. And Saturday my big thing is the Star Wars hard ticket panel (which I have my ticket), and Sunday I was like MEEEH, so it's gonna be me in the exhibition hall most of the day hoping the folks I know at some booths don't get sick of me (while avoiding a list of people I never want to deal with again. One of which has already been mentioned in this thread.)

I'll be the chick with a turtle cosplaying as Star Wars characters. The turtle. Not me. He's the cute one. Feel free to say hi!

Tom_Cody

Yesterday I stumbled upon the Star Wars prop booth but the line was prohibitively long, so I decided to make it my first target this morning.

Flashforward to today and I got in line pretty early. The plot thickened when we realized that they were making everyone fill out long legal release forms and taking everyone’s photograph. They then scanned my badge and sent me on my way. Apparently they are doing some type of secret “The Last Jedi Virtual Experience” today only. They are going to text me later today when I’m supposed to come back. So far I haven’t been able to find a single thing about this on the internet.

Edit: It ended up being really corny, lol.

DerekNYC

Yesterday I stumbled upon the Star Wars prop booth but the line was prohibitively long, so I decided to make it my first target this morning.

Flashforward to today and I got in line pretty early. The plot thickened when we realized that they were making everyone fill out long legal release forms and taking everyone’s photograph. They then scanned my badge and sent me on my way. Apparently they are doing some type of secret “The Last Jedi Virtual Experience” today only. They are going to text me later today when I’m supposed to come back. So far I haven’t been able to find a single thing about this on the internet.

Edit: It ended up being really corny, lol.

Where is that booth? Was looking for it today and couldn’t find it.

Tom_Cody

I need some details on the how cheesy this was.
We were let into the room with the costumes/props, but after a minute or two a wanted poster popped up on screens around the room featuring the face of one of the attendees in the room with us (remember, they took everyone's photo). Soon after Stormtroopers rushed in followed by Kylo Ren and they started asking about the girl in the wanted picture. Then resistance soldiers appeared and Kylo Ren force pushed one of them against a wall (
watch
). At some point during this a life sized BB-8 rolled in and other resistance soldiers ushered the girl out of a hidden panel.

Eh, maybe I went too far by calling it corny. It was fun. The main thing that dragged it down was that everyone had their phones out to take pictures of the props, so they just kept them out when the actors came in and barely even reacted to what was going on. The life sized BB-8 was definitely the highlight.

Here's a picture I took during the action:

34FYKBw.jpg

Jhoan

I'm in the charity auction watching 5he action. I stepped out momentarily to take a walk. I was getting bored. Coming back now.

The interview they had for Stan Lee in place of the Punisher panel was great.
The quote they had at the end was amazing from 1971.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Day 2 photos: https://www.flickr.com/gp/gluetree/18jP2J

And photos I took from the Westworld experience: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6wREyu

I can't believe I forgot about the auction... again. Not hurting on art though, I had a ton of precommissions. I just wished some of them could've been finished at the con.

We were let into the room with the costumes/props, but after a minute or two a wanted poster popped up on screens around the room featuring the face of one of the attendees in the room with us (remember, they took everyone's photo). Soon after Stormtroopers rushed in followed by Kylo Ren and they started asking about the girl in the wanted picture. Then resistance soldiers appeared and Kylo Ren force pushed one of them against a wall (
watch
). At some point during this a life sized BB-8 rolled in and other resistance soldiers ushered the girl out of a hidden panel.

Eh, maybe I went too far by calling it corny. It was fun. The main thing that dragged it down was that everyone had their phones out to take pictures of the props, so they just kept them out when the actors came in and barely even reacted to what was going on. The life sized BB-8 was definitely the highlight.

That sounds like a little neat experience to have. It's like some line-waiting entertainment at a Disney park.

Top Bottom