• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYP Rumor: EA officially up for sale, KKR and Providence interested

Busty

Banned
I wouldn't be too surprised if you saw a media heavyweight like News Corp or Time Warner dip their toe in the water at some point.

IIRC Time Warner's Jeff Bewkes gave some thought to buying EA a couple of years ago. And while things have moved on since then (namely WB Games) it might still be an option.

But at the end of the day the likes of Time Warner don't pay 'full price' for anything they buy so maybe it might take someone with a deeper pocket to get this done.

By my calculations, if every GAF member pitched in $52,261.53 we could buy it.

Scullibundo will cover my buy in.

Busty

Banned
Take Two fell a 39% in the last 6 months. The Games industry is in a transition at the moment.

Fixed.

.., I hope.

Disney should buy it just for the large amount of IP that EA has in its library.

Doubt it. Some are still bitching about how much they paid for Marvel. And the likes of Battlefield and MOH don't exactly vibe with the Disney brand.

If I pre-order this company what do I get?

THQ and a Gizmondo.

Sony afaik has about $8-9 billion cash on hand

Isn't a lot of that assets tied to their banking division?

Busty

Banned
Im not a 'business guy' so to be honest I'm not sure what the difference is between EA being private and being public.

While they wouldn't need to have shareholders and 'display' a stock price how does this benefit a company like EA?

sflufan

Banned
Im not a 'business guy' so to be honest I'm not sure what the difference is between EA being private and being public.

While they wouldn't need to have shareholders and 'display' a stock price how does this benefit a company like EA?

By being private, the new private equity owners can start "trimming the fat" from the company far easier than if they were a public company. The PE owners can then put a leaner, meaner EA back on the market.

hooligan

Activision and now EA shopping themselves around for potential suitors.

If you can't see something wrong when two industry titans are both looking to exit an industry then you really need to take off those rose tinted glasses.

I always thought it would be the consumer bailing out that would start the next videogames crash after a constant diet of me too low risk look a like titles.

However, it seems that the AAA publishers have decided to "cry uncle" first and don't even want to expose themselves to the obvious financial risks of an even more costly next generation.

Now it starts to get really interesting...

Consumers, publishers, next to fall should be a platform holder.

Nintendo? Micosoft? Sony? Roll up! Roll up! Place your bets!

You make so much sense it's depressing...how long did the last crash last? Are you talking about the Atari crash?

bro1

Banned
There is not going to be a crash, just a consolidation. It happened in Hollywood and it happened in television. Look at what happened in the TV manufactures market as they are all consolidating too. Less risk this way.

Busty

Banned
By being private, the new private equity owners can start "trimming the fat" from the company far easier than if they were a public company. The PE owners can then put a leaner, meaner EA back on the market.

Ahhh I see. So the ultimate object of taking it private is to make it a more appealing venture for investors and an eventual IPO.

Thanks for explaining that.

Complete rumor and speculation and absolutely no shred of truth to this at all.

True but to be fair the thread title does have the word rumour featured pretty prominently in it.

There is not going to be a crash, just a consolidation. It happened in Hollywood and it happened in television. Look at what happened in the TV manufactures market as they are all consolidating too. Less risk this way.

Yup. And expect there to be another round of mergers and consolidation within Hollywood within the next 3-5 years.

I fully expect the some of the 'big 6' studios to become folded into one another in some fashion leaving 4 or 5 big studios when everything is said and done.

Saty

NASDAQ listing price up over $14 after New York Post story

A story flouting a rumour that Electronic Arts might be the target of an acquisition has seen the company's share price rise by over a dollar in pre-market trading on the NASDAQ.

Closing last night at $13.09, prices opened today at $14.38 - still well below the $25.20 they were trading at nine months ago and the company's high-water mark of $68.20 on 4 February, 2005
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-08-16-ea-buyout-rumours-power-share-price-hike

Private companies are privately held without the ability for the public to buy stock. Any company that has shares traded on an open market like the New York Stock Exchange is considered a public company.

For EA to go private, a single individual, private company, or a private equity firm would have to buy out all of the available publicly traded stock, and then buy any of the private assets or holdings of the company too. It would be an enormous amount for a company like EA.

Going public has real benefits, and going private does as well. So going public usually means the company is getting a huge amount of cash to invest, it's an enormous fleecing of money that allows them to expand and grow, or, in many cases, pay off initial debts caused by early growth. The drawback to this is that the entire company is beholden to stock holders and investors, so if you or me buy $100 of EA stock, we have a say in the company and they have to report back to us ($100 is very little, we would have effectively no say, but let's say that you and I owned an investment firm and had $2m in EA Stock... we would have a big say in the future of the company). Legally, companies are beholden to their stock holders. It's the law, it's stock holder protection. If you invest in a company that is publicly traded, they are legally beholden to you, and it is illegal for them to do something to intentionally rip you off. That doesn't mean they can't fail or make bad products or go bankrupt, but it does mean that the CEO of the company couldn't, for instance, lie to you to get you to sell what you own only to turn around and do something that would make your just-sold stock increase. The benefit of being public is an enormous amount of cash: think of it like a Kickstarter in the millions.

The benefit to going private is that you are no longer beholden to investors. If you or I have a lot of say in EA, we might want them to make safe bets... Don't spend a lot of money developing new IPs because new IPs fail in sales 9/10 times; Don't spend a lot of time advertising for a game like Mirrors Edge because, c'mon, who's really going to buy Mirrors Edge after seeing a stupid commercial. Instead, we tell them, release Madden rehashes every year, copy CoD4 and release it as Battlefield 3... Make safe bets and get us good return on our investment. You and I are still good guys, we've bought a lot of stock, we're investing in videogames, but we also want a return on our enormous investment in the company, and we don't want them to do anything stupid like making overly aggressive games (think 38 Studios and their MMO project that helped sink them) and having us potentially lose our entire investment.

So, when the company is truly private, there are no outside investors, no share holders (you and me) that really don't know anything but want to make decisions, that control choices. Further, far less government regulation controlling who we can hire, how we can hire, where we can sell, how many taxes we have to pay, how we report our income, and so on. The company can do what they want and run the company how they want (generally). Finally, and most important, the company can store cash without reprisal. Apple is renowned for having a lot of cash, but they came under a lot of pressure by the SEC -- the body that oversees public companies and financial dealings -- for not sharing their cash holdings with their investors. This was a problem with apple for about 10 years. So finally, Apple started paying a dividend on their stock, basically, sharing a small percentage of their cash holdings with everybody who owns shares of the company. If you had apple shares, you'd get a deposit into your bank account simply for having the shares, without needing to sell your shares. The drawback to sharing a dividend, of course, is that maybe Apple was planning to use that cash to make the next iPad, and now they have less leverage to do so. As a publicly traded company, they've given up their right to manage their money truly how they want to, and both investors and federal regulators can tell them that they have to do something with it (in many cases, there are strong financial benefits to paying a dividend as well for the company... it has a residual benefit of increasing the value of a stock because people are more likely to hold onto their shares if they are getting a dividend, making the shares more valuable).

There are plusses and minuses to both. I work for a software company that has enormous sales, is very successful, and makes very popular products, but we're completely privately owned... not even owned by a private equity company or any initial investors. We're completely owned by ourselves. The company has never taken out a loan. It gives us remarkable leverage over our company and our choices and helps build on our success. At the same time, if we were to go public, it would make all of our employees rich immediately.

True but to be fair the thread title does have the word rumour featured pretty prominently in it.

yeah and nobody treats it like a rumor. "RUMOR EA TO BE BOUGHT BY JOSEPH KONY." "OMMMMGGG MAKES SENSE THE MOST EVIL MAN IN THE WORLD WANTS TO BUY THE MOST EVIL CORPORATION"

EA, always following Activisions lead.

If two of the largest companies are truly exploring ways to be sold, that tells me that they believe their current business model is/has peaked and there is very little if no more growth to be gained. The end of the large gaming company business cycle is another way to put this.

Busty

Banned
Private companies are privately held without the ability for the public to buy stock. Any company that has shares traded on an open market like the New York Stock Exchange is considered a public company.

For EA to go private, a single individual, private company, or a private equity firm would have to buy out all of the available publicly traded stock, and then buy any of the private assets or holdings of the company too. It would be an enormous amount for a company like EA.

Going public has real benefits, and going private does as well. So going public usually means the company is getting a huge amount of cash to invest, it's an enormous fleecing of money that allows them to expand and grow, or, in many cases, pay off initial debts caused by early growth. The drawback to this is that the entire company is beholden to stock holders and investors, so if you or me buy $100 of EA stock, we have a say in the company and they have to report back to us ($100 is very little, we would have effectively no say, but let's say that you and I owned an investment firm and had $2m in EA Stock... we would have a big say in the future of the company). Legally, companies are beholden to their stock holders. It's the law, it's stock holder protection. If you invest in a company that is publicly traded, they are legally beholden to you, and it is illegal for them to do something to intentionally rip you off. That doesn't mean they can't fail or make bad products or go bankrupt, but it does mean that the CEO of the company couldn't, for instance, lie to you to get you to sell what you own only to turn around and do something that would make your just-sold stock increase. The benefit of being public is an enormous amount of cash: think of it like a Kickstarter in the millions.

The benefit to going private is that you are no longer beholden to investors. If you or I have a lot of say in EA, we might want them to make safe bets... Don't spend a lot of money developing new IPs because new IPs fail in sales 9/10 times; Don't spend a lot of time advertising for a game like Mirrors Edge because, c'mon, who's really going to buy Mirrors Edge after seeing a stupid commercial. Instead, we tell them, release Madden rehashes every year, copy CoD4 and release it as Battlefield 3... Make safe bets and get us good return on our investment. You and I are still good guys, we've bought a lot of stock, we're investing in videogames, but we also want a return on our enormous investment in the company, and we don't want them to do anything stupid like making overly aggressive games (think 38 Studios and their MMO project that helped sink them) and having us potentially lose our entire investment.

So, when the company is truly private, there are no outside investors, no share holders (you and me) that really don't know anything but want to make decisions, that control choices. Further, far less government regulation controlling who we can hire, how we can hire, where we can sell, how many taxes we have to pay, how we report our income, and so on. The company can do what they want and run the company how they want (generally). Finally, and most important, the company can store cash without reprisal. Apple is renowned for having a lot of cash, but they came under a lot of pressure by the SEC -- the body that oversees public companies and financial dealings -- for not sharing their cash holdings with their investors. This was a problem with apple for about 10 years. So finally, Apple started paying a dividend on their stock, basically, sharing a small percentage of their cash holdings with everybody who owns shares of the company. If you had apple shares, you'd get a deposit into your bank account simply for having the shares, without needing to sell your shares.

There are plusses and minuses to both. I work for a software company that has enormous sales, is very successful, and makes very popular products, but we're completely privately owned... not even owned by a private equity company or any initial investors. We're completely owned by ourselves. The company has never taken out a loan. It gives us remarkable leverage over our company and our choices and helps build on our success. At the same time, if we were to go public, it would make all of our employees rich immediately.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that so thoroughly. It's appreciated.

I know that we're conditioned/brainwashed/trained to think that private equity or venture capitalists are bad, but almost every technological product you use is the result of private equity or venture capitalism. It's really too bad that some private equity company outsourced manufactured labor at a failing steel plant in Pittsburgh 15 years ago, but, y'know, you wouldn't even know about that if you didn't have your laptop, iPhone, iPad, Kindle, mouse, keyboard, monitor, internet, videogame console, car radio, and everything else that you use to get information... all of which exist because of private equity and venture capitalism.

Guevara

I know that we're conditioned/brainwashed/trained to think that private equity or venture capitalists are bad, but almost every technological product you use is the result of private equity or venture capitalism. It's really too bad that some private equity company outsourced manufactured labor at a failing steel plant in Pittsburgh 15 years ago, but, y'know, you wouldn't even know about that if you didn't have your laptop, iPhone, iPad, Kindle, mouse, keyboard, monitor, internet, videogame console, car radio, and everything else that you use to get information... all of which exist because of private equity and venture capitalism.
Let's not conflate VC and PE. Almost everyone agrees start up capital can be a good thing. PE is usually an entirely different thing.

kirblar

Let's not conflate VC and PE. Almost everyone agrees start up capital can be a good thing. PE is usually an entirely different thing.
It's an important part of the life cycle of businesses. If a business is failing, having someone there to either redistribute the assets or try and right the ship is a good thing.

AHA-Lambda

It doesn't make sense for Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo to buy them.

The value in EA (and Activision) as a company is in their IP and licenses for multiple platforms.

If you buy the company to concentrate on your own console(s) it's a big bet to place hoping that the value you have written off (from the platforms that you force EA to abandon) will be replaced by new customers of your hardware platform to play the titles.

The reason that EA are in this position is that their costs are increasing but customers are leaving because they're getting tired of the same old genres and annual retreads.

So as a buyer of EA today, their brands and licenses may not have as much value as you originally thought after just another 12 or 24 months.

With the more expensive next generation looming, there's no wonder EA wants out.

But those are the only games that are the consistent big hits =/

This, I've been saying this for years. There won't be a crash but we will move closer and closer to being more like Hollywood
heck, you think we are creatively bankrupt now =/

Venture capital and private equity are two sides of the same coin, you can't have one without the other, and most venture capital firms have a corresponding private equity wing.

They screwed themselves over in my book pretty well with terrible policies, Project 10 dollar(even though I buy games new usually anyway), terrible DLC, rushed games and canceled projects...

EA kind of really started sucking it up late in the PS2/Xbox/GC generation all the way until 2007 or 2008 when I really started respecting them again, especially after Dead Space and their other original IP's. Now though, Mass Effect 3 sucks, Bioware is effectively dead, Dead Space 2 had a terrible Advertisement campaign, Project 10 dollar continues with them shutting down servers 18 months after a games release... I could keep going and going, but I will stop for now.

firen

IV6ae.jpg

itxaka

Defeatist
Old Microsoft was crazy enough to buy them, nowadays they are not.

So...Sony maybe? Just imagine Fifa ps4 exclusive...

Karak

Old Microsoft was crazy enough to buy them, nowadays they are not.

So...Sony maybe? Just imagine Fifa ps4 exclusive...

I don't know man. Their recent purchasing shows that MS is still mighty easy with wallet decisions and despite a large offset bet that they would make bank back by making all those games exclusive, its true that they are looking to fully conquer the living room. Buying up EA, smaller buy in fee for a xbox720, and trying to basically make it a completely 2 horse race may not be crazy to a company like them. They have shown that they plan way way ahead or at least really think a great deal in the future. Love them or hate them, they are just crazy enough. EA somehow partnering or consolidating with MS versus a complete buyout perhaps.

Still think it won't happen, but it would be a bloodbath if it did.

This seems a little far fetched to me. But if true I'm now glad that EA thought it was a great idea to spend 60 million a year just on the NFL license for Madden.

Matt

I don't know man. Their recent purchasing shows that MS is still mighty easy with wallet decisions and despite a large offset bet that they would make bank back by making all those games exclusive, its true that they are looking to fully conquer the living room. Buying up EA, smaller buy in fee for a xbox720, and trying to basically make it a completely 2 horse race may not be crazy to a company like them. They have shown that they plan way way ahead or at least really think a great deal in the future. Love them or hate them, they are just crazy enough. EA somehow partnering or consolidating with MS versus a complete buyout perhaps.

Still think it won't happen, but it would be a bloodbath if it did.

Not going to happen, it would be a huge waste of money. EA wouldn't bring anything to the table worth nearly that outlay for MS.

big_z

If nintendo or microsoft bought them we would have a one console future. The sports ip alone have a massive fanbase.

Sony can't buy them. That company is struggling to stay alive as is and buying ea would only help the console part of their business. Not enough there to help overall sony corp and when Sony goes out of business the job losses would be immense in the games industry.

Karak

Not going to happen, it would be a huge waste of money. EA wouldn't bring anything to the table worth nearly that outlay for MS.

I can't tell the future. So I still see the possibility of pretty much anything happening.

Forever

Banned
If nintendo or microsoft bought them we would have a one console future. The sports ip alone have a massive fanbase.

Sony can't buy them. That company is struggling to stay alive as is and buying ea would only help the console part of their business. Not enough there to help overall sony corp and when Sony goes out of business the job losses would be immense in the games industry.

No way Nintendo can afford it.

There were rumblings about Microsoft buying Activision. Imagine, just for a moment, if they were willing to sink the cash to purchase both Activision and EA.

Picture the monster it would create.

There were rumblings about Microsoft buying Activision. Imagine, just for a moment, if they were willing to sink the cash to purchase both Activision and EA.

Wouldn't be worth the money as all their games are multi-platform anyway. And all of the sports franchises have language in their contracts that forces them to be available multi-platform.

meppi

Can't say I feel bad for them. They pretty much brought it upon themselves with such a shitty attitude.

The way I see it, they can only improve after the rats leave the ship.

Well MS and Activision are rather close, so it couldn't surprise me actually.
Not that I'm wishing for it to happen as I don't buy Activision games myself.

I blame Angry Birds and Apple. Apple devalued software with 99 cent apps and shifted all the value in consumer's minds to hardware. Microsoft lost that tug of war of software vs. hardware.

Now fun speculation time:

Take-Two buys EA. Awesome because:

Madden NFL 2K
NBA Live 2K
FIFA 2K

Sega buys EA. Funny because:

Karma for Dreamcast snub.
Peter Moore back at Sega.

Microsoft buys EA. Epic because:

Mass Effect and Rallisport Challenge Xbox exclusives again.
Peter Moore back at Microsoft. Tats of all EA franchises all over his body.
Ultimate dudebro console victory.

Top Bottom