• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD Officer Is Charged in Arrest of Man Who Tried to Film Him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

Video of cop

Full story
A New York City police officer who arrested a man as he tried to film him and other officers
with a cellphone camera was charged on Tuesday with official misconduct and lying on a criminal complaint.

The charges brought against the officer, Jonathan Munoz, highlight a trend. Conflicts between citizens and the police
have become common in recent years, sometimes ending in arrests for disorderly conduct, as cameras have proliferated and passers-by have begun to videotape the police at work.

Officer Munoz, 32, of Suffern, N.Y., pleaded not guilty as he was formally charged before Justice Marcy L. Kahn in State Supreme Court in Manhattan. His lawyer, Stephen C. Worth,
said the officer was justified in making the arrest and should never have been indicted. “We look forward to his exoneration,” he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wheres-the-line-cellphone-video-putting-police-in-spotlight-sometimes-harshly/

Patrick Lynch, president of the union representing police officers, said people sometimes abuse their rights, using them to torment or harass officers.

"It escalates the tension and makes it more dangerous for everyone involved," Lynch said. "The act of recording police starts from the belief that every officer is doing something wrong and that's insulting to all police officers."

For officers, problems arise when recording can be interpreted as interfering with police activity, union officials say. They add that officers understand they may be filmed, but the line between interference and documentation is blurred when a bystander shoves a cellphone into a crime scene from an arms-length away and yells aggressively at officers.
Why are police union spokesmen such colossal assholes?

Jarmel

Banned
"The act of recording police starts from the belief that every officer is doing something wrong and that's insulting to all police officers."

Well if we didn't have officers blatantly lying and shooting people in the back, we might not be at this point.

Tripon

Camera footage is evidence.

Honestly, some people know they were getting away from stuff and they don't like the idea of people catching wond of it. I wouldn't like it if people were filming me at work (it still happens) and by and large, policemen work in the public area where they can never expect privacy. So I don't think they can ban it.

entremet

It's their job to defend their constituents.

Also since they're not public officials, they have more leeway. It's not like him saying these things will cause him to lose his job or calls to resign.

edit: Beaten by seconds lol

That said, I can still call him scum for doing that, though!

mr2xxx

Banned
Another case of someone "lunging" at an officer lol. Cops need to be fired when they blatantly lie about an incident yet they continue to get support.

Patrick Lynch, president of the union representing police officers, said people sometimes abuse their rights, using them to torment or harass officers.

"It escalates the tension and makes it more dangerous for everyone involved," Lynch said. "The act of recording police starts from the belief that every officer is doing something wrong and that's insulting to all police officers."

Let's switch that up a bit.

Patrick Lynch, president of the union representing citizens, said officers sometimes abuse their rights, using them to torment or harass citizens.

"It escalates the tension and makes it more dangerous for everyone involved," Lynch said. "The act of stopping and frisking citizens starts from the belief that every citizen is doing something wrong and that's insulting to all citizens."

Lynch is a hypocritical cunt and the world would be a better place without him.

Ovid

A New York City police officer who arrested a man as he tried to film him and other officers with a cellphone camera was charged on Tuesday with official misconduct and lying on a criminal complaint.

"The act of recording police starts from the belief that every officer is doing something wrong and that's insulting to all police officers."

Am I missing something here?

If you're going to record a police officer, you should really have someone else recording you to be safe. But then, someone should be recording them as well. This is a logistical nightmare.

Volimar

He's implying that because of the belief that only people film cops because they are breaking the law, the cop had no choice to break the law.

Circular logic.

YYifCzT.gif

Enzom21

because they only answer to the cops in their area

that's a solid guarantee of asshole behavior

They are literally paid to defend their members and their interests in all situations, just like all spokespeople.

It's their job to defend their constituents.

Also since they're not public officials, they have more leeway. It's not like him saying these things will cause him to lose his job or calls to resign.

edit: Beaten by seconds lol

That said, I can still call him scum for doing that, though!

Because their union holds all the power, and they know it? It's not like they will ever actually have to give anything up in negotiations.
Lol, it was a rhetorical question, I know why they're assholes.

It felt like the officer was trying to hit on the girl before the guy tried to film it. That seems to be an issue:
http://gawker.com/nypd-harassment-stories-feeling-helpless-when-an-offic-1634864400
i was about 14 years old, on my way home from school. i lived in east flatbush, brooklyn, coming home from school in manhattan. i exited the utica avenue train station, still in my school uniform, clearly underage. a young white cop came up to me and said hello - i stopped and said hello, thinking there must be some reason for him to speak to me. he asked to walk with me, i said i'm just going to the bus on the corner. we got to the corner and he asked for my phone number. i said i don't give out my number. he - very deliberately - rested his hand on his gun in it's holster, told me i'm pretty, and that he wanted to be able to get in touch with me. i didn't know what to say, i paused, and then he said "do you think it's a good idea to disobey a police officer?" - hand still on his gun. at this point the bus came and i ran into it as fast as i could.

Anyone should be able to film an on-duty uniformed cop at any time for any reason. If it feels like people don't trust you, I don't care. You have palpable power over our lives and well being and you should always be accountable for how you behave with that power.

Apathy

I swear, all public unions piss me off, always siding with whatever their idiot members do. You don't need to stand up for a member is they are doing something wrong, in fact you should be the ones being the loudest ones calling for appropriate actions against the dumb ones.

Yeef

Suffern, eh? That's only a few miles away. Surprised I didn't hear about it sooner.

I can certainly understand not wanting people looking over your shoulder when you're at work, but the more important the job the more scrutiny you should expect.

AlexMogil

I guess I'm in agreement there. It's insulting to feel like you're guilty just by suspicion.

Like random pat downs.

And stop and frisk.

And warrantless search and eavesdropping.

It really is insulting to always be under the assumption that you're doing something wrong.

HariKari

if they aren't doing anything wrong, what are they worried about?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

A jury found an NYPD officer guilty on Thursday of falsely arresting a man for filming him and illegally searching a woman in Washington Heights in 2014, then lying about the interaction in subsequent court documents to justify the bust.

Jonathan Munoz, 33, was convicted of filing a false instrument, official misconduct, and making a false statement, after a trial in Manhattan Supreme Court.

In all, Munoz was convicted of three misdemeanors and two felonies. The misdemeanors each carry maximum sentences of a year in prison, and the felonies carry maximum sentences of four years each. Sentencing is set for May 9th.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"It escalates the tension and makes it more dangerous for everyone involved,"

another thing that escalates tension: shooting the hell out of a brown dude because his Animal Aura and Possessed Eyes and Dehumanizing Stare frightened you

Alexlf

Great that some charges seem to have stuck. Reading the op, one line really struck me though:

people sometimes abuse their rights

Just, what? WHAT? Sorry people use their fundamental rights I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom