• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Hillary Clinton Told F.B.I. Colin Powell Advised Her to Use Private Email

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/u...ll-advised-her-to-use-private-email.html?_r=0

Pressed by the F.B.I. about her email practices at the State Department, Hillary Clinton told investigators that former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell had advised her to use a personal email account

The account is included in the notes the Federal Bureau of Investigation handed over to Congress on Tuesday, relaying in detail the three-and-a-half-hour interview with Mrs. Clinton in early July that led to the decision by James B. Comey, the bureau’s director, not to pursue criminal charges against her.

Separately, in a 2009 email exchange that also emerged during the F.B.I. questioning, Mrs. Clinton, who had already decided to use private email, asked Mr. Powell about his email practices when he was the nation’s top diplomat under George W. Bush, according to a person with direct knowledge of Mr. Powell’s appearance in the documents, who would not speak for attribution.

The journalist Joe Conason first reported the conversation between Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Powell in his coming book about Bill Clinton’s postpresidency, “Man of the World: The Further Endeavors of Bill Clinton,” which The Times received an advanced copy of.

Mr. Conason describes a conversation in the early months of Mrs. Clinton’s tenure at the State Department at a small dinner party hosted by Madeleine Albright, another former secretary of state, at her home in Washington. Henry Kissinger and Condoleezza Rice also attended.

“Toward the end of the evening, over dessert, Albright asked all of the former secretaries to offer one salient bit of counsel to the nation’s next top diplomat,” Mr. Conason writes. “Powell told her to use her own email, as he had done, except for classified communications, which he had sent and received via a State Department computer.”

Mr. Conason continued, “Saying that his use of personal email had been transformative for the department,” Mr. Powell “thus confirmed a decision she had made months earlier — to keep her personal account and use it for most messages.”

A longtime defender of the Clintons, Mr. Conason interviewed both Mr. and Mrs. Clinton for the book, a granular account of the years since Mr. Clinton left office that will be published on Sept. 13.

Mrs. Clinton and her campaign have repeatedly pointed to the use of personal email by Mr. Powell and other government officials to try and explain the email controversy to voters, but Mrs. Clinton has not said publicly that Mr. Powell personally recommended that she shun the official .gov email system.

In his memoir, “It Worked for Me,” Mr. Powell writes about his personal email, and he has taken pride in having tried to advance the antiquated technology practices at the State Department. But his use of personal email and Mrs. Clinton’s aren’t entirely parallel. Mr. Powell did not have a server at his house or rely on outside contractors, as Mrs. Clinton did at her home in Chappaqua, N.Y.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You're telling me the email issue was caused by republicans just like Benghazi?

You don't say!

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
This is great if Powell would go on record and confirm it. However, I'd be stunned if he did. Which means she looks like she just threw a top Republican under the bus with no real proof.

This is great if Powell would go on record and confirm it. However, I'd be stunned if he did. Which means she looks like she just threw a top Republican under the bus with no real proof.

Lying to the FBI is not something you do, especially when they can easily confirm whether or not you are telling the truth.

hawk2025

She didn't throw anyone under the bus.

She told the FBI, and Congress requested the notes from the interview. How is that throwing someone under the bus with no real proof? How do you prove you had a conversation with someone?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wait...wait....now Benghazi was caused by republicans?

I swear, this goddamn story changes every week...

Um... yeah... people just forgot that congress defunded security of Benghazi even after reports of an imminent attack against the facility.

Conspiracy time: Colin Powell was told to give Hillary that advice by the Bush clan so it'd blow up in her face during her Presidental run, allowing Jeb an easy path to the White House.

Then Trump happened...

Veelk

Banned
Um... yeah... people just forgot that congress defunded security of Benghazi even after reports of an imminent attack against the facility.

Oh, that. Well, I don't know if that qualifies as 'causing' exactly. It's more that republicans didn't really care until they could exploit it as a political advantage.

banktree

Banned
Wait...wait....now Benghazi was caused by republicans?

I swear, this goddamn story changes every week...

Republicans voted against security upgrades for embassies. That's not a story that's ever changed, cause it's right there in the voting records.

We've also known that Republican Secretary of States right before Hillary used Personal email. It's why just like the Benghazi issue, nobody cares except Republicans and the Far Far left.

Drek

The article references a forthcoming book that independently sourced the same basic conversation.

antipode

Colin Powell using personal email to mail staff is something he's admitted for a long time. Just shows the hypocrisy of the Republican attacks about this whole thing.

http://www.networkworld.com/article...te-department-tenure-oh-and-we-should-vo.html

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell acknowledged using insecure email during his tenure at the State Department – but as a way to create more immediate communication among those within and outside the department.

During his keynote address at Gartner Security and Risk Management Summit he told the 3,400 in attendance that he had two computers on his desk, one the official secure computer – “clunky and difficult to use” – and the other a laptop with a phone line and modem that he used exclusively for his AOL account.

The account, he says, was used only for unclassified communications to staff in Washington, D.C., and overseas. “The beauty of it was I eliminated time and space as a barrier to communications” he says. “I encouraged everybody to use it.”

He noted that his use of private email has been investigated thoroughly and it’s been found that he did nothing wrong by using it. “I stand ready to do the perp walk at any time. It’s not going to happen, he says. “In my time I used this as a tool to move an entire organization into the 21st Century… Nobody came to me in those four years and complained about it.”

Crisco

Banned
Why the fuck would anyone follow the advice of that lying shitbag?

hxdCpt2.gif

Isn't the difference that he only used it for uncalssified while people assert that Clinton used it for classified info as well? Someone correct me if wrong?

This is incorrect. Hillary didn't use her email for classified information. No secretary of state could or would have done that. There's an entirely separate system for it. There were some emails in her account that were improperly marked as classified, etc.

We don't know what was in Powell's emails because he either deleted them all or refused to turn them over.

Brakke

Banned
Not sure why this is relevant tho. Powell didn't have the authority to make a decision about what system Clinton should use, his implementation of "have two email accounts" was different than hers, and he hasn't been attacking her over the email thing (or at all?) so there's no hypocrisy angle on him.

If the big thing we're revealing here is that Republicans hold Republicans to different standards than they hold Democrats to, well... duh?

Aikidoka

I don't really see how it matters one way or the other. It doesn't make her use of a private e-mail server any better or worse.

This is incorrect. Hillary didn't use her email for classified information. No secretary of state could or would have done that. There's an entirely separate system for it. There were some emails in her account that were improperly marked as classified, etc.

We don't know what was in Powell's emails because he either deleted them all or refused to turn them over.

Ah, thanks for the info.

I don't really see how it matters one way or the other. It doesn't make her use of a private e-mail server any better or worse.

It confirms that the standard operating procedure was to use private email. Rice did it before her, Powell did it before Rice.

It gives Hillary a line of attack: If the GOP is so concerned about the use of private email, why don't they speak to Powell, Rice or even Kerry, who used a private email for a bit before the new laws took effect.

Lord Fagan

Sigh...

Just tired of being told to stop hating the player and to hate the game.

The player's are too good at this shitty game. That's when you go back to the drawing board and make a new game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

She didn't. These were in the notes the FBI sent to Congress, which were suppose to be confidential. I guess they were leaked to a press, as everybody guessed they would be.

Xe4

Banned
I'm not surprised. I beleive it was known for a while both Powell and Rice used non .gov email accounts. The only problem is it makes record keeping difficult. I don't beleive any of the three intentionally sent classified info through those channels, although I beleive all three did have classified info slip through.

I'm glad the state department is starting to fix this. Everyone high up in thr State Dept. should use a .gov email adress for record keeping purposes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, if this doesn't make it clear to everyone that this has been a witch hunt from day 1 then nothing will.

This isn't a revelation. I thought it was common fucking knowledge that both Rice and Powell used private emails.

Did people not know that Powell used private emails?

The big news here is Powell told Clinton to use it, not that fact that he used private emails himself.

Powell is a coward for not speaking up about this. Would have really diluted the "OMG SHE DID SOMETHING SO INSANELY CRIMINAL" theme.

MIMIC

Banned

This is the complete opposite of what Comey said:

For example, seven e-mail chains concern matters that were classified at the Top Secret/Special Access Program level when they were sent and received. These chains involved Secretary Clinton both sending e-mails about those matters and receiving e-mails from others about the same matters. There is evidence to support a conclusion that any reasonable person in Secretary Clinton’s position, or in the position of those government employees with whom she was corresponding about these matters, should have known that an unclassified system was no place for that conversation. In addition to this highly sensitive information, we also found information that was properly classified as Secret by the U.S. Intelligence Community at the time it was discussed on e-mail (that is, excluding the later “up-classified” e-mails).

None of these e-mails should have been on any kind of unclassified system, but their presence is especially concerning because all of these e-mails were housed on unclassified personal servers not even supported by full-time security staff, like those found at Departments and Agencies of the U.S. Government—or even with a commercial service like Gmail.

Separately, it is important to say something about the marking of classified information. Only a very small number of the e-mails containing classified information bore markings indicating the presence of classified information. But even if information is not marked “classified” in an e-mail, participants who know or should know that the subject matter is classified are still obligated to protect it.
FBI Press Release

So I'm a bit confused about something.

Republicans had Condoleezza Rice and Colin Powell, and now they have Ben Carson and Herman Cain...like what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom