• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Women in Tech Speak Frankly on Culture of Harassment

KSweeley

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/30/...speak-out-sexual-harassment.html?mcubz=0&_r=0

This is some really disturbing shit being reported by the NYT:

Tech news site The Information reported that female entrepreneurs had been preyed upon by a venture capitalist, Justin Caldbeck of Binary Capital. The new accounts underscore how sexual harassment in the tech start-up ecosystem goes beyond one firm and is pervasive and ingrained. Now their speaking out suggests a cultural shift in Silicon Valley, where such predatory behavior had often been murmured about but rarely exposed.

Wendy Dent, 43, whose company Cinemmerse makes an app for smart watches, said she was sent increasingly flirtatious messages by a start-up adviser, Marc Canter, as she was trying to start her company in 2014. Mr. Canter, who had founded a software company in the 1980s that became known as Macromedia, initially agreed to help her find a co-founder. But over time, his messages became sexual in nature.

In one message, reviewed by The Times, he wrote that she was a “sorceress casting a spell.” In another, he commented on how she looked in a blue dress and added, “Know what I’m thinking? Why am I sending you this — in private?”

Mr. Canter, in an interview, said that Ms. Dent “came on strong to me, asking for help” and that she had used her sexuality publicly. He said he disliked her ideas so he behaved the way he did to make her go away.

Lindsay Meyer, an entrepreneur in San Francisco, said Mr. Caldbeck put $25,000 of his own money into her fitness start-up in 2015. That gave Mr. Caldbeck reason to constantly text her; in those messages, reviewed by The Times, he asked if she was attracted to him and why she would rather be with her boyfriend than him. At times, he groped and kissed her, she said.

“I felt like I had to tolerate it because this is the cost of being a nonwhite female founder,” said Ms. Meyer, who is Asian-American.

Super fucked up.

Shit like this can't continue.

It is telling how this behavior always pops up in wealthy social circles or ones that hold great influence either politically/socially (Fox) or economically (Wall St)

Shaanyboi

Banned
There is a lot of really heinous sexist shit that dominates tech fields like this. You wish stuff like this was some kind of outlier, but it isn't.

sphagnum

Banned
"He said he disliked her ideas so he behaved the way he did to make her go away."

Yeah that makes sense instead of just saying "Go away."

Is there a documentary about this? Might give more power to out these assholes and improve lives for female entrepreneurs.

Dynasty

The women must have been in a really uncomfortable situation fuck that guy and fuck Trump because why not.

He said he disliked her ideas so he behaved the way he did to make her go away.

The fuck? So instead of just saying "Leave me alone" this fucker sent sexually charged messages, not only once but it seems multiple times? Yeah sure okay buddy you really wanted her to stop bothering you.

In my experience it's allowed to proliferate because the number one maxim seems to be 'we must not fluster the developers'.

Management need to be far firmer about sexism but they're reluctant to upset the socially awkward virgins that lay the golden eggs.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
As a woman in STEM this is so fucking infuriating. >:|

“He recognizes he has made mistakes and has been going through counseling to work on addressing changes in his previous unacceptable behavior.”
Oh great. You need fucking counseling to not sexually harass women? Fuck off.

I don't believe for a second that these scummy men will change their behaviour whatsoever. Maybe just because now they might get bad PR if they get caught. How can you not know what you're doing is wrong and creepy? Ugh, fuck right off.
Often, change happens only when there is a public revelation, some of the women said.
Ah, well there it is.

Why are there so many disgusting dudes around that do this shit. I seriously don't get how these people go through their daily lives without being disgusted by themselves.

The Kree

Banned
If men did this to other men, we'd all be walking around with black eyes and broken jaws. Women need to start lifting and fight training and beating these dudes asses.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If men did this to other men, we'd all be walking around with black eyes and broken jaws. Women need to start lifting and fight training and beating these dudes asses.
Yeah, that is clearly the solution...

tina-fey-eye-roll.jpg

As a woman in STEM this is so fucking infuriating. >:|

Oh great. You need fucking counseling to not sexually harass women? Fuck off.

I don't believe for a second that these scummy men will change their behaviour whatsoever. Maybe just because now they might get bad PR if they get caught. How can you not know what you're doing is wrong and creepy? Ugh, fuck right off.

You know, I think actual education on what is and isn't sexually harassment would help. Make it a mandatory thing in the work place that people have to do.
You would think people would know what sexually harassment is but clearly some do not, and hell if given a course they cannot hide by saying they didn't know.

Mr. Canter, in an interview, said that Ms. Dent “came on strong to me, asking for help” and that she had used her sexuality publicly. He said he disliked her ideas so he behaved the way he did to make her go away.

Smh.

KSweeley

You know, I think actual education on what is and isn't sexually harassment would help. Make it a mandatory thing in the work place that people have to do.
You would think people would know what sexually harassment is but clearly some do not, and hell if given a course they cannot hide by saying they didn't know.

Also, to have records, have everyone who took this workplace sexual harassment educational class sign a paper acknowledging that they understood the material and give specific penalties that would be applied to the employee who violates the company's sexual harassment policies.

Then you always get those losers who whine that this is "PC" (i.e. being respectful of others) culture and why can't you flirt with co-workers, where else is a man meant to meet a woman, how can that be sexual harassment I did that all the time and no women objected to it, blah blah blah. That reaction makes it all the more worth it lol.

jelly

I would not stand for that if I knew a co-worker was doing stuff similar to that. You would be out on your ear pronto.

Gattsu25

Banned
It wasn't a serious suggestion.
Then what was the point of making it?

--------
Thanks for the article, KSweeley. Glad to see this issue getting more attention, especially since I don't see the issue getting any better (only worse) from my perspective.

Also, I hope these whistleblowers don't suffer reprisals 😔

KSweeley

Thanks for the article, KSweeley. Glad to see this issue getting more attention, especially since I don't see the issue getting any better (only worse) from my perspective.

Also, I hope these whistleblowers don't suffer reprisals 😔

Not a problem, as a man myself I find this shit very disturbing and abhorrent. I also hope these whistleblowers won't be retaliated against for reporting this shit publicly.

I want to see everyone treated with dignity and respect.

Kayhan

Lindsay Meyer, an entrepreneur in San Francisco, said Mr. Caldbeck put $25,000 of his own money into her fitness start-up in 2015. That gave Mr. Caldbeck reason to constantly text her; in those messages, reviewed by The Times, he asked if she was attracted to him and why she would rather be with her boyfriend than him. At times, he groped and kissed her, she said.

This would be perfectly fine justification for the boyfriend to punch his lights out.

So is this a problem that is worse within tech companies etc or is it essentially the same shit that's been going on in the workplace since day one? Is it the surprise that (supposedly) educated men are still pricks? Were we expecting better from the Tech industry and are bitterly disappointed that the industry is as shit as any other?
I mean in every workplace I have ever even remotely had dealings with this has been an issue for as long as I've been working. I am not surprised at all.
Maybe there's a heady brew of wealth, ego and influence that is unique to the Tech industry. But from where I stand they've never been better then any other business. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

entremet

In my experience it's allowed to proliferate because the number one maxim seems to be 'we must not fluster the developers'.

Management need to be far firmer about sexism but they're reluctant to upset the socially awkward virgins that lay the golden eggs.

Did you read the article?

It's not about developers and work life, it's about the venture capitalists, who hold tons of the power in SV. These are not your awkward coders you're picturing in your head. These guys have tons of money, power and influence and it looks like that has gone to their heads, big time. This is about about female entrepreneurs wanting to start companies, raise funding being the traditional means (SV funding) and being taken advantage of.

Again, the better corollary would be Hollywood casting couch, where producers and agents hold tons of power too.

Pau

Man my current job isn't in tech but that's been something I'm interested in. This stuff though...

And used her sexuality publicly? What does that even mean?

Reminds me of the one time I wore make up to my old job. My supervisor took the opportunity to tell me he watches and pays cam models who look like me. I wonder if he thought me wearing make up was me using my sexuality publicly. :/

KSweeley

Man my current job isn't in tech but that's been something I'm interested in. This stuff though...

And used her sexuality publicly? What does that even mean?

Reminds me of the one time I wore make up to my old job. My supervisor took the opportunity to tell me he watches and pays cam models who look like me. Fun times.

WTF?!?!

commedieu

Banned
Did you read the article?

It's not about developers and work life, it's about the venture capitalists, who hold tons of the power in SV. These are not your awkward coders you're picturing in your head. These guys have tons of money, power and influence and it looks like that has gone to their heads, big time. This is about about female entrepreneurs wanting to start companies, raise funding being the traditional means (SV funding) and being taken advantage of.

Again, the better collorary would be Hollywood casting couch, where producers and agents hold tons of power too.

Yeah but they sews the seeds for underlings and culture. While this is specifically about power players, even the coders act the same. It sets a tone most definitely.

My supervisor took the opportunity to tell me he watches and pays cam models who look like me. I wonder if he thought me wearing make up was me using my sexuality publicly. :/

The fuck mate?! Can you report that to HR or something, holy shit.

entremet

Yeah but they sews the seeds for underlings and culture. While this is specifically about power players, even the coders act the same. It sets a tone most definitely.

Definitely. Look at Uber. However, the article has a very specific targets. And also shows why it's difficult to change the culture in SV, women fonded companies have an additional barrier--sleazeball VCs.

The classic libertarian retort would be to exhort more women to start more tech companies. However, as the article shows, it's even harder for them. That's outside of the of the male dominant power networks, which is another hurdle.

Pau

The fuck mate?! Can you report that to HR or something, holy shit.
I was leaving already in two weeks so I didn't feel it was worth it. And I'm a coward. :(

I'm glad the women here though felt comfortable enough to come forward with real names of the harassers and let NYT publish them. I hope they don't get too much backlash...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The more I read stories like these, the more I feel inordinately lucky to be a woman in tech and not having had to deal with this shit. It's like I'm the exception or something.

Uh, no? How about instead of getting to that point, men shut the fuck up and stop saying this? How about we put down severe repercussions for that type of behavior?

Irnbru

I was leaving already in two weeks so I didn't feel it was worth it. And I'm a coward. :(

I'm glad the women here though felt comfortable enough to come forward with real names of the harassers and let NYT publish them. I hope they don't get too much backlash...

Can you report this to your HR anonymously? My company allows people to do that, not sure if it's the same at other places.

louiedog

The more I read stories like these, the more I feel inordinately lucky to be a woman in tech and not having had to deal with this shit. It's like I'm the exception or something.

My girlfriend hasn't had any issues. It helps that her team is mostly women I'm sure and as far as I'm aware none of them have either. She was warned guys on another team in the department near them could be "kind of bro-y" and to let her manager know if that ever became a problem in terms of maybe talking about inappropriate stuff at work (edit: I think they meant more like women they picked up over the weekend or going to a strip club inappropriate than harassing women at the office inappropriate) but that never happened.

KSweeley

Sigh

This is not a valid solution. A) it uses violence to 'solve' a problem of behavior, B) it relies on some man to fix a problem for 'his' woman.
This is just more of the same.

I suspect it means "had breasts". And yes, that's what your supervisor thought too.

Theoretically. However, if a comment was not heard by multiple people, who are willing to testify about it, then it can't be proved to have happened
Reading the case law for sexual harassment lawsuits is extremely depressing, knowing that the difficulties those women faced had to get to such a severe level to be provable in a court of law.

This is absolute bullshit to me, woman receives completely fucked up, inappropriate comment while working and she needs multiple witnesses to come with her to HR to corroborate what she was told??? WTF?!?!?!

vordhosbn

Banned
Notice how it's all guys at the top (CEOs, investors, advisers) I'm not surprised about this at all, as a POC who works in tech I've met many entitled white men abusing their position.

g11

Not at all surprising. People who have or control that much money can't help but lord it over others, up to and including as a bargaining chip for sex.

cameron

NYT said:
In 2014, Sarah Kunst, 31, an entrepreneur, said she discussed a potential job at 500 Startups, a start-up incubator in San Francisco. During the recruiting process, Mr. McClure, a founder of 500 Startups and an investor, sent her a Facebook message that read in part, “I was getting confused figuring out whether to hire you or hit on you.”

Ms. Kunst, who now runs a fitness start-up, said she declined Mr. McClure’s advance. When she later discussed the message with one of Mr. McClure’s colleagues, she said 500 Startups ended its conversations with her.

500 Startups said Mr. McClure, who did not respond to a request for comment, was no longer in charge of day-to-day operations after an internal investigation.

Update via BBC: Silicon Valley investor resigns after harassment claims
The founder of Silicon Valley-based venture capitalist firm 500 Startups has resigned following sexual harassment claims by several women.

Dave McClure announced his resignation in a blog entitled: "I'm a creep. I'm sorry."

Entrepreneur Sarah Kunst had claimed in the New York Times that Mr McClure sent inappropriate messages after discussing a potential job offer with her.

Mr McClure apologised directly to her for his behaviour in his post.

He also admitted that he had behaved inappropriately towards other women.

"I made advances towards multiple women in work-related situations, where it was clearly inappropriate," wrote Mr McClure.

"I put people in compromising and inappropriate situations, and I selfishly took advantage of those situations where I should have known better. My behaviour was inexcusable and wrong."
After the article, tech entrepreneur Cheryl Yeoh also published claims of an assault in her apartment and claimed there were "dozens" of women who had been sexually harassed by him.

She said she had invited Mr McClure and some other investors back to her home to brainstorm new ideas in 2014. He was the last to leave.

"He pushed himself on to me to the point where I was backed into a corner, made contact to kiss me, and said something along the lines of, 'Just one night, please just this one time,'" she wrote.

Ms Yeoh said she had already told Mr McClure that she had a boyfriend, and that he knew him.

"The fact that I had to say no multiple times, and that he had pushed himself on to me and kissed me without my consent was way more than crossing the line of inappropriateness," she wrote.

McClure's I’m a Creep. I’m Sorry. blog post: https://500hats.com/im-a-creep-i-m-sorry-d2c13e996ea0

Yeoh's Shedding Light on the “Black Box of Inappropriateness” blog post: https://cherylyeoh.com/2017/07/03/shedding-light-on-the-black-box-of-inappropriateness/

Edit: Cheryl Yeoh's post is worth reading.

Top Bottom