• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Women in Tech Speak Frankly on Culture of Harassment

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Edit: Cheryl Yeoh's post is worth reading.
Holy shit, yes. If only to see the people defending that creep and saying he shouldn't have to apologize because he's a MAN and that's what MEN DO. Ugggh

Edit: I like her idea of A-D thresholds for harassment. Sounds like a good template

Oh great. You need fucking counseling to not sexually harass women? Fuck off.

Your anger is entirely understood.. but yes, men definitely need counseling for something like this and it is definitely an effective step for correcting this behavior.

Thankfully, quite a few guys caught in this reveal have been running away with their tail between their legs, so this has been a pretty positive thing these ladies have done. Ive worked in the IT sector a while but mostly around helpdesks until the last year or two so I wasn't aware this was a problem.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This shit is horrifying. These guys should be jailed.

I'm glad this subject is getting more exposure but really, the perpetrators shouldn't need extremely public exposure before they get consequences for their actions. The culture itself is fucked as well.

Definitely read Yeoh's blog post. The number of people supporting the guy for "acting like himself" is fucking disgusting.

Actually you know what, here's a snippet because it needs to be seen:
After the meeting, Khailee, Dave, and a few others (including two other females), came over to my apartment to brainstorm about 500 Startups' new Growth / Distribution Accelerator, Cerebro (later rebranded as Distro Dojo) and also a hashtag for MaGIC, the organization that I was leading.

What started out to be an innocent night of just jamming and hanging out at my new apartment turned into a nightmare episode that has been haunting me for the past 3 years. Dave kept pouring scotch into my glass before I finished drinking throughout the night, and hours into the night way past midnight, suddenly, everyone except Dave decided to order an Uber. They all promptly left, and left Dave there with me. I was quite confused by how that happened so quickly.

I quickly asked if Dave wanted to order an Uber and leave like the rest of them but he said no. Perplexed, I offered him to crash on the couch or the guest room and proceeded to show him the guest room. Then I went into my own bedroom but Dave followed me there, and that's when he first propositioned to sleep with me. I said no. I reminded Dave that he knew my then-boyfriend and that we'd just talked about him earlier that night.

At this point, I led him to the door and told him he needs to leave. On the way out, he pushed himself onto me to the point where I was backed into a corner, made contact to kiss me, and said something along the lines of ”Just one night, please just this one time." Then he told me how he really likes strong and smart women like me. Disgusted and outraged, I said no firmly again, pushed him away and made sure he was out my door.
This goes way beyond "I'm a creep." This is fucking attempted rape. And the people around this guy might have been complicit in it too, considering how they all left so suddenly.

Read the rest of the post too.

Top Bottom