• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(NYTIMES) Molly: Pure, but Not So Simple aka MDMA is now hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Science is correct. Yet alcohol is legal, hydrocodone (!!) is the most prescribed drug in the United States at over 130 million prescriptions per year, and MDMA is Schedule I alongside heroin:

We need to assess drugs empirically. More people are dying each year in the US from prescription drug OD/synergy than from car crashes, hydrocodone is handed out like candy despite the incredible harm potential (addiction, LD50, lethal synergy with alcohol/benzos/others), marijuana is one of the most potent painkillers available and nearly entirely harmless yet still not treated as a legitimate medical option by many. Sure, but heroin in pill form, no problem.

Gotta feed that prison-industrial complex using that pharmaceutical/medical-industrial complex, etc.

We don't really have the same scale problem with prescription drugs in the UK, in part thanks to the NHS being perpetually penniless, lol. But the UK will be right there with you in a few decades - maybe less: privatized prison system, privatized police force, NHS is looking damn shaky with around 200 MPs who would directly benefit from carving it up. We have already outsourced Search and Rescue operations.

More people are dying each year in the US from prescription drug OD/synergy than from car crashes, hydrocodone is handed out like candy despite the incredible harm potential (addiction, LD50, lethal synergy with alcohol/benzos/others)

I would love to see the statistics of car crashes involving drivers under the influence of prescription drugs in the US. Although, I'm not sure if US even has a universally implemented test for drink driving.

On MDMA: I met an ex-serviceman (through a pal in the army) who had PTSD. He had been on civvy street for about two years after spending twenty consecutive years doing tours in places like Northern Ireland, Kosovo, Iraq - when they were at their worst.

He had aggression problems, drinking problems, gambling problems, couldn't hold down a job and had developed a deep-set mistrust of any non-caucasian - the army conditions you to dehumanize the enemy, although xenophobia occurs naturally in many. As one of my other friends was part Burmese, this was a problem. He had extensive counselling - no effect.

So, naturally, we took him to a rave/free party that my friends were putting on, hehe. During the course of the night he took some MDMA, danced like a loon and chatted the ear off of many people from many ethnic backgrounds until the sun came back up.

I bumped into him a few weeks later: he walked up to me and shook my hand. He said that he felt like he could relate to people again, more people than ever before; that he felt like his anxiety and anger had been lifted from him. He was less cynical about his future - hopeful even. It was completely evident in his appearance, like a sea change.

We didn't expect this effect, we didn't plan for it and couldn't have predicted it - it just something that happened in the course of life. He didn't become a druggy or a raver, he knocked about with us for a bit but then got married to his ex-gf and I didn't see much more of him. He got his life back on track thanks to that one night out.

Anecdotal, of course but quite relevant to why MDMA employed in a controlled therapy session wight not be such a bad thing.

Sai-kun

Banned
Not physically addictive, but definitely mentally. I'm not sure how comfortable I feel posting about my experience with it? Idk.

Menelaus

Banned
Do I want holes in my brain? Fuck no. Enjoy your sweats, kids.

5htctx.jpg

IrishNinja

I'm so fucking tired of this shit, GAF. I'm tired of seeing this. Every time I click on a thread about drugs all the replies are a circlejerk of people trying to convince everyone to join in on the essential-to-enjoying-life experience of taking whatever drug happens to be in the topic name.

Bye Off Topic, it's time to quit you.

grizz i was once straight edge too

now i'm POPPED A MOLLY IM SWEATIN WOOO

Meet the new Ecstasy, same as the old Ecstasy.

This is fucking weird. Rebranding a drug and people are falling for it. And apparently older people who were around when Ecstasy was the big thing in the mid to late 90s and early 00s.

m3k

Well I'm glad the research is saying its better than it was in the 2000's... But good luck finding pure mdma or finding dearlers who know what they're doing

The general GAF population is so beyond ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=mdma+theraputic+uses

Do some reading and broaden your horizons. "Popping Mollys" has been around for a long time and is highly researched. Alcohol is so much worse, you people don't even knoooooow.

EDIT: LOL @ the holes in your brain post. You don't even know what you're talking about. Do you go around posting graphs of alcoholics livers too?

You're soooooo out of your element it's not even funny, GAF.

Do some reading and broaden your horizons. "Popping Mollys" has been around for a long time and is highly researched. Alcohol is so much worse, you people don't even knoooooow.

EDIT: LOL @ the holes in your brain post. You don't even know what you're talking about. Do you go around posting graphs of alcoholics livers too?

what is this gaf you are talking about

Grinchy

Banned
If feeling a huge weight lift off of your shoulders and having only feelings of love and relaxation is trouble, than MDMA is it.

Everyone should have an MDMA experience with a close group of friends or family at least once in their life.

His story ended with passing out on the toilet after puking all night. He takes things too far and didn't just do this Molly, but for people who get addicted to things easily, it does sound like trouble.

Did you read the thread? A majority of people here are saying the exact same thing.

Man gaf, you all generalize sooooooooo much.

Yeah MDMA is fine to do a few times in your life I guess, but I would imagine that any kind of routine use, like even once a month or something would not be good for your seratonin levels. And if not the levels themselves, then your body's seratonin tolerance so to speak.

I'm so fucking tired of this shit, GAF. I'm tired of seeing this. Every time I click on a thread about drugs all the replies are a circlejerk of people trying to convince everyone to join in on the essential-to-enjoying-life experience of taking whatever drug happens to be in the topic name.

Bye Off Topic, it's time to quit you.
Honest question, Grizz..

Have you ever drank an alcoholic beverage or taken an aspirin?

What about drinking coffee?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Re: issues with serotonin receptors, my unqualified not-a-medical-professional lay understanding (though mostly substantiated by animal testing, not human testing, for obvious reasons) is that it's likely that there is a fairly narrow range between full MDMA experience and going too high in dosage leading to unnecessary complications with serotonin. Also that repeat exposure in quick succession is a very bad idea, since it dumps all of your serotonin at once and that takes time to build back up to normal levels, so redosing before that point can damage the receptors (and not give you nearly as good a time, regardless).

The sensible party-goer, then, might limit to once a month at the absolute most and stay under 200mg total in the night, not drink alcohol at the same time, stay hydrated but not excessively so, and supplement with antioxidants before, during, and after (due to the oxidative properties). All things the rave scene tries to promote awareness of.

That's a lot to keep in mind, though, and dumb self-destructive kids with access to drugs will do dumb things, as always and as with access to anything that has potential for abuse. Death statistics are very low comparatively (mostly about being cut with other substances, overheating due to lack of water, or toxic levels of water consumption), but abuse or regular use certainly seems like it can lead to lower serotonin levels long-term, which can lower quality of life and lead to depression. IIRC one patient tested after ~50 doses across two years had 80% the serotonin levels as prior to the beginning of MDMA exposure.

cdyhybrid

What's with America acting like Ecstasy / MDMA is some kind of new thing?

Because they just heard Kanye rap about it

Cause they are late to the party.

Welcome to 1988 America.

Keep an eye out for the Happy Mondays. I hear they're going to be big!

vaRhgeZ.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried it for the first time back in October, have done it once since. Making an active attempt to not go overboard with it. It's fun, a nice change up from alcohol. Not something I'd want to do regularly though.

way more

They called me a fool for investing in barns and glowsticks once the bottom fell out at the close of the Willenium, but who is the fool now!

You don't drink alcohol, right?

Nope. I don't care about the damage, as someone who used to sell drugs back in the day I loved selling people on the "experience and life altering change" of these drugs. I'm sorry if it's rude, but I consider anyone who loves these kind of drugs to be dummies. Oh, and thanks for the money.

aznpxdd

Aw, this reminds me I'm skipping EDC in Las Vegas this year. Been going for the last couple years and nothing beats dropping with a bunch of close friends with epic music going down around you. I also love smoking weed while on E, shit is sooo good.

Dreaver

The stigma around mdma is so fucking stupid. So many people and friends around me are prejudiced. Whining about it's bad for you while drinking a lot of alcohol themselves, so ironic. I have done it a few times and I don't see why I shouldn't use it sporadic. There isn't even prove that it's dangerous if you use it sporadic. While there are tons of researches that show how alcohol fucks up your brain (and loads of people apparently don't care).

I would rather have a party full of people on mdma then drunk from alcohol.

I encourage everyone in my environment to try it at least one time in their life. Just for the experience. Why not? As long as you are prepared, with people you trust and be careful there really isn't that much that can happen...

gryz

Banned
gaf drug threads are always great. the sad thing is that i understand posts like grizznkev's all too well, I was like that too before trying mdma 10 years ago lol

highrider

Banned
at least you know what you get when you buy alcohol, a dealer telling you that they have got the purest shit straight out of Amsterdam are most of the time full of shit.
My anti-drug, is alcohol.

I'm fascinated by mdma and dmt, but at 46 I'm just going to stick to my cheba.

Seanspeed

Banned
Lol at anyone messing with these drugs.

Nope. I don't care about the damage, as someone who used to sell drugs back in the day I loved selling people on the "experience and life altering change" of these drugs. I'm sorry if it's rude, but I consider anyone who loves these kind of drugs to be dummies. Oh, and thanks for the money.
A) You've never taken ecstasy

B) You've never sold drugs

C) You've never done either

Which one is it?

EDIT: I think I mainly post in these threads not to advocate the use of any drugs, but because there's so much god damn misinformation out there concerning them. Life-altering experiences are not uncommon.

Is dopamine or serotonin the organic chemical that induces euphoria? I get the two confused, but I think I'm on an anti depressant that artificially increases my serotonin levels to avoid depression. It's an amazing drug, but if I go without it for a few days I literally break down and cry at random. I'm an emotional wreck that can't function. Not sure if those are withdrawl symptoms or if I literally can't function without my meds. The question is moot though, so long as I'm always on my meds!

Resilient

To all those suggesting that you conduct an adequate amount of research into the drug ou are taking: what constitutes as research? At what point do you say "I've done enough research into this drug and am confident there will be no ill side effects"? Did you read it on a blog? Or are you qualified chemists?

Seanspeed

Banned
Is dopamine or serotonin the organic chemical that induces euphoria? I get the two confused, but I think I'm on an anti depressant that artificially increases my serotonin levels to avoid depression. It's an amazing drug, but if I go without it for a few days I literally break down and cry at random. I'm an emotional wreck that can't function. Not sure if those are withdrawl symptoms or if I literally can't function without my meds. The question is moot though, so long as I'm always on my meds!
Basic way of thinking about it is:

Dopamine is your reward center. It does a lot of things, but with drugs, it essentially creates the addictiveness of certain drugs like coke and meth. Your brain is basically like, "Man, ok, that was great, lets do it again soon." It creates its own sense of satisfaction from that.

Serotonin is what creates those pure euphoric feelings, like with MDMA. Its the pleasure center.

You're joking, right?

No, I have never tried ecstasy, I apologize if people are offended in my opinion on the matter considering never even trying it. I've always had this grounded attitude towards what I want to experience and drugs like ecstasy seemed too extreme for what I want in a drug. I've never been much of an alcohol guy either, just weed. I think it stems from a need for control which you'd typically have to resolve with those drugs. Also, if you've had a hard life, taking those drugs are no-no imo, seen it ruin some of my peers lives so that's also influenced my opinion.

Oh, and to the guys above, I was just being a dick, lol, sorry.

Darryl

Banned
It's gotten really hip around here. I mean it's always been hip under different names, but now it's like really hip. It's taking over the top spot from weed.

Sai-kun

Banned
Aw, this reminds me I'm skipping EDC in Las Vegas this year. Been going for the last couple years and nothing beats dropping with a bunch of close friends with epic music going down around you. I also love smoking weed while on E, shit is sooo good.

First time I ever tried Molly was with a really good friend at Coachella this year, during the last night of the festival, and it wasn't quite life-altering, but it was definitely one of the highlights of the whole thing. We saw Eric Prydz which was really fun, but we were still hyped when his set ended, so we went to an after-party of sorts and just danced our faces off for another couple hours. It was so awesome.

Second time i ever tried it was at another festival last weekend, and I was afraid it was crappy, and then just a couple minutes later i felt a bit woozy, and I could tell it hit me. Just thinking about it makes me recall the feeling of "knowing" it was working haha. It kicked in just in time for the final set of the festival, which was Calvin Harris, and he was the only DJ playing, so everyone packed into the main stage area, which was the inside of a football field. When the music started, it was just insane. It was seriously one of the happiest, coolest, things ive ever experienced. The lights, the sound, the crowd, all just perfection.

If you can get it from someone you absolutely trust, and you can have them/another person you trust by your side, I'd totally recommend it at least once, especially if you enjoy lively concerts/festivals.

The mentally addicting part sucks though. At least, for me. There are also definitely pre-/post-drug-taking rituals you have to follow, otherwise you'll just feel the worst :(

The only negative thing I've experienced with it is just wanting to relive certain moments over and over again, and wishing i could go back to those more often than I might normally.

Edit: oops I wrote a lot more than I thought I would! It's exciting, what can I say.

GrizzNKev

Banned
grizz i was once straight edge too

now i'm POPPED A MOLLY IM SWEATIN WOOO

lol'd

Honest question, Grizz..

Have you ever drank an alcoholic beverage or taken an aspirin?

What about drinking coffee?

I don't drink anything with caffeine in it. No need to build a reliance, I'm generally pretty energetic without needing some routine drink. Water does me just fine.

No alcohol for me either. One of my best friends is now a bumbling drunk very, very often. Very. It turned me off drinking pretty hard. I feel no desire to do it socially.

Aspirin, for like, headaches? No, they usually go away after a little while on their own. Only time I take any kind of drug is when it's prescribed for something severe or contagious, which is extremely rare.

Also, thanks to those of you who reached out to me via PM. It's nice to know I'm not alone in handling these issues. FYI, I have no issue with legalization of drugs deemed generally harmless as long as they're kept far away from me. I would only hope people in my life are smart enough not to use them.

it's fun stuff, and with the right preparation it's basically harmless. magnesium beforehand, 5-htp afterwards and you're fine. no more than once a month at the earliest, I hear once every two or three months is better.

the way it's referred to around here ecstasy is the pressed pills which are usually MDMA cut with something like caffeine or meth (hopefully not) or possibly something like BZP+TFMPP which really sucks (take it from me). Molly is usually referring to crystalized MDMA in a capsule. I'm not really seeing the $20 a dose either, unless it's actually legit from Amsterdam pressed pills

ecstasydata.org and pillreports.com are good resources for checking what's in your stuff

True, that or dat. People will always have vices, many of which are worse than a temporary chemically induced altered state - it should be about harm reduction: better education, decriminalization of possession, treatment for addiction - maybe even legalization trials for tax and purity reasons. And base it all on the evidence of independent research. Ha, ha.

apt

Unfortunately, political ping-pong based on private interests, populist policies and the reactions to, will always trump logical conclusions from critical reasoning based on numerous empirical studies. That goes for either side of the Atlantic.

Imho, it goes: commission study to appease one demographic/party/etc >>>> completely ignore results of study to appease another/suit agenda/etc, repeat ad infinitum.

The landscape eventually changes but requires a blood sacrifice - lots of. Same deal with religion, really. It all depends on the economic climate, invested interests and the direction of the wind on Jupiter.

For instance tobacco. Well, energy but same deal:

It's all pretty disgusting and it's the majority who always end up suffering sooner or later. Round and round we go.

Crack is safer than Alcohol? That's kind of hard to believe.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Crack is safer than Alcohol? That's kind of hard to believe.

It depends on which metrics you want to determine safety with.

Alcohol has a pretty awful LD50 compared to typical recreational dose, leading to frequent cases of alcohol poisoning and death. Worse LD50 than cocaine. It also has extremely dangerous synergy with many other substances. It impairs motor skills and inhibition at the same time, leading to many thousands of drunk driving deaths, fights, and instances of domestic abuse. The short and medium term consequences include rapid weight gain, and long-term you're looking at cirrhosis, cancer, etc.

I would rank crack cocaine more harmful to its individual users and society than alcohol on the basis of its addiction potential and the rate of physical wasting involved with its chronic users, pretty clearly, but make no mistake, alcohol is a hard drug and among the most dangerous. It's just culturally entrenched. Crack is also known for being cut with all manner of really terrible toxic chemicals, which is its main problem beyond cocaine's long-term effects on the heart.

That doesn't mean that I necessarily want coke and heroin for sale at Walgreens to "even it out," or that I would like to see alcohol banned either, but I do believe these data are relevant in discussions about significantly less dangerous substances like marijuana, psilocybin mushrooms, LSD, and MDMA, all heavily regulated and demonized.

Boogie9IGN

<3ed molly for years but I stopped a year or two ago and now very rarely do it.

Those $20-50 prices quoted in the article are fucking ridiculous though, never paid more than $7.

akira28

eh. headshrinkers have been using this stuff in therapy sessions for years. Probably still are in some places. I can dig it.

I've seen stories though. This news doc followed this middle aged man around. Had a family, home, recently lost his job, and spent his days fucked up on this blue homemade gunk he said was MDMA.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
GrizzNKev said:
FYI, I have no issue with legalization of drugs deemed generally harmless as long as they're kept far away from me. I would only hope people in my life are smart enough not to use them.

If they're generally harmless, why would you care if the people in your life took them?

"Smart enough" not to use them? Get off your high horse.

Maybe some people can handle MDMA without negative effects and addiction, but I never could. I would have the most amazing highs, followed by the lowest lows for like 24 hours. I suffered from depression to begin with and ecstasy made it 10x worse. I think the way it fucked with my brain chemistry changed things for a couple of years actually.

When the high subsided (and the down came quickly after the peak) all I wanted was another pill. After 3, 4 rolls in a row a pill or two wouldn't have an effect. I think all the happy chemicals were purged from my brain. Then for a couple days I'd wallow in the darkest depression. It was never as bad as that without ecstasy.

So yeah, it's not good for everybody. And it was never as good as the first time (which incidentally was absolutely pure and a fairly large dose - hell of a first roll).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom