• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYTimes: NFL Hall of Famer Frank Gifford Had CTE, Family Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDX

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/26/sports/football/frank-gifford-had-cte-family-says.html?_r=0

Frank Gifford, the Hall of Fame N.F.L. running back who was involved in one of the most brutal collisions in league history, was found to have chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disease.

The finding, which can only be confirmed posthumously, was announced by Gifford’s family on Wednesday, more than three months after Gifford died. His family said it hoped that in publicizing the diagnosis, more attention would be paid to medical research linking football and traumatic brain injury.

“While Frank passed away from natural causes this past August at the age of 84, our suspicions that he was suffering from the debilitating effects of head trauma were confirmed” when he was diagnosed with the disease, known commonly as C.T.E., the Gifford family said in a statement. “During the last years of his life Frank dedicated himself to understanding the recent revelations concerning the connection between repetitive head trauma and its associated cognitive and behavioral symptoms — which he experienced firsthand.”

Gifford’s family would not be eligible for any award under the terms of the settlement between the N.F.L. and the retired players who accused the league of hiding from them the dangers of repeated head hits. Only players who were found to have C.T.E. and who died before the settlement was approved in late April may receive up to $4 million. Gifford died in August. The settlement, however, is under appeal and could be amended.

MEV4JX4.jpg

IFnJfTJ.jpg

I really don't know how the NFL is going to ultimately deal with this CTE issue.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The lack of any replies is basically going to be the response from the NFL isn't it?

entremet

The lack of any replies is basically going to be the response from the NFL isn't it?

He's from an older era, where many of the posters here would not have experienced or been born.

That's most likely the reason.

I do remember his broadcasting days. He was on Monday Night Football.

What's interesting is that he seemed to have his wits to him even then.

Looks like the CTE symptoms manifested themselves during a more advanced aged. Over 70 in his case. Unless, he had milder symptoms during his commenting days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom