• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Gifford, NFL Hall of Famer, dies at 84

Status
Not open for further replies.

statham

NFL Hall of Famer Frank Gifford has died, according to a statement from his family. He was 84 years old.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13405193/frank-gifford-nfl-hall-famer-dies-84
The 1956 NFL MVP, Gifford was drafted in the first round by the New York Giants in 1952 out of USC.

An ironman at USC, Gifford carried that versatility to the NFL where he was voted to eight Pro Bowls at three different positions -- defensive back, halfback and flanker.

After suffering a crushing hit at the hands of Chuck Bednarik of the Philadelphia Eagles, Gifford briefly retired, sitting out the 1961 season. He returned in 1962 as a wide receiver before retiring for good in 1964.

Gifford was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in 1977 after a career that saw him rush for 3,609 yards and 34 touchdowns, catch 367 passes with 43 touchdowns and throw for 14 touchdowns -- the most by any non-quarterback in NFL history.

turtle553

Useless fact. The area where I grew up had all the streets named for members of the late 50's Giants. I knew a lot of people who grew up on Gifford.

1VsZIGG.png

Bodacious

Banned
they're all gone now. my childhood. I remember making deals with my dad on Monday nights for how long I could stay up based on the point spread at the end of the 3rd quarter.

RIP Frank. Don. Howard.

gvxRIUz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom