• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion to be PS3 launch title! ...and a PSP version?

sonycowboy said:
Yeah, I've consistently thought, "You know, this PSP game could have easily been done on a cell phone. They are pretty much the same."

[/super duper mongo rolleyes]

I don't think he's saying PSP=NGage it's just that they'd have to radically restructure the game to make it play on the portable.....like they did with the cell phone version.

teiresias

I honestly don't see the point of an Oblivion port on PSP - just when we have Loco Roco coming along to show us rather unique gameplay experiences one can have on PSP we'd want to play what is perhaps the quintissential "sit in your living room for hours and play" game on the PSP?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Marconelly said:
Obliivion for PSP? Huh? Maybe some side quest type of deal.

To those of you who have played the game extensively, how difficult do you think it would be to port something like that with massively scaled down graphics?

Basically, how much more the actual game (not graphics!) is complex that Morrowind, which was a game I could possibly see on PSP, with graphics much worse than on Xbox obviously.

Have in mind that there are engines on PSP (Daxter) that allow for streaming environments like we are used on consoles, and despite that Daxter is one of the best looking games on the system.

The game would lose a crapload of it's immersion without the physics. That's what separates it beyond the far improved graphics for me. It wouldn't be near the same game on PSP even if they somehow could cut it down enough.

Maybe they figured out how to port Morrowind and it will follow the PSP port plan of releasing the previous game at the same time on the handheld. Sure would be cool (though I doubt it's possible).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if they'll have any PSP<->PS3 options. I wonder if you could do something with your character between each title, home and away.

Still, I already got the PC version (unopened..will remain so til after my exams). It'd have to be a special port to get my euros. Good news still, though, it's a high profile game.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I don't think he's saying PSP=NGage it's just that they'd have to radically restructure the game to make it play on the portable.....like they did with the cell phone version.

Radically restructuring doesn't really seem to be an option, IMO. It's simply not built for the handheld (or even current gen systems). I'd rather they make a seperate, but related game, than to try any kind of a port. We'll see.

sonycowboy said:
Radically restructuring doesn't really seem to be an option, IMO. It's simply not built for the handheld (or even current gen systems). I'd rather they make a seperate, but related game, than to try any kind of a port. We'll see.

You're right. Oblivion is just not built for a handheld and the PSP version will more than likely be some off shoot/side story but they have to restructure it. It just won't work on the PSP the way it currently is. It'll end up looking VERY different and probably playing pretty different as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be some action dungeon crawler.

IJoel

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a multiplatform release of "TES 4: Oblivion Platinum Edition" or something like that and include all released marketplace content, more quests, and a new expansion pack, along with the release of a stand-alone expansion pack for both X360 and PS3.

Jim

I'd expect the PSP version to be more akin to the Daxter/Jak & Daxter situation. Kind of a PSP sidestory taking place in the same universe. There's no way in hell Bethesda would bother "porting" the game, as is, to the PSP.

Inside the industry I listened to this not long ago... I thought it was completely false... until now. The ps3 and psp versions might be connected. The PSP version could be a completely different adventure where you could "make" your own character and then transfer it to the PS3 version. On the go you could get the psp version, play with you character (level-up, learn new habilities...) and then transfer it to the console version.

People laughed at the thought of GTA on the PSP too. But it turned out great. A PSP version of Oblivion, with a properly redesigned engine, could be a blast. I'm certainly interested if it offers a different story/experience from the 360. I have no interest in playing the PS3 version if it is essentially the same game as the 360 however.

xBigDanx

Musashi Wins! said:
The game would lose a crapload of it's immersion without the physics. That's what separates it beyond the far improved graphics for me. It wouldn't be near the same game on PSP even if they somehow could cut it down enough.

Maybe they figured out how to port Morrowind and it will follow the PSP port plan of releasing the previous game at the same time on the handheld. Sure would be cool (though I doubt it's possible).

What physics???

You mean the physics that turn your body into a rigid corpse every time you jump? You mean the physics that make the creatures react the same every single time you hit them, regardless of where or how?

Oh yeah, you must have meant those physics... such immersion...

PhatSaqs

Banned
xBigDanx said:
What physics???

You mean the physics that turn your body into a rigid corpse every time you jump? You mean the physics that make the creatures react the same every single time you hit them, regardless of where or how?

Probably the physics with throwing objects as well as the ragdoll of dead enemies. It's pretty impressive IMO.

Beowolf

Banned
Well, if this is true, I hope it is enhanced or at least better framerate and graphics, and not just some lame port.

Beowvlf

Banned
IJoel said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they did a multiplatform release of "TES 4: Oblivion Platinum Edition" or something like that and include all released marketplace content, more quests, and a new expansion pack, along with the release of a stand-alone expansion pack for both X360 and PS3.
This is exactly what I think will happen. November release for both 360 and PS3, with the 360 release maybe even being a week or two earlier.

belgurdo

Banned
Beowolf said:
Well, if this is true, I hope it is enhanced or at least better framerate and graphics, and not just some lame port.

The power of the PS3 will allow us to give you FOUR horse armors instead of two, son! Doesn't that sound grand?

xBigDanx said:
What physics???

If you have an IGN Insider's account, watch this.

Speevy

Banned
I'm sure the port is enhanced in every way but the graphics. Maybe you guys get anisotropic filtering outside.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Shogmaster said:
PSP?!? What the hell, is it gonna be a side scrolling RPG? :lol
The worst they could strive for is to make something that looks like Untold Legends, no?

I'd expect the PSP version to be more akin to the Daxter/Jak & Daxter situation. Kind of a PSP sidestory taking place in the same universe. There's no way in hell Bethesda would bother "porting" the game, as is, to the PSP.
That's what I'm thinking too. And actually with something like Daxter engine it would work nice too.

I honestly don't see the point of an Oblivion port on PSP - just when we have Loco Roco coming along to show us rather unique gameplay experiences one can have on PSP we'd want to play what is perhaps the quintissential "sit in your living room for hours and play" game on the PSP?
There's a LOT of people who want RPGs on handhelds. It's not that difficult to understand actually, as those games can be played at slow pace, in small chunks.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Please be true. If there is no announcement about this between now and the end of E3 there is no point believing it. If this news is true, then I can save paying $399 just to play this game

Speevy

Banned
psycho_snake said:
Please be true. If there is no announcement about this between now and the end of E3 there is no point believing it. If this news is true, then I can save paying $399 just to play this game

It's obviously true. I'm a little puzzled about how they're getting it out so fast though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Question: what's the likelihood of Bethesda putting a specific date on a game like this if they did not have word from Sony on PS3's launch?

Speevy said:
It's obviously true. I'm a little puzzled about how they're getting it out so fast though.

They were probably already working on it before the first versions were launched, I'd guess.

snatches

I can't wait to play Oblivion in 4D.... just imagine how hawt that will look.

gofreak: Why does everyone forget that Kutaragi said it would be out by November 10th???

Speevy

Banned
gofreak said:
Question: what's the likelihood of Bethesda putting a specific date on a game like this if they did not have word from Sony on PS3's launch?

Everyone put a generic date on 360 titles too, and it wasn't November 22.

C4Lukins

xBigDanx said:
What physics???

The actual physics of your avatar are not all that impressive, it is how you interact with the environment. Running through a pile of a couple of hundred items you dropped on the floor for instance, and how they react. Killing a monster at the top of a cliff and watching it roll down to the bottom in a pretty realistic manner. Being able to manipulate and move objects in the gameworld. The physics in the game are pretty insane, and if you have played it and do not realize that, then there is something a little wrong.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Rather than just doing the conventional "sidestory" angle, during my playtime with Oblivion I've begun to think it'd be cool to be able to use the PSP while on the commute to work to handle some of the "busy work" in Oblivion - make potions, spells, buy/sell items, enchant items, talk to NPCs and queue up quests, etc. Sort of an abridged Oblivion without the exploration or combat (or maybe just arena combat?) that allows you to strictly fast travel to known, non-dungeon locations. The console game would continue to be everything it is now, but then you could put more emphasis on quests and general exploration during your playtime with the console version.

It wouldn't be much of a game per se, rather a game aid.

Speevy

Banned
Is this what you've been doing Vark and Stevemeister? If so, you should have PAID THE FINE!

*whatever that means*

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
They gave a date of November 6th, so we can expect to see this around May 2007?

I kid, I kid ..... not really.

anyway, this is bad news for MS. Oblivion was turning out to be the first high-profile third party game (probably bigger than GRAW) for the xbox 360, and it's already jumping ship. I hope the playstation crowd embraces the game though, it's already one of my favorite games of all time.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
IMO, getting GTA running on the PSP is whole lot simpler than having something like Oblivion on it.

I agree completely. Just saying though that GTA got a similar reaction when it was announced and the product blew everyone away. Oblivion, in a scaled down version, on the PSP could be similar.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
snatches said:
I can't wait to play Oblivion in 4D.... just imagine how hawt that will look.

gofreak: Why does everyone forget that Kutaragi said it would be out by November 10th???

I thought that was a misunderstanding, but maybe not. Also, I doubt it'll be out by then in all 3 territories - I figured that probably referred to Japan, with the US and Europe at other points in Nov or even Dec. I doubt it'll hit on the exact same day everywhere.

Interesting. I'd still rather have Oblivion on my PC whenever I get around to upgrading... I'm sure the PC version will still look the best (potentially), plus the mods that will be available for PC, but not consoles....
Needless to say this is one more reason not to get a 360. I had all 3 systems "last gen."
I enjoyed them all, but realistically, there was nothing on the Xbox that I really wanted, that I couldn't have gotten on the PS2, GC, or my PC.... looks like the 360 may repeat that trend.

Oblivion GBA FTW! ;)

Speevy

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
Wait for the superior PS3 vers--

Wait, a PSP one!? My interest is piqued

The game doesn't even run on most PCs. If they develop a superior PS3 version, I think the PC gaming community will just throw in the towel.

Top Bottom