• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian dev Eric posts kinda-sorta-not-really transphobic meme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briarios

The two items together makes it seem as though he is making light of the issues minorities deal with daily. In many ways, that is far more insidious than Nazis walking in the streets, because it is disguised. When people are being murdered for being gay or transgendered, jokes on a company account don't seem wise.

I don't mean to suggest intentional malevolence, but casual ignorance can be as painful and damaging.

hemtae

Among the other problems with this thread, that's Eric Neigher not Fenstermaker.

Fenstermaker isn't an Obsidian employee anymore but is doing freelance work for them on PoE2.

The two items together makes it seem as though he is making light of the issues minorities deal with daily. In many ways, that is far more insidious than Nazis walking in the streets, because it is disguised. When people are being murdered for being gay or transgendered, jokes on a company account don't seem wise.

I don't mean to suggest intentional malevolence, but casual ignorance can be as painful and damaging.

Casual ignorance isn't as painful or damaging as literally being murdered.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Seems harmless and the apology seems genuine, putting him on blast is unnecessary. The pinned tweet also isn't malicious and is just word play from someone who is a professional writer.

Kyougar

A shame that people have to harass other people for every little thing. You need a dictionary for every meme and the (hidden) meaning behind it and which people find it racist or sexual harassment.

I...I got not nothin.'

Good job.

SexyFish

Banned
It's a treat trying to downplay how seriously people should take homophobia and racism what do you think?
It’s a fucking joke on the word intolerance in lactose intolerance.

Jesus. I highly doubt he’s actually trying to tell people to downplay there thoughts on homophobia and racism.

EdgeXL

Man, we live in a "Gotcha!" society.

He made a dumb comment without being aware of the context and sure, he deserves to be criticized for that. However, jumping on his case with "transphobic memes" and calling out where he works is a bit much.

I am inclined to give this guy the benefit of the doubt in this particular case.

Glass Rebel

Ignorant dude uses transphobic rhetoric that makes light of discriminated groups‘ struggles, gets called out and apologizes. If it‘s genuine he‘ll learn, if it‘s not he‘ll slip up again.

There are genuinely manly people who want this guy fired over this...

How manly are they? Die Hard manly or Rambo manly?

Why does Eric hate me?
Thread redeemed

tenor.gif

joms5

Nope.

It's just someone being overly sensitive or more likely trying to find outrage where there is none (more likely).

Among the other problems with this thread, that's Eric Neigher not Fenstermaker.

Fenstermaker isn't an Obsidian employee anymore but is doing freelance work for them on PoE2.

Don't overlook this gaf. Playing detective and getting it wrong is how you get people harassed for months for no reason.

Hektor

Thatreddit post is indeed pretty bad, but unless there's evidence of a pattern i'll give his apology the benefit of a doubt, cos his tweet sure isn't it

It's a fucking joke on the word intolerance in lactose intolerance.

Jesus.

+++

Literally looking for something to be mad about

lmao

You have issues with comprehension, huh? That is specifically referring to intentional malevolence on his part regarding the posts -- different paragraph and sentence.

I'm just reading what you wrote, son, and it was some baller ass ignorance.

The two items together makes it seem as though he is making light of the issues minorities deal with daily. In many ways, that is far more insidious than Nazis walking in the streets

Stupid jokes are nothing like Nazi's goosestepping in the streets. If you think those two situations belong in the same discussion, then you need to get a life.

kinggroin

Banned
I mean, it's corny as hell. His pinned tweet is even worse.

But you gotta pick your battles with these or you risk losing soldiers for nothing. Hope that makes sense.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It’s a fucking joke on the word intolerance in lactose intolerance.

Jesus.
Context matters. Of all the contexts one could use that in, why joke about how people speak out against homophobia and racism specifically?
SbOhaBl.png

Is it really transphobic specifically? I thought it was a play on all non-binary persons / the tumblr culture thing?

Either way, the person apologised after pleading ignorance of the origins.

DarkKyo

I get the need to be outraged but there are way too many real monsters online to spend your time crusading against this guy's shitty joke imo. It's still distasteful but I dunno, it sounds like he was joking from ignorance and not malice.

DataGhost

That title change. This joke is a bit insensitive if you don't know the origins, but I don't believe they were trying to make fun of or hurt anyone.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How can you be ignorant to the memes origins? It's hardly complicated. Fuckwit.

I never heard of it until this thread. There are several popular memes whose origin or original intent I’m not sure of. I sometimes have to look up even acronyms on urban dictionary (I had to look up “ftfy” this year. I mean I probably wouldn’t use one if I didn’t understand it, but it’s not ludicrous or outlandish in a general sense.

I’m not talking about this specific instance but rather that general concept of obliviousness in a cascade of new memes. Since Pepe, I basically assume everything is potentially malintent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom