• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian's Feargus Urquhart on insane publisher Kickstarter requests

mclem

Isn't it rather obvious that if a publisher can remove the financial risk of building a game that they will jump on that like a crazy monkey?

It's just a matter of time.

They've still gotta earn that funding with a compelling pitch. It's not free money.

Edit: To clarify - I have no problem with anyone *asking* for money. That doesn't mean I will give them any.

hiryu64

I can also see a "participation" project where people are paying some money to be part of the development cycle. Coming up with quests, or doing QA for instance.

qmlIy.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Whoever put forth that deal had some serious balls. How could the publisher possibly think that would have worked? I don't think any of the games on Kickstarter are ones that would be that desperate for box distribution.

Honestly, I laughed and read the OP so many times that I just kept forgetting to post. I think this might be the funniest thing I've read in the past 4 months within the game industry

plufim

Publishers have one financial responsibility - to put up money for game development.

And they've worked a way out of doing it. Genius!

Omikaru

At least publishers understand that they can't go hijacking the crowdfunding movement upfront, but I'm sad they're trying to be duplicitous about it.

However, if I find out any Kickstarter, whether it's one I backed or not, is doing this then I will avoid the developer and the publisher involved for a very long time. This really isn't an acceptable thing to do, and I'm glad Obsidian has come out and said this is what publishers are trying. The only thing I wish is that we had the names of the publishers responsible.

This is why we can't have nice things forever, and is one reason why I'm a bit leery of the entire Kickstarter initiative. There will be future attempts by certain entities (e.g. publishers) to "abuse" KS and eventually some of them will sadly succeed. I can definitely see future instances where a financially healthy large publisher will attempt to leverage KS for part of (or all of) a game - risky or no...when they easily have the money to support the game themselves and are just using us to save costs and improve their bottom line.

Kudos to Obsidian for recognizing the bullshit and turning down these pubs.

hym

Banned
This is making me wary for the next time a kickstarter by a renowned Studio appears, this shit didn't fly with Obsidian but publishers will keep on sweetening that deal until one of the independents accepts. For all we know it already happened and we find out when the game is near release.

If it does happen one day I hope there will be a massive community backlash against all involved parties, it's nothing less than a scam.

patapuf

This is making me wary for the next time a kickstarter by a renowned Studio appears, this shit didn't fly with Obsidian but publishers will keep on sweetening that deal until one of the independents accepts. For all we know it already happened and we find out when the game is near release.

If it does happen one day I hope there will be a massive community backlash against all involved parties, it's nothing less than a scam.

A lot of sweetening needs to happen for an independent to accept though. I mean, what does the publisher provide to a dev that kickstarter+DD platforms don't?

hym

Banned
A lot of sweetening needs to happen for an independent to accept though. I mean, what does the publisher provide to a dev that kickstarter+DD platforms don't?

Getting onto XBLA still isn't straightforward, if I understand correctly a developer can't self-publish there so if you don't want to involve another publisher you need to rely on Microsoft to be your publisher which has its price too if they are interested at all.

Aside from that, I can't think of many direct benefits they can offer I, there is marketing, music licensing, cross franchise promotions (like Kingdoms of Amalur and ME) but that's not too convincing. Indirectly I see plenty of opportunities for publishers, they can promise funding for a sequel if the KS project reaches certain goals, assuming there is a pre-existing relation between the studio and publisher they could improve the support for an ongoing unrelated project up to giving them more development time if that's what the developer wants. Going further would get into the territory of blackmail though.

Corto

Publishers are salivating elbowing each other to enter this crowd funding space. Inevitable. But at least they're smart enough to know that going full on will explode in their faces. I hope that further future subreptitious attempts are barred right from the start, or at least met with such a disinterest that they quickly get out.

MMaRsu

Banned
Fuck this industry..especially most publishers.. fucking money hungry wolves who don't give a shit about the people making the products or the people buying them.

Time to cut publishers out of the entire business model.

If a company who's financially well off say Nintendo/Capcom/Square Enix/etc made a Kickstarter that said

"Help fund a localization/release in a long absent franchise" I'd support even if it felt dirty.

Midou

Welp, this can't bode well. It's only a matter of time before a gullible fool takes the bait and lines a publisher's pocket with Kickstarter money. Then it'll be ruined for everybody.

Yep. Once it happens and a kickstartered game is released with a publisher, there will probably be a lot less faith in kickstarter projects and some people could get screwed over in funding.

patapuf

Marketing, localization and possibly QA.

True, but considering they would have to give up the rights to the IP and a big part of the profits i think that's kind of a bad deal. The Marketing campaign for a game with a 2 million budget isn't going to be that big.

Shows how badly videogame industry is in need of skilled managers, not amateurs. No, this type of behavior is not acceptable in management. However, if you are simply a dick and bad at your job you will act like that.

At least publishers understand that they can't go hijacking the crowdfunding movement upfront, but I'm sad they're trying to be duplicitous about it.

However, if I find out any Kickstarter, whether it's one I backed or not, is doing this then I will avoid the developer and the publisher involved for a very long time. This really isn't an acceptable thing to do, and I'm glad Obsidian has come out and said this is what publishers are trying. The only thing I wish is that we had the names of the publishers responsible.

it will be outside of the kickstarter promise at first, because once the kickstarter project is finished and the people who fund it get their game, they are free to do with the game as they see fit.

like maybe the kickstarter only promise a steam/pc version. once the game is out and everyone is happy, that's when they announce any partnership with a publisher to bring the game to more people, to xbla/psn. we know that you need a publishers to put games on xbla, so they'll have to talk to publishers at some point if they want to expand beyond steam pc.

the only thing ballsy about the publishers in op story is that the publishers want ownership of the ip as well. which is stupid and no surprise Obsidian refused. if they promise different thing like marketing campaign, or help producing the promised rewards like poster, soundtrack, steel case etc, some developer may actually agree with it because a small developer may like be able to focus on the actual game development and leave the merchandising etc to other who are more experienced in dealing with that stuff, which is some of the things a publishers do.

or, I can almost see publishers using kickstarter to gauge a potential sales of an uncertain games/genre, like maybe after seeing a particularly successful kickstarter in progress, a publishers step in and actually fully publish the title, kickstarter is canceled and the game move to traditional channel.

epmode

I'm amused at the guys who show up in every Kickstarter thread implying that the entire model is a house of cards that will fall apart when something bad happens with a single game.

Yep. Once it happens and a kickstartered game is released with a publisher, there will probably be a lot less faith in kickstarter projects and some people could get screwed over in funding.

I'm pretty sure this has already happened. Sort of. One of those realistic FPS projects was actually for a prototype which would then be shopped around to publishers for conversion into a real game. I can't remember the name of the project but the developers were reasonably forthright about their plan.

I'm surprised no ones pointed a finger at THQ. I think they out of anyone are probably desperate enough. And aren't they working with Obsidian on South Park?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'm surprised no ones pointed a finger at THQ. I think they out of anyone are probably desperate enough. And aren't they working with Obsidian on South Park?
From what Feargus said it was multiple publishers so maybe it was all of them? It wouldnt surprise me if all the large pubs tried this. The worst that could happen in their eyes is Obsidian says no. If they said yes then its easy money.

but jason rubin is one of the good guys right? he had panel about why he think upper management is not good on the developer and how the publisher model are oppressing the developer so they are forced to depend on them, limiting their creative vision etc. probably one of the reason he left ND and Sony in the first place.

:p

Perkel

Banned

Because it could be anyone. Zenimax, Zynga, EA, Activision etc. droping names you think isn't any construtive post.

They won't say who because they don't want to burn bridges.

dionysus

Yaldog
If the devs want an actual retail presence with boxed copies they will almost surely have to get a publisher involved at some point. Hopefully it is more along the lines of how EA does Valve games. (Though I don't see much upside for a brick & mortar release for these games, the audience is already fully on board with digital releases especially in the US.)

It also seems likely that one of the major Kickstarter projects will run out of funding before the game is done. Are people going to be upset when the dev gives up some of the profits, rights, or what not to a publisher in return for the funding to finish the game?

Lancehead

If the devs want an actual retail presence with boxed copies they will almost surely have to get a publisher involved at some point. Hopefully it is more along the lines of how EA does Valve games. (Though I don't see much upside for a brick & mortar release for these games, the audience is already fully on board with digital releases especially in the US.)

It also seems likely that one of the major Kickstarter projects will run out of funding before the game is done. Are people going to be upset when the dev gives up some of the profits, rights, or what not to a publisher in return for the funding to finish the game?

I would wish there were another way to help fund to finish the project. If not, a publisher would be okay but not at the cost of giving up IP rights. I'd rather the project get cancelled than see a developer lose IP rights. Especially in case of Obsidian.

Perkel

Banned

Well i don't oppose at all when publisher is doing publishing. I oppose only publisher being DEV and funding games.

In case of PE it will be probably like Witcher. They will be only releasing it boxed but they won't have any right to IP.

I'm more curious about the scale of some the kickstarter project imo, the Obsidian rpg kickstarter is only have $1mil target at first. how big of an rpg could that get? rpg are usually expensive to make, and we hear even typical AAA game have around $20mil budget and more.

sure they're not going to pursue AAA production value, but an rpg still require bigger than usual art asset for environment, enemy, music, not mention tons of pages of script. and playtesting to make all the abilities and skill is balanced and didn't broke the game.

I'm just curious if that amount of money is enough

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'm more curious about the scale of some the kickstarter project imo, the Obsidian rpg kickstarter is only have $1mil target at first. how big of an rpg could that get? rpg are usually expensive to make, and we hear even typical AAA game have around $20mil budget and more.

sure they're not going to pursue AAA production value, but an rpg still require bigger than usual art asset for environment, enemy, music, not mention tons of pages of script. and playtesting to make all the abilities and skill is balanced and didn't broke the game.
Feargus has said for some time that for them to do an IE style game they would need at least a million dollars.

dionysus

Yaldog
I would wish there were another way to help fund to finish the project. If not, a publisher would be okay but not at the cost of giving up IP rights. I'd rather the project get cancelled than see a developer lose IP rights. Especially in case of Obsidian.

Unless they had really wasted the cash or bit off way more than they could chew, I wouldn't think it would be likely the developer would have to give up IP rights. I could easily see a deal though that the publisher has the right of first refusal on sequels or something similar.

I'm giving this its own thread because goddamn. Feargus Urquhart (CEO of Obsidian Entertainment) made a comment on their Kickstarter page, noting prior conversations with publishers in regards to a Kickstarter project. Here:

"See, if we don't use lube when we fuck them, we'll save more money!"

Fucking video game industry.
Yep, these are our publishers.

Mr_eX

I'm giving this its own thread because goddamn. Feargus Urquhart (CEO of Obsidian Entertainment) made a comment on their Kickstarter page, noting prior conversations with publishers in regards to a Kickstarter project. Here:

"See, if we don't use lube when we fuck them, we'll save more money!"

Fucking video game industry.

pzPOD.gif

Terra_Ex

This doesn't surprise me in the least. The more devs that can stay independent through initiatives like kickstarter the better.

Shinta

Banned
Isn't it rather obvious that if a publisher can remove the financial risk of building a game that they will jump on that like a crazy monkey?

It's just a matter of time.

I'm not even fully sure why this would suddenly be an immoral thing. It's basically just an extreme pre-order.

If Capcom asked for the funding for Mega Man Legends 3 up front, would people hate them for it? It might not be that bad of an idea honestly.

Top Bottom