• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian's Josh Sawyer covers 'I will always love you' as promised for 12 players beating 'The Ultimate' challenge in Pillars of eternity II

'The Ultimate' challenge release(skip to 3:30 for the challenge:

A description of the challenge:

To beat 'The Ultimate' challenge, a player has to finish the game under all of the following conditions:

- One savegame that is instantly deleted upon death
- Complete the game on the hardest difficulty
- Complete the game with a solo character (the game is normally played with 3 or 4 companions)
- Complete certain important quests(critical path) before a specific amount of in-game days pass
- Complete the game without pausing once (*actually, the game cannot be paused once this challenge is activated)
- Beasts gain random powerful effects
- Being knocked out in combat for 10 seconds is an immediate death
- Harsh equipment degradation is activated
- A fog of war is active at all times, getting smaller at night
- There are more storms when sailing the open seas, and they are significantly more dangerous to your ship and crew
- Food items spoil after some time
- A certain companion will follow after the player and must be kept alive throughout the game (the companion cannot be controlled)
- Per-encounter resources become per-rest instead, party health doesn't regenerate between combat, and only prepared meals will heal the party while camping
- Almost all normally displayed stats are hidden (enemy health, damage, etc)

The promise fulfilled:

It's cool to see devs have some grounded fun with their community.

edit:*

Last edited:

Tschumi

^^^ my creds for loving this game

Fucking awesome. Gotta try this.

... decent singing effort by a non-singer there!

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I love that game but the challenge looks downright impossible (not pausing once and no regen outside combat is just evil).

I hope they make PoE 3 some day, the lore of this universe is just so fresh compared to classic CRPGs.

GrayFoxPL

Paralympic Games Sport GIF by International Paralympic Committee

Chukhopops

Avowed, bro. Avowed.
I’m looking forward to it but it will be 3D so not the same experience.

PoE 2 has some of the most amazing 2D art ever made between the backgrounds and the art used for storytelling parts, a masterpiece imo.

Avowed is gonna blow minds if it manages to expand on the lore and give life to it.

JLB

Banned
Jesus fucking christ, how's possible to finish PoE under all those conditions? Are we sure those guys are humans?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Very good, Josh and the twelve.

I will eventually get round to playing the first one day, then the second, but even without having played that challenge really is ultimate.

Tschumi

The harder challenge was actually finishing this trash game. The first game was great, but the second was absolute shit, at least on rls date.
maybe u played it on console... imo it isn't a game one should play on console...

it's one of my favourite games :D suck onnnn dat

I cannot believe people are calling the mythology of Pillars "fresh" amongst other things. It is some of the most boring and derivative narcolepsy inducing rubbish to grace video games.

Lanrutcon

So of the 12 that managed to do it, only 3 didn't use an exploit that gives you unlimited invulnerability and buffs.

And of those 3, only 1 used a unique build that wasn't widely broadcast as broken.

I wonder how he/she did it. The runs are probably available to watch.

Y0ssarian

Banned
maybe u played it on console... imo it isn't a game one should play on console...

it's one of my favourite games :D
I concede that it would be better with a keyboard/mouse setup but the game's not bad at all on Xbox. I recently started the first one and I like it a lot so far, probably game of the year for me. I heard that part 2 is buggy, but hopefully they fixed it. I also heard part 2 is better than 1 though so I'm looking forward to it.

Tschumi

I concede that it would be better with a keyboard/mouse setup but the game's not bad at all on Xbox. I recently started the first one and I like it a lot so far, probably game of the year for me. I heard that part 2 is buggy, but hopefully they fixed it. I also heard part 2 is better than 1 though so I'm looking forward to it.
it's not, any bugs have long since been fixed and they even implemented an optional turn-based playthough if you want it...

follow my link in the first reply to this thread for my take on deadfire :D

eh, put it here why not, feel free to bump the thread if you want :p

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
it's not, any bugs have long since been fixed and they even implemented an optional turn-based playthough if you want it...

follow my link in the first reply to this thread for my take on deadfire :D

eh, put it here why not, feel free to bump the thread if you want :p

Thank you for letting me know part 2 has been fixed, and for the read, you're obviously very passionate about the game(s).

It was very impressive those players managed to complete the ultimate challenge. I don't have much to contribute really, I'm at the start of Act II in PoE1, but here's a bump

Last edited:
Top Bottom