• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

I was hoping that by checking out the last page in this thread I'd be relieved to find out this was a fake news story.

Very sad to see I was wrong, very disappointed by Luckey.

I have to believe there's some cognitive dissonance at work, however, maybe he just *really* dislikes Clinton, so he chooses to ignore the obviously horrible aspects of Trump.

I have a feeling this is true for a lot of his supporters. Of course that's no excuse ...

He's always been a spare wheel loose cannon since the buyout. I put a lot of his cocky attitude early on just down to being young and not knowing how to be a bit more professional, I thought Oculus should've axed him a long time ago as his role was done but Oculus supporters defended him to the hilt and he was probably kept on because he was the founder and it would look good to keep the guy and not push him out. I'm sure he's already been axed now.

Ok first and foremost Palmer did not fund and was not in anyway involved with the_donald.
Secondly this dude Palmer, along with two mods, tried to scam the_donald into donating money.
Third, everyone in the community called out the shit for what it was and got those mods BANNED within 12 hours of that so called "AMA"
also The_donald is not a white supremacist group holy shit these articles are full of enough shit to fill a stadium.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I'm very familiar with the alt-right. I don't think "white supremacy" is the right word.

Rejection of progressive equality movements, yes. Denial of the effects of colonialism, slavery and segregation on minorities' societal wellbeing, yes.

Keeping the white race pure and not wanting other ethnicities to mingle with whites, no.

I'll say one thing - hopefully in 30 or 40 years, VR, and then AR will meet their promise and truly change the world, and then we will look back on the birth of the industry and realize that, much like the apple vs microsoft, atari vs commodore era of early computers, the early days of VR/AR were riveting with drama.

Check out Vive + Rec Room. VR does not need 30 years to meet its promise, and this Palmer Luckey drama doesn't change anything about VR.

Ok first and foremost Palmer did not fund and was not in anyway involved with the_donald.
Secondly this dude Palmer, along with two mods, tried to scam the_donald into donating money.
Third, everyone in the community called out the shit for what it was and got those mods BANNED within 12 hours of that so called "AMA"
also The_donald is not a white supremacist group holy shit these articles are full of enough shit to fill a stadium.

What is happening.

RedAssedApe

Banned

sounds like something the_donald would say

Armaros

Krejlooc

Banned
Check out Vive + Rec Room. VR does not need 30 years to meet its promise, and this Palmer Luckey drama doesn't change anything about VR.

VR is not even close to it's promise yet. VR, and eventually AR, will reach their potential when they are ubiquitous technologies, like smart phones today. There are some real neat VR programs already, yeah, but none of them approach the promise of what these technologies can do when they reach a large audience.

That will play out over decades.

https://twitter.com/nikkimoxxi

A real class act

wu7U1xF.png

What a fucking clown show. Here I used to think this guy was just an awkward enthusiast techie who hit it big and stayed humble but wtf. I hope there are consequences.

This is OT, probably sexist and you can call me a pessimist but I doubt they would be going out if he wasn't loaded.

Toxi

Banned
A questionnaire to become a moderator at r/The_Donald posted in March had applicants answer the questions “Is there a difference between white nationalism and white supremacy?” and “Was 9/11 an inside job?”

Bookoo

I am interested to see what happens about this in the future.

Reading the Reddit post AMA almost seems like a joke. Talking about how for every donation he will do something like sip scotch or flying his jet. However after seeing the tweets and stuff it seems like it isn't

Really sucks for the Oculus brand. This is the last thing they needed especially with Connect 3 coming up in a few weeks.

SZips

The white supremacy claim seems a bit dubious, even somewhat libelous. I think part of GAF wants to label any conservative leaning as white supremacy because it implicitly perpetuates a status quo of whites being in power, but that seems way too short sighted for me. You're not a white supremacist unless you openly state it. I'm a progressive as a disclaimer.

I mean...

Along with Luckey, Nimble America was founded by two moderators of Reddit’s r/The_Donald, which helped popularize Trump-themed white supremacist and anti-Semitic memes along with 4Chan and 8Chan.

Taken directly from the article.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
They're not racist, they just love to talk shit about Muslims, black people, Mexicans, and other minorities.

i cant

Donos

the reddit thing alone could be anything/trolling/parody but when you add the article and other things from his twitter and his gf Twitter, it paints a clear picture...

themandu

I am interested to see what happens about this in the future.

Reading the Reddit post AMA almost seems like a joke. Talking about how for every donation he will do something like sip scotch or flying his jet. However after seeing the tweets and stuff it seems like it isn't

Really sucks for the Oculus brand. This is the last thing they needed especially with Connect 3 coming up in a few weeks.

When you're a "self-made" billionaire before 21, your perspective becomes skewed.

BocoDragon

I dunno, it seems caricaturizing to me.

Let me put it this way: the alt-right would and have championed minorities who agree with their views. They'd love a black gay pundit who railed against progressives.

Their central project is denying progressive liberalism, not promoting white ethnocentric identity to the exclusion of others.

If the view is that they contribute to racism by denying progressive solutions.... sure, I can agree. I just don't think we need to put a Hitler mask on the likes of Milo Yiannopolis to call him a piece of shit. The alt-right is bad enough on its own merits, so we don't need to sell it to others by calling them KKK grand dragons.

Why are you so certain someone like Palmer Luckey couldn't possibly harbor these feelings on his own? Or that he'd stick with someone intolerable, precisely when his own posts under his pseudonym reveals he's got a high opinion of himself?

Oh I'm sure he harbors those feelings. Socially, he probably has a very poor...ability of it. He's smart, sure, but socially? He's king behind his psuedonyms and his aliases. Now he's trying to delete his profile on Reddit, that to me doesn't speak of a person who's sure with himself. He's stepped into shit, and he's trying to step it back.

I'd love for him to be forward about this. Scrubbing a bit of his Twitter, he's sure hidden his support for Trump. Innocuously, he follows both Hillary and Trump. It's obvious he's tried to hide his support, except behind his aliases.

To me, it speaks of someone who is strong behind anonymity.

Reading the story, that's what it was. Luckey tried to use people to hide himself behind-whether it was Milo, or other people behind 'Nimble America'. Even now, the Reddit is being cleansed of posts referencing to the user 'NimbleAmerica'.

Palmer fucked up big time. His identity got out, when he didn't want it to get out. He's trying to scrub.

That to me, speaks of a man with no balls. Someone who's afraid that people know exactly what he is. And he's running. He's hiding.

Facebook HAS to speak up about this. If they don't, then it's a case of mea culpa for them, and seeing how they've had a liberal slant...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Are you fucking kidding me?

Krejlooc

Banned
Their central project is denying progressive liberalism, not promoting white ethnocentric identity to the exclusion of others.

We're talking about The_Donald and the Alt-right here, right? The place that has a posting icon you can choose for posts that reads #NEVERISLAM and the people who support a Muslim ban on the country? The "All lives matter" and "blue lives matter" constituents? The "Build a wall, keep mexicans out" group??

mXyupD1.gif

Not buying Oculus products unless they own all the water of the world and I would otherwise die of thirst.

And even then....

Armaros

Let me put it this way: the alt-right would and have championed minorities who agree with their views. They'd love a black gay pundit who railed against progressives.

If the view is that they contribute to racism by denying progressive solutions.... sure, I can agree. I just don't think we need to put a Hitler mask on the likes of Milo Yiannopolis to call him a piece of shit. The alt-right is bad enough on its own merits, so we don't need to sell it to others by calling them KKK grand dragons.

You have a narrow view of what constitutes it then. White supremecy is not just confined to the KKK and you thinking that is what leads to people rationalizing supporting people like Trump.

WetWaffle

Good thing I never had the money to buy a rift anyway. It's a damn shame how some people we admire in this industry can end up being completely different behind closed doors.

spekkeh

Banned
I mean...

Taken directly from the article.
Well I've been moderator of some shitshows, that's why you have moderators. But even if the moderators themselves are white supremacists, that doesn't mean that that is the unifying factor of why they formed a group. This is guilt by association by guilt by association by guilt by association. This is why it seems reaching to me.

Armaros

Well I've been moderator of some shitshows, that's why you have moderators. But even if the moderators themselves are white supremacists, that doesn't mean that that is the unifying factor of why they formed a group. This is guilt by association by guilt by association. This is why it seems reaching to me.

All admitted directly by Palmer to the daily beast. So unless they printed libel...

superbeau

Neo Member

I'm willing to entertain every sentence except that last one. No one can look at sub that think that.

Toxi

Banned

The KKK also champion minorities who agree with their racist views. It's not because they genuinely respect said minorities.

Kusagari

It's very hard for me to classify the chan trolls led around by Milo because at the end of the day they're posting anti-Semitic memes with anime references while following a gay Jew.

However, there is another segment of the alt-right, which doesn't get as much press, that is unabashedly neo-nazi and hates that Milo has become the face of the movement. See the Daily Stormer for reference.

Krejlooc

Banned
Well I've been moderator of some shitshows, that's why you have moderators. But even if the moderators themselves are white supremacists, that doesn't mean that that is the unifying factor of why they formed a group. This is guilt by association by guilt by association by guilt by association. This is why it seems reaching to me.

It doesn't matter why a bunch of racists come together, disputing that they can be classified as a group of racists because their group isn't gathering under a racist banner is missing the forest from the trees. I'd have no problem calling a book club made up of KKK members a racist organization.

red731

Not buying Oculus products unless they own all the water of the world and I would otherwise die of thirst.

Yeah. Fuck this, him and her. Unbelievable.

Can't wait for Mark to distance FB from him, keeping OR in process and giving them a finger. Shame that won't happen because contracts probably.

BocoDragon

You have a narrow view of what constitutes it then. White supremecy is not just confined to the KKK and you thinking that is what leads to people rationalizing supporting people like Trump.

You seem to be in the business of caricatures.. but I'm not mad :p

I hate the alt-right, but I want accuracy. Know thy enemy. If you think the central project of the alt-right is white pride, you will have misdiagnosed the malady, and your solutions to it will be counter-productive.

People on the sidelines won't trust your misdiagnosis when they encounter alt-right material and find it to be devoid of white pride content. And you will lead people to misunderstand the central appeal, which is more about giving the finger to pedantic progressives than in maintaining ethnic supremacy.

It's very hard for me to classify the chan trolls led around by Milo because at the end of the day they're posting anti-Semitic memes with anime references while following a gay Jew.

However, there is another segment of the alt-right, which doesn't get as much press, that is unabashedly neo-nazi and hates that Milo has become the face of the movement. See the Daily Stormer for reference.

Now that is interesting.

Nanashrew

Banned
Palmet directly admitted to being a white supremacist? Oh okay carry on.

He's also GamerGater and is good buddies with Milo and follows a lawyer who's rape apologist on Twitter, and much of his likes on Twitter are related to the alt-right.

I mean, alt-right is pretty much just the politically correct term of bigot. Just more digestible for mainstream media and the average person.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Has there ever been an era where racists didn't champion the minorities that agree with their views?

Supremacy doesn't really equal hatred at the sight of a skin color. The hatred only comes from the rejection of that supremacist structure.

Top Bottom