• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

Fisty

Would he get a golden parachute? I imagine there most be some kind of morality clause Facebook can pull, assuming they got the evidence and more to back up the claims against Luckey.

I doubt FB even cares about any of that right now. They just want this whole thing to disappear, so they are probably just asking for his resignation and trying to sweep this whole debacle under the rug. They likely dont even care enough to fight against a payout. Unless Zuck decides to make an example, which I'm not sure would be wise considering he kinda brought Palmer on board in the first place

Neiteio

07be1e1c30.png
Incredible. Apparently being given a $1 million loan from his dad ($1,000,000 USD) is starting with "just about nothing." The Trumps sure can relate to the everyman.

Fisty

Incredible. Apparently being given a $1 million loan from his dad ($1,000,000 USD) is starting with "just about nothing." The Trumps sure can relate to the everyman.

It was a small loan, don't let Killary fool you with liberal propaganda like 1M dollars being a lot of money

Fisty

Let's see them put their money where their mouth is.

Eh the contracts have probably long been signed, theres likely next to nothing they could do to wiggle out of them. My heart goes out to the devs who just learned one of their major benefactors is part of our country's problem

Ducarmel

I doubt FB even cares about any of that right now. They just want this whole thing to disappear, so they are probably just asking for his resignation and trying to sweep this whole debacle under the rug. They likely dont even care enough to fight against a payout. Unless Zuck decides to make an example, which I'm not sure would be wise considering he kinda brought Palmer on board in the first place

Your probably right.

But I would love for Zuck to come out hard and rustle some alt right jimmies. Even if it means he take a little hit in return.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Have there been any official responses or statements yet?

Also, wasn't Microsoft rumored to be forming a partnership with Oculus for Scorpio's VR? I wonder what that team at Xbox is thinking right now. I imagine, assuming Luckey distances himself (or Facebook distances Luckey) in some way from the Oculus brand, none of this will matter much in a post-election world at E3 2017 and a deal can be announced with Oculus with little to no discussion beyond the tech differences of Oculus and Scorpio.

Dartastic

Have there been any official responses or statements yet?

Also, wasn't Microsoft rumored to be forming a partnership with Oculus for Scorpio's VR? I wonder what that team at Xbox is thinking right now. I imagine, assuming Luckey distances himself (or Facebook distances Luckey) in some way from the Oculus brand, none of this will matter much in a post-election world at E3 2017 and a deal can be announced with Oculus with little to no discussion beyond the tech differences of Oculus and Scorpio.
Noooope. Nothing official.

Krejlooc

Banned
I felt bad telling my dad about all this. He has been following vr as long as I have, he knows about palmer luckey and all that jazz. You could see the disappointment on his face as I told him this stuff.

Tagyhag

Eh the contracts have probably long been signed, theres likely next to nothing they could do to wiggle out of them. My heart goes out to the devs who just learned one of their major benefactors is part of our country's problem

Yeah you're probably right. Sounds like a shitty situation.

Nekofrog

Banned

I love how they actually animated the last second reaction of turning his upper body and flailing his arms out microseconds before the truck hits. Back then most devs probably would've just kept the straight running animation before he gets hit to cut corners.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Not to mention it was multiple loans, an inheritance and a successful going concern (racist) real estate and property business.

I still remember watching him speak about Oculus on GDC or D.I.C.E and being really happy for this guy that had basically accomplished his dream, a dream that was born in his parent's garage and now was going to be sold all over the world.

I feel duped.

Handy Fake

Not to mention it was multiple loans, an inheritance and a successful going concern (racist) real estate and property business.

Plus the lovely knowledge that if he'd left it in the bank, the interest he'd have accrued would equal what he's worth now, so in essence he's earned absolute dick. :p

BiggNife

Wait, this is the proof that Palmer's girlfriend is a nazi? So if you're not for completely open borders you're a racist now?

Personally, I'm not in favor of completely unchecked immigration either -- of the muslim variety or any other kind.

And I am not a racist.

1) the post I responded to was asking for proof that Nikki was racist, not that she was "a nazi." That tweet was racist. She was specifically calling out muslims.

2) If you have to clarify that you are not a racist then you almost definitely said something that could be construed as racist. Congratulations, you played yourself.

Fisty

I still remember watching him speak about Oculus on GDC or D.I.C.E and being really happy for this guy that had basically accomplished his dream, a dream that was born in his parent's garage and now was going to be sold all over the world.

I feel duped.

I feel hungry.

For creamed corn, anyway.

Facebook really needs to get in front of this. "Here you go Palmer, here's your golden chute" (like he apparently needs it) and boot him out the door. I'm sure he'll land a gig at another tech firm that doesn't care about public opinion so much, but this is going to dry up support for Oculus in a heartbeat if they don't distance themselves from him.

ezekial45

Banned
Well this is a fucking mess. Damn, Lucky seems like a total scumbag.

I have some friends who just started work at Oculus in SF, and I feel bad for having to deal with this guy.

Neiteio

Just a reminder of what Luckey stands for by supporting Trump.

Trump seeks to ban an entire religion, mock disabled people, mock POWs ("John McCain isn't a real hero! He was captured!"), bully women, scapegoat minorities, criticize Gold Star families, promote anti-Semitism, deride four-star generals, ask generals "well why can't we use nukes," abandon our allies, undo all environmental regulations, reinstate torture, execute the families of terror suspects, praise dictators, encourage Russia to hack our national security secrets, and talk about his dick at presidential debates.

Trump is the candidate who has a history of housing discrimination based on race (marking paperwork "C" for "colored"), who refuses to condemn the KKK who support him, and who doubles down on hiring known white supremacists. He has a litany of failed businesses, and a tendency to con people out of money (example: refusing to pay cabinet makers for services rendered) and then counter-sue them into oblivion when they press charges. He also buys 6-foot-tall portraits of himself with money meant for charity (twice!) while never contributing to his own foundation. His college is a scam. He withholds his tax returns, probably because he has ties to Russian oligarchs.

The guy is a pathological liar with a nonexistent attention span, for whom all human interactions are a zero-sum game of "You praise me, I praise you; you criticize me, I insult you." He could be baited into starting World War III with a motherfucking tweet. He believes that Mexico will pay for his horribly racist, costly, and completely ineffectual wall (they won't). He also thinks that starting with a $1,000,000 loan (or higher) from his dad is "starting from nothing."

This is who Luckey is supporting through the creation of horribly cruel, racist, and sexist memes.

Saw this combination of images on Twitter and got a kick out of it.

CtD34hvUEAA_8kr.jpg

CtD35XZUAAAnx1k.jpg

That Reddit post really shows what an ego this fucker has.

YOU CAN'T CLAIM YOU BROUGHT YOURSELF UP FROM NOTHING WHEN YOU HAVE A SUCCESSFUL KICKSTARTER ARGH

THAT IS LITERALLY ASKING FOR PEOPLE TO TRUST YOU THAT YOU'RE GOOD FOR IT

Top Bottom