• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus pricedrop - 399$

Steel

Banned
The Vive is supposed to be a little better than Occulous, is that true? Does the Occulous support player location?

The Oculus has 180 degree tracking out of the box, and for $70 more for another camera has 360 degree tracking. The Oculus controllers are a little better than the current vive controllers(imo).

They're mostly at the same level.

Zalusithix

The Oculus has 180 degree tracking out of the box, and for $70 more for another camera has 360 degree tracking. The Oculus controllers are a little better than the current vive controllers(imo).

You can get 360 degree coverage with the Rift out of the box using an opposing camera setup. It's not as occlusion resistant as a 3 camera setup, and isn't nearly as capable at roomscale, but should suffice for standing 360.

Josman

The Vive is supposed to be a little better than Occulous, is that true? Does the Occulous support player location?

Depends a lot on the needed space, I have a 2.5m x 2.5m play area and I do completly fine with 2 sensors by putting them in oposite corners, the only downside is that it's a pain setting them up and you need USB active extensions, but it works.

$400 is a great price, I only hope that by the time CV2 releases this will still be the standard.

Interested in VR, but only for movie viewing or experiences like that. Not interested in setting up a VR "station" in my house. I'd love to watch sporting events from the officials perspective.

For the foreseeable future, watching sports or other recorded/live content in VR isn't going to make you feel like you're really there, because there's no positional tracking.

Unknown?

It's not. PSVR needs a camera and the (ridiculously bad, if you compare them to Touch) Move controllers bought separately.

But you are right anyway. Mass market will still not buy it.
The camera is packed into the $399 bundle now or coming this holiday but does lack Move.

For the foreseeable future, watching sports or other recorded/live content in VR isn't going to make you feel like you're really there, because there's no positional tracking.

Even then the resolution for videos even on Oculus or Vive isnt quite there yet. Everything thats further than 5m away will look like early low-res rmvb videos.

HyGogg

Banned

There's some really good headway being made on this front, and I think we'll see live action video with real positional tracking soon enough. But that's not going to work for live broadcasts, or really streaming in general for a very long time.

If you set the two sensors up diagonally it can do 360 out of the box. Third sensor will make that more reliable, but I find it's reliable even without.

Vive is better at tracking large volumes (like over 12 feet), and it's a little more consistent (Rift sometimes has little aberrations when moving between sensors), but Rift also has some advantages (especially ergonomically). They're really close in overall quality.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of tempted but at this point I feel like we must be on the brink of gen2 devices that will probably be far better than the current ones in every way, and probably not that much more expensive.

anothertech

Got mine at launch price, still worth every penny.

If your interested, but still haven't picked it up now is the time. Go see what Lone Echo and Robo Recall are all about. They are incredible.

Mr. Hyde

That's awesome! I am very curious to see more of Samsung's Mixed Reality headset, although it's $500.00. They say it's similar to the VR sets but it has no need for wires. I wonder how immersive it will be.

low-G

I'm kind of tempted but at this point I feel like we must be on the brink of gen2 devices that will probably be far better than the current ones in every way, and probably not that much more expensive.

Oculus showed off stuff that's coming in 2018 and 2019. If you're willing to wait till 2020+...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oculus showed off stuff that's coming in 2018 and 2019. If you're willing to wait till 2020+...

Perhaps. Surprised it might be that long, but I still get the impression the current VR headsets are early and not quite there yet. Admittedly haven't tried anything except a phone thing last Christmas though.

I think for a limited time you could get a $400 Rift with a $100 amazon gift certificate, but it was for a few days rather than the couple month Rift sale.

And overall best now, imo, even disregarding the price.

They just showed the new Oculus Home page which integrates computer desktop usage. Yeah, there were apps for that, but seamless integration shouldn't be understated. If only the headsets had better resolution, I think this would be the beginning of an alternative to standard monitors....it's still the beginning, but it's nowhere close yet.

For a few minutes. And Amazon never sent me the GC so they just refunded me $100 :D

That's awesome! I am very curious to see more of Samsung's Mixed Reality headset, although it's $500.00. They say it's similar to the VR sets but it has no need for wires. I wonder how immersive it will be.
The Windows one? That has a wire. It doesn't need exterior sensors though.

low-G

Perhaps. Surprised it might be that long, but I still get the impression the current VR headsets are early and not quite there yet. Admittedly haven't tried anything except a phone thing last Christmas though.

The tech is both completely there, and decades off.

We have everything with need for revolutionary & fun experiences, but perfecting everything is going to take a lot more than 1 or 2 more generations. I doubt I’ll ever be disappointed having owned a gen 1 PCVR device.

So it's finally reached the consumer price range they advertised all those years ago. And yet, I'm inclined to wait for second gen VR headsets. We need more FOV, higher resolutions, less screen door, and ideally eye tracking/foveated rendering.

Journey

Banned
Thanks for all the replies. So with this sale, plus the $70 for another camera, the Occulous should be a no brainer.

Jimrpg

Sweet. They should have just had the permanent drop to $399 in the first place. I’m sure everyone who missed out would have waited anyway.

Now I really want a Vive but if they’re not budging from their price point of being $200 more than the rift than at some point the Rift price is going to be too good to pass on.

Is this worth it for someone that already owns a Vive? I know you can play a lot of these Oculus exclusive games with Revive but the process of buying it on the Oculus Store and running a middle layer is bleh.

Also how's the setup? If its less of a pain than setting up those light houses for the Vive, I might consider it...especially since I really want to play Lone Echo and Robo Recall.

RoyalFool

Banned
Is this worth it for someone that already owns a Vive?

Is it worth buying a Ford if you already have a Porsche?

The motion controllers are a improved, but the headset will be a noticeable downgrade from what you already have; and the tracking needs an additional camera to match the Vive setup; personally I find the god rays unbearable so it's the least used out of the three major headsets.

Zalusithix

Sweet. They should have just had the permanent drop to $399 in the first place. I’m sure everyone who missed out would have waited anyway.
Marketing. By making the price "limited" at first, you'll get more of a surge in sales than an immediate permanent price drop would give. That said, I figured the sale was limited more due to the manufacturing costs making that price point untenable in the long run than pure marketing, so I guess they fooled me there. Either they had more of a profit margin on the hardware than I was expecting, or they've just decided to make everything in their software sales from here on out. (Which would make the walled garden approach that much stranger, but alas.)

Top Bottom