• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

bounchfx

yeah, I don't play too much right now but my name is just bounchfx on oculus. I like some dead and buried and ripcoil or whatever

tuna_love

Banned
the amount of times i have shoved my hands into the ceiling fan playing super hot is insane, the touch controllers are kinda tough

ive had no experience/exposure to touch or even vive with motion controls prior to this, and touch really blows my mind. this is what i was expecting from VR to begin with, totally different ball game. the oculus demo that they give you is a fantastic intro as well, though im not really suprised as the dreamdeck was great as well

is arizona sunshine worth 40 bucks? i bought the starter pack for $100, and got the 3 free games that come with touch as well

Wallach

ive had no experience/exposure to touch or even vive with motion controls prior to this, and touch really blows my mind. this is what i was expecting from VR to begin with, totally different ball game. the oculus demo that they give you is a fantastic intro as well, though im not really suprised as the dreamdeck was great as well

is arizona sunshine worth 40 bucks? i bought the starter pack for $100, and got the 3 free games that come with touch as well

Arizona Sunshine is pretty good, yeah, though I'd personally wait and play through what you already have first. That bundle plus the included games are some of the best content available in VR, in my opinion. Oculus may have a holiday sale to match Steam's sales in another week or so and you might be able to get some of this stuff like Arizona Sunshine a bit cheaper then.

If anyone is thinking about buying Raw Data - don't. It works terribly with Touch because the guns are at totally the wrong angle and there doesn't seem to be any way to calibrate it.

Ferrio

Banned

As a Vive owner I kinda wish I held off on Arizona. If you're interested in the single player mode and the $40 price tag doesn't scare you off then it's a solid pick for a few hours of fun. If you're interested in the multiplayer you might wanna wait for abit since online is pretty bad right now. Lobbies seem to rarely work and when they do there's always a chance you or someone else might crash. I've had it since launch day and even trying every day I've only successfully got into 2 multiplayer games.

That said there's a solid game there if they can fix the crashes + online issues. I just hope what little player base that's there doesn't abandon it before then.

If anyone is thinking about buying Raw Data - don't. It works terribly with Touch because the guns are at totally the wrong angle and there doesn't seem to be any way to calibrate it.

This is a bummer, hopefully they fix that soon. It was one of the Steam VR games I really wanted to pick up on sale.

Do people generally like Space Pirate trainer? That was going to be next on my list.

Enk

makes good threads.
I could use more GAF names on the leader boards and in multiplayer if anyone wants to add me.

Oculus Name: Enk

Thanati

You can add me if you want: Enordash. That goes for everyone. It'd be a good way around the limited numbers in games like Dead & Buried. I'd love to try horde with four people rather than two.

I'll add you later. Feel free to add me as well. My nick is Welshie.

You can get it from the developers site for $33 (as long as the deal is still going). The gameplay is great, particularly the campaign. I've only managed to get into one horde match online though. I think it's good if you're interested in an actual campaign game. It has a few crash and online bugs which will hopefully be worked out soon.

Anyone here have Onward? It seems cool as hell. Just kinda curious on how well it works on Oculus.

You need 360 degree tracking for Onward. I've read that it works well if you have that setup. It is early access, so keep in mind it won't be particularly polished at this point. I'm going to pick it up in the winter sale though.

You can get it from the developers site for $33 (as long as the deal is still going). The gameplay is great, particularly the campaign. I've only managed to get into one horde match online though. I think it's good if you're interested in an actual campaign game. It has a few crash and online bugs which will hopefully be worked out soon.

You need 360 degree tracking for Onward. I've read that it works well if you have that setup. It is early access, so keep in mind it won't be particularly polished at this point. I'm going to pick it up in the winter sale though.

Ahh ok, thanks. I will probably grab it when its cheap also. but I can hold off for now.

You guys can add me, same name as on GAF. I don't play all that much, only friend I know has a Vive so I will eventually need more peeps on the list once I get all setup and can just start playing around again.

I really don't have anything else on USB aside from a mouse and keyboard and those are on USB 2. I tried the USB slots on my motherboard which are USB 3.0. Changing them never made a difference. I've already tried installing new PCIe USB 3.0 slots that has a SATA power hookup to my PSU. It's probably overkill since I'm not charging anything, but I wanted to give it every effort. It's even the Inatech card that Oculus recommends. Didn't help.

What's your PSU? Just trying to throw things out there and hopefully one will stick. Troubleshooting this stuff is really difficult. I know with the DK2 there was a lot of troubleshooting involved and it would end up being random things like something was reflecting perfectly into the camera or something.

I got my extensions today and noticed a little jitter when Bullet Train was loading up. Have them about 7' apart, about 6' up. I'm hoping it was just because I was occluding, will have more time to test tomorrow. Were smooth through the whole thing, just the loading and ending sections. Not sure if that was there the first time I did it.

bounchfx

Just finished SUPERHOT VR

holy fuck that was awesome. It is quite short, and I really hope they patch in the challenge levels the original had, but otherwise, no regrets paying full price for it. By far the best VR game I've played so far, it works so well and you feel like you're in a god damn action movie

Edit: god dammit. every time I finish playing, My mind still reacts like I'm in the game. Where i'll move slow and then faster but expect things to happen. It's super trippy!

Ferrio

Banned
Just finished SUPERHOT VR

holy fuck that was awesome. It is quite short, and I really hope they patch in the challenge levels the original had, but otherwise, no regrets paying full price for it. By far the best VR game I've played so far, it works so well and you feel like you're in a god damn action movie

Edit: god dammit. every time I finish playing, My mind still reacts like I'm in the game. Where i'll move slow and then faster but expect things to happen. It's super trippy!

Tossing the guns non nonchalantly after you destroy everyone in the room is my favorite part.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This is a bummer, hopefully they fix that soon. It was one of the Steam VR games I really wanted to pick up on sale.

Do people generally like Space Pirate trainer? That was going to be next on my list.

I had zero interest in playing SPT from watching videos. After buying it and playing it, it's one of my favorite games. It feels like what Atari games would have been had the tech been available back then (plus dubstep).

Zalusithix

I had zero interest in playing SPT from watching videos. After buying it and playing it, it's one of my favorite games. It feels like what Atari games would have been had the tech been available back then (plus dubstep).

Did you play Xortex yet (Lab game)? If you're talking about a retro gaming in VR, then I'd say it nails the feeling even more.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Ripcoil is so weird! It really feels like your on the platform moving left and right. I keep thinking I'm moving with my chair but it's all in my head.

Super hot and Ripcoil so far are my favorites.

I'm going to try the Climb today, hopefully it's good. If not, at least the cash might help the crytek devs get paid :/

120v

has anybody been playing Doom 3 with Touch?

seen a few youtubes lately of people playing it on Vive... was there an official VR patch or are people using a mod?

Tankshell

I just can't work out the punching mechanic in Ripcoil. I cant get past the tutorial because I've only been able to do it once.

You are not alone. Something about this game makes it a lot harder than it should be to actually catch/punch the disc as it is returning to you.

has anybody been playing Doom 3 with Touch?

seen a few youtubes lately of people playing it on Vive... was there an official VR patch or are people using a mod?

It's a mod, but it's easy to install. It works remarkably well, but as a VR mod to an existing game how much you can handle moving around without it feeling weird will vary from person to person. I thought I had seated mode working but it messed up the scale and I couldn't see a way to fix it. It really shows the potential for a VR FPS with motion controls though.

So I got and played a little of Vanishing Realms, I am an oculus user with a tiny space to move around and just two cameras so that game isn't really made for it.

I manage to make it work but it feels a bit janky. Not sure if it's the game but even teleporting sometimes feels like it's studdering a bit or something. There is not changing the view point so things will be behind you and that makes it hard to keep the camera tracking. Many times I choose to just teleport behind something so that it's in front of me rather than behind.

So if you can get past the extra jank of having tracking lost sometimes and needing to teleport more than usual just so that you can be in a position to use the controllers well then it's playable.

The game is neat, haven't got far nor fought much but I like that it's a full on action adventure game.

I just can't work out the punching mechanic in Ripcoil. I cant get past the tutorial because I've only been able to do it once.

How are you doing it? Make sure you have a couple seconds to charge it by holding the trigger, then right as the disc is close to you, make a punching motion straight into it, don't release the trigger when you do it though. I figured punching and catching out by testing different timings in practice mode. I realized you can actually catch/punch a bit before your body naturally tells you to (as if you were going to do it in real life), and doing it slightly too late won't work so it's better to just shoot for slightly early.

I've also found that the punch only works when your body is almost right behind the disc, meaning you can't do a side punch if the disc is off to the left/right. Same goes with catching but to a lesser degree (you can reach out and catch, but make sure you do it early, because even if you feel like you've timed it right the game sees it as too late).

Punching back an already-punched disc is awesome, totally catches people off-guard

By the way, if you haven't noticed, there is a cooldown on the punching. If you look at your hand you punched with afterward it shows you how long you have until you can punch with that arm again.

I still haven't figured out if there's any special spin moves or anything else you can do to give you a leg up.

How are you doing it? Make sure you have a couple seconds to charge it by holding the trigger, then right as the disc is close to you, make a punching motion straight into it. I figured it and catching out by testing different times in practice mode. I realized you can actually catch/punch a bit before your body naturally tells you to (as if you were going to do it in real life), and doing it slightly too late won't work so it's better to just shoot for slightly early.

I've also found that the punch only works when your body is almost right behind the disc, meaning you can't do a side punch if the disc is off to the left/right. Same goes with catching but to a lesser degree (you can reach out and catch, but make sure you do it early, because even if you feel like you've timed it right the game sees it as too late).

Punching back an already-punched disc is awesome, totally catches people off-guard

By the way, if you haven't noticed, there is a cooldown on the punching. If you look at your hand you punched with afterward it shows you how long you have until you can punch with that arm again.

Is the disc supposed to swerve dodge away from you at the last second in the tutorial? Because I almost was never able to actually get completely in front of it on return because of that and I had the same problem of being unable to punch or even catch it.

jon_dojah

Banned
My 3rd sensor delivery got bumped to today instead of tomorrow. Others have reported the same. Also my UPS tracking says signature required. Good thing since I will be home all day and tomorrow would have been more difficult.

Is the disc supposed to swerve dodge away from you at the last second in the tutorial? Because I almost was never able to actually get completely in front of it on return because of that and I had the same problem of being unable to punch or even catch it.

That's why I think spin is somehow involved in this game, but also make sure you aren't jolting your whole body when you punch/catch because you'll slide. Basically make sure when you are punching or reaching that you only move your arms (if you're correctly positioned at that point).

But yea, sometimes the disc does seem like it's swerving more when it gets close to you.

Practice by throwing the disc straight in front of you and then position yourself as early as possible so you can practice catching/punching.

Edit: everyone add me, I need more people to play with! DHPierce85

How are you doing it? Make sure you have a couple seconds to charge it by holding the trigger, then right as the disc is close to you, make a punching motion straight into it, don't release the trigger when you do it though. I figured punching and catching out by testing different timings in practice mode. I realized you can actually catch/punch a bit before your body naturally tells you to (as if you were going to do it in real life), and doing it slightly too late won't work so it's better to just shoot for slightly early.

I still haven't figured out if there's any special spin moves or anything else you can do to give you a leg up.

It mainly seems to happen because I'm moving towards where it's going to be and then it requires a pretty accurate punch to land it. It's really frustrating.

On a separate note, I set up my third camera last night. It wasn't easy finding a combination of USB ports to not give a warning message about poor quality tracking, and that was with the third one plugged in to a USB 2.0 port as it suggests. I had the same issue with having the headset and camera both plugged into ports in the back - it seems to like having them all in separate sets (i.e. one plugged into one of the ports on the back of the PC, one on the top and one on the front). Adding a fourth thing means I can't separate them. Pretty fiddly, this is definitely where the lighthouse solution is far superior.

Enordash

The Unspoken allows for some pretty intense battles. I need to play around with different combinations of the artifacts. The tentacles seem ridiculously popular right now, but the spear is ridiculously damaging. Running two of them may be the best idea. The game also seems to lend very well to distractions which makes me wonder if the airplanes are actually the secret OP artifact that no one uses. Feels a bit random to discuss any one game too heavily in a general thread like this though.

What's your PSU? Just trying to throw things out there and hopefully one will stick. Troubleshooting this stuff is really difficult. I know with the DK2 there was a lot of troubleshooting involved and it would end up being random things like something was reflecting perfectly into the camera or something.

Yeah I appreciate any and all help I can get.

My PSU is a EVGA 750W GQ. The other main details of my rig are an AMD R9 390, i5 6600 3.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16 GB RAM.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
My account name is the same as all the other account names in my profile for anyone looking to add more to their friends list. I'm not on too often though.

So I've been given the choice of a Rift or Vive as a gift and I'm leaning towards the Rift, I'm just worried about what I've heard about the comfort of using the Rift with glasses. Can anyone share their experience on using the headset with glasses?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I've been given the choice of a Rift or Vive as a gift and I'm leaning towards the Rift, I'm just worried about what I've heard about the comfort of using the Rift with glasses. Can anyone share their experience on using the headset with glasses?

I have both headsets and I prefer the Vive headset overall, including for comfort with glasses.

Enk

makes good threads.
So I got and played a little of Vanishing Realms, I am an oculus user with a tiny space to move around and just two cameras so that game isn't really made for it.

I manage to make it work but it feels a bit janky. Not sure if it's the game but even teleporting sometimes feels like it's studdering a bit or something. There is not changing the view point so things will be behind you and that makes it hard to keep the camera tracking. Many times I choose to just teleport behind something so that it's in front of me rather than behind.

So if you can get past the extra jank of having tracking lost sometimes and needing to teleport more than usual just so that you can be in a position to use the controllers well then it's playable.

The game is neat, haven't got far nor fought much but I like that it's a full on action adventure game.

Thanks for the impressions! Guess I'll currently wait a bit on it until I get a third sensor or if it goes on sale during the Steam Holiday Sale later this month.

Yeah I appreciate any and all help I can get.

My PSU is a EVGA 750W GQ. The other main details of my rig are an AMD R9 390, i5 6600 3.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16 GB RAM.

Damn, 750W should be more than enough, and the other specs are great.

I do know that on reddit there was a post that developers (Oculus) have been working on bug fixes for more of the known ones (jitter and such). Hopefully that will clear things up.

jon_dojah

Banned
My 3rd sensor arrived. Just plugged it in and reset Guardian boundaries. Everything works as expected and no more occlusion in back of play area. It comes with a 16ft. Monoprice USB 2.0 extender/repeater cable. My long road to room scale Rift VR is complete!

Is there any games out there that use the touch controllers, and actually let you use the joysticks to move? I want to try that out. Maybe there is a Skyrim mod? That would be rad.

Is there any games out there that use the touch controllers, and actually let you use the joysticks to move? I want to try that out. Maybe there is a Skyrim mod? That would be rad.
You should play Doom 3 BFG Edition. There's a couple different VR mods for it and it's brilliant.

Top Bottom