• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

vermadas

Echo Arena Beta is now available to download. Beta officially starts tomorrow, but you can check out the tutorial in the meantime. Supposedly the IK is really impressive.

Today's Daily Deal is Defense Grid 2 - 67% off - $9.99
New weekly bundle - $59.99 USD - includes:
The Unspoken
Chronos
VR Sports Challenge
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope

--------------------

Steam Sale VR games
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - 67% off - $4.94 USD
Vanishing Realms - 30% off - $13.99 USD
Space Pirate Trainer - 30% off - $10.49 USD
Smashbox Arena - 50% off - $9.99 USD
Arizona Sunshine - 20% off - $31.99 USD
Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality - 20% off - $23.99 USD
Thumper - 40% off - $11.99 USD
Pavlov VR - 40% off - $5.99 USD
Raw Data - 20% off - $31.99 USD
The Gallery Episode 1: Call of the Starseed - 50% off - $9.99 USD
Job Simulator - 30% off - $20.99 USD
Dirt Rally - 70% - $17.99 USD
Sports Bar VR - 40% off - $11.99 USD
Battlezone - 33% off - $26.79 USD
The Solus Project - 50% off - $9.99 USD
Onward - 20% off - $19.99 USD
Holopoint - 25% off - $11.24 USD
New Retro Arcade: Neon - 33% off - $13.39
Redout: Enhanced Edition - 60% off - $13.99

...and much more.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Steam sale is starting up soon...would be good to have a comparison of the non-exclusives between the two sales.

TheBear

What's up with Arizona Sunshine's loading times? It took me a full 10 minutes to get into the game yesterday (non-SSD) but the game runs fine after that. Also the first calibration is a mile off, always need to redo it.

Steel

Banned
What's up with Arizona Sunshine's loading times? It took me a full 10 minutes to get into the game yesterday (non-SSD) but the game runs fine after that. Also the first calibration is a mile off, always need to redo it.

Yeah, it has absolutely absurd loading times.

low-G

I don't have an issue with calibration, but on a SSD I am getting >1 minute initial loads too, probably >2 minutes.

At some point either a dev or someone recommended making sure you have virtual memory on in Windows, even with 16GB of RAM.

Wonder how the game loads with 32GB of RAM...

Coverly

Played A Mages Tale up until crafting your first spell so these are first impressions:

Much better than I imagined. I wasn't really exited about playing it but decided to give it a shot since I've been using the rift more often lately.

+ The visual atmosphere hits the spot. The game does give you the feeling of being inside a dungeon. It's great to finally look around and feel like you are in that space.

+ Interaction with the environment. A sword was stuck to the wall and I could remove it. Skeleton bones were on the floor and I could pick any of them up. I could pick up mushrooms but I didn't know how to store them in my inventory so I just ate them. Same for a bottle of water. It was great to drink it and then smash the glass a-la Thor. Health potions were easy to spot and it was great to at least be able to equip one for later. I'm also carrying a grimoire but I have no idea on how to flip the pages.

+ Puzzles were fun. Or at least the main puzzle in the tutorial dungeon. Had to look around and it took longer than expected because I'm still used to thinking all items are static and unmovable like in most games.

+ Gameplay is good so far. I was first creating a fireball and then opening my palm to release it while pointing at the direction but it kept flying randomly. Turns out I have to throw it like a baseball. It was easy to hit the goblins with it I was worried that the accuracy would be all over the place. Lighting works different though, you don't really throw it, but just point to the target and open your palm and hold it since it's a damage over time spell. I really liked that different spells have separate ways of execution. The goblins were easy but I was hit by one of their arrows. I didn't know until later but it looks like I can make a small mana shield with either hand. Didn't get a chance to test it out but it did look cool making a shield with one hand and throwing fireballs at the test dummy. Magic could be executed in either hand, so if your a leftie I imagine that's a big plus. Dodging was also pretty easy with the controls. I was worried originally that I would be planted in one place during fights.

+ Brewing potions. Finally I can be some sort of alchemist in vr! Created the lightning spell that way, and it looks like you can create or enhance many other things. I hope the potions you find the in dungeon come in abundance if you have to experiment with different combinations. I couldn't put back a potion standing up on the shelf though, it kept falling sideways.

- Loading times. Everything is a loading screen, it even sings to you sometimes lol.

Overall I was pretty happy with the first session and a little disappointed there was no OT for it here so I decided to post my impressions here.

Echo Arena is pretty damn fun. It's cool to run into the devs too. I got some of those pro tips, aha!

In the tutorial I was getting a little motion sickness, but then once I got in the game and into the groove of things it was pretty slick. The fine motion is definitely gonna take some practice getting used to, but the main parts of getting around are pretty easy to get used to.

I love that the there is a lobby before you even queue into the game where you can mess around with other people and practice moving, punching people, and throwing the disc.

AnnTiPa

I tried a couple of matches of Echo Arena. It does take a few matches to get used to the movement; I think I managed to touch the disc a couple of times in each match and the rest of the time I was just flying around. I'm really looking forward to the single player campaign now though, since moving around was a ton of fun when not using the thrusters. It would be interesting to try the multiplayer in a mode with the main thruster disabled so that you would have to rely more on pushing on objects instead of just flying around.

CzarTim

It's pretty cool, but I found it more fun dicking around in the lobby than actually playing the game. Two matches I played were blowouts (one for, one against) and I didn't feel like I contributed much because whoever got the disc was easily able to fly to the goal.

I wonder if disabling the disc holder's boosters would force some more teamwork?

Plasma

Banned
I'm really crap at Echo Arena and I think my space is a bit too small for it but I'm still having a ton of fun playing it, the social area while you wait to be matched into a game is a really smart idea as well.

mr stroke

Anyone here that has had one since launch, is the Rift software still compelling enough to buy a Rift?

Curious as I bought a Rift & Vive at launch and sold it with in a month(launch games got stale fast) but thinking about jumping back into VR

vermadas

(Super late) Today's daily deal is SuperHOT VR - 40% off - $14.99

Only played Echo Arena very briefly - did the tutorial and hung out in the lobby for a bit. Matchmaking didn't find anything. But holy fuck, the movement in this game feels fantastic.

Anyone played Trackmania Turbo in VR? I have it on my wishlist but would only buy it for VR.

How is it in VR?

They added 40? VR only tracks. Unless they changed something since I tried it initially, third person camera was required. And it didn't feel "locked" to the car. It would only go first-person when going around loops (as it does in flatscreen when you're using third-person camera). The tracks seemed pretty pedestrian by Trackmania standards too. I was pretty disappointed with it.

vermadas

Today's daily deal is Battlezone - 37.5% off - $24.99 USD

Note that if you're interested in multiplayer, the game does not have cross-platform/store support. Battlezone is 33% off - $26.79 USD - on Steam.

Bought Pinball FX2 VR on Steam and damn...

Everything is so blurry. I changed the graphics in the options to the highest one, but everything is still so blurry, especially the tables.

HyGogg

Banned
Anyone played Trackmania Turbo in VR? I have it on my wishlist but would only buy it for VR.

How is it in VR?
The main game isn't in VR at all. The VR support is confined to a 40-track standalone campaign that will take you a couple hours tops.

That aside, it's a good game, and the VR is fun while it lasts, but I wouldn't buy it for the VR alone.
Do I want Damaged Core?

I liked it when I came out, but it's hard to go back to gaze controls after playing some of the really good Touch shooters out there.

HyGogg

Banned
Played A Mages Tale up until crafting your first spell so these are first impressions:

Much better than I imagined. I wasn't really exited about playing it but decided to give it a shot since I've been using the rift more often lately.

+ The visual atmosphere hits the spot. The game does give you the feeling of being inside a dungeon. It's great to finally look around and feel like you are in that space.

+ Interaction with the environment. A sword was stuck to the wall and I could remove it. Skeleton bones were on the floor and I could pick any of them up. I could pick up mushrooms but I didn't know how to store them in my inventory so I just ate them. Same for a bottle of water. It was great to drink it and then smash the glass a-la Thor. Health potions were easy to spot and it was great to at least be able to equip one for later. I'm also carrying a grimoire but I have no idea on how to flip the pages.

+ Puzzles were fun. Or at least the main puzzle in the tutorial dungeon. Had to look around and it took longer than expected because I'm still used to thinking all items are static and unmovable like in most games.

+ Gameplay is good so far. I was first creating a fireball and then opening my palm to release it while pointing at the direction but it kept flying randomly. Turns out I have to throw it like a baseball. It was easy to hit the goblins with it I was worried that the accuracy would be all over the place. Lighting works different though, you don't really throw it, but just point to the target and open your palm and hold it since it's a damage over time spell. I really liked that different spells have separate ways of execution. The goblins were easy but I was hit by one of their arrows. I didn't know until later but it looks like I can make a small mana shield with either hand. Didn't get a chance to test it out but it did look cool making a shield with one hand and throwing fireballs at the test dummy. Magic could be executed in either hand, so if your a leftie I imagine that's a big plus. Dodging was also pretty easy with the controls. I was worried originally that I would be planted in one place during fights.

+ Brewing potions. Finally I can be some sort of alchemist in vr! Created the lightning spell that way, and it looks like you can create or enhance many other things. I hope the potions you find the in dungeon come in abundance if you have to experiment with different combinations. I couldn't put back a potion standing up on the shelf though, it kept falling sideways.

- Loading times. Everything is a loading screen, it even sings to you sometimes lol.

Overall I was pretty happy with the first session and a little disappointed there was no OT for it here so I decided to post my impressions here.

This game slipped by without a lot of hype, but it's really great. It's all the things people say they're hungry for in VR: An RPG, a full-length game, something with free exploration that isn't teleport-only, AAA-ish production values... It's really impressive.
Y'all think Wilson's Heart is gonna be a daily? Really waiting for that...

Doubt it. It's too new.

Worth it at full price though. It's a solid 8 hour game. Took me a while to get through.
So nobody has played wilson heart ? I don't know if i should buy it if there are jump scares in it i pass.
It's a good balance of creepy to scary. There's a lot of atmosphere, but it's never outright brutally scary like RE7 or Outlast.

But yes, there are jump scares. Jump at your damn face scares.

Soi-Fong

This game slipped by without a lot of hype, but it's really great. It's all the things people say they're hungry for in VR: An RPG, a full-length game, something with free exploration that isn't teleport-only, AAA-ish production values... It's really impressive.

Doubt it. It's too new.

Worth it at full price though. It's a solid 8 hour game. Took me a while to get through.

I'm still holding out hope. If at the last day, its not on sale I'm gonna get that and preorder Lone Echo.

vermadas

Y'all think Wilson's Heart is gonna be a daily? Really waiting for that...

I'm hoping for that too. Battlezone had a daily a few days ago and released a couple weeks after Wilson's Heart.

There's also likely to be a daily on Batman Arkham VR. Oculus mistakenly tweeted that it was a daily a few days ago before deleting and correcting.

I spent a few hours just arsing about in the lobby for Echo Arena during the beta. I've no real interest in online multiplayer, so I didn't try to join a match, but the sheer promise captured in the locomotion style was more than enough to sell me on Lone Echo. Nothing has excited me this way about VR since SuperHot.

120v

was going to wait until the 'high end VR' thread was bumped to ask this... but has anybody played Left Hand Path? thinking of picking it up before the steam sale is up

Soi-Fong

I got the Climb after playing it on my boss' account at the studio and I have to say I'm mightily impressed by it.

I played it at launch with the 360 controller and immediately disregarded it, but with Touch it's something else completely. Even with no body, you sorta just become "one" with your in-game character and getting to the top feels like a real accomplishment.

Overall, it's one of the best experiences I've tried.

This game also makes me wish more games used Cry Engine. If only their documentation wasn't so goddamn sparse...

Maybe Lumberyard will be able to take over..

charpunk

Mage's Tale is so good! SO GOOD!

Though I would make sure to put it on an SSD if you have the ability to. The load times off a HDD are insane. HDD would take 2-3 minutes each load screen, SDD about 10-20 seconds.

Soi-Fong

Mage's Tale is so good! SO GOOD!

Though I would make sure to put it on an SSD if you have the ability to. The load times off a HDD are insane. HDD would take 2-3 minutes each load screen, SDD about 10-20 seconds.

I saw this, but the price is putting me off. Think it was a mistake for them to put it up on the Oculus store during the Steam AND the Oculus sale.

It just seems too expensive compared to the others. Those loading times are insane too. Don't know how the hell Oculus allowed them in with a 2 minute loading time.

Edit: It's crazy to me Dirt Rally is $18 on Steam, yet $26 dollars on the Oculus store.

Soi-Fong

Double post, but today's daily deal is Raw Data.

The sale ends in 1 day judging from Oculus' site, so I'm thinking this is the last daily deal. I'm guessing, it's safe to get Wilson's Heart then?

vermadas

Double post, but today's daily deal is Raw Data.

The sale ends in 1 day judging from Oculus' site, so I'm thinking this is the last daily deal. I'm guessing, it's safe to get Wilson's Heart then?

According to their initial blog post it should go through July 5 10:00 PT. So one more daily after this one. They are probably rounding down.

Ugh I was so tempted to pick up a Rift over the last week from the Best Buy sale but ultimately don't think I have the space for room tracking which is what I'd like to shoot for. :(

Soi-Fong

How is Wilson's Heart? It looks interesting but I'm not sure if I could take a lot of jump scares.

The reviews for it are pretty good and it's a substantial 8 hour story from what I've read. It'll take me longer than that personally since I usually take longer than most to complete games so definitely worth it.

Here was the review thread in Reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/67hzcb/wilsons_heart_review_megathread/

Not bad for a game that came out around two months ago.

Top Bottom