• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
From what I understand, the Rift is less comfortable than the PSVR.

I do not find the Rift to be the most comfortable thing being honest.

That's kind of a bummer, but I can move past it. I mainly want to get into the VR craze early and experience it as it evolves. I'll take the better VR over comfortability for now.

I found it reasonably comfortable til my air conditioner broke. Then I just started sweating into the foam and it became a mess.

I'll try to keep the room it is in cool at all times then!

From what I've gathered in regard to comfort based on feedback I've read is:

PSVR > Rift > Vive

I find the rift comfortable for long Elite Dangerous sessions. You just need to ensure you adjust the side and top straps accordingly.

I'm not surprised, the PSVR was EXTREMELY comfortable. That was really impressive just by itself.

There is only one commercially available version of the Oculus Rift (often called the CV or CV1 by those of us who've been following the Rift for a while), but if you're buying from third-party sellers, you just have to make sure you're not buying the DK1 (veeeery unlikely at this point) or the DK2.

This is the DK2. You don't want to buy this one.The one you linked to is the correct one.

Ok, awesome! I bought the one I linked to as it was better than buying from Oculus itself since I have Prime. I can't wait to try this out!

It's fairly comfortable but by no means weightless. It also gets kinda hot after a while. I usually play it in 30 minute periods. Any more than that and it does start to feel uncomfortable to me. A good enough game would probably let me ignore that though, haha. I also haven't tried the other headsets so I can't really compare.

I'm actually not intending to play this for long stretches of time, really. At least not until I'm comfortable with the games, but I mainly game with friends so VR, unless it really just amazes me, will be something I play for short periods at a time.

harz-marz

My Rift arrives tomorrow, don't think I will be able to sleep tonight!

What are the must have games? I am not a fan of RPGs, crafting games etc.

Obviously get Lucky's Tale free, has everyone had fun with it?

I also already have Project Cars which will be fun to try in VR.

The ones I like the sound of are:

Defence Grid 2
Edge of Nowhere
Dirt Rally

tuna_love

Banned
My Rift arrives tomorrow, don't think I will be able to sleep tonight!

What are the must have games? I am not a fan of RPGs, crafting games etc.

Obviously get Lucky's Tale free, has everyone had fun with it?

I also already have Project Cars which will be fun to try in VR.

The ones I like the sound of are:

Defence Grid 2
Edge of Nowhere
Dirt Rally
dirt rally is my favourite game, it can be weird driving opposite side to what your wheel set up is if your using one. elite dangerous and house of the dying sun are good too. dirt rally is cheap on cdkeys as well.

Yaska

After much battling, I finally got my PS Move to work with SteamVR. Unfortunately it shows as controller 2, so I can't get DotaVR work yet (I can teleport around but not select anything). It works just fine with a single PS Eye, but one might want another for better tracking.

harz-marz

dirt rally is my favourite game, it can be weird driving opposite side to what your wheel set up is if your using one. elite dangerous and house of the dying sun are good too. dirt rally is cheap on cdkeys as well.

Thanks for the recommendations....tried CD keys for Dirt Rally and it is OOS :(

Considering most of this previous week of my life has been lost playing Elite Dangerous in VR, that would be my recommendation. With a Rift and a HOTAS (I recommend the Saitek X52 Pro) controller, there's nothing else like it. I play most VR games in short bursts of an hour or so, but Elite has managed to keep me going for 3-4 hours at a time.

harz-marz

So I am sat here waiting on UPS delivering my Rift but have to leave at 1pm for work. Typical luck that they didn't deliver it this morning!

Quick question... If UPS are unable to deliver am I able to collect it this evening or do you have to wait 24 hours on it going back to their depot?

Edit: it's here!!! Will play later and post impressions!

bratpack

I've just bought the samsung gear vr headset which installed an oculus app store to my phone

I'm about to experience vr for the first time Wooo lol

I know it's not psvr or oculus quality with the gear vr but I'll take this cheap option for now lol

What's the first things I should check out?
any tips?

Considering most of this previous week of my life has been lost playing Elite Dangerous in VR, that would be my recommendation. With a Rift and a HOTAS (I recommend the Saitek X52 Pro) controller, there's nothing else like it. I play most VR games in short bursts of an hour or so, but Elite has managed to keep me going for 3-4 hours at a time.

I have played Elite before and I can't wait to try it out in VR!

House of the Dying Sun is really good!
Sweet! This is what I've got so far.
2016-07-31.png

Any other recommendations, guys?

Start by getting Virtual Desktop. Get your video viewing options sorted.

What's the main attraction of Virtual Desktop? Besides seeing your desktop in VR? Does it serve any other purpose I'm not seeing right off the bat?

What's the main attraction of Virtual Desktop? Besides seeing your desktop in VR? Does it serve any other purpose I'm not seeing right off the bat?
It's one of the easiest ways to watch side-by-side video and pictures, from what I understand.

I have not picked it up yet, I'm hoping Bigscreen will feature match it.

Okay. Playing around for 3 hours with the Oculus and here are my pet peeves and what it does well:

Oculus: Cables are far too short. I wanted to put my sensor close to my bed, but it doesnt reach that far. Like 50cm are missing. Sucks a bit when I would wanna watch movies with it. Besides that the quality seems great.

Comfort: After using it for the 3 hours I have to say that maybe I didnt configure it right. It really hurts my forehead when I wear it. Its like its pressing on it really hard and is noticable.

VR: Great. Sadly the resolution isnt at the point where it could be, but in the coming years it will get better.

Experiences:

Dreamdeck: Quite nice. Experience a sense of scale in it.
Introduction to VR: That was actually really great. The "3d" movies there feel like I am at the basketball game or on that boat ride.
Henry and other short movies: Cool.
Luckys Tale: I dont know. Actually, while the VR mode is quite nice, I think the game itself plays really poor. Its like if someone copied Mario but didnt know what made it so good. The leveldesign feels really simple. Like I said. The VR aspect is cool, but as a game it feels not that good.
Subnautica: Somehow doesnt start after pressing New Game. Just get a black screen.
Project Cars: Looks great, but not my type of game.
Big Screen Beta/Virtual Desktop: Great apps. These seem to be the apps, that a lot of people will use for movies or gaming. But I didnt understand something. If I play games like Rocket League or games that dont require much performance, they run pretty well. Then I started Division or AC. On the real desktop they run with 60fps, but inside Big Screen or Virtual Desktop they seem to run with 20 fps or so. Why is that?
When it comes to viewing videos with those two apps it seems really great though. Watched some YT videos in 1080p and while its not as crystal clear as a real screen, the size makes up for it. In that home theatre of VD they look great.

I have to say after using it for about 3 hours now I feel a bit dizzy though.

Tain

Comfort: After using it for the 3 hours I have to say that maybe I didnt configure it right. It really hurts my forehead when I wear it. Its like its pressing on it really hard and is noticable.

I didn't realize for the longest time that you can pivot the pitch of the headset once it's on your face. I was feeling like it was a bit too tight on my forehead too until I tilted it more downward while wearing it.

also buy Chronos. Everyone should buy Chronos, it's the best VR game even if it isn't the flashiest VR demo.

Will wait till Chronos is cheaper.

I tried Solus Project, but I guess my VR legs arent strong enough yet. That game looks gorgeous but got turned it off as soon as I got a bit sick.
Wonder how long it takes till I get some stable VR legs.

Just watched some shows in Virtual Desktop and that was really great.

How accurate are the minimum specs for Elite Dangerous VR that Frontier posted?

• Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
• Memory: 16 GB RAM
• Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 with 4GB or better
• Network: Broadband Internet Connection
• Hard Drive: 8 GB available space

16GB RAM and a 980 seem steep.
Has the sys reqs changed at all since the CV1 launch?

vermadas

Ascension VR is out - Oculus Store | Steam ($9.99 USD)

Ascension VR is the first deckbuilding Virtual Reality experience. Bringing the tabletop world into the digital sphere by connecting players from all over the world into one virtual space, Ascension VR uses 3D fully animated avatars and showcases social elements including spatialized voice chat, avatar lip sync and avatar animation triggered by real time player movement. Players can battle for supremacy regardless of what platform they’re on, whether mobile or PC and from a variety of VR headsets, including Vive, and Rift.

Cross platform multiplayer across Oculus Store (Windows and Gear VR) and Steam.

Will wait till Chronos is cheaper.

I tried Solus Project, but I guess my VR legs arent strong enough yet. That game looks gorgeous but got turned it off as soon as I got a bit sick.
Wonder how long it takes till I get some stable VR legs.

Just watched some shows in Virtual Desktop and that was really great.

I had to get a refund on Solus because of the motion sickness. For games you arent sure about, get on steam for the easy refund policy.

One of the great things about Chronos is that there is zero motion sickness due to the fixed camera system. In terms of value, I would say Chronos is #1 because its a full game 15+ hours that I would buy even if it wasnt VR.

v0mitg0d

Love my rift (cv1) and have some questions:

1) Are there any scary games to play?
2) Can I play Alien Isolation?
3) is there a good resource online for games that are modded for VR like say for example Skyrim?

3) is there a good resource online for games that are modded for VR like say for example Skyrim?

Alien Isolation works in VR and is the best way to be scared. Also get Abe VR, its free and awesome.

Check out vorpx for VR support for non-VR games.

Isolation doesn't work natively on a CV1. Vorpx only.

As someone who wasted 50 bucks on it, save your money

That sucks if they actively removed a working mode

That's not how this works. They didn't actively remove it. They just didn't actively update it, which would have cost them developer hours and money. Alien Isolation came out before the Rift SDK was finalized, so it uses an outdated one. The consumer version of the Rift doesn't support these outdated SDKs.

harz-marz

Just setup my Rift and have been very impressed so far! Only tried the demos, Luckys Tale (which is superb) and Project Cars. Subnautica on Steam simply doesn't work in VR mode has anyone else the same issue?

I have had lots of issues and error messages about my sensor. It keeps telling me I am either too far away or I need to tilt it.

I only have room for a seated experience and believe I have it in the correct position and angle. Is it possible that the sensor is faulty?

Dingo Bonecrush

Neo Member
Just setup my Rift and have been very impressed so far! Only tried the demos, Luckys Tale (which is superb) and Project Cars. Subnautica on Steam simply doesn't work in VR mode has anyone else the same issue?

I have had lots of issues and error messages about my sensor. It keeps telling me I am either too far away or I need to tilt it.

I only have room for a seated experience and believe I have it in the correct position and angle. Is it possible that the sensor is faulty?

My Subnautica works just fine in "Other VR mode" on Steam, but the framerate dips a lot even on the recommended settings (got a GTX 980 here)

Never had a problem with my sensor either and I've set it up at my desk and in my livingroom, I only lost tracking once when I leaned too far in The Climb.

harz-marz

My Subnautica works just fine in "Other VR mode" on Steam, but the framerate dips a lot even on the recommended settings (got a GTX 980 here)

Never had a problem with my sensor either and I've set it up at my desk and in my livingroom, I only lost tracking once when I leaned too far in The Climb.

I am having lots of error messages!

When I input my height (6ft1) should I make this height smaller as I am seated?

Helznicht

Well I have found a 2nd game that the background Oculus software effects (ovrserver.exe).

Both Doom 2016 and Warhammer Vermintide drop into single digit framerates (to pretty much freezing) every few minutes. These freezing episodes last about 2-4 seconds, and then clear up.

Tracked it to huge network spikes caused by OVRserver running in the background. When I force close it via task-manager, problems disappear.

Anyone else seeing the same issues? I have not found a way to keep it from loading at startup (it is conveniently NOT in the task-manager startup list).

I currently use my onboard ethernet adapter. If I got a dedicated card and used it, think it would solve the issue?

vermadas

Yeah. But I let it load for 2 minutes and still nothing happens. On the desktop I see some screen of a crashed vessel, but nothing more.

And anyone knows whats up with demanding games in Big Screen Beta/Virtual Desktop? Like I said. On the desktop they run with 60 or more fps, but insde VD/BSB they seem to run with 15-20 fps.

Getting my Rift tomrrow! Quick question as far as the Rift Store goes vs Steam games.

I understand the exclusives (such as Eve Valkyrie) I can only get from the Rift store.

How about for games like Dirt Rally and Project Cars? Do I have to get the Rift Store version? Or can I experience the VR from the Steam version?

Also, if I already own Elite Dangerous, should I be good to go for VR?

How about for games like Dirt Rally and Project Cars? Do I have to get the Rift Store version? Or can I experience the VR from the Steam version?

You can get them on Steam.

The Rift store is a mess imo. You can only pay with CC (afaik if they didnt change it yet), you cant refund games even if they make you sick, no community features etc.

Steel

Banned
Getting my Rift tomrrow! Quick question as far as the Rift Store goes vs Steam games.

I understand the exclusives (such as Eve Valkyrie) I can only get from the Rift store.

Get whatever you can on Steam. Rift store's terrible. And, yeah. Elite Dangerous will work for you immediately in VR.

You can get them on Steam.

The Rift store is a mess imo. You can only pay with CC (afaik if they didnt change it yet), you cant refund games even if they make you sick, no community features etc.

Get whatever you can on Steam. Rift store's terrible. And, yeah. Elite Dangerous will work for you immediately in VR.

Good to hear. I'm sad that Eve: Valkyrie is only available on the Rift store. Are there any other exclusives that are on the level of Eve: Valkyrie?

harz-marz

Yeah. But I let it load for 2 minutes and still nothing happens. On the desktop I see some screen of a crashed vessel, but nothing more.

And anyone knows whats up with demanding games in Big Screen Beta/Virtual Desktop? Like I said. On the desktop they run with 60 or more fps, but insde VD/BSB they seem to run with 15-20 fps.

I've the exact same issue with Subnautica.

Enordash

Although Eve:Valkyrie is a million times better with friends, the game seems incredibly unbalanced. I feel like it squandered a lot of potential.

Well I have found a 2nd game that the background Oculus software effects (ovrserver.exe).

Both Doom 2016 and Warhammer Vermintide drop into single digit framerates (to pretty much freezing) every few minutes. These freezing episodes last about 2-4 seconds, and then clear up.

Tracked it to huge network spikes caused by OVRserver running in the background. When I force close it via task-manager, problems disappear.

Anyone else seeing the same issues? I have not found a way to keep it from loading at startup (it is conveniently NOT in the task-manager startup list).

I currently use my onboard ethernet adapter. If I got a dedicated card and used it, think it would solve the issue?

Nope, I haven't seen this problem. I finished Doom without seeing any such spikes.

Keep in mind that launching games from Oculus Home is far simpler than launching them from Steam. I've had plenty of stability problems with SteamVR, and I typically have to go into Playback Devices in Windows and set it to play audio on the Rift before I launch any games.

If you've got a game that runs in Oculus Home, all you have to do is slip the headset on, look at the game you want to run, and hit A on the controller. Done. With Steam, things get complicated enough that I can't even give you a step-by-step series of instructions. The SteamVR experience, to me at least, reminds me too much of how VR worked back when the Rift DK2 was all we had, and I'm glad to have put that behind me.

Btw, if you already own Elite Dangerous, you can use their website to request codes for both Steam (if you don't already have it there) and Oculus Home, so you get the best of all worlds. I use the Oculus Home version since I have no desire to ever again play that game outside of VR anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom