• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Really wish I could afford to build a gaming PC and own all the headsets this year. But enjoy your new headset PC-GAF. I'm jealous

For anyone worrying, drivers installed just fine.

Interestingly, they made me restart after the first attempt and my PC came up in single monitor mode. After the install it made me restart again, and they came back up in multi monitor mode.

Presumably precautions after that recent bad driver, but hopefully it'll put people's minds at rest.

Wallach

Well I re-installed KB3140768 for W10 as well as the new 364.74 GeForce drivers.

I'm not real happy about needing KB3140768, and I hope it doesn't fuck up their launch window here due to that XInput device bug. Hopefully Oculus can kind of prod Microsoft into fixing that quickly since all Rifts are coming with an Xbox One controller.

Tain

I'm so excited. I'm April crew (dumb five minute late order), but a friend of mine (DK1 backer) is certain that he's getting his today. Thrilled to see it and try my game on it.

artsi

Apparently there's something unannounced related to the Oculus Store launch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4c9b47/all_the_games_are_there_store_is_working_pretty/

One is definitely a huge surprise.

Since the store will launch in a few hours anyway, I will tell you what they are. Don't continue to read if you don't want the surprise spoiled for you.

One is called Dreamdeck. It's a collection of almost all of the internal techdemos. The dinosaur one, the height one, the paper city and more.

The other freebie is called Farlands and it blows my mind that they didn't tell anyone about this. It's a fully voiceacted game which I would describe as a mix between Pokemon Snap and Viva Pinata. There are multiple planets to visit. Each one has its own different creatures. You can feed them and take pictures. The pictures are then scored and you level up. The higher your level, the more planets you can visit. The best part is: The game runs in realtime. If you come back the next day, some things will have changed.

Canada Alert

Taken from Reddit:

v4T0kja.png

And this has to be on a Kickstarter unit.

Not surprised in general but surprised they would hit a Kickstarter unit, which is essentially a gift, with duty.

They supposedly start shipping Wednesday. Unless the goal posts get moved again.

This... This might be the thing that finally makes me cancel. $1000+ puts me back in "what the hell am I spending so much money for" territory. At the very least I would consider waiting for a proper retail launch in the hopes that a better Canadian dollar and a lack of a $65 delivery charge will snag me a better price.

artsi

This... This might be the thing that finally makes me cancel. $1000+ puts me back in "what the hell am I spending so much money for" territory. At the very least I would consider waiting for a proper retail launch in the hopes that a better Canadian dollar and a lack of a $65 delivery charge will snag me a better price.

I'd wait until clarification. If it's a kickstarter unit then it might not apply to paid units, where the taxes are supposed to be included in the price.

It will be nice to be able to play Luckys tale on the DK2 and later on the CV1.

I can´t wait to see the upgrade in optics/sde.

I can't wait to see impressions from "regular" gamers on what they think of this. It is very exciting

They'll finally realize that VR is the real deal and feel pretty stupid for doubting and actively hating on something this awesome.

It should be funny to see the 180's people make and how their opinions change into something resembling common sense after actually trying it and they finally realize you aren't putting on a 20lb motorcycle helmet that invites criminals over to rob your house that you don't realize is on fire while you trip over virtual tables and throw your motion controller into your TV because the isolating factor of the helmet made you lose all your friends the second you put it on and they saw how dumb you look playing videogames alone in your own home.

Not sure if I missed anything but I think I got most of the mind numbingly false "skepticism" people have been lazily throwing around to discredit VR before they actually try and realize how stupid their previous "logic" was.

That said, I can't wait for everyone else with common sense to jump into the VR revolution that we've known has been coming for years now.

I really hope they put out a bundle of all the available games around launch as I'll be buying most launch titles anyway but if there were a discount on such a bundle I'd jump in all the way and pick that up instead of just the titles I'm most interested in.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Happy VR day!

I'm hoping to get my Rift by the end of the week but until then I'll enjoy reading impressions and reviews.

Eurogamer:
But in the meantime, I can safely say that those who've pre-ordered the Rift are unlikely to be disappointed with the quality of the end product and the experience it delivers - VR is like nothing you've ever experienced before. It's been almost three years since I first took delivery of my DK1 Kickstarter unit. Back then, the hardware wasn't up to scratch, the experience didn't live up to expectations and I felt that Oculus had a real mountain to climb in turning what was clearly experimental hardware into a consumer-ready product. The great news is that Oculus has done it. The Rift is highly recommended, and I can't wait to see where this revolutionary technology takes us.

The wait gets harder.

Man

Seems like the expected outcome:
The audio-visual experience is a genuine Revolution. Cannot be explained, only experienced.
Oculus Home is a very polished platform.
No 3D controller for another six+ months a disappointment and making interactivity feel limited (denying first instinct of reaching out).
Games w/ 'Intense' in comfort rating deliver motion sickness relatively quickly while games w/ 'comfortable' rating can be played all day.

Cmagus

I'd wait until clarification. If it's a kickstarter unit then it might not apply to paid units, where the taxes are supposed to be included in the price.

These will be stopped at the border without a doubt so if you plan on ordering in Canada expect duty charges. Even if the fees are covered in the price it usually doesn't matter if they want to charge you duty they will charge you duty.

Lettuce

So is there anyway to tell me when i shall be expecting my OR, last time i looked on my account i could see and confirmation of when i would be getting mine

did they ever state when/where the launch "very limited" stock that's going to retailers would be?

based on how they've been so far, I'd be shocked if that actually was anything

They'll finally realize that VR is the real deal and feel pretty stupid for doubting and actively hating on something this awesome.

It should be funny to see the 180's people make and how their opinions change into something resembling common sense after actually trying it and they finally realize you aren't putting on a 20lb motorcycle helmet that invites criminals over to rob your house that you don't realize is on fire while you trip over virtual tables and throw your motion controller into your TV because the isolating factor of the helmet made you lose all your friends the second you put it on and they saw how dumb you look playing videogames alone in your own home.

This made me laugh really hard, thanks for this.

viveks86

From what I understand, the press was provided with bare minimum specced PCs. I know the Digital Foundry review referenced it.

Provided with? So this was at a review event eh?

EDIT: That wasn't the case with USA today though. He reviewed it on a $2000 rig

Foggy

Provided with? So this was at a review event eh?

EDIT: That wasn't the case with USA today though. He reviewed it on a $2000 rig

Hard to say, here's the relevant part

Oculus is intent on proving that by kitting out the press with a reference platform based on an Asus G20 small form-factor PC, an Asus VE198 monitor, plus the Rift package itself. The pleasant surprise here is that the G20 itself barely scrapes the Oculus min-spec, when the more obvious choice may have been to supply press with the absolute state of the art in PC technology. As things stand, we have the requisite Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, but CPU-wise, the reference units features a base-level Core i5 6400 - the bottom rung 2.7GHz quad-core processor in Intel's latest Skylake line-up. Curiously, this is actually less powerful than the Core i5 4590 previously announced as VR's entry-level CPU.

Ask for USA Today...huh, surprised since we hadn't heard any rumblings with Project Cars VR performance until now.

From what I understand, the press was provided with bare minimum specced PCs. I know the Digital Foundry review referenced it.
They were provided with machines very close to / matching the official 'Recommended PC Specification', not the "bare minimum".

Alexlf

Don't know if this has been cleared up already, but that's a kickstarter unit. Preorders should already be covered.

Trojan

Are they taking more orders on Rift units right now for those who haven't preordered? And if so, anyone know the current ship window?

Reading these reviews is making me reconsider my current PSVR preorder. Might be worth just to go all-in on a new PC with the Occulus based on how solid they're saying it is

Foggy

They were provided with the 'Recommended PC Specification', not the "bare minimum".

Sure, I'm more just pointing out that it was purposely on the lower end. Obviously more demanding games can have deleterious results on lower end VR capable PCs. Besides, as we've been conditioned to believe "minimum recommended" = "bare minimum" when it comes to performance and comfort with VR.

Anyone buying a headset in the next 12 months is a VR enthusiast, so no, I completely disagree.

The thing is, if you want to have the best experience (graphical) I guess you will either buy one of the new Pascal cards or have a 980.

Especially after seeing that computerbase performance, where even that Minigolf game didnt run well with a 970.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom