• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty

I got the Rift. Ordered from Scan and arrived the next day! But im still waiting on Amazon to deliver the USB3 PCI card, HDMI to Display port adaptoer and a USB3 extension cable. Update – Order now delayed until next week! L

But I gave it a go and I managed to quicky set it up with just USB2 ports for now. And having no display as I only have one HDMI on my card. And also not been able to place the second senor properly. So my setup is a bit janky but I thought id give it a go.

Only 1 of the len dispays was on with random static glitchy pixels and the other was not even on! Bloody defective unit! Or so I thought until I reconnected via another usb port.

But after that....All I can say is wow! Holy Moly is this amazing! That first demo with the cute little robot....the immersion felt so good!

I was a skeptic at first. I tried the Google cardboard and thought it was quite decent. But if the Rift/vive were just more graphically better than cardboard, I didn't think it was worth the big investment. But man, this blows the CB out the water. Theres just something there which the CB didn't have. The immersion is just on another level. Anyone else considering getting one.....don't make judgements on VR based only with CB.

This truly does feel like a first step towards a hollodeck.

And it'll only get better as the hardware arrives! Are you shooting for an opposed-sensors 360 setup with that extension cable? That's what I'm running at present (with some ceiling mounts) and it works a treat. Playing Robo Recall in full 360 no-teleport-direction mode is incredible.

Also Rez and Thumper are both awesome if you're after something seated that won't make you sweat.

kinn

jump straight into robo recall if you found the robot tutorial awesome :D
yes tried it. really enjoying it. scratches that light gun shooter itch. being able to rip them apart or use as a shield is great.

And it'll only get better as the hardware arrives! Are you shooting for an opposed-sensors 360 setup with that extension cable? That's what I'm running at present (with some ceiling mounts) and it works a treat. Playing Robo Recall in full 360 no-teleport-direction mode is incredible.

Also Rez and Thumper are both awesome if you're after something seated that won't make you sweat.

yeah planning for a 360 setup but need to see how i can achieve this.

already have rez and cant wait to try the new zone.

i tried adrift....such an amazing experience! but it also made me a little queasy. playing with different views on project cars also gave me some feelings.

dammit!

Shifty

Have any of you lot tried House of the Dying Sun? I'm on the hunt for some more seated stuff and Battlezone is way too expensive at non-sale prices. Really kicking myself for missing that deal.

I'm digging the Dune-like aesthetic but I could use some impressions to push me over the edge (or not, as it may be). Anyone?

I said goddamn.

Though in fairness I think my time with the Rift up until now has been well worth the extra £75. Nailing my setup at last and getting good at Robo Recall has been amazing.

Shifty

you downloaded any mods yet? there is an smooth locomotion mod

I've not tried any yet, trying to get as much out of the base game as possible before I dive in.
Smooth locomotion sounds like it could be pretty wild though, I've been wanting to try Raw Data which I think has that but RR seems like a way more polished game.

yes tried it. really enjoying it. scratches that light gun shooter itch. being able to rip them apart or use as a shield is great.

In time that game will make you feel like Neo. Abusing the teleport slo-mo, doing melee recalls to build multiplier and then busting out crazy gun kata stuff for big points.

You can even swat a dude into the air with your gun and then bullet juggle him DMC style. I mean wew goddamn adfghslf.

i tried adrift....such an amazing experience! but it also made me a little queasy. playing with different views on project cars also gave me some feelings.

The motion sickness should lessen with time. I felt light queasiness after each session for the first few weeks but now it's down to mentally registering the motion disconnect but feeling fine.

I even managed the opening of Metroid Prime in VR today with no ill effects. Cutscene cameras, smooth locomotion, rendering glitches and all.
And despite everything it was still amazing.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Have any of you lot tried House of the Dying Sun? I'm on the hunt for some more seated stuff and Battlezone is way too expensive at non-sale prices. Really kicking myself for missing that deal.

I'm digging the Dune-like aesthetic but I could use some impressions to push me over the edge (or not, as it may be). Anyone?

I said goddamn.

Though in fairness I think my time with the Rift up until now has been well worth the extra £75. Nailing my setup at last and getting good at Robo Recall has been amazing.

wait for Battlezone sales. Its a mid-tier VR title on PC.

Josman

I'm pretty amazed at the effort Oculus is doing getting VR through, after deciding to skip the Vive which I always wanted more and ordering a Rift, I checked both Steam and the Oculus store, to my surprise while the Oculus store is expensive, it's very organized and full of original and great looking content, also, I was reading why Steam recommended a 970 and Oculus a 1050ti as min spec and I found out about ASW, honestly I feel so happy with my choice.

I can' wait until it arrives in 6 more days (international shipping be damned), I think I'll get Elite Dangerous, Chronos, Google Earth VR and I don't know what else first, I feel kindda overwhelmed. Selecting which game to buy on traditional 2D gaming is easier since I just sort out the bad games, but with VR it's like I want to experience everything, even if it's a bad game (provided it's motion sickness free)

Shifty

GAF, for a 3 sensor roomscale setup, what's the maximum distance the 2 front sensors support? It's 12 feet ok? (so I can use the corners)

I have a 12x12 room like demonstrated on the official Oculus page: https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-tips-for-setting-up-a-killer-vr-room/

And about the height, It's 8 feet ok?

According to that blog post, the range limits on the sensors are thus:
A single sensor offers ideal Touch controller tracking up to six feet away, good tracking up to eight feet away, and then essentially won't track past 10 feet away.
Doing the math, if you're working with a 12ftx12ft space, mounting at 8ft and angling down at 45 degrees, each sensor's FOV will cover more than half the room but end before it reaches the opposite corner.
So, in theory, tracking should be solid in the middle of the room but you might see some wonkiess near the floor at the corners.

It's hard to give a definite answer based solely on theory though, so you might want to experiment with your sensors' placement using DeskScene or Guardian Boundary Editor before you mount them.
Both of those allow you to visualize the overlap between your sensor volumes and get a better idea of your room coverage, though it does involve re-running the oculus room setup every time you move them.

Essentially you want to make sure there's as much overlap as possible between the three sensors' FOV so they can cover eachother's blind spots and form an 'optimal tracking volume'.
To give a visual example, here's a screenshot from Guardian Boundary Editor. I've been running my 3-sensor setup in an 8ftx8ft space with an effective play area of 6ftx6ft for safety's sake:
be9031eb8a898d4294b84a2cb26c988c.png

Note the blue heatmap-looking background; that represents the sensors' cumulative FOV. More blue = more coverage, so I've positioned the play area to cover as much of the optimal space as possible without getting too close to a wall.

Going counterclockwise from the top left, the sensors are:
  • 6ft high / USB3
  • 6ft high / USB2
  • 7ft high / USB3
They're all angled ~45 degrees down toward the center, and I have the opposing ones running on USB3 so there will always be one high-bandwidth sensor with a good view.
The side one I've left on USB2 due to lack of bandwidth, so it's mostly there as a corrective assist for when one of the other sensors can't see a controller. Tracking has been flawless so far.

Whew, accidental essay post. I hope that helps!

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
GAF, for a 3 sensor roomscale setup, what's the maximum distance the 2 front sensors support? It's 12 feet ok? (so I can use the corners)

I have a 12x12 room like demonstrated on the official Oculus page: https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-tips-for-setting-up-a-killer-vr-room/

And about the height, It's 8 feet ok?

You should be fine. I tested a 14'x 14' play area where my front sensors were 16' apart and my front to rear sensors were 17' apart. I had some difficulty getting the controllers to be seen by all 4 sensors during the initialization part as I appeared to be near the limits but I eventually got it to work:

pakNpIT.png

Lancelot

According to that blog post, the range limits on the sensors are thus:

Doing the math, if you're working with a 12ftx12ft space, mounting at 8ft and angling down at 45 degrees, each sensor's FOV will cover more than half the room but end before it reaches the opposite corner.
So, in theory, tracking should be solid in the middle of the room but you might see some wonkiess near the floor at the corners.

It's hard to give a definite answer based solely on theory though, so you might want to experiment with your sensors' placement using DeskScene or Guardian Boundary Editor before you mount them.
Both of those allow you to visualize the overlap between your sensor volumes and get a better idea of your room coverage, though it does involve re-running the oculus room setup every time you move them.

Essentially you want to make sure there's as much overlap as possible between the three sensors' FOV so they can cover eachother's blind spots and form an 'optimal tracking volume'.
To give a visual example, here's a screenshot from Guardian Boundary Editor. I've been running my 3-sensor setup in an 8ftx8ft space with an effective play area of 6ftx6ft for safety's sake:

Note the blue heatmap-looking background; that represents the sensors' cumulative FOV. More blue = more coverage, so I've positioned the play area to cover as much of the optimal space as possible without getting too close to a wall.

Going counterclockwise from the top left, the sensors are:
  • 6ft high / USB3
  • 6ft high / USB2
  • 7ft high / USB3
They're all angled ~45 degrees down toward the center, and I have the opposing ones running on USB3 so there will always be one high-bandwidth sensor with a good view.
The side one I've left on USB2 due to lack of bandwidth, so it's mostly there as a corrective assist for when one of the other sensors can't see a controller. Tracking has been flawless so far.

Whew, accidental essay post. I hope that helps!

You should be fine. I tested a 14'x 14' play area where my front sensors were 16' apart and my front to rear sensors were 17' apart. I had some difficulty getting the controllers to be seen by all 4 sensors during the initialization part as I appeared to be near the limits but I eventually got it to work:

pakNpIT.png

Thank you for the help, guys. I think I'll stick with that famous PDF measurings as it should have the optimum experience, right?

Lakuza

got my bundle today, can you control the audio in windows somehow or only inside the oculus app?

the rift has a volume option when you press the home button on the controller. I havent tried to see if the system volume has any effect on the rifts headphones.

If you're on steam, you can control the volume with the start button and also the desktops volume by using desktop mode (within steam).

Lakuza

Oculus are ending the summer sale with these offers (posted it in the vr deal thread but will post it here since its tied to the summer sale too):

Oculus Labor Daty Flash Sale: (ends September 4th 11:59 pm PT)

The Chef

Wasn't there an official VR patch for Alien Isolation?
I remembered I have the game in my Steam library and have been dying to try it out in VR but am not quite sure how to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom