• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

stuminus3

wwm0nkey said:
Ok so did the newest ATI drives help or is it pretty much a no go for them?
Neither the official 11.2 drivers or the newer 11.4 preview drivers fix the water issue.

Got another serious boost in framerate with this new patch, though. Now it seem to run closer to the constant 60fps that it should be running on my 5770, which is nice. If this water/glitchy texture thing was fixed I might actually be happy enough to play though the damn thing! :)

Salsa

So yeah, should i get this for 12 dollars ?

Nvidia user btw.

edit: also any way to play the old ones in windowed mode ? :/

Redrum_82

SalsaShark said:

Nvidia user btw.

IMHO yes.

The first two game are classic and the play well even today.
The ports of the last two have issues, but they are being corrected with patches.
They are also gonna update Stranger's Wrath with the HD assets of the PS3 version for free after its release.

wwm0nkey

SalsaShark said:

Nvidia user btw.

edit: also any way to play the old ones in windowed mode ? :/
You could wait for it to come out for 360 or PS3. Or wait for the whole oddboxx to go on sale again when the strangers wrath HD patch goes live.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I already have the first two Oddworld games on GOG.com, so if I buy Oddbox, it's for the last two. I hear most issues have been solved, so I will probably pick it up at some point, but I'll probably wait for a sale.

wwm0nkey

JAWltd said they can't talk about 'The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot' for some reason :)

Also again guys remember there will be a new 50% off deal when the HD patch is released.

Salsa

wwm0nkey said:
Also again guys remember there will be a new 50% off deal when the HD patch is released.

This confirmed ? if so i'll probably wait since i need to save up to pre-order portal 2.

Any word on playing the older Abe's on windowed ? i would have no problem with the stretched aspect ratio if it was at least pixely, but it just looks blurry (going from the demos)

wwm0nkey

SalsaShark said:
This confirmed ? if so i'll probably wait since i need to save up to pre-order portal 2.

Any word on playing the older Abe's on windowed ? i would have no problem with the stretched aspect ratio if it was at least pixely, but it just looks blurry (going from the demos)
Yeah it is confirmed.

So would Stranger's Wrath still have performance issues on a Radeon 6850? I'm trying to figure out if I should pick it up now or wait until they get everything sorted out for real.

nincompoop said:
So would Stranger's Wrath still have performance issues on a Radeon 6850? I'm trying to figure out if I should pick it up now or wait until they get everything sorted out for real.

Performance issues, no. But my guess is that the water will still be effed up.

wwm0nkey

BobTheFork said:
Has all thing mess put the PS3 on the shelf? We haven't ever heard more about release since our first information
No its still coming out on PS3 and thanks to it no longer being 2+ gigs in size the 360 version is pretty much a go.

wwm0nkey

Sorry for the bump but according to the oddworld twitter, ATI's new drivers that release Monday will fix most issues for Strangers Wrath! :D

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
ArjanN said:
Well, A, it's not really busted anymore.

And B, as far as I know the PS3 version will is basically going to be the same game with HD assets on top as well. As far as I know they're not really changing anything about the core game, it's just better textures and models and such.

Wasnt the PS3 version including move support as well?

wwm0nkey said:
Sorry for the bump but according to the oddworld twitter, ATI's new drivers that release Monday will fix most issues for Strangers Wrath! :D
sweet_jesus.gif

I'll believe it when I see it, but if true... :D

Before, at launch, I could at least play the game. There were all kinds of weird performance issues but the game was playable. Now it just hangs on a black screen after the intro cinematic is done playing. I can't even be arsed to bother trying to trouble shoot why and try to get it to run. I just don't care anymore at this point.

Edit: I am talking about Stranger's Wrath.

wwm0nkey

jaundicejuice said:
Before, at launch, I could at least play the game. There were all kinds of weird performance issues but the game was playable. Now it just hangs on a black screen after the intro cinematic is done playing. I can't even be arsed to bother trying to trouble shoot why and try to get it to run. I just don't care anymore at this point.
At launch it was almost un-playable, the newest patch added like 100FPS :lol

If you are using ATI the new drivers are still not out.

I just verified the integrity of my local game cache, nothing new was downloaded. Launched the game, attempted to start a new game, skipped the intro movie, hang. I'm sure I could sort this out if I spent enough time poking around on google but why bother? I wash my hands of Just Add Water and Oddworld. If I had spent more than 13$ I probably would be fighting with Steam customer service to get my very first refund.

Maybe the HD remake of Stranger's Wrath will function properly, if not, I doubt I'll ever buy another game that JAW had anything to do with.

jaundicejuice said:
I just verified the integrity of my local game cache, nothing new was downloaded. Launched the game, attempted to start a new game, skipped the intro movie, hang. I'm sure I could sort this out if I spent enough time poking around on google but why bother? I wash my hands of Just Add Water and Oddworld. If I had spent more than 13$ I probably would be fighting with Steam customer service to get my very first refund.

Maybe the HD remake of Stranger's Wrath will function properly, if not, I doubt I'll ever buy another game that JAW had anything to do with.

Did you update your drivers recently?

On my "brand new" Sapphire Radeon HD5670, still busted.

a3C2z.jpg

This goes for alpha blended stuff, too.

Also had a great bug where I tried to alt-F4 out of Stranger to post here and had to reboot my entire system because I had a frozen image of the game locked on my screen that would not go away.

Yagharek

If only 'Just Add Water' could do exactly that.

Shame really, the water effects in the original xbox version were some of the best Ive ever seen.

I'm not entirely sure why they're expecting drivers updates to fix the problems with their port work, anyway. Are they specifically petitioning ATI to add something special, or are they just hoping they luck out?

Edit: Oh, I see, a z-buffer OpenGL issue. I still wonder about expecting ATI patches when other developers seem to have worked around this issue.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone know how I can run Abe's odyssey in a window decently? I tried dxwnd but it's stuck on the top left part of the screen and looks awful, I realize I can't expect too much from these ports but I think this should at least be possible at the minimum. How does steam games work with VM?

Sigh... At least the remake is coming

MNC

What if this version runs great on older systems, but the HD version won't? :( WIll there be toggling? I doubt they'll have double the assets

Im sure it will go by the Low, Medium and High rule. Low being the version we currently have.

Let me put it this way.

We can already run the bulk of the new models in the PC version, and there is ZERO FPS difference, as the FPS limitations are nothing to do with models, but rather the format that the data is stored in.

A lot of it is stored in "chunks" etc that were optimised for XBox's architecture. We are reworking the tools/build process for the actual PS3 version of the game, which will actually mean there are LESS assets in the PS3 than there are in the Xbox/PC.

The game works in such a way that instead of pulling data from a central "asset tank" it includes whatever textures/models/audio is required in level X in the data for level X, so you might have the same textures etc repeated MANY times within the data.

Now with modern systems, we don't have to do that anymore, as games run from HDD not disc, AND machines have more memory too. So you don't have to worry so much about conserving as much memory as possible.

I don't really care anymore since I have since gotten a laptop upgrade, but thank you for the info. :)

So has there been any update on when the HD patch is coming to the PC version of Stranger's Wrath?

I was hoping for a March release at the very latest. :\
I'll probably have upgraded to an Nvidea card by the time the patch comes out.

Oh well, I've waited nearly ONE AND A HALF YEARS to play Stranger's Wrath on my PC without transparency issues. What's another month or two? (or 3, or 4, or 12...)

Teknoman

Heh I was actually searching for news on this. Put off my first time playthrough after I heard the PC version would be getting the HD upgrade. Assumed it would be a free upgrade after seeing the Witcher Enhanced Edition patches.

scitek

Heh I was actually searching for news on this. Put off my first time playthrough after I heard the PC version would be getting the HD upgrade. Assumed it would be a free upgrade after seeing the Witcher Enhanced Edition patches.

Yeah, it's supposed to be a free upgrade. I think they were supposed to be coming sometime soon, like around the start of summer or so, but I haven't read anything about it in a while.

Me too.

Bought Oddbox at launch, waited to play SW because to the awful technical issues.
It got patched but still had weird issues with transparencies for AMD cards.
Just Add Water said it was an AMD driver issue so I waited every few weeks or so to update my drivers and see if it worked.
Nothing worked, but JAW said that the HD update would fix the AMD graphical issues so I'm currently waiting for that.

They've said it will be a free update ages ago, but if I could have paid $5 for them to release it with the PS3 version, I think I would have done so.

*GASP* After doing some very difficult and time consuming research (visiting JAW's website), I came across tweets that seem to indicate that they are closing in on the PC patch release.

Devin ‏ @TwistedVivid
@jawltd When is the Stranger's wrath HD Patch coming?

JAW (Dev), Ltd. ‏
@TwistedVivid it'll entering final QA in a couple of weeks

Me too.

Bought Oddbox at launch, waited to play SW because to the awful technical issues.
It got patched but still had weird issues with transparencies for AMD cards.
Just Add Water said it was an AMD driver issue so I waited every few weeks or so to update my drivers and see if it worked.
Nothing worked, but JAW said that the HD update would fix the AMD graphical issues so I'm currently waiting for that.

They've said it will be a free update ages ago, but if I could have paid $5 for them to release it with the PS3 version, I think I would have done so.
Plenty other games manage transparencies on AMD cards just fine, if you know your implementation is broken on AMD hardware then you change it. Blaming it on AMD isn't acceptable.

Plenty other games manage transparencies on AMD cards just fine, if you know your implementation is broken on AMD hardware then you change it. Blaming it on AMD isn't acceptable.

On one hand I like their moxie for taking a stand against that kind of stuff, because I've definitely run in to more compatibility problems on this Radeon HD5670 (my first ATi/AMD card) than I ever did on any of the nVidia cards I've used. I'd really like it if AMD got their shit together.

But I don't think they're in a position where throwing their weight around like that actually matters to anyone except the people who bought Stranger's Wrath more than a year ago and have never been able to play it. I hate to be that entitled asshole on a forum somewhere, but I feel like I'm owed something more besides an HD graphics patch at this point.

I remember GoldenHelmet saying RAGE was never fixed on on Radeon hardware, but I'm finding evidence to the contrary.

Top Bottom