• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

If there is no difference in the ports from PSOne/Xbox version then I'll just get Munch’s Oddysee for PC since I have the first two on PSOne via PSN+.

Never played any of the Oddworld titles so this is going to be fun! :D

Bear

Being patched with updated assets later on seals the deal for me. I have the first two games but I definitely plan on getting SW in the Steam sale.

If this holiday sale can match the one last year, it's going to be insane.

Kilgore Trout said:
I wish I could gift Abe's Oddysee and Exodus if I decide to get the pack because I already own them.
Try contacting steam. They have a pretty nice service. Ask them to give you the ability to gift what you already own. They most likely will be able to help especially if you do end up buying the pack.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I hope they won't operate after Valve time, then we'll see it like, tomorrow.
Us Europeans at least.

scitek

Moobabe said:
Have you got the source for this?

The CEO of the company doing the ports posted in this very thread that it's "HIGHLY likely" it will happen.

GoldenHelmet said:
Now there's an idea we HAVE thought of ;-)

Truth be told the reason the PC version doesn't have the HD models is the PS3 version isn't done yet, and we wanted to get the Oddboxx out this Holiday Season.

It is HIGHLY likely we will be releasing an update for PC at a later date!

Stewart Gilray
Just Add Water ;)

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
The game is confirmed by Valve to hit Steam at 10am PST.

Go here if you want to see the time in your timezone.
http://www.timedial.net/world-time-difference-calculator/

Also - Stewart Gilray (CEO of Just Add Water - a team doing a lot of dev with Oddworld) posts here as GoldenHelmet.

Hope you guys enjoy the soundtrack sampler. :)
http://www.oddworld.com/?p=297

My favorite tracks are easily the Stranger ones. Plucking tracks from the Abe OST was tough - *so* much variety in it. There's tribal music, orchestral - classical - tracks, NIN-like stuff... it really is a broad OST.

We'll stick some iPhone skins and a bunch of other art things on the site later in the week.

Sordid

Munch was up but it disappeared pretty quickly, the link is still live though. Hopefully it won't be too long, I'm snowed in here and it's looking like a boring evening otherwise!

Excited. Loved the first three but never played Stranger's Wrath as I was still way into Halo at the time.

Glad I went to the store as I just saw Meat Boy is only $3.75. Already played the 360 version but I may double dip.

Not sure how much I'll buy this year though as even if they have great deals, I pretty much bought every game I wanted last year. There's only so many good games out there. :lol

bumpkin

I don't know if it's been discussed, but what sort of computer specs is it going to take to run these puppies with respectable settings? I fear that my old-as-dirt Dell laptop isn't quite going to have the gusto, and there's been no mention whatsoever of Mac versions being released.

wwm0nkey

bumpkin said:
I don't know if it's been discussed, but what sort of computer specs is it going to take to run these puppies with respectable settings? I fear that my old-as-dirt Dell laptop isn't quite going to have the gusto, and there's been no mention whatsoever of Mac versions being released.
How old is the laptop?

bumpkin

wwm0nkey said:
How old is the laptop?
By computer standards, ancient; it's at least 5 years old... Has 1.6 GHz Celeron-M processor and some crappy integrated Intel graphics chip.

TimmiT

I already have Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus, so I'll just buy Munch's Oddysee and wait for Stranger's Wrath to come on PSN.

wwm0nkey

bumpkin said:
By computer standards, ancient; it's at least 5 years old... Has 1.6 GHz Celeron-M processor and some crappy integrated Intel graphics chip.
Yeah I dont think thats going to run it sadly.

Mad_Ban

Munch and Stranger. GET! :D

I'd buy AO and AE again if they were redone in HD, but I've got the original discs here which I still cherish so I don't see the worth in buying them again.

Now to see if I can brute force AA on these gits (and try to control Munch without a controller...) when they're downloaded. :)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone else getting horrible framerates out of Stranger's Wrath? It stays at about 15-20 fps.

This might only be because I'm running it in windowed mode but I can't seem to run widescreen content in full screen while keeping the aspect ratio with the new Catalyst drivers.

Edit: Nope. Still runs at 24 fps and below in fullscreen

Edit #2: Some interesting tidbits from the Readme.

Low Resolution = 800 x 600
Medium Resolution = 1024 x 768
High Resolution = 1280 x 960
Ultra Resolution = 1600 x 1200

And it seems the game is running using OpenGL 3 rather than using Direct X. Which is funny because they said they had trouble porting it from the Xbox to using Direct X :D

szaromir

Banned
Easy_D said:
Anyone else getting horrible framerates out of Stranger's Wrath? It stays at about 15-20 fps.

This might only be because I'm running it in windowed mode but I can't seem to run widescreen content in full screen while keeping the aspect ratio with the new Catalyst drivers.

That's disappointing. What's your rig? Either way, you'd expect an uprezed Xbox game to run better than that.

Having my own set of problems with Stranger's Wrath:

I game at 1680x1050 w/ a 5870. It says "Display Mode Failed" when I try to enter game in Ultra. I backpedaled a bit from Ultra, not knowing exactly what it meant, and just launched on High.

The game launches fine until the main screen where the text/options are a garbled mess.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
szaromir said:
That's disappointing. What's your rig? Either way, you'd expect an uprezed Xbox game to run better than that.
It might have a 30fps lock. So the first thing to do is to disable any vsync. If that's not an option then it may help to enable triple buffering.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
To answer both of your questions.

I'm gaming on a HD5870 1gB, 4gB RAM and a E8500 C2D @ 3.16ghz.
Plenty for an old Xbox port I'd say.

And no Vsync enabled so nothing's messing that up :(

Edit: Made sure it was off by forcing the drivers to turn it off so no Vsync was on. Oh and the game crashes upon exiting so you have to open the task manager to quit it if you're not using Windowed mode (Which you should because the resolutions it supports are..odd)

Pretty lousy first impression. Hopefully they can sort the problems out fast. It could also just be the new Catalyst drivers being shit, you never know with ATI.

Easy_D said:
To answer both of your questions.

I'm gaming on a HD5870 1gB, 4gB RAM and a E8500 C2D @ 3.16ghz.
Plenty for an old Xbox port I'd say.

And no Vsync enabled so nothing's messing that up :(

That's my exact rig, except my e8500 is OC'd to 3.8.

JADS

Easy_D said:

Edit #2: Some interesting tidbits from the Readme.

And it seems the game is running using OpenGL 3 rather than using Direct X. Which is funny because they said they had trouble porting it from the Xbox to using Direct X :D

What? No custom resolution? No 16:9? That's extremely disappointing ...

wwm0nkey

JADS said:
What? No custom resolution? No 16:9? That's extremely disappointing ...
Will be added in the PS3 upgrades path we will be getting, for now this is a straight port of the Xbox version.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fiddling around a bit, it runs much better but not as good as expected in the lowest resolution (800x600)

Turns out the game isn't capped at 30 while in game. In fact, there's no cap at all. It just runs like shit in higher resolutions.

JADS

wwm0nkey said:
Will be added in the PS3 upgrades path we will be getting, for now this is a straight port of the Xbox version.

Guess I will wait until the PS3 upgrades hit before touching the game:lol

epmode

TERRIBLE Wrath performance here too. ~10 FPS. Windows 7 64, Nvidia 9800 GTX, should be able to smoke the game.

The customization options are pretty pathetic too, but at least it has native 360 pad support.

scitek

Question for ATi owners. When I tick "Enable GPU Scaling", the option to "Maintain Aspect Ratio" is greyed out with "Scale image to full panel size" ticked instead. Any idea how to change that? I hate stretched 4:3.

greyedumfk.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
JADS said:
Guess I will wait until the PS3 upgrades hit before touching the game:lol
Me too, unless they fix it :D. I doubt they'll let it out like this without doing anything. Unless this is just an ATI issue. Any Nvidia people having issues? Or ATI people without issues and older drivers?

Edit: Scitek, nope, not since the newest Catalyst Control Center preview + new drivers anyway :/

JADS

scitek said:
Question for ATi owners. When I tick "Enable GPU Scaling", the option to "Maintain Aspect Ratio" is greyed out with "Scale image to full panel size" ticked instead. Any idea how to change that? I hate stretched 4:3.

AMD's aspect ratio settings is retarded. What you need to do is drop to a lower non 16x9 resolution before you can change the aspect ratio settings.

Top Bottom