• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath goes HD (PSN)

Only Oddworld I've played, and I loved what I played.

I will certainly get it. If it comes out on the PC as well, I might get it there, too.

I heard there was supposed to be a twist near the middle of the game. I made a point not to spoil it, and I'm glad I didn't!

Falt

Ah, balls!

I found my original copy of Strangers Wrath while moving house back in January. Popped it into my 360 only to find out it's not backwards compatible (even after downloading 2-3 updates) and now this?!

Once again, balls!

Sean

Banned

Fox1304

Never peaked my interest since didn't own a X-Box at this time, but now ... on PS3, and with support, Wrath gets all my interest !

poweld

Fox1304 said:
Never piqued my interest since didn't own a X-Box at this time, but now ... on PS3, and with support, Wrath gets all my interest !
:( :)

Also, looking forward to playing this for the first time in pretty HD. I remember reading all the buzz back in the day, but never got around to it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm excited to sit down and play this through. But now with Move support, the proposition is all the sweeter.

FOOTE

Yes! :D

I missed it's initial release, and have kicked myself anytime I look thru my last-gen games for something to play. Cannot wait for this one.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Interesting. That's one of the few games from last generation that everyone talked about but I never had a chance to play.

Good news.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hmmm... I wonder how long the game is. I'd probably bite if it's $10-$15

Fox1304

poweld said:
And this, ladies and gentlemen is what occurs when you type after having spent an entire day coding some shit for work, and without being from an english-speaking country !
Thanks for the rectification ^^

wwm0nkey

Holy fuck yes! Seriously I absolutely LOVED this game beyond, this and Psychonaughts where my two top games of last gen.

TheOddOne

LiquidMetal14 said:
Kind of pimps the PSN though so I would assume so at this point.

Should be edited into the title.
Yeah, maby a timed thing?

OTLEY, WEST YORKSHIRE, UK – 3rd September, 2010 – Just Add Water (JAW) is thrilled to announce the return of the critically-acclaimed Oddworld series – with an enhanced remake of the award-winning Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath coming to PlayStation®3 next Easter.

Originally released in 2005, first- and third-person action-adventure Stranger’s Wrath marks the multi-million-selling series’ first appearance on a PlayStation® console since 1998’s Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus. The game will be made available as a digital download via PlayStation® Network.

Stewart Gilray, Managing Director of JAW, said: “Since word got out that we’ve been working with Oddworld Inhabitants there have been many rumours circulating about what we’re working on. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath is the first project in what we believe will be a long and fruitful relationship. Having the chance to update this great title and release it on PS3 is just a brilliant opportunity, not least for us, but for the fans too.”

JAW has worked closely with Oddworld founders Lorne Lanning and Sherry McKenna to ensure the remake is faithful to the original moolah-chasing epic, while offering a raft of enhancements, including: stunning 720p visuals; much more detail in the characters; normal mapping and self-shadowing; re-mastered dialogue, support for PlayStation®Move; and additional bonus material still to be revealed.

In Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath, players step into the role of the Stranger, a rough and tumble bounty hunter who tracks down outlaws for moolah. Using a special weapons system that gives a whole new meaning to “live” ammo, players encounter deviant species and hostile challenges along the way.

The 2005 original has a Metacritic rating of 88, was nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Animation at the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences’ Interactive Achievement Awards, and received numerous awards from the gaming press.

Shurs

VG247 said:
VG247 can exclusively confirm that Oddworld developer Just Add Water is to release a revamped, HD version of Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath for PS3 next Easter. Get the first shots down below.

TheSixthAxis said:
TheSixthAxis is delighted to reveal the next step in Just Add Water’s Oddworld revamp with an “enhanced remake” of the award-winning Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath coming to PlayStation 3 next Easter.

Games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if the Move stuff is integrated as a full control scheme, or if that relates to the bonus material (e.g. bonus minigames)...

LiquidMetal14

GoldenHelmet said:
No, we didn't go for Pub Fund on this game :)
Enlighten us more oh wonderful being. Anything you can share with us would be greatly appreciated since we are kind of in the dark on the fine details. PhyreEngine? How the process has been on PS3? If you're at liberty to say, is it a timed exclusive? How did the process come about on deciding to bring this up to date with HD graphics? Move support, auto buy just due to that too btw!

V_Ben

Banned
IT
OddSWPS3_1.png

LOOKS
OddSWPS3_3.png

GREAT
OddSWPS3-2.jpg

Can't wait to give it a try :D

(Oh, and my story on it is up, in case you feel like reading the same facts from a different source)

bumpkin

OH FUCK YES! :D

I was just going to hope that the Odd Box was Mac compatible too (since I don't own a new-ish PC), but this will do just fine. I'm super psyched about this! Day fucking one.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'll stick with the Quadrilogy when it drops on Steam (no reason to buy the first two until the 4-pack comes with achievements).

Mr. Sam

YES! I was heartbroken when it turned out Stranger's Wrath wasn't compatible with the 360 - it's not, right? - but finally, an opportunity presents itself.

Still, I'd like to learn that there'll be a brand new Oddworld game in the future.

Edit:

Mohonky said:
Would buy on 360, don't play my PS3 enough to really warrant it.

Maybe of you bought it on the PS3, you'd play it enough to warrant it?

StuBurns

Banned
Never played it, will look forward to it. It'd be great if other publishers take note and possibly try to do something similar with some of their properties, for example BG&E.

LiquidMetal14

V_Ben said:

"The game will be released next Easter in 720p, with normal mapping, self shadowing, remastered dialogue and other current gen bells and whistles. The game will also have Move support, and other “additional material” (Just Add Water isn’t saying anything about what that means just yet)."

"This business has taken the form of a PSN remake of Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath, due out next Easter on the PSN store. This game marks the franchise’s first new installment released on the PlayStation family of consoles since 1998"

Should clear some things up.

Mohonky said:
Eh? No 360 release? Would buy on 360, don't play my PS3 enough to really warrant it.
This is about the silliest thing to say. Sell the damn thing if you don't want to play its offerings. I thought that's why we bought these systems, to enjoy each of the great exclusives.

V_Ben

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:

"The game will be released next Easter in 720p, with normal mapping, self shadowing, remastered dialogue and other current gen bells and whistles. The game will also have Move support, and other “additional material” (Just Add Water isn’t saying anything about what that means just yet)."

"This business has taken the form of a PSN exclusive remake of Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath, due out next Easter on the PSN store. This game marks the franchise’s first new installment released on the PlayStation family of consoles since 1998"

This is about the silliest thing to say. Sell the damn thing if you don't want to play its offerings. I thought that's why we bought these systems, to enjoy each of the great exclusives.

oops, added a little thing there, saying that its exclusive "as far as we know"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LiquidMetal14 said:

The exclusive bit is just V_Ben's take :p The original PR does not say its exclusive.

This should be the first of a number of oddworld related projects from JAW, across multiple platforms.

Top Bottom