• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Review Thread

Wow, surprised to see such good reviews - I figured this was one of those niche games that didnt get any coverage, let alone rave reviews

mcz117chief

I am a big fan of Dragon's Crown gameplay, music, art style and everything. Do you guys think I will enjoy this one? They do look pretty similar but at the same time something rubs me the wrong way about it.

CrazyHal

I never liked Odin Sphere (couldn't even be bother to beat it) but if this remaster does indeed fixes pretty much everything that was wrong with the original, i'm in.

CazTGG

Will post my (video) review when it's ready but here are some brief points:

-It's great that they included the original's mechanics for the sake of preserving a largely overlooked game on the PS2, even if it's more experimental than a success due to the combat being a chore and the boss battles both of the mini and main variety being even more frustrating than they are in the enhanced mode as they throw hordes of enemies your way.

-Lots of improvements. The level system is simplified, as is alchemy and psyphers, namely by way of a new skill tree for each respective character. If you had problems with the POW consumption in the original, you now only have to worry about it with Mercedes.

-This is easily Vanillaware's best looking game. Whatever else can be said about one's preference or lack thereof for Kamitani's unique interpretation of the human form (really hope I look half as good as Odin does when i'm in my eighties or older), the rendition of the characters, coupled with the magnificent multi-layered background, are a true feast for the eyes. Minor slowdown aside (I only encountered it once throughout my 40+ hour playtime on a very hectic screen), it's a silky smooth experience from beginning to end.

-It's a good thing these levels look as good as they do because, while they definitely boiled off a lot of fat off of the original, this game repeats rooms and bosses more than your best friend does their favorite jokes from Louis C.K., except this game does so over the course of roughly 40 hours. There's some minor variance with which rooms appear before which, which room has a key or skill, etc. but aside from that the levels feel largely the same. It suffers the same issue as Muramasa Rebirth did (and Genroku Legends avoided thanks to it brevity) in terms of the tedious backtracking and other mechanics that eat up more time than they should like the cooking and consuming of food i.e. why does it have to be one at a time when you have the ingredients for 2, 3, 4 of the same one/when you might unlock a new recipe upon consuming said food the third time/not having the fullness mechanic that Muramasa did?

-The portrayal of Gwendolyn as a literal prize/an object for Odin to hand over to Oswald for killing a dragon isn't exactly the stuff of romance...but at the same time a problematic depiction of a woman is standard for Vanillaware at this point. Not a good thing in of itself (by which I mean it's bad), but it's not necessarily a surprise when it's in the same game where a grandfather threatens to whip his granddaughter for being disobedient.

-On that note, the romance between Oswald the Unlucky Knight and Gwendolyn feels non-existant due to the most romantic thing the former does for the latter
after killing her sister, to boot, is give her a ring when Gwen doesn't seem like the materialistic kind of person to begin with
, especially when the game handles the other two main romances far better than this one.

-The combat is about what you'd expect from Vanillaware, smooth, centered on combos and functional, albeit Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir boasts a pretty extensive skill tree for all five main characters

-Unlocking the seventh book makes no sense in terms of the ongoing narrative i.e. the story literally being read by a little girl. This is a bit of a nitpick, but I couldn't help but be bugged by it given how the game structured the sixth one that has specific requirements to unlock it, not unless the final book is a choose your own adventure novel.

-The five stories showing different perspectives on the same conflict is well-done for the most part (the third book in particular is spectacular in that regard while simultaneously telling a compelling coming of age story), albeit the initial intrigue doesn't see a satisfying payoff come the (rushed) conclusion of the seventh book.

I do recommend it if you've already played through Genroku Legends and Dragon's Crown, especially if you've never played the original (and especially if you loved Genroku Legends since Odin Sphere is very much a blueprint for the various characters in that game, both in terms of gameplay and certain story bits), but I also feel those two games are better overall offerings by Vanillaware on (most of) the same systems OSL is currently on. Good game, but like Journey "it goes on and on and on and on".

Wereroku

Yeah, I could tell as much from all of the videos on YouTube showing gameplay from the Japanese release. I'm not sure why so many people took offense to my thread. It was a valid concern, and still is.

Wasn't that partially because the channel you linked was playing the super easy mode? Anyway yeah looks like hard is the way to go if you are at all experienced with games. It's odd they didn't adjust the AI except in Hell and New game+ mode.

Ridley327

This will be my third purchase of the game (PS2, PS2 download on PS3).. The demo showed enough for this to be a purchase.

Why no cross-buy? :(
There's never been a third party retail game with cross-buy. Sony doesn't even do it much these days themselves.

-The portrayal of Gwendolyn as a literal prize/an object for Odin to hand over to Oswald for killing a dragon isn't exactly the stuff of romance...but at the same time a problematic depiction of a woman is standard for Vanillaware at this point. Not a good thing in of itself (by which I mean it's bad), but it's not necessarily a surprise when it's in the same game where a grandfather threatens to whip his granddaughter for being disobedient.

-On that note, the romance between Oswald the Unlucky Knight and Gwendolyn feels non-existant due to the most romantic thing the former does for the latter
after killing her sister, to boot, is give her a ring when Gwen doesn't seem like the materialistic kind of person to begin with
, especially when the game handles the other two main romances far better than this one.

Gwendolyn and her relationship with Oswald are my only problem with the game's narrative. Her character growth - which I don't even think is growing towards a good place - is sudden and contrived, and she
sleeps through pretty much all the important events and thus has no understanding of what's actually happening.

WaterAstro

I disagree. Gwendolyn broke away from her role as an obedient Princess and fell in love with Oswald on her own volition despite being tricked by Odin. Gwendolyn is presented as a strong female type in this story. It's not sexist at all.

And Oswald didn't kill Griselda.

I am a big fan of Dragon's Crown gameplay, music, art style and everything. Do you guys think I will enjoy this one? They do look pretty similar but at the same time something rubs me the wrong way about it.

It's not quite the same set up or as high fantasy cool, but I think you would, yeah. The combat is very fast and agile, so think playing as the Elf, and there's some potion magic stuff that will feel a bit like Wizard/Sorceress. Everything flows together nicely in semi-mindless air juggling combos in a way that Dragon's Crown doesn't, and for what it lacks in loot, multiplayer and new game+ grind it makes up for in having a lot of separate story trees for the characters for it's long term play value.

Mr-Joker

Banned
This game seemed to have slipped past my radar but I plan to get the vita version, though it will have to be later in the year as it's releasing on the same day as Tokyo Mirage Session in Europe.

I've had this game in the back of my mind ever since it was announced but I've been torn on whether or not I should get it.

I really liked Muramasa Rebirth but I didn't like Dragon's Crown all that much. Which game is it more like?

CazTGG

I've had this game in the back of my mind ever since it was announced but I've been torn on whether or not I should get it.

I really liked Muramasa Rebirth but I didn't like Dragon's Crown all that much. Which game is more like?

Definitely more like Rebirth and Genroku Legends than Dragon's Crown due to the layout of each level and the backtracking/side objectives each includes like extra skills and recipes to unlock resembling the 2D Plat-tracker style the former two employ. If you liked that game but wished it was lengthier and had more variety in terms of play styles for characters, you'll love this game.

Definitely more like Rebirth and Genroku Legends than Dragon's Crown due to the layout of each level and the backtracking/side objectives each includes like extra skills and recipes to unlock resembling the 2D Plat-tracker style the former two employ. If you liked that game but wished it was lengthier and had more variety in terms of play styles for characters, you'll love this game.

Sweet, thanks.

The original style of gameplay is there right? So if I feel the game is too easy, I can switch over to the mechanics of the original release, right?

ScOULaris

The original style of gameplay is there right? So if I feel the game is too easy, I can switch over to the mechanics of the original release, right?
Yeah. The original version with HD graphics is on the disc as well. Just select Classic Mode from the start menu.

Shax

Neo Member
Graphics and art style look unique and amazing! I pre-ordered the storybook edition back in January, can't wait.

make sure you buy this and Grand Kingdom!

I had both on preorder, tried both the GK beta and Odin Sphere demo. Haven't really played many (any) JRPGs outside Final Fantasy.

I didn't like Grand Kingdom at all, way too much clicking and didn't like the combat system at all. Cancelled that pre order.

Odin Sphere is a bit more interesting, it feels ... weird... to me, the side scrolling system feels like a throwback but I liked the chars and fighting and levels. Hopefully its a little more complicated in release, in the demo I just spammed X and got through everything without really understanding any of the moves. Love the artwork though, the backgrounds are gorgeous. Still, I think after 10-15 hours I'd probably get bored of this game, but luckily there isn't really too much else to play right now so I'm keeping my story book Odin Sphere pre order.

Anyways point is I think unless people are big fans of the originals probably a good idea to check out the demos to decide for yourself, especially if you are unfamiliar with the games or genres like myself. Definitely very different from the usual FPS/action games I play.

ugh i don't want to complain about price but a remake at $60 is always a hard sell for me. especially if it's just one game in that package. I hope this will hit $20 by end of year used or on sale, going to have to wait until then.

Think I might save the $20 and go PSvita on this for now. Loved the demo and really fine tuned the gameplay imo. Actually fun to play. Only beat Gwen's first half before I could not be bothered to keep playing despite actually liking the game.

Kremzeek

I'm so happy Vanillaware decided to make Leifthrasir! Such great reviews- I hope this sells better than expectations so we can get a brand new Vanillaware game made!

I was going to wait for a price drop but I want to reward their efforts- going to preorder now.

Vanethyr

I'm so happy Vanillaware decided to make Leifthrasir! Such great reviews- I hope this sells better than expectations so we can get a brand new Vanillaware game made!

I was going to wait for a price drop but I want to reward their efforts- going to preorder now.

I hope the Vita one sells a lot and gives them an incentive to remaster and translate Grand Knights History for it.

Here's the UNBOXING VIDEO of my PS4 Storybook Edition.
Got the game two days ago but I'm busy with Overwatch. Lol

PS. Sorry that the video is not in English.

And here's a few pic if you guys want to see.

lKC4v8s.jpg

QEWsE2a.jpg

TfQI7N9.jpg

NJmlHrl.jpg

hJI5Yr5.jpg

qnYxLQh.jpg

doesn't they have that high school apocalyptic mecha game in development?

CazTGG

Yeah, I'm hopeful. I'll probably wait on gaffers impression's before pulling the trigger though.

FWIW: Of the 40+ hours I played of the Vita version, I only encountered slowdown once, that being during a trial stage. Safe to say it runs really well on the system.

Is this game longer or shorter than Dragon's Crown?

Hmmm

Im gonna say longer.. I mean they are similar in length if you play both to absolute completion of all content

And like Dragons Crown there is a degree of repitition with the assets.. though it might be less so in this remake with all the new content added

Here's the UNBOXING VIDEO of my PS4 Storybook Edition.
Got the game two days ago but I'm busy with Overwatch. Lol

Thanks for that unboxing video, that looks awesome!! Really glad you showed everything too, so many don't show the actual game case and I'm always curious if it includes a regular game case or just the disc in the steelbook.

I hate how all CEs now stamp "Not For Resale" on the back of their regular game case, makes it harder to trade the game in after I am done. Usually just end up trading the disc alone but then I feel bad for the person who ends up buying the used copy.

Top Bottom