• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen images of Splinter Cell 6 leaked by audio company

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
claviertekky said:
What you described felt like to me the early parts of the game. Later, I couldn't really exploit that.

Then you didn't utilize the going-grey mechanic to signify you were hidden. As it was EXTREMELY easy to abuse and get close to people to melee kill them to spot and mark three people with the best weapon/pistol in the game to make the game even easier.

The only good thing S&M/E did was liven up the co-op, but even then it made co-op extremely easy.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I don't mind SC: Convictions gameplay, I just wish they'd make a SC game like the rest, and put the SC: C gameplay in it's own game not named Splinter Cell

Angry Fork said:
I hope you won't be able to do this in SC6.
Fuck Conviction. Slow methodical Stealth > Jason Bourne BS. At least have the decency to change the name if you're going to change everything else.

oubih2.gif
See, I watch that and think "that looks bad ass."

Granted Conviction was my first Splinter Cell.

cackhyena

Me too. I really like the mark and execute thing. It just made it fun. I think that it should be tweaked to be less effective, overall. That and the ability to move from cover to cover the same way should be in there. Things like sound having nearly no effect when running or crawling fast so long as you are hidden, have to go.

skyfinch

Angry Fork said:
Fuck Conviction. Slow methodical Stealth > Jason Bourne BS. At least have the decency to change the name if you're going to change everything else.

Been a SC fan since day one, and yes, all those new elements in Conviction were over the top, but I ended up liking them.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind a more traditional SC. Still love the crap out of the mark and execute, though, but also miss hiding bodies.

Also, I want proper night vision, damn it. That was the one thing I missed the most in Conviction, and the funny thing is, one of SC's biggest feature had always been the night vision.

Anyone remember spy vs merc mode in SC pandora tomorrow? AWESOMENESS in video game form.
It's all gone downhill from there.
Ubisoft just don't have it anymore.

leroidys

SPIES VS MERCS
SPIES VS MERCS
SPIES VS MERCS
SPIES VS MERCS

plz

EDIT:

SneakyStephan said:
Anyone remember spy vs merc mode in SC pandora tomorrow? AWESOMENESS in video game form.
It's all gone downhill from there.
Ubisoft just don't have it anymore.

You mean the best multiplayer mode ever conceived? I may have heard of it.

Jb

ArjanN said:
I'll see you at the airfield E3, Fisher!
I saw what you did at the Lincoln memorial, Fisher. Beating that black guy in front of the statue of Abraham Lincoln? That was fucked up man!

The first three SC games were a ton more fun than that mess of a game that Conviction was, and they didn't need any of the shitty gimmicks it had.
Even the story was better. No more of that 24 conspiracy bullshit please.

derFeef

They need more images of Splinter Cell and Sam Fisher on the pictures so I can really, REALLY tell that this is a leak.

Chinner

Banned
I liked Conviction. It was different and stuff but it was fun. The chase level was a complete betrayal of the original vision of the series but it was an thrilling experience.

Angry Fork said:

oubih2.gif
Ahhh, Splinter Cell 1 manual, how quaint your ideas:

"Like a sliver of glass, a Splinter Cell is small, sharp, and nearly invisible. ... You must leave no trace on the physical or political map."

And:

""Sam's ability to operate covertly is his most valuable asset against overwhelming enemy forces."

Can't wait to see how they've sexed-up Thief 4, too.

Dabanton

ezekial45 said:
I actually really adored Conviction. If they can expand on that and up the stealth aspects, then I'll be happy.

Same here.

Conviction was great Deniable Op's especially 'Infiltration' was classic splinter Cell

Shake Appeal said:
Ahhh, Splinter Cell 1 manual, how quaint your ideas:

"Like a sliver of glass, a Splinter Cell is small, sharp, and nearly invisible. ... You must leave no trace on the physical or political map."

And:

""Sam's ability to operate covertly is his most valuable asset against overwhelming enemy forces."

Can't wait to see how they've sexed-up Thief 4, too.
There was mention in the books (I know) of a Splinter Cell being "a ghosts shadow" and if they did their job right "no one would ever know they were there".

-BLITZ-

Another one :))) .. I thought it was over. Well, I'm always welcome for a new Splinter Cell - Sam is back. I played all of them and indeed the last one had huge differences from the trilogy. Was too fast and having too many shorcuts as gameplay, movement, stealth and combat. Double Agent had some similarities too. No more competition in this new gen games anymore, finishing a mission in 20/25 minutes instead of hours.

As for the picture, if they are from the audio room means they are making a new teaser for the upcoming E3 or a trailer for Camescom. Those monitors with Sam aren't just arts or images, I can assume that.

Buttonbasher said:
There was mention in the books (I know) of a Splinter Cell being "a ghosts shadow" and if they did their job right "no one would ever know they were there".

YO FISHER, I KNOW YOU ARE THERE M-FUCKER!
WHERE'S FISHER?

Cue matrix style gunfight.

leroidys said:
SPIES VS MERCS
SPIES VS MERCS
SPIES VS MERCS
SPIES VS MERCS

plz

south_park_stan.jpg

-BLITZ-

What I've noticed just now is that, there is no second title like in Splinter Cell Conviction for example. A reboot of the first ?! Oh, that will be great.

i really liked Conviction too. But i've never played the games before, they just didn't peak my interest enough.

I am looking forward to that Splinter Cell Trilogy to see what they are all about :D

The mark&execute and the ghost image of Fisher were really cool new ideas for a third person shooter. They get my seal of approval. Sure the marking of enemies made it easier but then again Fisher is supposed to be a superagent, he should be able to clear a roomful of enemies in a split second regardless of my personal gamepad skillz. (maybe could do some of those hits with a mouse&keyboard)

Megasoum said:
Thief 4 is not an Ubisoft game... Unless you meant that in a more "at large" kinda statement.
When I say "they", you can usually take it to mean "the games industry at large with the exception of the, like, two developers who don't secretly wish they were working on a movie set somewhere, servicing Bruckheimer between takes".

Angry Fork said:

oubih2.gif

I also prefer the true stealth approach, but if you have both the option of playing like in prior SC games and taking enemies out Conviction style, I don't see the problem.

I mean what's particularly egregious about that gif is not just how counter to the spirit of the series it is, it's the fact that all of what you see takes maybe six button presses coordinated with heavy autoaim, and Sam unflinchingly goes about his canned animations despite surely being more lead than flesh by the time it's over.

It's like, what's the point? Can't you just watch The Bourne Identity while holding your gamepad up to the screen? The graphics will be better.

nice.

that's pretty darn stupid by that company if that's really a leak. and it looks like it. OOoooh yeah.

Shake Appeal said:
I mean what's particularly egregious about that gif is not just how counter to the spirit of the series it is, it's the fact that all of what you see takes maybe six button presses coordinated with heavy autoaim, and Sam unflinchingly goes about his canned animations despite surely being more lead than flesh by the time it's over.

It's like, what's the point? Can't you just watch The Bourne Identity while holding your gamepad up to the screen? The graphics will be better.

damon.jpg

PetriP-TNT said:
I call this being a reboot and launching with "Splinter Cell" as the title

Yup.

Isn't this what Jade Raymond and that massive Toronto flagship studio is doing, with some high-talent old school Splinter Cell dudes?

Dilly

Banned
Make it like Chaos Theory and introduce a new character. Sam Fisher had enough games, even though I like him.

Screw Conviction.

NinjaBoiX

Angry Fork said:

oubih2.gif
WTF with the needless spoiler tags recently? They should be for "spoilers" only, as in, not for random sentences that won't harm anyone's enjoyment of the game whatsoever.
/rant
On topic, I love me some Splinter Cell, and have yet to be disappointed. Conviction was a decent (if slightly clumsy (see that, brackets, all the cool kids are usin' 'em)) installment, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want some OG Fisher back in effect.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
cackhyena said:
I really like the mark and execute thing. It just made it fun.

No, no.

You know what's fun? Actually feeling like you're vulnerable and in danger, and having to think very carefully about your next move if you want to make it through the mission alive without compromising your objectives.

And if it all suddenly goes tits up, you run like hell and find whatever you can to hide behind, praying you don't get spotted, while becoming so immersed in the game that you don't even want to breathe for fear of giving yourself away.

That is what Splinter Cell should be.

NinjaBoiX

thelatestmodel said:
No, no.

You know what's fun? Actually feeling like you're vulnerable and in danger, and having to think very carefully about your next move if you want to make it through the mission alive without compromising your objectives.

And if it all suddenly goes tits up, you run like hell and find whatever you can to hide behind, praying you don't get spotted, while becoming so immersed in the game that you don't even want to breathe for fear of giving yourself away.

Nicely put man. Tweet this to Jade Raymond post haste!

Grisby

thelatestmodel said:
No, no.

But the immersion works both ways as well. What happens if I want to feel like a real super spy Bourne guy? Splinter Cell Conviction actually made me feel like I was the predator for once. I love the previous SC's but getting caught and having to run around to a shadowed place in order to proceed again was getting a bit old.

I'd like it if they had more stealth options sure but I wouldn't mind another Conviction.

claviertekky said:
What you described felt like to me the early parts of the game. Later, I couldn't really exploit that.

I thought Chaos Theory was easier in terms of finding the shadows. This game doesn't utilize it at all.

If the game is Jason Bourne, make it feel so, because my Sam Fisher died a lot.

I had to watch that NSA infiltration blowing up cutscene like 20 times because I couldn't just run up to the guy and kill him. When I was aiming, the guy would eat quite a lot of bullets.

What about the military base? The NSA infiltration (fuck those hard to see laser beams)? The sewers and helicopter? Died so many times there. I really did not like it. I saw the loading save-state screen at least 1/5 of the time playing this game. I can hear that 4 (I think) note tune in fixed Do that plays in the background while the screen loads. D -> Bb -> F -> D. That got burned into my mind playing this game.

I didn't like this game as I thought I would.

The problem is, the Jason Bourne style would fit. But Jason Bourne is impressive because he does all those crazy ass plans and actions himself (in the fiction). To translate that into a game the worst thing they could do is to actually take that control away from the player. Instead of letting the player perform those actions they streamlined it away so that the game becomes the badass instead of the player feeling like one. Bourne amazes because of 3 simple things: Speed, thinking and skill. Neither was required or even supported in Conviction at any given point in the game.

Mark and Execute had to be one of the most retarded design choices and one of the poorest implementation of cinematic gameplay ever. Not only that, but the game had unlimited enemy spawn points...

In Conviction, thinking was the last thing you needed to do. Just jump around like a freaking 20 year old, instead of an old disgruntled ex spy, and paint some enemies to later execute them in a boring cutscene.

I am a hardcore fan of Splinter Cell 1-3. But with Double Agent and Conviction, I am not sure if I will spend another dime on this series anymore.
Grisby said:
But the immersion works both ways as well. What happens if I want to feel like a real super spy Bourne guy? Splinter Cell Conviction actually made me feel like I was the predator for once. I love the previous SC's but getting caught and having to run around to a shadowed place in order to proceed again was getting a bit old.

I'd like it if they had more stealth options sure but I wouldn't mind another Conviction.

The problem is, that the old games just were terrible when it came to gunplay or shooting, or any offensive maneuvers at all to be honest. That's actually the only thing that I hold in favor of Conviction. But instead of fixing the controls, adjust the gameplay a bit and fix the terrible hit detection and the clunky ass Item management, they took the entire offensive control away from the player, added some stupid ass AI on top of the game, and made the game a shooter.

Like I said, Bourne uses his wits and muscles to get out of trouble or to hunt people down, not auto aiming MP5s.

Dabanton

Grisby said:

Exactly some people make it sound like and like you HAD to use the tag system it was optional.

You want to play it like the old games you could. Deniable Ops had all the 'old school' Splinter Cell play you wanted. Some great maps in that mode actually hard and on the higher difficulties a real challenge.

rvy

Banned
I like Bourne, so I was alright with Conviction. It's only fault is that it was called Splinter Cell. Ubi should have just created a new ip starring a "washed-out" super agent and go from there.
On the other hand... Double Agent was hardly memorable stuff. On both Xbox platforms.

Dabanton said:
You want to play it like the old games you could. Deniable Ops had all the 'old school' Splinter Cell play you wanted. Some great maps in that mode actually hard and on the higher difficulties a real challenge.
Come on, that's not really true. It's the exact same argument that MGS 4 lovers state when people criticize the less than stealthy approach. Conviction is designed around the basis that you're a hunter and you kill anything that moves when it's advantageous, which is almost all the time.

kuYuri

Dabanton said:
Exactly some people make it sound like and like you HAD to use the tag system it was optional.

This. I love when people whine about M&E as if someone is twisting their arm to force them to use it.

Deniable Ops on Infiltration mode + Realistic difficulty + no gadgets, pistol only + no M&E should be a challenge.

Top Bottom