• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Amazon Acquires Twitch for $970 million in cash

Vidpixel

It's not false, you simply haven't experienced them. They are demonstrably true, since the articles that mentioned these sorts of practices haven't even been denied by Amazon. They often simply say it's part of improving efficiency, and that employees are treated plenty fine. Like I said, these experiences are echoed in many articles from many other employees. There's endless accounts, many covered by many legitimate media outlets. It's one of the major PR issues Amazon is dealing with every day because the reports are so pervasive. So, while I certainly believe you, I believe it is an exception to the rule.

Again, this is why I say one report doesn't matter, nobodies individual report matters in accounting how the company treats employees on average. Not that your experience doesn't -matter- in the universal sense, but just not when trying to analyze things from an objective perspective. That requires full analysis of all reports, and categorization of which fall into the 'negative' and which fall into the 'positive'. Even a cursory non-scientific glance at this issue will show an overwhelming amount of energy is being poured into demonstrating how negative working at Amazon can be. When you look at the fullness of the reporting in this case, it's extremely damning. Virtually every employee article on Amazon is negative, and Amazon even acknowledges some of these practices in the name of efficiency.

I mean I'm glad you and the other dude don't experience that. I'm sure there's more exceptions on neoGAF, as there are probably everywhere. I hope that continues to be the case for you. I mean I'd already be against them for the grotesque way in which they shut down Unionization efforts, but the near endless reports from employees - both long-term and short-term - has been egregious. I hope for your sake and the other guy's sake that you can maintain a healthy outlook for the job, and that your warehouse can treat you right.

Side Note: because of the size of Amazon, they have Warehouses that are specific to many types of things, and there are different practices for different ones. A local Amazon warehouse deals predominately in baby diapers and the like, for example. This accounts for some of the variance, as does the normal ebb and flow of all giant companies - some places are always going to be worse than others.

Oh, believe me, it certainly isn't perfect. I suppose I should have prefaced my statement by saying I only work part-time, so I don't have to endure the long 8 to 10 hour workdays some might have to. But for the work I do, I think the benefits are pretty generous.

I have to think lots! In past memory, there have been a lot who have made threads about MS ducking out and who would take their place. Common names I've heard are Apple and Amazon. With Amazon's music, movie, and most of all web hosting/server services, I'm not surprised in the slightest. I think there's a decent chunk out there who would feel the same as me.
Not being surprised and prediction are two different things. I'm asking who or what site specifically said amazon would be the ones to do this. Yes, we've been speculating on who would replace who should someone drop out, but that is just speculation at the end of the day. I'm saying that I'm surprised, not because it doesn't make sense, but because I didn't see it coming. I can't think of a single post here that has, or article that thought this would happen.

It makes good sense, but so do a million other things in this industry that never took place.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Not being surprised and prediction are two different things. I'm asking who or what site specifically said amazon would be the ones to do this. Yes, we've been speculating on who would replace who should someone drop out, but that is just speculation at the end of the day. I'm saying that I'm surprised, not because it doesn't make sense, but because I didn't see it coming. I can't think of a single post here that has, or article that thought this would happen.

It makes good sense, but so do a million other things in this industry that never took place.

Sometimes people who post on GAF aren't as connected as they thought they were. Or (more specifically) they decided to not post on GAF about this particular transaction.

RobbieNick

Amazon over youtube and Google any day. At least there's less of a chance of streams being affected by copyright bullshit.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I wonder what the implications of a game publisher owning twitch would be. Amazon seems to be wanting to get involved with games recently quite a bit

Top Bottom