• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Ranger X

Iam Canadian said:
Even if completely dropping VC support was entirely Hudson's idea (and that's a rather big assumption itself), I still blame NOA because it's their shoddy handling and complete lack of advertising for the VC that likely drove Hudson to abandon it in the first place. It's quite frustrating how Nintendo is squandering this potentially amazing service.

There. That's why we are constantly complaining. Nintendo simply are sleeping at the wheel of potential + they don't care because they are drowning in cash already.

If you guys are serious, you guys are a joke. When both WiiWare and VC were releasing a great many games, you were singing the praises of the services. After that, when releases trickled down, you were bitching and moaning. After that, when releases started to pick up, you were bitching and moaning. Now, you're back to bitching and moaning. It's pathetic, especially over such a small thing. There's no larger sense of continuity or perspective, as if the success of the services hinge on every week's releases. Several so-so releases on a weekly basis makes the whole thing a lost cause all of a sudden? To me, it's just weird and anal. It's roller-coaster with you people.

Hobbun

Htown said:
Jeez you people are whiny as hell. The VAST majority of the best games available for the systems on Virtual Console are right there to download, but all you can do is bitch. And when a great game comes out, instead of being like, "Awesome!"you're like "yeah but where is X?"

I really wanted to see Faxanadu, and download the Adventure Island games, as believe it or not, I have never played them. But so much for that as Hudson is gone.

But there are a lot of games that are missing that I would like to see yet. Although most are from SE as I am an RPG nut.

Illusion of Gaia
Soul Blazer
Terranigma
Localized version of Seiken Denetsu III (yes, I know, is never going to happen :( )
The Seventh Saga
Lufia 1 & 2 (Both were published by Taito for NA, but from my understanding SE bought Taito)
Secret of Evermore
Dragon Warrior I-III

Another game I would like to see is Crystalis. I believe it was published by SNK, so I would think we should see it eventually as we have gotten SNK figthing games from the Neo Geo already.

Ranger X

TheGrayGhost said:
If you guys are serious, you guys are a joke. When both WiiWare and VC were releasing a great many games, you were singing the praises of the services. After that, when releases trickled down, you were bitching and moaning. After that, when releases started to pick up, you were bitching and moaning. Now, you're back to bitching and moaning. It's pathetic, especially over such a small thing. There's no larger sense of continuity or perspective, as if the success of the services hinge on every week's releases. Several so-so releases on a weekly basis makes the whole thing a lost cause all of a sudden? To me, it's just weird and anal. It's roller-coaster with you people.

I'm one of the biggest whiner and I'm not part of what you're telling there.
Personally i've always been signing that NOA should upload AT LEAST 2 games on the VC each week. They are uselessly restraining their updates. They have awfully enough stuff to update at my suggested speed. I don't care if it's good games or not, I care to have a choice when there's an update that's all. For people that doesn't follow the updates it doesn't matter of course. I also hate the lack of support/advertising from Nintendo. No matter why publishers will quit the service. Hudson is only the beginning.

Anyhow, just saying not put all the whiners in the same bag. I agree there's alot of unwarranted complaining outta here.

jarrod

Banned
Hobbun said:
I really wanted to see Faxanadu, and download the Adventure Island games, as believe it or not, I have never played them. But so much for that as Hudson is gone.
Again, Hudson doesn't control NES or SNES releases. They've already licensed those libraries to Nintendo, so it'll be up to Nintendo if we see these games.

TheGrayGhost said:
Actually, since we stayed bitching and moaning, that's not a roller coaster. That's a train that's just gone down a hill. :p

Hobbun said:
Lufia 1 & 2 (Both were published by Taito for NA, but from my understanding SE bought
Both were published by Taito in Japan, but by Natsume in America.
Another game I would like to see is Crystalis. I believe it was published by SNK, so I would think we should see it eventually as we have gotten SNK figthing games from the Neo Geo already.

All those Neo Geo games were published by D4, who are handling everything related to the Neo Geo from what I understand. VC has received no SNK games on other platforms, and D4's only non Neo Geo games were Zanac and Lunar Pool, both originally developed by Compile.

Nintendo may also have bought the rights to NES Crystalis in order to make the GBC port.

The nightmare scenario for Crystalis is that Nintendo indeed owns the rights and considers NST's shoddy work to have rendered the original obsolete.

jarrod said:
Again, Hudson doesn't control NES or SNES releases. They've already licensed those libraries to Nintendo, so it'll be up to Nintendo if we see these games.

jarrod - see the back & forth between me and Capndrake earlier this thread. Given the paucity of Hudson NES & SNES titles over the past year, I'm inclined to believe him, but we won't know for sure until another Hudson NES/SNES title hits, or there is an official explanation.

I wonder how many people complaining about the updates to releases have actually sat down and beat all the games they've dled. While there are certainly stretches with hardly any good games (and just bizarre releases like the NeoGeo stuff, yes, they're better emulations, no I'm not paying 9 bucks for one version of World Heroes) the sheer amount of good stuff out there should keep most people busy for a while...right?

For example, not taking into account all the stuff I've got since the Wii came out (which is like 60 or so WiiWare and VC titles), last week I got a 20 dollar card because I had to have Musha. I haven't dled anything in a while, so with the extra points I got Castlevania 3 and Earthworm Jim. Surely by the time I master these games another must have will have come out. So yeah, another ho hum week, maybe even month but there's still plenty of good stuff out there.

So the other thread is for talking what is on the VC, while this thread is for talking what is not on the VC?

MUSHA was one of the games I had wanted from the very beginning of the service. Now that it has finally arrived, I'll list some other Megadrive games I would definitely buy:

Crusader of Centy
Ranger X
Wings of War/Gynoug
Gaiares
Eliminate Down
Panorama Cotton

jarrod

Banned
FFantasyFX said:
jarrod - see the back & forth between me and Capndrake earlier this thread. Given the paucity of Hudson NES & SNES titles over the past year, I'm inclined to believe him, but we won't know for sure until another Hudson NES/SNES title hits, or there is an official explanation.
Nope, we already know how Nintendo platform VC picks work. Nintendo licenses the whole catalogue, then picks what to release themselves. We found this out when people were bombarding Capcom with requests about Bionic Commando on VC.

What Hudson controls is simply their own formats on the service. In essence, Hudson, Sega, D4 and Commodore are the only VC 3rd parties.

leroy hacker said:
All those Neo Geo games were published by D4, who are handling everything related to the Neo Geo from what I understand. VC has received no SNK games on other platforms, and D4's only non Neo Geo games were Zanac and Lunar Pool, both originally developed by Compile.

Nintendo may also have bought the rights to NES Crystalis in order to make the GBC port.

The nightmare scenario for Crystalis is that Nintendo indeed owns the rights and considers NST's shoddy work to have rendered the original obsolete.
Waaaaaaay back we found out from Ben Herman that Nintendo had licensed SNKP's NES & SNES lineups (this was way back before NeoGeo on VC happened, and the revelation actually came in response to question about getting Neo games on the service). So it's likely already in Nintendo's court if we see Crystalis.

D4 also handles MSX on VC btw.

jarrod

Banned
leroy hacker said:
So the other thread is for talking what is on the VC, while this thread is for talking what is not on the VC?

MUSHA was one of the games I had wanted from the very beginning of the service. Now that it has finally arrived, I'll list some other Megadrive games I would definitely buy:

Crusader of Centy
Ranger X
Wings of War/Gynoug
Gaiares
Eliminate Down
Panorama Cotton
Add in Pulseman and Monster World IV for me!

I'd snap up Ranger X or Centy in a hot second.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
TheGrayGhost said:

I ask for no more of the VC than what Nintendo has shown themselves capable of delivering. Nintendo themselves set the bar when they were putting out three VC games per week; even if I wasn't interested in any of the games, I appreciated it for the people who are interested in those games. I complain when NOA doesn't release games that are out in other territories and have English translations or when they don't release games that have languished on the ESRB site for months. None of my complaints, I think, are unreasonable.

One thing I do want Nintendo do that they haven't, however, is advertise and try to draw mainstream attention to the VC. Maybe if it receives more exposure, Nintendo might be more interested in treating it properly.

Hobbun

leroy hacker said:
Both were published by Taito in Japan, but by Natsume in America.

Actually, we are both right. The first Lufia (Fortress of Doom) was published by Taito in both Japan and NA. Where the second game (Rise of the Sinistrals) was published by Nastume in NA. What is Natsume's stance in regards to the VC?

leroy hacker said:

Well, that would suck if NOA decided not to release Crystalis because they felt it was too inferior. Crystalis may have had its problems, but it was a very fun game. I would hate to see it not make the VC.

Hobbun

jarrod said:
Nope, we already know how Nintendo platform VC picks work. Nintendo licenses the whole catalogue, then picks what to release themselves. We found this out when people were bombarding Capcom with requests about Bionic Commando on VC.

What Hudson controls is simply their own formats on the service. In essence, Hudson, Sega, D4 and Commodore are the only VC 3rd parties.

So Nintendo has also bought the licenses to release Square Enix's games as well?

jarrod said:
Waaaaaaay back we found out from Ben Herman that Nintendo had licensed SNKP's NES & SNES lineups (this was way back before NeoGeo on VC happened, and the revelation actually came in response to question about getting Neo games on the service). So it's likely already in Nintendo's court if we see Crystalis.

Well, I hope Nintendo decides to bring Crystalis over then.

jarrod

Banned
Hobbun said:
Actually, we are both right. The first Lufia (Fortress of Doom) was published by Taito in both Japan and NA. Where the second game (Rise of the Sinistrals) was published by Nastume in NA. What is Natsume's stance in regards to the VC?
They've licensed their games to Nintendo (Harvest Moon) and Hudson (Dead Moon) at least. I'm still unclear how rights on localizations play out though... but we got Harvest Moon (Marvelous IP & game design, Natsume localization and US name rights) so that's promising.

I'd seriously kill for more Natsume games on VC though, probably more than any other dev. Especially their SNES stuff (Pocky & Rocky 1-2, Ninja Warriors, Wild Guns, etc).

Iam Canadian

Hobbun said:

Well, we did get the SNES Harvest Moon.

jarrod

Banned
Hobbun said:
So Nintendo has also bought the licenses to release Square Enix's games as well?
Yep.

I should also say though that I doubt Nintendo has full 100% say forever on getting games. I'm sure if Hudson asked Nintendo to hold off releasing their NES/SNES stuff for awhile, Nintendo would do it.

Hobbun

jarrod said:
Yep.

I should also say though that I doubt Nintendo has full 100% say forever on getting games. I'm sure if Hudson asked Nintendo to hold off releasing their NES/SNES stuff for awhile, Nintendo would do it.

Not that I am saying you are wrong, you could very well be right. But where did you hear about Nintendo buying all the licensing rights from each of the 3rd party companies to release their games on the VC?

I only ask because I would figure publishers would have a hard time signing away their licensing rights, even if it is for a dowload service.

Is there a list that is accessible to the public? If we can see the list of publishers, then we would have a good idea which publishers (games) would be making it to the VC.

jarrod

Banned
Hobbun said:
Not that I am saying you are wrong, you could very well be right. But where did you hear about Nintendo buying all the licensing rights from each of the 3rd party companies to release their games on the VC?

I only ask because I would figure publishers would have a hard time signing away their licensing rights, even if it is for a dowload service.

Is there a list that is accessible to the public? If we can see the list of publishers, then we would have a good idea which publishers (games) would be making it to the VC.
Ben Judd (Capcom USA) and Ben Herman (SNK Playmore USA) have both mentioned it before indirectly. Nintendo approaches 3rd parties to license their catalogs, and Nintendo handles everything themselves (emulation, manuals, bug testing, scheduling). It's assumed 3rd party platforms (Sega with SMS/Gensis, D4 with MSX/NeoGeo, Hudson with TG16/CD, Commodore with C64) are being handled the same way (by the platform holders).

The only list of publishers I've seen was from before Wii launch. It was like 40-some Japanese publishers, though we know more have been added since (like Interplay).

Why do I get the feeling that next week Nintendo is going to release like Earthbound or something and suddenly everyone will love VC again?

Nintendo: release Earthbound and everyone will love VC again

d+pad

So, does Hudson handle the PC-Engine releases on VC in Japan? If so, it seems weird that they would drop support in the US and not in Japan (since they're releasing WiiWare titles in both territories).

Anyway, if it's true that Hudson won't be supporting VC in the U.S. for some time, I may have to pick up a Japanese Wii at some point. I've already been thinking about it for games like Ghouls and Ghosts (Super Grafx) and Parasol Stars (PC-E), not to mention various PC-Engine CD games that'll never come out over hear (Dracula X anyone?) and SF titles like Panel de Pon...

You know, Hudson could easily start releasing VC games again down the line. Once they've run out of Wii Ware games to release and/or Nintendo increase the amount of VC games they release per week, there's nothing stopping them from releasing games again.

I'm sure they wouldn't be ones to pass up free money, but with NOA and NOE's reduced VC scheduals (Note how their VC support hasn't stopped in Japan where they still get 3 VC game weeks) it probably makes sense for them to cut back for now.

jarrod

Banned
Actually, thinking about it more, it looks like Interplay has only licensed their stuff to Sega? None of their NES/SNES games are up for release. :/

I found the old list of pre-launch 3rd parties Nintendo signed too btw...

-Konami
-Atlus
-D4 Enterprise
-Masaya
-Capcom
-SEGA
-Sunsoft
-Jaleco
-Tecmo
-Taito
-Kemco
-Takara Tomy
-Chunsoft
-Bandai Namco Games
-Square Enix
-HAL Laboratory
-Banpresto
-Paon
-Hudson
-IREM
-NetFarm
-Enetrbrain
-Koei

...obviously more have signed on since (Natsume notably).

Nuclear Muffin said:
and/or Nintendo increase the amount of VC games they release per week,

Bwahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahah . . .

*keels over dead with ruptured spleen after uproarious and uncontrollable burst of laughter*

jarrod

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
(Note how their VC support hasn't stopped in Japan where they still get 3 VC game weeks)
Japan's slowed too. They used to regularly get 4-6 game weeks... I remember when we used to bitch about getting "only" 3 games a week. :lol

*braces self for 0 game week*

Christopher

Honestly, all I want is Majroa's Mask. I'm sure all of the good games have been released then (nintendo ones).

p.s. - There's not going to be Earthbound, when they took it out of Brawl's demos that should have been the best indicator.

jarrod

Banned
Christopher said:
Honestly, all I want is Majroa's Mask. I'm sure all of the good games have been released then (nintendo ones).

p.s. - There's not going to be Earthbound, when they took it out of Brawl's demos that should have been the best indicator.
Japan hasn't gotten it either. I think there might've been a last second rights snafu with Itoi.

For Nintendo's own games, the only titles I'd want still besides MM would be emulation dependant (ie: SFX/2 chipped Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, etc) or imports that wouldn't prove much in terms of localization (F-Zero X-pansion, Mario & Wario, etc).

Iam Canadian

jarrod said:
Japan hasn't gotten it either. I think there might've been a last second rights snafu with Itoi.

If there is a rights dispute, it didn't stop Sakurai from including a Mother 2 demo with the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Nor did it stop the GBA Mother 1+2 rereleases, for that matter.

Hobbun

Iam Canadian said:
If there is a rights dispute, it didn't stop Sakurai from including a Mother 2 demo with the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Nor did it stop the GBA Mother 1+2 rereleases, for that matter.

I heard it had something to do with a song or scene in Earthbound that was too controversial and Nintendo felt it would have been too much work/money to edit out so they decided not to release the game.

But this was almost a year ago, I don't know if that has changed.

Hobbun

jarrod said:
Ben Judd (Capcom USA) and Ben Herman (SNK Playmore USA) have both mentioned it before indirectly. Nintendo approaches 3rd parties to license their catalogs, and Nintendo handles everything themselves (emulation, manuals, bug testing, scheduling). It's assumed 3rd party platforms (Sega with SMS/Gensis, D4 with MSX/NeoGeo, Hudson with TG16/CD, Commodore with C64) are being handled the same way (by the platform holders).

The only list of publishers I've seen was from before Wii launch. It was like 40-some Japanese publishers, though we know more have been added since (like Interplay).

Interesting. So do the 3rd party companies license ALL of their games from the get go to Nintendo or is it game by game or by series (like Final Fantasy)?

Iam Canadian

Hobbun said:
I heard it had something to do with a song or scene in Earthbound that was too controversial and Nintendo felt it would have been too much work/money to edit out so they decided not to release the game.

There's nothing in Earthbound that could be considered to be even half as controversial as some of the characters and events in Mother 3. I do remember reading something about copyright disputes regarding a certain song (the New Age Retro Hippie battle song) but again...hasn't stopped Nintendo from releasing Mother 1+2 or the Mother 2 demo in Brawl.

Hobbun

Iam Canadian said:
There's nothing in Earthbound that could be considered to be even half as controversial as some of the characters and events in Mother 3. I do remember reading something about copyright disputes regarding a certain song (the New Age Retro Hippie battle song) but again...hasn't stopped Nintendo from releasing Mother 1+2 or the Mother 2 demo in Brawl.

Maybe that's what it was, a copyright issue. Was the song being played in the demo for brawl?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
jarrod said:
For Nintendo's own games, the only titles I'd want still besides MM would be emulation dependant (ie: SFX/2 chipped Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, etc)

I really find it hard to believe that either Star Fox or Yoshi's Island are being held back due to emulation issues. I think it's much more likely that Star Fox is deemed too ugly to release (at the moment) due to the low frame rate and such, and that Yoshi's Island is being held off for some sort of Mario related tie-in in the future. I rather think the same is true for Majora's Mask, and that it will be released as a tie-in with the next Zelda game.

Jiggy

TheGrayGhost said:
If you guys are serious, you guys are a joke. When both WiiWare and VC were releasing a great many games, you were singing the praises of the services. After that, when releases trickled down, you were bitching and moaning. After that, when releases started to pick up, you were bitching and moaning. Now, you're back to bitching and moaning.
I'm guessing that fourth sentence was supposed to end in "singing their praises," but what you typed describes how things actually went for me. I got down on VC right around May last year and I've stayed down ever since then. Even when the ones who usually complain were overjoyed about games that they were downloading (and that I was too) late last year, every week I would continue saying things like "This game is awesome and I'll download it immediately, but it still doesn't excuse only getting [one game or two games]." No flipping and fluctuating moods here.

I think it's already been said enough but seriously all I want is Smash Bros. and Earthbound (both of which have been announced), DK64, Mario Party and Majora's Mask. Those are the only five games left that they could put on VC that I will truly care about.

Not to mention there are so many things that are currently on the service that i really want to download but I haven't had the time or money to actually take the time and purchase. Just a few weeks ago I FINALLY got around to downloading OoT.

jarrod

Banned
Hobbun said:
Interesting. So do the 3rd party companies license ALL of their games from the get go to Nintendo or is it game by game or by series (like Final Fantasy)?
I believe it's whole catalogues. Ben Judd said that when pressed about getting Bionic Commando on VC, and that they had no active involvement or control over what goes up.

DavidDayton said:
I really find it hard to believe that either Star Fox or Yoshi's Island are being held back due to emulation issues. I think it's much more likely that Star Fox is deemed too ugly to release (at the moment) due to the low frame rate and such, and that Yoshi's Island is being held off for some sort of Mario related tie-in in the future. I rather think the same is true for Majora's Mask, and that it will be released as a tie-in with the next Zelda game.
I dunno, chipped games seem to take longer. We still don't even have any DSP games (Mario Kart, Pilotwings) either though we have gotten SA1 games (Mario RPG, Kirby 3).

For MM, it wouldn't surprise me if they were ironing out the RAM expansion support (since it ran like shit on N64). They should give us OOT Master Quest in the meantime.

Jiggy

Wii Will Rock U said:
I think it's already been said enough but seriously all I want is Smash Bros. and Earthbound (both of which have been announced), DK64, Mario Party and Majora's Mask. Those are the only five games left that they could put on VC that I will truly care about.
Only a modest sixty or so remain that I want, though admittedly that's not counting Hudson games or anything on TG16.

Cheerilee

jarrod said:
I believe it's whole catalogues. Ben Judd said that when pressed about getting Bionic Commando on VC, and that they had no active involvement or control over what goes up.
I imagine Nintendo tries for entire catalogues, but that it doesn't have to always be that way. Here's how I thought it works. Bear in mind, I'm nobody.

- Nintendo put together a squad from their army of on-call lawyers, and assigned them to find out who all owns the rights to to as many games from old Nintendo systems as is humanly possible.

- The legal team approaches rights-holders and offers them a pre-approved percentage for their entire library.

- The rights holder agrees, and gets no money upfront. The legal team passes the game rights and roms on to Nintendo. Non-disclosure agreements are also involved.

- Nintendo tests and adjusts the emulation. They also get the game ESRB rated, usually just prior to releasing it.

- Now IF Nintendo ever decides to make use of a game, they take care of all the hosting and support and publicity duties, and they give the rights holder their agreed-upon cut of the money taken in.

- Hudson, Sega, ect. bring their own respective systems to the table, and act in pretty much the same way Nintendo does, but obviously earn less money than Nintendo because Nintendo always gets a cut of everything. Nintendo also presumably has the final say in regulating the flow of titles from these other systems.

- Rights probably aren't given over to Nintendo for eternity, and rights holders might have some way to back out of the program if they reconsider, or if they just decide that they don't like the cut they're getting. Otherwise they could be screwed if something came up making a release potentially damaging, and they'd have to resort to begging Nintendo not to hurt them, which wouldn't be worth it if no money even traded hands in the first place. Such details are unlikely to be seen or discussed.

- First party games obviously earn Nintendo the most money, because they don't have to share the money with anybody.

- Every third party wants their entire catalogue up yesterday, that way they can get as much money as possible, but Nintendo doesn't care what third parties want, they try to manage the system in a way that will end up being the most profitable for Nintendo. Third party games are released and profits are managed in a way that attempts to keep fans interested and encourages/rewards strategic third party relationships with Nintendo.

- Nintendo and third parties both seem to be under the impression that WiiWare will be more profitable for them than the VC has been, and that the VC is unwanted competition and/or a distraction.

- Hudson pulling out (if they indeed have pulled out) may mean the end of TurboGrafx games on the VC, or Hudson-published games from Nintendo systems on the VC, or both. If Hudson can pull games, there's most likely a distinction between released and untouched VC games, but released VC games have been pulled from release before, so it wouldn't be unheard of, if they went that far.

jarrod said:
What released VC games were pulled?

Only Super Mario Bros, the Lost Levels in Europe and that was put back on afterwards during the last hanabi festival. It was originally made available for about 2 weeks (They stated a certain amount of time when it came out so its not like it just disappeared suddenly without any notice)

TheGrayGhost said:
Now, you're back to bitching and moaning. It's pathetic, especially over such a small thing

Such a small thing? An entire game system that isn't going to ever release any more VC releases ever again??! That's a pretty damn huge thing in my book, particularly the Turbografx, which has many games I didn't get a chance to play back in the day.

Jiggy

At this time last year, I had fourteen TG16 games as compared to twelve NES, eleven SNES, seven Genesis, and three N64--and even today, TG16 is still hanging in there as the VC system for which I have the most games. Of course, by now NES and SNES are each only one behind and Genesis almost doubled its number, but it's still sad to think of how much greatness I won't be getting a chance to play.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
jarrod said:
I dunno, chipped games seem to take longer. We still don't even have any DSP games (Mario Kart, Pilotwings) either though we have gotten SA1 games (Mario RPG, Kirby 3).

The problem here is that we're running on rampant speculation with precious little to back it up. There's really no reason to assume that we aren't getting ___ games due to "emulation issues". I'm vaguely willing to accept that for N64 games at the most, and we had that working on the GameCube with Majora's Mask, GENERALLY. Random crashing was far more likely due to an emulation coding error than "generic issues with memory expansion emulation". I just think it's a bit much to assume that we aren't getting any game due to "emulation issues".

For that matter, why is everyone always so sure that third party Genesis titles are being run through Sega, and not simply through Nintendo? All we really seem to know is that Sega and Hudson appear to have control over their OWN titles released on their own systems, and not that they are the ones controlling third party titles.

I mean, I'm not saying either of those concepts are necessarily false, but there really seems to be no support for their being true.

Top Bottom