• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Dodonpachi Black Label EX thread of 360 bullet hell

RavenFox

Banned
Such a sad cover art. Hate when little girls have to suffer.
Motivation to kick all ass in this game.
Wait, was this to evoke these feelings??

danmaku

Little girls? They are robots, you even see them dismantled in some of the artworks. BTW, the new cover art sucks, the old one was way better.

manzo

RavenFox said:
Such a sad cover art. Hate when little girls have to suffer.
Motivation to kick all ass in this game.
Wait, was this to evoke these feelings??

I think it's more meant for the gothic lolita type otakus.

Oh well, I don't know. :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
manzo said:
I think it's more meant for the gothic lolita type otakus.

Oh well, I don't know. :lol

seriously

when japanese nerds see little girls in distress they're like
suggest.jpg

Flyguy said:
Aww, man. Your avatar was my favorite thing ever. Did you get a new one that was NSFW, or did somebody decide after many many months that it was suddenly NSFW? /derail

It was the same old one. I did not think it was NSFW, someone very sensible may have reported it. Since I cannot appeal GAF, it looks that I will have to carry the "mark".

Shame, because the image was great and not NSFW IMO.

Jonnyram said:
Looks like Feb 19 is the release date now :hyper

:yellow flash
:chain x4

Yeah, I'm hella hyped. Hopefully there'll be a few DLCs like gamer icons or a theme or something. Hopefully for free too given how long we've had to wait.

Yes Boss!

Good news!

Play-asia is now preparing Dodonpachi Black Label EX orders. The long wait finally is over!

Check your orders.

They are also preparing Shooting Love 200X (not sure if anybody cares about that one :lol )

screenshot_01-3.jpg

2dweqft.jpg

Picture of the package and the guidebook. Guidebook btw doesn't have any crazy art or anything, just a stage by stage breakdown. I'll post some impressions after playing a bit.

Yes Boss!

adversesolutions said:
This game has PROBLEMS. : /

So, the major issue seems to be the lengthy loading?

Also, I asked in the other Cave thread but nobody answered. Would getting DoDonPachi Dai Jou for the Japanese PS2 be overkill if I've got the new 360 version coming? Just thinking about getting it before it falls out-of-print.

Jonnyram

Yeah, the Famitsu review mentioned the loading times so it must be bad :(
I wasn't gonna get this just yet anyway as it's a bit hard for me. Will probably just get Shooting Love this week (alongside SO4, of course).

Kaibutsu

Gah! It's killing me that the japanese 360 is THE shooter system and I can't play any of them because of stupid region locking :(

manzo

Kaibutsu said:
Gah! It's killing me that the japanese 360 is THE shooter system and I can't play any of them because of stupid region locking :(

You know, the JP 360's aren't some odd rarity in the world. You can just buy one from Play-Asia, NCSX, Yesasia, Renchi etc.

Kaibutsu

manzo said:
You know, the JP 360's aren't some odd rarity in the world. You can just buy one from Play-Asia, NCSX, Yesasia, Renchi etc.

yeah, but I can't bring myself to buy another 360. Since I'm on my fifth US 360 and all.... The funny thing is I've never had any problems buying multiple systems in the past to play Japanese games, i.e) dreamcast and ps2 but I'll be damned if I'll buy a 2nd system that very likely will die within a year :p

Yes Boss!

Kaibutsu said:
yeah, but I can't bring myself to buy another 360. Since I'm on my fifth US 360 and all.... The funny thing is I've never had any problems buying multiple systems in the past to play Japanese games, i.e) dreamcast and ps2 but I'll be damned if I'll buy a 2nd system that very likely will die within a year :p

Wow that is bad luck. I have three 360s and they've all been fine, including one from launch 2005. I just take extreme caution to keep everything ventilated and raise the adapter off the ground.

Also, NCSX has the new chipset arcade units for $300...really not that bad if you realize it will let you play the 8 shooters exclusive to the box.

danmaku

Good to hear that at least they nailed down the game basics (patterns, slowdowns...). Too bad for the lack of polish, but hopefully they'll improve with Ketsui. Maybe the delay was a good thing, after all.

Bebpo

Banned
Damnit. This sounds terrible.

I mean it was pretty iffy giving the ports to 5bp who do DATING TEXT ADVENTURES and the awful programming issues seem to show they are not capable of porting Cave shmups.

Honestly I don't care about DDP because I have the PS2 version and this is 96% identical in content, but this means Ketsui, which is finally getting a home port will be getting a shit port. WTF. This makes me angry beyond belief.

I hope this is the reason Cave is doing Death Smiles themselves. Maybe they saw 5bp's progress on the ports and did not approve. That would mean all future X360 cave ports would be done by Cave in-house which has to be better than by 5bp.

Quixzlizx

manzo said:

Rewarding a company for doing something you don't like is counterproductive.

Bebpo said:
Damnit. This sounds terrible.

I mean it was pretty iffy giving the ports to 5bp who do DATING TEXT ADVENTURES and the awful programming issues seem to show they are not capable of porting Cave shmups.

Honestly I don't care about DDP because I have the PS2 version and this is 96% identical in content, but this means Ketsui, which is finally getting a home port will be getting a shit port. WTF. This makes me angry beyond belief.

I hope this is the reason Cave is doing Death Smiles themselves. Maybe they saw 5bp's progress on the ports and did not approve. That would mean all future X360 cave ports would be done by Cave in-house which has to be better than by 5bp.

Yeah, not optimistic for Ketsui at the moment. Deathsmiles should be awesome though.

You know, the thing is that 5pb can actually PORT the games, it seems. They just make super heavy and counter-intuitive menus that screw the whole experience up.

Bebpo

Banned
adversesolutions said:
Yeah, not optimistic for Ketsui at the moment. Deathsmiles should be awesome though.

You know, the thing is that 5pb can actually PORT the games, it seems. They just make super heavy and counter-intuitive menus that screw the whole experience up.

I dunno. That thread on the other forum indicates the port itself has timing and bug issues as well. So there are issues with the actual port + issues with all the interface stuff.

duckroll

Is it just loading though? From the sounds of things in that thread, it's not just terrible menu loading, but the game's timing and patterns seem to have been messed with. If that's true there's no way this is even worth supporting in any way.

Tain

I guess it's really a high bar to expect these ports to be as good as Arika's. Still, you'd think that they could have taken a direct full-blown emulation approach or something and not a weird buggy approximation with fucked up chaining. Really disappointing, from the sound of it.

5pb asked for the games. Cave wasn't actively looking to port them.

Tain

adversesolutions said:
Just FYI, I have not encountered major chaining issues. I think the port itself is really good.

Overall, do you think there's any weight to the claims about "timing" being off?

I mean, you're noticing slight changes after a little bit of play. Do you think there could be some semi-drastic ones that will creep up in time?

Quixzlizx said:
Rewarding a company for doing something you don't like is counterproductive.

It is not like MS started this region bs. They just followed the trend, probably under pressure from the publishers. MS does not gain anything from it, just the publishers. Kudos for Sony for breaking the tradition, let's hope the next generation will be all region free.

So in the end, if you like Japanese only games, you should buy a second system. Otherwise it will be your lost.

I am in my third USA system (actually 1 USA and 2 Brazilian) since MS Brazil does not repair systems, but provide a console change in case of fault, I am all good with it. And I have a Japanese and a PAL system for the other games (although those systems are not covered by any kind of warranty)

duckroll

Chiaroscuro said:
It is not like MS started this region bs. They just followed the trend, probably under pressure from the publishers. MS does not gain anything from it, just the publishers. Kudos for Sony for breaking the tradition, let's hope the next generation will be all region free.

I think it might actually be MS Japan that's behind this region BS honestly. There are many 360 games that are in fact region free or multi-region, dependingly. Yet every single Japan release is region locked. 100%. It's hard to ignore that fact.

duckroll said:
I think it might actually be MS Japan that's behind this region BS honestly. There are many 360 games that are in fact region free or multi-region, dependingly. Yet every single Japan release is region locked. 100%. It's hard to ignore that fact.
Huh?
Aren't the Japanese versions of Crackdown (Riot Act), Lost Planet Colonies, and and Street Fighter IV region free?

duckroll

_dementia said:
Huh?
Aren't the Japanese versions of Crackdown (Riot Act), Lost Planet Colonies, and and Street Fighter IV region free?

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I guess I didn't pay attention to those games.

Ace Combat is also region free. That is up to the developers to lock the game, I guess the standard practice is to lock the game in the expectation some western publisher picks the game (more profit) which they probably won't do if the game was region free at start (less sales). You can see that region-free games are from big publishers that releases the games in all territories.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Reading the impressions so far I'm glad I didn't pre-order this. Even with all the delays I can't believe the game was released like this.

manzo

duckroll said:
Is it just loading though? From the sounds of things in that thread, it's not just terrible menu loading, but the game's timing and patterns seem to have been messed with. If that's true there's no way this is even worth supporting in any way.

OK, NOW I'm getting worried. My order is already being prepared, so too late to cancel.

At least I always have the PS2 DaiOuJou to fall back if all else fails.

Kaibutsu said:

all there is to say. impressions dont do anything good either.

Tain said:
Overall, do you think there's any weight to the claims about "timing" being off?

I mean, you're noticing slight changes after a little bit of play. Do you think there could be some semi-drastic ones that will creep up in time?

No, I have had no issues with timing. Then again, I can only full chain stages 1 and 2 (and 2 only on a good day). Stage 3 is beyond me, and 4 I always lost the chain when the tanks start coming in, so...hard to say. I have to wonder if the second loop is tuned well enough for the real monsters at this game.

More significant: I'm not sure leaderboards work in this game at all. Gonna wait a few days until official release to make a verdict but...

Top Bottom