• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Glory of Heracles Thread of Hercules

botticus

So, uh... has anyone not "stolen" items from houses? I've been made to feel bad, though it did stop me from doing it every time at first.

Hero of Legend said:
Though as a gamer and a fan of Japanese games I'm glad they were faithful with the name, but as a huge Disney fan, why the fuck did they not make it Hercules?! :/

I'm going to hurt you.

It will not be over quickly.

John Harker said:
If one was to buy someone an RPG for DS and it came down to Sands of Destruction or Glory of Heracles, which would be the better choice? Traditional RPGs are liked, so should be cool either way, not sure which is the better game tho. Reviews seem similar.

I'm not far into either, but I'm liking Sands of Destruction a bit more. Though, I think that's mostly a taste thing. Greek mythology always bored me (I'm more into the Norse stuff) so that's definitely affecting my opinion even if it is presented in a typical anime fashion.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Very brief impressions so far:

(10:29:10 PM) Mejilan: Actually kinda digging Heracles so far.
(10:29:19 PM) Mejilan: Battles move at a nice clip, and have some cool features.
(10:29:45 PM) Mejilan: And you gotta appreciate a game that throws out a funny Zelda reference right from the get go... and chucks you into a 5 member party within 6 or so minutes of starting.
(10:30:05 PM) Mejilan: Though I'm sure 3 of 'em won't last long.
(10:30:35 PM) Mejilan: "Overkilling" enemies for bonus MPs is always fun.
(10:30:57 PM) Mejilan: Seems to be a ton of passive skills to fuck around with.
(10:31:14 PM) Mejilan: From shit that boosts your evade chances, your counter chances, to more active passive skills that trigger under certain battle conditions.
(10:31:43 PM) Mejilan: Such as Leucos' rather evil ability to take a free turn to go in for a kill whenever another party member brings a monster to the brink.
(10:31:52 PM) Mejilan: She'll jump in and do that, then proceed to take her own turn.
(10:33:08 PM) Mejilan: In the opening forest, I've already encountered something like 8 unique enemies, with many of them dropping all kinds of loot, including what will probably shape up to be fodder for some kind of item construction/weapons forging mechanic.
(10:33:19 PM) Mejilan: Her gender is somewhat dubious. Haha.
(10:33:33 PM) Mejilan: Pretty sure she's a girl though.

Done for the night, I think. But it's very promising, so far. I love big parties. I love tactical turn based battles. I love loot and item construction. I love managing spells, active skills, and passive skills. The MP/Ether mechanics seems interesting as well. Playing as a band of immortals can only be fun!

John Harker said:
If one was to buy someone an RPG for DS and it came down to Sands of Destruction or Glory of Heracles, which would be the better choice? Traditional RPGs are liked, so should be cool either way, not sure which is the better game tho. Reviews seem similar.

Check out my impressions in the Sands thread for my opinion, but the short and sweet is that the combat in the game is obnoxiously broken. And that's not just an opinion or feeling. Music/Graphics are nice.

Due to the fact that this game has a battle system that makes a decent amount of sense, I'd recommend this over Sands and advise you to find a copy of the Sands OST instead.

john tv

Improvements over the JP version that I can recall (there were quite a few):

- Opening intro is less grainy
- Battles are 2 to 3 times faster (maybe more)
- Can cut down battle magic animations significantly w/ "Brief" option
- Can hold "A" during battle animation to increase the speed of the battle even more
- Can set entire party AI to "Auto" at once rather than one member at a time (press "Select" when choosing your party's moves)
- Can reset the camera in towns (minor but helpful if you use the map a lot)

Umm... There's definitely more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

It's WAY more playable than the JP version IMO. The battles were unbearably slow before, but they're nice and brisk now.

Mejilan

john tv said:
Improvements over the JP version that I can recall (there were quite a few):

- Opening intro is less grainy
- Battles are 2 to 3 times faster (maybe more)
- Can cut down battle magic animations significantly w/ "Brief" option
- Can hold "A" during battle animation to increase the speed of the battle even more
- Can set entire party AI to "Auto" at once rather than one member at a time (press "Select" when choosing your party's moves)
- Can reset the camera in towns (minor but helpful if you use the map a lot)

Umm... There's definitely more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

It's WAY more playable than the JP version IMO. The battles were unbearably slow before, but they're nice and brisk now.

Wow, fairly significant improvements. Excellent.
Wonder WTF happened with Sands of Destruction, then.

Kishgal

Banned
botticus said:
So, uh... has anyone not "stolen" items from houses? I've been made to feel bad, though it did stop me from doing it every time at first.
If you do swipe items from houses, it reduces your luck, which affects the results of polishing rusted equipment. I think a skill might also be affected by it, but I'm not sure.

botticus

Kishgal said:
If you do swipe items from houses, it reduces your luck, which affects the results of polishing rusted equipment. I think a skill might also be affected by it, but I'm not sure.
Okay, I think I'll just deal with it. My luck has already dropped two or three times, and I don't think I'll be able to avoid the temptation of looking at furniture moving forward. :lol

4 hours in now, it's fun. Movement on the overworld could stand to be faster, but it's bearable. Battles are entertaining though I haven't messed around with skills much, mostly just focusing on magic and abilities. I'm going into the first real dungeon now, we'll see how things go!

Also, the save anywhere feature is greatly appreciated.

Ikkarus

From what I have read here this game looks very promising.

I'm just debating if this game will come to PAL land or should I give in to my urges and impulse buy now.

Kishgal

Banned
ok0tae.jpg

Awesome.
The text in general is pretty funny. I've chuckled quite a few times. I don't remember the Japanese game being this humorous, but it has been a while.

And I really must say... I'm completely shocked at how much faster the battles are. John TV wasn't kidding when he said "2-3 times faster." Bare minimum. The game is so much more enjoyable now.

eznark

Banned
Struck out at the local indy shop again today. Gonna just order it from Amazon. On the plus side, Sand of Destruction seems to be getting better and by better I mean I can now take two steps without getting sucked into a random battle.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
botticus said:
You mean there are people who don't try to get loot out of every item in buildings in RPGs?

I didn't know you could try and take items in the houses, only the stuff randomly outside in the town area.

Mejilan

Kishgal said:
ok0tae.jpg

Awesome.
The text in general is pretty funny. I've chuckled quite a few times. I don't remember the Japanese game being this humorous, but it has been a while.

And I really must say... I'm completely shocked at how much faster the battles are. John TV wasn't kidding when he said "2-3 times faster." Bare minimum. The game is so much more enjoyable now.

I... I cannot imagine a game with battles more than 2-3 times slower.

botticus

Kagari said:
I didn't know you could try and take items in the houses, only the stuff randomly outside in the town area.
Ah, yeah, you can dig around in the armoires or whatever the big pieces of furniture are. It's usually food and drink, so higher value stuff than you find on the ground.

Kishgal

Banned
Mejilan said:
I... I cannot imagine a game with battles more than 2-3 times slower.
It was awful. And that's why I don't know a single person who finished the Japanese game. :\

I'm really happy about this, because I'm a fan of the Heracles series and I liked most everything else about this game before. It just wasn't very playable to me. I'm really excited to finally go through this game.

Kishgal

Banned
Poor thread. :(

I'm already almost up to where I quit in the Japanese version, and I feel like it has taken me half as long to do it. My opinion of the game has really improved considerably thanks to the changes, now that I've been able to appreciate other aspects of the game without getting annoyed at how long battles are taking. It really does feel like a Heracles game after all.

Mejilan

I like the little I've played of this, but I'm knee deep into Crimson Gem Saga right now, with Nostalgia queued up next.

Picked this up yesterday but haven't started yet. I've got a metric ton of RPGs that have been waiting to be played first but I'm intrigued. Maybe tomorrow...

botticus

My only complaint so far is that it doesn't seem like you can set specific actions for auto battle. I have everyone set up for offense/normal/melee, but then Hero will throw a Byrnge at one half-dead enemy. :/ So "auto-battling" tends to be me hitting A until everyone is set to attack.

Money is just starting to become a concern after not selling anything to this point. At least if I want to max out all my alchemy/blacksmithing.

Kishgal

Banned
1z2d1yg.jpg

Some of the lines in this game get quite a chuckle out of me. So groanworthy, but I can't help it.
I'm officially past where I quit the Japanese game, so it's all new stuff from here on out, yay.

Does anyone who's played the Japanese version, or enough of this version know if there are any major permanent missables in this game? I want to be able to play this game at my leisure and relax with it and I don't feel like waiting for a guide, but I hate missing out on a secret character/ultimate weapon/what have you because I didn't speak to old man A in town X before event Y while equipped with X

ethelred

Everyone's pointing out the Zelda reference, but I found the Kid Icarus reference even more amusing.

29zbx9g.jpg

nxjjvb.jpg

xm4dip.jpg

25rfdau.jpg

Regardless of how good the game is, John, you guys did an excellent job, as usual.

After getting out of that terrible forest section in the very beginning, this game has picked up considerably. At first, the battle menu was a bit awkward for me(dont know why), but its definitely feeling much more fluid, and battles are increasingly brisk because of it. Man, this game has some great animations, and it really does a wonderful job of showing "impact". Im really enjoying it right now, but two things are bugging the shit out of me.

- Why does every damn thing slow down when you press the A button? Who thought that was a good idea, and how did it escape Q/A not once, but twice?

-The amount of tutorial is pretty annoying. Do I really need to be told how to open a damn door? Must a battle really come to a grinding halt so that I can be told what it means to be poisoned?

If those two things would disappear, I would be a happy man. Well, Id be even more happy.

Kishgal

Banned
The whole
Heaven's Gate/Hall of Heroes
part was fun and all, but not being able to save throughout the whole thing was pretty nervewracking.

abstract alien said:
Must a battle really come to a grinding halt so that I can be told what it means to be poisoned?
Turn off the advice option.

I must agree that the game has some excelent writing, it really does affect the enjoyment aspect of the game in a positive way of course! good job! Which was the complete oppesite for a game like Nostalgia, I am a forien English speaker, I didn't get my English major yet, but the writing in that game is ...something a beginner in English would appreciate, not me.
I eventually dropped it.

Kishgal said:
Poor thread. :(

I'm already almost up to where I quit in the Japanese version, and I feel like it has taken me half as long to do it. My opinion of the game has really improved considerably thanks to the changes, now that I've been able to appreciate other aspects of the game without getting annoyed at how long battles are taking. It really does feel like a Heracles game after all.

Good to hear. I'll probably look into picking this up after all then, if for no other reason than the team behind this translation decided on excellence over laziness.

darkwings

Banned
wtf is gametrailers doing? first 6.8 then 8.2 and now back to 6.8 again

anyway i just picked up this game, but i am busy with sands of destruction

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SilverLunar said:

I must agree that the game has some excelent writing, it really does affect the enjoyment aspect of the game in a positive way of course! good job! Which was the complete oppesite for a game like Nostalgia, I am a forien English speaker, I didn't get my English major yet, but the writing in that game is ...something a beginner in English would appreciate, not me.
I eventually dropped it.

Nojima~~~

Kishgal

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
How is that a positive? His gaming credits is pretty much a who's who list of the most idiotic stories in japanese games.
I've never really thought of him as a great scenario writer, but he has written some pretty memorable dialog (which doesn't always come through in translation, unfortunately). His Heracles stories are much more... grounded than his Square stuff, though. Heracles 3 has a pretty cool story, in my opinion. As for this game, the plot isn't all that special yet, but it does have potential.

SilverLunar said:

I eventually dropped it.
Where in blazes is this at? I expected there to be one, but never found it in the options menu :lol

botticus

SilverLunar said:
I eventually dropped it.
Yeah, the writing has really been a highlight for me so far. The characters really play off each other well. Heracles' laughter is becoming contagious. :lol

I'm about 15 hours in now, been taking every opportunity to play this weekend. Did I read somewhere that this runs around 30 hours or so?

Yet another 7 review up at Nintendo Life.

abstract alien said:
Where in blazes is this at? I expected there to be one, but never found it in the options menu :lol
Ok i checked myself and didn't see it either, I swear I saw an option at the begining if i want to keep the advice on or not, but i can't find it now, or did i confuse it with the camera assist?? this is weird!

SilverLunar said:
Ok i checked myself and didn't see it either, I swear I saw an option at the begining if i want to keep the advice on or not, but i can't find it now, or did i confuse it with the camera assist?? this is weird!
Yeah, I really couldn't fine one honestly. I checked just about every menu in my search, but never came up with anything. Perhaps it was an option at the beginning, and in my frustration, I skipped over it after mashing through the tutorials?

Top Bottom