• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Introducing Xbox Game Pass Core, Coming This September

oji-san

Banned
Thats a big change in price to me if we can't get Gold to GPU tbh, for the last 3 years i paid about 5 GBP per month, and now the only way to get GPU is to pay 17 USD per month? thats like 3 times more.. won't be worth it to me.
The 11 USD option is without online and EA... Hows the no online affect playing? you can't play games like Halo Infinite MP but you can play the campaign? and will games that require online like lets say Outriders will probably won't work?
The more i think about it im probably done with GP and PS Plus.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I feel like having online included in Core but not the tier that costs $1 more is going to end up confusing people

wonder if they’ll bring it back to the website then since right now the only way to get it is to buy a card at a retailer

so only GP core has a yearly reduced price? what about the others?
Hey, some of us tried to say it's not straight forward...

If anything, I would expect ppl to push for an annual sub for the other Game Pass plans but...

🤷‍♂️

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If they're launching this in September, there's no way they increase the price in just one month lol.

I completely failed in my sarcasm.... :/

Im useless!

I was trying to joke that, why would they announce this price then anytime within the next 12 months raise the price...that would be crazy imo.

mrmustard

Banned
adamsapple adamsapple give it to me straight, is it now too late to do the Brazil/Turkey cheap gold, conversion trick? Even if it's no longer 1:1. My GP runs out in March and I'm debating whether to do the loophole again on a new account in August.
You can also buy Turkey GPU codes and redeem them with a VPN. Should be around 20 Euro/3 months.

The Shepard

This is better than expected from the earlier rumour thread. Same price as gold is now with the option of a yearly sub.

acm2000

ultimate all the way, i dont think i could give up xcloud, it so handy to be able to jump into anything at any time then if i like it enough i will download and my save just carries on like nothing ever happened.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Didn't even realize Gamepass console never had online MP to begin with. Was thinking that I was seeing an error there but I guess not!

The messaging on this is confusing. They should not have called this Gamepass Core. Should've just stuck with the Xbox Live label.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

A natural progression of their services, adding it to the three GamePass tiers they already have and finally putting Games with Gold out of our misery.

It helps familiarize paid online players to the game catalog concept as well. I'm sure that they are hoping that after using the little catalog of games some users will opt to expand that catalog for a few dollars more.

Riky

$MSFT
Seems like a small upgrade over Gold, most people will be happy as you're getting a better selection of games.
They really need to bring back the yearly price for Ultimate members though. Makes sense to offer everything under one name so Gold members will understand what Gamepass offers and a proportion will upgrade to Ultimate.
Has anyone said what happens with the old free "Silver" tier? Are free to play games still able to play online for free?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
and the AAA model isnt healthy for the industry so....
It’s the only model that’s been proven to work throughout the decades… Make quality full priced games, people buy them. Repeat.

The simplicity and genuineness of it all is beautiful

That’s also how you get the best quality games. Not via a subscription service.

Last edited:

Antwix

So... They managed to make a a tiered subscription model more confusing and that makes less sense than Sony's? That's impressive.

At least with playstation plus you get added value at each pricing upgrade and no functionality is lost in the process...
How is it confusing?

If you just want multiplayer, get core.
If you want the games on your platform, get console or PC game pass.
If you want multiplayer + games, get ultimate.

Is this really that difficult to understand?

Last edited:

acm2000

It’s the only model that’s been proven to work throughout the decades… Make quality full priced games, people buy them. Repeat.

The simplicity and genuineness of it all is beautiful

That’s also how you get the best quality games. Not via a subscription service.
and yet PC proves the total opposite, the big issue is with one AAA miss step then a studio is doomed

ByWatterson

This is actually really amazing. I was thinking of dropping Gamepass anyway and just buying a couple multiplayer games I play a lot. Then I'll upgrade to PS+ Extra, which has a much more interesting catalog at this point.

I'll upgrade Gamepass for a month every time a single-player title comes out that I want to play.

Is that sustainable for Microsoft? Who knows. And it honestly feels like they're throwing in the towel a bit and trying to find a way to pump up subs while still getting game sales. They're admitting they need to actually sell games.

Last edited:
which is exactly why the traditional model basically ensures higher quality game output.

Uh, what? This is false. Most games are not good.

Also it’s very easy to point to games like Redfall but the fact of the matter is most games MS has released day one in GamePass have been good to very good. And most aren’t even service games or loaded with MTX.

Console worriers throwing out crystal ball GamePass predictions will need new narratives eventually.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Uh, what? This is false. Most games are not good.

Also it’s very easy to point to games like Redfall but the fact of the matter is most games MS has released day one in GamePass have been good to very good. And most aren’t even service games or loaded with MTX.

Console worriers throwing out crystal ball GamePass predictions will need new narratives eventually.
You’d consider Microsoft’s game output over the last decade … good to great?

We will never agree on this then. We’re on two different boats.

Also look at my post history lol. 80% of my posts are shitting on Sony and ugly graphics industry wide

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What a mess this is, if I'm being totally honest. I'd say the majority of people who pay for Gold (and not Game Pass) do so just for the online multiplayer. The fact that the second tier doesn't include online multiplayer makes this really fuckin weird. There's a general expectation with pricing tiers that if you choose a higher price tier, that all the benefits of the previous tier follow. Rather than being able to upgrade from "Core" to "Console" and keep multiplayer, you have to upgrade all the way to "Ultimate".

I made a quick edit to something that would have made more sense, if their goal is to convert as many users from "Core" to "Console" as possible. and allowed them to increase the price of regular game pass a bit while they were at it

sGju2hY.png

"Game Pass Console" should be a few bucks more than core, but have the draw of including all the Game Pass library and the Day One titles. Ultimate should be a few dollars more than that, and have the draw of cloud streaming and EA Play (and PC games).

You’d consider Microsoft’s game output over the last decade … good to great?

We will never agree on this then. We’re on two different boats.

Also look at my post history lol. 80% of my posts are shitting on Sony and ugly graphics industry wide

I said the games they have released day one into GamePass have mostly been good to very good and also aren’t all service games or money grab MTX infested trash like everyone predicted they’d start churning out. You can put whatever qualifier you want on the output for the last decade.

Havoc2049

Thats a big change in price to me if we can't get Gold to GPU tbh, for the last 3 years i paid about 5 GBP per month, and now the only way to get GPU is to pay 17 USD per month? thats like 3 times more.. won't be worth it to me.
The 11 USD option is without online and EA... Hows the no online affect playing? you can't play games like Halo Infinite MP but you can play the campaign? and will games that require online like lets say Outriders will probably won't work?
The more i think about it im probably done with GP and PS Plus.
Halo Infinite MP isn't a good example, as it's already free to play, with a season pass and cosmetic micro transaction model for the dev to make money. But MP in games like Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4&5, Gears 5, the upcoming Forza Motorsport, etc., won't be avaliable. This new GP Core is actually a really good deal, especially if your a multiplayer focused gamer who only buys a handful of games a year.

acm2000

They're intentionally trying to price people out of full Gamepass and into Core. To sell more games. I'm very, very convinced this is the play.
more like the opposite, steering people TO ultimate for all the bells and whistles and maxmium return, and if you have a decent fibre connection its worth it.

ByWatterson

more like the opposite, steering people TO ultimate for all the bells and whistles and maxmium return, and if you have a decent fibre connection its worth it.

But all it is is a price increase. I assume most people with Gamepass have Ultimate or Gold already.

The number of people who would like a pretty nice little library and $5 a month is huge. Gamepass simply isn't used enough for most people to justify $17 a month. But $5? Easy sell. And then those customers will pay full price for COD, Starfield, etc.

bender

What time is it?
Rebranding is smart as Game Pass is the future branding that Microsoft will hang their hat on. Rather than the limited game collection, I think it would have been smarter to give subscribers the option for a 48 hour period per month of the full catalog. Seems like that would have been a better way to entice the userbase into trying all Game Pass has to offer and upgrading their subscriptions.

TheUsual

Gold Member
They're intentionally trying to price people out of full Gamepass and into Core. To sell more games. I'm very, very convinced this is the play.
Yeah that makes sense on initial review. Try to push as many users into Core, give them access to a much tighter curated selection and online multiplayer, and hopefully then convert some of those users to Ultimate down the road. And can entice former Ultimate members back as well.

Ultimate came when I bought my Series X. I don't use Gamepass enough to justify it once it expires. I'll probably go down to Core then if I want to play online. Maybe I'll bump up for a day one release if something looks good.

And also as you say : to sell more games. Depending on the user, the cost of the game itself can make more financial sense.

Edited to expand on my thoughts.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Yeah that makes sense on initial review. Try to push as many users into Core, get access to a much tighter curated selection, and hopefully then convert some of those users to Ultimate.

Right, and sell games full price to those who don't.

There's a donut hole of customers between "Those who want to pay big for Gamepass" and "Those who don't want to buy anything."

You're not going to get $17 a month from that group - the "One or two games per year" group - but you can get $5, and then $70 for COD.

mrmustard

Banned
As much as i love Day1 Game Pass games, i think it would be better for Microsoft to change it to 30 days to get more sales.

SkylineRKR

This is better than Gold no doubt, but its worse if you used Gold to convert to GPU. Which probably most Gold buyers did anyway.

I guess the main reason to do this is similar to PlayStation naming scheme. To count people paying $60 a year as GamePass and PS+ users.

Still no yearly deal for the actual GamePass (Ultimate), unfortunately. Makes GPU significantly more costly than the others.

Yearly Prices

Nintendo Switch Online $20
GamePass Basic $59.99
PS+ Essential $59.99
NSO + Expansion $65
PS+ Extra $99.99
PS+ Premium $119.99
GamePass Ultimate $203.88

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
MS buys big publishers and they want you to rent their games. If you want to own your games and play them online you have to pay more now - because MS really needs you to take the next step and submit to a future of renting games.

But nothing here has changed except XBL being retitled to Game Pass Core. The fee structure and functionality is the same as before.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Curious to see what the 25 games are.
  • Among Us
  • Descenders
  • Dishonored 2
  • Doom Eternal
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Grounded
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Inside
  • Ori & The Will of the Wisps
  • Psychonauts 2
  • State of Decay 2
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This is a smart move.

However, there needs to be a better upper tier. I've been saying this for years, but we need a Gamepass Platinum or Gamespass Gods tier. A tier that gives you access to every game on the Xbox store for a flat fee.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
But nothing here has changed except XBL being retitled to Game Pass Core. The fee structure and functionality is the same as before.
We all know what's going to happen. In a year they'll retire 'core' cause everyone are on 'console' or 'PC' - and then they bump up the subscription fee.

What they should've done: Bumped up GwG with monthly quality games - but that doesn't fit in to their big rentpass future.

Top Bottom