• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

Wow the Worrywort section is really good. The writing and themes are just excellent. I never expected this game to be so satirical, and it plays off the cutesy style so well. Maybe I just didn't keep up, but I don't recall any review mentioning anything like this at all. I suppose reviewers aren't conditioned for the sort of thing.

Dascu

tetrisgrammaton said:
Wow the Worrywort section is really good. The writing and themes are just excellent. I never expected this game to be so satirical, and it plays off the cutesy style so well. Maybe I just didn't keep up, but I don't recall any review mentioning anything like this at all. I suppose reviewers aren't conditioned for the sort of thing.
That was the moment in the game were my sentiments changed from "Wow, this game is pretty good." to "This is brilliant.".

zigg

I am a wicked, wicked tyrant, but...

Is there a way to kill off excess citizenry? Basically, I got addicted to making couples in my Royal Guard procreate.

(even better, can I find the ones that hate me and kill them?)

cosmicblizzard said:
It was worth it at 50. I've said it like 30 times in this thread already, but it was my GOTY for 2009. If you liked Pikmin even a little, buy it right away.

I bought Pikmin NPC a few weeks ago and enjoyed it but thought it was a bit short. LKS should last me a good deal longer, right? How accurate is the 30 hour estimate mentioned in some of those reviews? I know reviews like to embellish a game's length sometimes.

leroidys said:
Man I really want this game but my gaming budget is so tight this year that I'm still holding out for 20....

I'm in a similar situation...and I'm trying to save up for Pokemon HG/SS and MH3 too...and that's just in the next 2 months lol. Not to mention all the other games I've been meaning to pick up like Shattered Memories and PES 2010.

GhaleonQ

Little Green Yoda said:
I bought Pikmin NPC a few weeks ago and enjoyed it but thought it was a bit short. LKS should last me a good deal longer, right? How accurate is the 30 hour estimate mentioned in some of those reviews? I know reviews like to embellish a game's length sometimes.

The game itself, fully, is that long, but you're strongly encouraged to fool around in your village, talk with people, and do sidequests. It's part of the experience, so I'd say more than 30 is the ideal experience. People have gone straight through in 20-25, I believe.

zigg

Oxx said:
And I kinda want to do it all again.

Tyrant mode is calling you.

(It's definitely calling me. I want the new story elements... though I'm not hot on a 1-HP Corobo...)

Can I jump in and out of Tyrant and still get the new story elements? When do they occur? Thinking about Long Sauvage in particular is making me cringe.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well, I finally bought it today. EBgames has it marked down to $24.99 new.. and I've been itching to pick it up. It will probably have to wait behind Okami and Rune Factory Frontier.. but I can't wait to jump in.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
GhaleonQ said:
But all 3 of those are such long games! You might not get to it by April!

Haha.. yeah. I'm a measly 15 hours into Okami, and I'm about 40 hours into Rune Factory Frontier.. but I'm only mid-way through my first Fall.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Little late to the party here...

Holy shit this game is so good and so terrible all at the same time. The music and art and Pikmin-like goodness and wacky cutscenes are all wonderful. I've never heard a game do jibberish so well. I love how much of the jibberish is made up from various languages sewn together.

But then there's the targeting. :(

GhaleonQ

I posted some news about Kenichi Nishi (1/3 of Love-De-Lic, former leader of Skip, now doing mobile games because he hates the industry) in the Moon: Remix RPG Adventure topic.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...s_ipad_support

Kenichi Nishi's working part time/developing for Marvelous? And Yoshiro Kimura's at Marvelous? This is good.

Well, now Little King's Story is going mobile (though not on smartphones with touchscreens, yet). http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/04/little-kings-story-is-going-mobile It seems like a no-brainer, though. I'm more excited for a new game by Kimura and Nishi, but there you go.

GhaleonQ said:
I posted some news about Kenichi Nishi (1/3 of Love-De-Lic, former leader of Skip, now doing mobile games because he hates the industry) in the Moon: Remix RPG Adventure topic.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...s_ipad_support

Kenichi Nishi's working part time/developing for Marvelous? And Yoshiro Kimura's at Marvelous? This is good.

Well, now Little King's Story is going mobile (though not on smartphones with touchscreens, yet). http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/04/little-kings-story-is-going-mobile It seems like a no-brainer, though. I'm more excited for a new game by Kimura and Nishi, but there you go.

Awesome. Hope it's given a warmer reception sales wise than the console version. Right now, I'm just glad the I.P. isn't dead.

Papa

Banned
Just started playing this recently and I'm loving it so far. Just beat the Onii King. I'm amazed at all the little references they've put in such as Captain Beefheart and Princess Apricot.

TunaLover

cosmicblizzard said:
Awesome. Hope it's given a warmer reception sales wise than the console version. Right now, I'm just glad the I.P. isn't dead.
XSEED distribution channel just killed LKS sales. It should keep Wii exclusive, but oh well, it's more easy blame to Wii and its demography.

Mesijs

Is there any chance of this getting released on HD consoles as well? I'm really interested in this game but would love to play it on PS3 instead of Wii.

I thought the publisher once said it would port more Wii-games to HD consoles? But the developer is bankrupt as well, right?

Dascu

Mesijs said:
Is there any chance of this getting released on HD consoles as well? I'm really interested in this game but would love to play it on PS3 instead of Wii.

I thought the publisher once said it would port more Wii-games to HD consoles? But the developer is bankrupt as well, right?
I wouldn't count on it. The developer has been dispersed and contrary to No More Heroes, it's not exactly a game where one would think the sales could be better on the PS3 or 360.

volmer

This is such a brilliant game and it's a shame that it did not sell enough to keep the developers going.

The style of the game immediately appeals to young kids, but with no advertising to inform parents not already in the know, obviously this title was always going to be second choice to movie-licensed games and similar.

In terms of appealing to grown-ups, I suspect that most people are simply unable to look past the lack of dudebros. This is sad, but to each their own I guess.

Papa

Banned
After playing some more, the buggy mechanics are getting really frustrating. Having half my royal guard being out of action because the AI couldn't path itself properly is a huge negative for the game. Also, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the targeting is awful.

I love how fresh and innovative the game feels but the things I mentioned are making it really hard to love the game as much as I want to.

GhaleonQ

jesusraz said:
Perhaps there IS a chance LKS will eventually turn up on (3)DS at some point after all!

I'm going to ignore your protests and assume that you have inside knowledge.

HEY, EVERYONE, LITTLE KING'S STORY 1 AND 2 LAUNCHING WITH THE 3DS!

volmer said:
This is such a brilliant game and it's a shame that it did not sell enough to keep the developers going.

That's not exactly what happened. Kimura's company, Punchline, went out of business, so in the process of switching to Marvelous, he recruited buddies from Vanpool (where 1/3 of Love-De-Lic works), Skip (the other 1/3), Cing (no ties that I know of), Square-Enix (where Love-De-Lic used to work), and other people that were between projects. It was always temporary. He has to reassemble a whole new team for Little King's Story 2 because some won't be able to come back.

matt404au said:
After playing some more, the buggy mechanics are getting really frustrating. Having half my royal guard being out of action because the AI couldn't path itself properly is a huge negative for the game.

Are you talking about traveling with them or fighting?

GhaleonQ

matt404au said:
Both. They get themselves stuck when traveling then when it comes to a fight, they aren't available.

Use evade formation during all travels if you aren't already. It worked quite well for those having trouble.

jesusraz

GhaleonQ said:
I'm going to ignore your protests and assume that you have inside knowledge.

HEY, EVERYONE, LITTLE KING'S STORY 1 AND 2 LAUNCHING WITH THE 3DS!
That would be a cool rumour to start, wouldn't it? Maybe force Kimura-san's hand on the matter ;)

ZAK

matt404au said:
Both. They get themselves stuck when traveling then when it comes to a fight, they aren't available.
Do you try to get them back when they get stuck? That's what I do. It's kind of annoying, but then I have my army and I don't lose.
Or I do anyway... :^(

Sorry for the one month bump, but didn't feel like making a LTTP thread

So I just beat this game and thought I'd share some of what is immediately sticking out in my mind.

Negatives:
Some of the professions were useless or cumbersome to find. Especially
the doctor and wizard
. By the time I actually got ahold of them the game was pretty much over. Lame.

Some of the princess quests were really really really lame. Especially gathering the tunes

Did not like the last boss fight

Did not like the ending
So the princess you chose gets eaten by a rat that you defeat then thrown out a window by the real you? And you don't even get to go back home? Lame

Targeting was hit or miss for me most of the game, even with the sticky line in use

Positives:
Good combat and nice diversity of the main classes.

Once you get the hang of it and unlock some of the classes, the developers really made it easy to keep playing. "just one more turn or let me dig up this last hole." Really addicting opening up new areas and deciding when you should go back to the castle.

Music was pretty good. The cut scenes were well animated but sometimes I wish I could skip them.

Related to the point above, but when you get your army to how you want it, you really feel like a bad ass compared to when a frog could devastate you by eating your soldiers in one bit.

The game was difficult but overly difficult. There were quite a few one hit kill moves that you wouldn't know about that would slow you down, but since your men woudl wash up on shore a lot, the losses weren't that harsh.

A lot of the collection stuff was done in a way that you could do it while playing the game normally so it wasn't as bad as it could have been minus the tunesmith collection. Fuck that shit

All in all, one of the better games for the Wii. Too bad what happened to the developers which means we probably won't get a sequel that could have ironed out some of my complaints.

leroidys

Sorry to necro this thread... I always check old game threads when they come up to see if it's on sale, and I thought I would return the favor.

13.99 at Amazon right now. Get to it gaffers.

Dascu

leroidys said:
Sorry to necro this thread... I always check old game threads when they come up to see if it's on sale, and I thought I would return the favor.

13.99 at Amazon right now. Get to it gaffers.
Criminally low price for one of the best and most underrated Wii titles. Everyone go buy this game!

gimz

bumping the official thread cuz i just want to say how fun and addicting this game is
after i stopped playing this game for months, and now i just started from where i left off, and i cant put it down anymore! this game is so addicting!

rpmurphy

leroidys said:
Any tips on defeating the giant radish guy? Just lost like 40 guys on him and promptly shut off my wii.
The one that turns your troops into turnips? I think you just need to avoid being hit by the boss so withdraw your troops timely. Hit it until it dies, etc.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
leroidys said:
Any tips on defeating the giant radish guy? Just lost like 40 guys on him and promptly shut off my wii.

You need to work on your running-away skill. Very important skill in this game. Lots of patience needed.

Busaiku

leroidys said:
Don't take too many people.
6-8 (including archers) or so of your strongest guys is good.

Be ready to call your troops back as soon as it gets ready to attack, and just run from it.
Staying in defensive position is best.

Just chip him away slowly.

ajim

Replaying this game again... My god... Still as amazing as before. Absolutely love it. I would love this on 3ds or similar too.

psykomyko

Just bought this game today, played for about 4 hours...Absolutely love it so far!
So much charm, can't help but to smile while playing this.

Top Bottom