• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden (Possible) Season 4 Thread: Wish you were here ladies!

well, lets take a rollcall here and see if we can put together at least one more good season of madden. it is clear we are going to cut a lot of dead weight, but it is also clear that we are going to lose some good players. so, if you are interested in playing, post here and i guess we can decide if it's worth having a season. i could probably guess who wants to play and who doesn't, but with all the flip flopping each week i never know! there will be a couple rule changes, the most notable of which is no spread d-line formation. still interested? then post friends... post for your life! if i didn't post your name it's because i am under the impression that you are on the fence about it.

1. fmt
2. dm
3. mrbob
4. fifty
5. malley
6. gunstar
7. matrix
8. truelize
9. Jobber
10. DJ Demon

Fifty

Well considering that we only need 8 to do it, it's looking like we will have a season 4 :)

I'm in, of course. FMT and I can't say with which teams yet...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Me. I'm in. I'm a sadistic bugger I guess.

I have another rule. No blitzing me. I still haven't really figured out how to handle it. I just get so flustered. :lol

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Screw it...im in,but with a new team.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I know what team I am picking!

The new rule... IS A GOOD RULE! I have seen the light, and I apologize to you, Matrix, for our battle of words over this before.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
It's all good CK :)

Slo

Have fun guys, I'll be sitting this one out. I hereby pass the Drama Torch of Great Cheddar to........Malleymal! Carry it well, my son.

Shadax

Banned
Oh and no d-line spread is weaksauce. Can't wait for Season 10 when we're all using the Cardinals and running HB Dive exclusively. :rolleyes

Fifty

Yeah I haven't been sacked that often on d line spreads. It seems fair to me, but people must have a reason to be complaining, right?

Ramirez

I can't count the number of times Rice has shot out from the d-line spread and straight flattened my linemen due to the spread.People who have good DEs and combine that with the spread,it becomes really annoying.I use it too just because people use it on me,but I certainly won't have any problem not using it,it will make the game MUCH more enjoyable,IMO.

d-line spread is infact bullshit. im not saying you are 100% successful if you use it, or attributing success to using it, but the bottom line is it's ridiculous. explain to me how a 3 man spread line rush causes more pressure on the QB than a 4 man standard line with 2 blitzers. you can't explain that because it defies real logic and would never happen in the NFL.

you can call the GAF leagues No Fun League if you want, but one thing most people dont consider fun is calling the right play, having the play you want there, but being stopped because someone is using spread line all the time and you have no time to throw when you should have plenty of time. THAT is no fun.

so start practicing without it. you will find that the league is more appealing and that there is more strategy to be had.

p.s. when i say no spreading the line, i mean physically audibling them to spread out. the "line shift", which doesn't spread them out physically but tells them to play outside is still legal (i.e. L trigger + Right stick up is legal, but L trigger + D-pad up is illegal. you get what i mean)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I might get in on this, but if it comes up to an odd number of players, I can bow out.

oh yeah, i forgot about the j man jobber jobberson. you are in on this buddy! you will probably be taking the jets, unless DM doesn't choose the bucs

i listed you as maybe because you seemed dissatisfied with the new rule changes :D

if you got no problems with the current rules i got no problems! we all got no problems...

Shadax

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i listed you as maybe because you seemed dissatisfied with the new rule changes :D

if you got no problems with the current rules i got no problems! we all got no problems...

Oh, I still think it's a lame rule, but whatever you think you need to have a chance to beat me FMT, it's OK! I notice you're still afraid to have me on your schedule so you rig the league as such...but it's OK, I can understand the fear that you have of me. :D

So, in other words, I'm in and y'all are going down! Third time's a charm!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Shadax said:
Oh, I still think it's a lame rule, but whatever you think you need to have a chance to beat me FMT, it's OK! I notice you're still afraid to have me on your schedule so you rig the league as such...but it's OK, I can understand the fear that you have of me. :D

So, in other words, I'm in and y'all are going down! Third time's a charm!

I kinda take great pride in the fact that you talk so much crap to everyone and you are the only player that I have beat in these leagues. Actually I'm 3-0 to you. And well.... I kinda suck at this game. :)

Shadax

Banned
Truelize said:
I kinda take great pride in the fact that you talk so much crap to everyone and you are the only player that I have beat in these leagues. Actually I'm 3-0 to you. And well.... I kinda suck at this game. :)

I barely trash talk....there's been much more trash-talking in the other conference. You've only handily beaten me once....the other two were flukes.

But just to show that I put my money where my mouth is, I'm willing to bet (with a mod's assistance of course) an avatar/tag of your choice for me if you beat me in a scrimmage match (league settings) with the team of your choice versus my Redskins.

Fifty

Yeah, you guys really need to step it up with the betting. FMT and I have a monopoly on the league betting. He's GA's Pete Rose! Whoever wins our upcoming game gets to make the other guy his prison bitch and pick their team for this season. Feel free and top those stakes. Perhaps bet your first born child on a game...

Matrix

Dskillz,can you play tomorrow night? Anytime past 9 pm eastern would be good for me.

Just name your times or when you can play.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Shadax said:
I barely trash talk....there's been much more trash-talking in the other conference. You've only handily beaten me once....the other two were flukes.

But just to show that I put my money where my mouth is, I'm willing to bet (with a mod's assistance of course) an avatar/tag of your choice for me if you beat me in a scrimmage match (league settings) with the team of your choice versus my Redskins.

Oh I'm not challenging you one bit. I'm bad at this game. I think I've actually gotten worse as time has gone on. I'm just saying all your talking is funny cause you are the only person I've even beaten.
I am in no position for any betting at all. I would definetly not bet for season 4 team that is for sure. Heck if I'm gonna lose every game, at least let me lose with my favorite team.

Note: I sure wish we could do trades. It woudl be nice to have a WR that can catch. :(

Fifty

Ramirez said:
If you guys don't give the other guy the Browns then it was a worthless bet :lol

I was thinking of giving him the Browns simply because of Jgar, but I probably wouldn't have. The idea for me was to dictate the type of team they had, not so much as picking a bad team. We played our final game today, ahead of schedule. FMT won, so he gets to pick my team.

Fifty

re: today's game...I'll post it here because the bet was involved, and because it was a season 3 game played outside of season 3's setting.

Today's game had so many crazy fumbles and INTs. Magnetic fumbles rolling out of bounds, players fumbling all the bloody time. I even got called for HOLDING! so many breaks, I can't say I had bad luck, even though I lost ed reed and will demps for the game because of Barlow's incredible shoulders. :-( All in all we both had our ups and downs, and it was a fair game.

Fifty

photo4.jpg

"I can't wait for season 4. It's going to be smooth and chunky, just like my bedroom surprise"

can we get an official count of how many players we still have in? seems like everyday someone new is quitting on the league or getting pissed at the game

Ramirez

Take my name off.

Call me when EA releases a game where...

-Teams aren't overrated
-Every game doesn't feel like its scripted
-D-Linemen don't bearmaul the OL in a matter of milliseconds

Yea,that about sums it up.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Ramirez said:
Take my name off.

Call me when EA releases a game where...

-Teams aren't overrated

Yea,that about sums it up.

I am sure you feel the same way as me. Great game, was lots of fun, but at this point there are other sports games out there that aren't as fucked up and who's real life counterpart is in session. The bullshit was negligible because we all still wanted to play a football game, and fuckin' ESPN was not an option. :lol

I fear Madden 2006. At least ESPN had the potential to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Ramirez

I think it's more of a "everyone has played so many games it's like playin a fuckin robot every game" thing...I know what the fuck is going to happen before I even play the game,hence my scripted comment.

-Teams aren't overrated

1. lol you want a sports games where teams aren't overrated? don't hold your breath friend. that is part of sports

2. scripted? i'm sure a 53-47 tight ball game was in the script with me and malley. also, i'm sure that me driving all the way inside his 30, then throwing a pick with a minute left was also in the script.

3. come on now, its not milliseconds. you have time to throw, even against the bucs. i know because i've passed for 400+ on them.

I am sure you feel the same way as me. Great game, was lots of fun, but at this point there are other sports games out there that aren't as fucked up and who's real life counterpart is in session. The bullshit was negligible because we all still wanted to play a football game, and fuckin' ESPN was not an option.

i hope you aren't referring to MLB 2k5, cause that game is a piece of shit. MVP i will grant you. i think it is a more accurate representation of baseball than madden is of football. but you have to understand that it's not difficult to make an accurate baseball game. you can't really "cheese" in baseball. there are no money plays. yeah you can throw garbage pitches, but welcome to the real world.

the bullshit IS acceptable because it happens on both sides and at the end of the day it comes out even for the most part. you can point to lineman breaking blocks, or this or that, but let me ask you this: did you throw any INT's? have any turnovers? odds are you did, and that isn't the games fault that you threw into double coverage or a cb made a good play.

im not calling you guys out, if you dont want to play then dont its not the end of the world. but dont throw a tantrum or quit after every game you lose. shit i got 53 points put up on me against malley and i was still fighting to the very end. you dont think i was upset that holmes broke a gajillion tackles or that dante burned triple coverage for a td? its upsetting but boo hoo get over it.

still i understand that football is not in season and you might not be as hyped to play a sport that isn't around right now. thats fine. but if you are going to quit because you lost a 1 point game or because you are upset that you gave up an 80 yard TD to a guy you have no respect for that is kind of weak

Ramirez

I'm tired of the games bullshit,plain and simple.I don't care if GOOD teams are good,but when the Buccs defense is playing like they did in the SB that year when they weren't anything to write home about this year,then yea I have a problem.I also love them plays where all of my DBs get bunched up and the other WR just breaks free,it's bullshit dude,you can spin for the game all you want,it has ALOT of exploits.

And yea I threw ONE INT,and it was single coverage on a fucking LB,where he somehow magically knows the route and happens to change direction and INT it as soon as it got there.Meanwhile Torry James or whatever the fuck his name is dropped Two INTs for me that was right in his chest.So don't give me that lecture either.

I don't care though,the game is already on EBay.

LukeSmith

If I may, for a brief moment, interject.

As funny as it is to see Ramirez get his thong in a bunch over this latest Madden related snafu, something I haven't been privy to in GAF, but more when the game first released -- it does (in an extremely roundabout way) bring up some cardinal problems with sports games in general (from a competitive "measure of talent/skill at video games" perspective).

To begin with a simple, if not slightly pejorative example if Marcus Pollard jumps offsides late in a game I am playing, on a critical third and 8, something which backs me up five yards and out of Mike Vanderjagt's "for the win" FG attempt, where is the skill in that? There really isn't. Just like there isn't really skill in executing the bunched post corner where the DB AI simply isn't smart enough to cover the route, or the game's physics don't allow the defensive backs to not get all jumbled up like a bunch of retarded kids on the merry go-round -- these are skill less acts.

Problem here, is that there is an awful lot of skill (and pride) at stake with these Madden games, which are, unfortunately equal parts game circumstance and player skill. I'd argue even heavier for the onus in Madden falling on the CPU, rather than the actual player. Sure, inevitably the player will make a read that the computer wasn't going to, but the programmed success or failure of an offensive lineman/defensive lineman ultimately dictates the success of the passing play at the fetal of levels: the drop back. Then there is the DB AI, whether or not it covers the WR, how closely it does, what shoulder it covers, all of this which you can adjust at the line of scrimmage pre-play, but unless you've got control of Fred Smoot, you're still suspect to getting torched.

Herein lies the problems with all of these sports games. The player, in some senses is ultimately limited or augmented by the success of his AI teammates -- this is not something we as players have a whole lot of control over. We've all witnessed facets of this both in single and multiplayer gaming, whether it is that drive in Franchise mode where no matter what Richie Gannon is creating throwing lanes and suddenly Jerry Porter looks like Jerry Rice. It's not as stilted in multiplayer, but it still occurs.

Now, Ramirez is pretty tired of the ungodly Bucs defense shutting him down, or some other such nonsense. But basically, he is tired of getting beat by 10 AI controlled players, rather than one DM, or Fifty or whoever it is.

The games in sports games aren't so much scripted, as they are a series of circumstances. Sure, FMT may hitstick me and cause Edge to fumble, but what if Edge just coughs it up on his own? These are problems which are inherent in the genre. You've all seen the Madden finals -- it's a series of exploits and cheese, much like in fighting games (I can't remember which one) when the top players began to roll cancel in and out of specific combos. Roll cancelling was eventually outlawed, but these AI glitches force an unrealistic, retarded game of football to be played: but it's still one that walks a tight wire, if you can't cover the Bunch Post Out play, you better find a way to counter it -- et cetera.

I could type much more, but this seems like a fitting jumping off point for the unsuccessful nature of sports games as true competition right now because of anomalaic circumstances. FPS, fighting games and chess are about all there is for competitive video games that measure skill -- not sports games. So lighten up Ramirez, you only lost because the game wanted you to. Now take that game off ebay and get back here. There's a league to play.

i see what you are saying scoot, and i agree with a lot of it. but if the computer "does all the work", why are there such disparities in winning teams and losing teams? why was i able to beat ramirez when he was the falcons (likely the most overrated team in the game) with the 49ers? i know what you're saying "cause your team did all the work!" well why was ramirez able to stomp gunstar who was the eagles or mrbob who was the rams? the answer is the play-calling.

yes the game is dependent on your AI buddies, but how else could it be? there is literally no other way to do it in a 1 on 1 match. now wouldn't it be cool to have 11 on 11 and each XBL player playing a position? yes that would be awesome and fix all of the AI problems. but that isn't practical nor probable at this point in videogaming.

there is no way you can't be AI dependent in a team sport. that is football. you think in real life when ahmed plummer gets burned every fucking time because he wont turn his head back i dont say "OH COME ON YOU FUCKING IDIOT JUST TURN YOUR HEAD BACK AND KNOCK THE BALL DOWN!"? it happens in real life and it happens in the game.

i will be the first to admit that madden is less about physical skill and more about play calling. if i am the '85 bears (maxed out rating on defense), and i am playing against the 2004 arizona cardinals, i STILL have to make the right playcalls. ratings DO NOT matter in this instance if i call a cover 2 short zone and the wr runs a fly pattern past the CB who is sitting on the short route. EVEN with a maxed out D i still need to make the right call. football gaming will always be a game where you depend on OTHER people, be it AI or your friends. that is the nature of the beast. and no football game will ever be perfect, but to quit because you feel like you were cheated by the AI isn't a very good excuse in my eyes

LukeSmith

FrenchMovieTheme said:
everything FMT said

Right, I wasn't intentionally implying that there is no skill, or even tacitly attempting to imply such. Obviously there is a fundamental level of skill (especially since you routinely play with the godfuckingawful 49ers) required to play the game. The playcalling is important, but the execution lies outside of the realm (for the large part) of the player. I'm not saying it doesn't require skill to play the game -- but rather the game is a horrible measure of skill because of so many "X" factors -- at least 10 on each team, each play, plus the calculations for broken tackles, broken blocks, fumbles, et cetera.

Fifty

I've never lost a game because of luck. Yes, the last play has been decided because of bad luck (KJ baby, you know I love you) but as FMT pointed out at the time, I blew some red zone chances. I honestly believe that every game is winnable, and while things might go wrong at a very inopurtune time, everyone has a chance to win the game provided they call the right plays and execute manually.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I see it from both perspectives and understand frustrations... but I really think the game is about nothicing your opponents tendacies and strategizing to combat them... do they blitz alot? do they run alot? do they like to throw long bombs all game?? the person that can realize this and adjust usually end up pulling out a W... at least thats how i see it..

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm still in.

I also believe this game is won and lost on playcalling. Very rarely have I lost because I was controlling the player defending the ball carrier. I know the AI is stupid sometimes. I'm just not sure if I would be any smarter. :D

Slo

I think this is all probably just burnout related noise. At least I hope so.

Despite the flaws, I think Madden does a good job of reproducing the outcomes of matchups. Some teams are overpowered and take very little skill to play with, but we all know who they are, it's not like there are any secrets anymore. Sometimes a mediocre player can use a overated team like the Vikings and beat much better players that are using horseshit teams. Then again, sometimes the better player is able to overcome the handicap.

Matrix

Malleymal said:
I see it from both perspectives and understand frustrations... but I really think the game is about nothicing your opponents tendacies and strategizing to combat them... do they blitz alot? do they run alot? do they like to throw long bombs all game?? the person that can realize this and adjust usually end up pulling out a W... at least thats how i see it..

Yea I see it that way too,but Dante Hall is the f-ing devil in this game :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i hope you aren't referring to MLB 2k5, cause that game is a piece of shit. MVP i will grant you. i think it is a more accurate representation of baseball than madden is of football. but you have to understand that it's not difficult to make an accurate baseball game. you can't really "cheese" in baseball. there are no money plays. yeah you can throw garbage pitches, but welcome to the real world.

Let me begin by saying that I have voiced plenty of negative opinions against MLB 2K5. I was actually referring to MVP.

the bullshit IS acceptable because it happens on both sides and at the end of the day it comes out even for the most part. you can point to lineman breaking blocks, or this or that, but let me ask you this: did you throw any INT's? have any turnovers? odds are you did, and that isn't the games fault that you threw into double coverage or a cb made a good play.

I bolded this point because I want you to see how ridiculous this is. If this is what you believe, the bullshit happened on both sides of ESPN NFL, and ESPN NBA. Why did we drop those like naked zombie toddlers? At the end of the day if you make more plays and make less mistakes, you're going to win too. I beat Bog by playing smart football when no one could in ESPN NFL. Play better D in NBA and get more rebounds, of course you're gonna get the game regardless of the hopstep.

Maybe I am bullshitting myself, but in order to address your turnover point, I will admit I think I make better reads at the LoS than anyone else in the league. My ability to recognize coverage and make correct audibles is my basis for this. The season stats are unfortunately down, but going into the last game I had thrown 10 interceptions, and if you had read my posts after each game, you know that at least two of them were balls that bounced off of my receiver's hands. Am I at fault for that? I do make correct reads, look at my rushing total, look at my passing stats (yardage is low because I focused on coming out of my backfield a lot more this season than last). I, personally, do not make many mistakes in terms of costing myself the game. However, and you know this one quite well, my guys fumble a lot for whatever reason. I think I had 10 fumbles going into the last game. You'd think that a guy that used Tiki as his feature back last season (and the season before) would know how and when to use the Y button ball cover move, but hey I still fumbled more than anyone in the league, and maybe one or two of those were huge hitstick hits. Again, am I at fault for that? Look at the turnover differential for my team. Really, the fumbles ruin it, don't kid yourself. My point is, on the field, I'm not making a lot of mistakes, if any, per game.

Offensive/Defensive play calling is hot/cold, we all know this. You can make the right calls but sometimes your guys don't play to their potential, as you saw in your game with Malley. I don't think that play calling is an issue for me, though you may think it is as my lost to you in Season 3 featured the unequivocably worst playcalling I have ever done.

im not calling you guys out, if you dont want to play then dont its not the end of the world. but dont throw a tantrum or quit after every game you lose. shit i got 53 points put up on me against malley and i was still fighting to the very end. you dont think i was upset that holmes broke a gajillion tackles or that dante burned triple coverage for a td? its upsetting but boo hoo get over it.

still i understand that football is not in season and you might not be as hyped to play a sport that isn't around right now. thats fine. but if you are going to quit because you lost a 1 point game or because you are upset that you gave up an 80 yard TD to a guy you have no respect for that is kind of weak

My point here is this, I love Madden 2005 and although the pluses outweighed the minuses before, now it's flipped as the minuses become more and more glaring. You can't sit there and say that I am being a baby about it when I likely have more games played than you do. I'm 97-56 in ranked games, 5-9, 8-8, and 9-7 in season play, countless franchise games, and even more unranked games. I think I have seen the same amount of BS as you have if not more, the amount of times I haven't gotten upset over BS easily matches yours. I'm calling it quits because I'm burnt out and tired of denying that there are any problems with this game, and frankly, I'd love to play some of my other games that have been sitting on the backburner because of my 2-3 Madden game a night affliction.

That said, I would play season 4 if we eliminated the BS play, as I told Fifty online. No slot corners whatsoever, no d-line spread, no double safety bluffs unless it's a goalline situation, and no manual blitzing from the outside(you know who you are buddy!). These are very clearly game breaking exploits. I understand if you don't want that, there's always next year.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
well, with all the "you know who you are buddy!!" going on, I just want to know one thing.

Am I a bullshit player?

I'm still "eh" on going another season. The last few games kind of "turned me back on" to it, as I got in a hot streak. But with so many other things going on, I don't want to be absent like a certain Sea based Mammal...

Top Bottom