• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

Dead Man

RIP Jason Richards :(

Edit: That's so weird, I don't think I've ever seen anyone take off glasses before taking off their helmet. For some reason I thought that no motorsport drivers wore glasses at all. Gives me hope ;)

Just some fella who won Bathurst a couple of times...
John_Bowe.jpg

I missed anyone taking glasses off, but a few of the current drivers wear them, Tander springs to mind.

Thanks for the link. These cars sound soooooo good.

Yep. My favourite noise in current motorsport I think. NASCAR comes close, but there is not as much change in the noise on the ovals.

Shaneus

Oh fuck, I completely forgot about Bowe :( Should've remembered, he was my favourite driver back in the day.

Oh, and... um... that Holden guy. I think he raced with Skaife. Older dude. Not Richards. Edit: Larry Perkins.

Dilly

Banned
RIP Jason Richards :(

Edit: That's so weird, I don't think I've ever seen anyone take off glasses before taking off their helmet. For some reason I thought that no motorsport drivers wore glasses at all. Gives me hope ;)

Sebastien Bourdais and Thierry Neuville are 2 drivers I know who wear glasses.

nny

Ogier wins the Power Stage and the Rally! Third win in Portugal. Great display, VW keep looking the strongest.

McNish is reeling Treluyer in. I thought the ~30 sec deficit after the final stop would be too much to overcome with 30 minutes to run, but after taking new tires the #2 has made up 20 seconds in around 15 minutes.

Chris R

Fucking pisspoor sportsmanship there by the #9.

edit: And only to the end of the longest line? Kinda a joke. Decent race at least.

TylerD

I just ordered my V8 Supercar tickets for the Austin 400.

Turn 1 section 5 row 43 and I plan on migrating around over the weekend to the general admission areas to get different views. Having 4 races with 4 qualification sessions and practices to watch is going to be stupendous!

Shaneus

Turn 1 section 5 row 43 and I plan on migrating around over the weekend to the general admission areas to get different views. Having 4 races with 4 qualification sessions and practices to watch is going to be stupendous!
Good shit! Are they pricey at all?

Dead Man

Someone uploaded all the V8 Supercars action from Saturday, 4 hrs worth.

Includes V8 Supercars qualifying and races 6 and 7, V8 Utes race, and NZ V8s race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8EOX7nhaE4
Awesome.

Very jealous, I expect many photos.
For those who missed (like me) the 1s tround of Super GT, here's a short recap of the whole race: Super GT Round 1 Okayama

And the battle between the GT-R and the 2 HSV-010

Damn, good shit.

TylerD

Good shit! Are they pricey at all?

$125 after fees and shipping. Parking was $60 for 3 days but it is the closest lot to my section.

Very jealous, I expect many photos.

Yeah there will be lots of pics and videos.

The support races look to be good stuff too. Porsche GT3 Trophy Cup West and multiple other class races (GT/Compact Cars) with Pirelli World Challenge Series.

Lots of beer, food and sunscreen and the weekend should be one to remember. Hopefully a number of Aussies make the trip too to add some international flavor.

I will be crashing at my roommates' sisters apartment so lodging is super cheap as long as I treat her to some dinners. She is super cool and didn't mind me staying there a week for F1.

Chris R

Sounds like it is going to be a blast. I wish flying wasn't so damn expensive! Hotel rooms and ticket prices sound much more reasonable than they were for F1.

oipic

Jack is an insulin dependant diabetic, too. A real nice bloke. I'm not one to usually chase signatures, but I did get Jack to sign my insulin pump a few years ago.

I thought Jack did a wonderful job in the commentary box calling the support races during Ten's Aus GP coverage, too - can definitely see a career in the media for him long-term, if he's keen to do so. Speaks well, seems very knowledgeable, and he possesses a contagious brand of enthusiasm.

I like metal and that is cringe-worthy to me.

Anyways, if anyone was still worried about Yamaha dominating in MotoGP this year, watch this weekend. ;)

Heh, then we both know that ain't metal :)

Hoping Marquez flattens the field this weekend, and stakes claim to not only the future of MGP, but the present.

I'll have to see more of Marquez, Lorenzo was also impressive as a rookie but he also crashed a lot.

Also, ugh I love only like a few miles away from Long Beach, really wish I knew people more into motorsports or I'd be watching the race.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
As Seanspeed said several weeks ago, Honda will shine on fast tracks with long straights. Austin is their hunting ground, advantage is just huge (1 second).

Moto2 race will be probably hundred times more exciting.

caramac

MotoGP QP2 Results

Code:
Austin, Saturday, April 20, 2013
Pos.	Num.	Rider	Nation	Team	Bike	Km/h	Time	Gap 1st/Prev.
1	93	Marc MARQUEZ	SPA	Repsol Honda Team	Honda	341.6	2'03.021	
2	26	Dani PEDROSA	SPA	Repsol Honda Team	Honda	339.1	2'03.275	0.254 / 0.254
3	99	Jorge LORENZO	SPA	Yamaha Factory Racing	Yamaha	335.0	2'04.100	1.079 / 0.825
4	35	Cal CRUTCHLOW	GBR	Monster Yamaha Tech 3	Yamaha	332.4	2'04.267	1.246 / 0.167
5	6	Stefan BRADL	GER	LCR Honda MotoGP	Honda	336.8	2'04.445	1.424 / 0.178
6	4	Andrea DOVIZIOSO	ITA	Ducati Team	Ducati	336.5	2'04.873	1.852 / 0.428
7	19	Alvaro BAUTISTA	SPA	GO&FUN Honda Gresini	Honda	335.7	2'04.942	1.921 / 0.069
8	46	Valentino ROSSI	ITA	Yamaha Factory Racing	Yamaha	335.2	2'05.380	2.359 / 0.438
9	41	Aleix ESPARGARO	SPA	Power Electronics Aspar	ART	320.1	2'05.389	2.368 / 0.009
10	69	Nicky HAYDEN	USA	Ducati Team	Ducati	336.5	2'05.568	2.547 / 0.179
11	38	Bradley SMITH	GBR	Monster Yamaha Tech 3	Yamaha	334.1	2'06.740	3.719 / 1.172
12	11	Ben SPIES	USA	Ignite Pramac Racing	Ducati	333.8	2'07.044	4.023 / 0.304
If practice/qualifying is anything to go by it all points to a victory for Marquez with Dani in second.

We'll see how the race pans out. A lot of different things come into play, it may not be as cut and dried as it seems.

Great result for Aleix Espargaro on the CRT bike.

Jezbollah

I still don't understand how Smith got the Tech 3 ride, is his mommy and daddy filthy rich?

He's a three time GP winner in 125s, and a very good talent. His folks are not rich at all. Smith is the first British rider have made his way through the traditional Spanish proving ground to GPs (Spanish 125s -> 125s -> Moto2 -> MotoGP). The Tech 3 bike he ran last year in Moto2 wasnt developed at all as well (as you can see by their performance this year).

Chris R

Started to watch the Rolex race and I'm laughing because the race is sponsored by visual studio... why not windows 8 Microsoft?

Love me some road Atlanta though.

TylerD

American LeMans at Long Beach is going on now. Streaming on ESPN 3 on XBOX Live with no cable subscription required.

---

7:23 pm cst = I think there has been about 20 mins of racing about an hour in. :/

I still don't understand how Smith got the Tech 3 ride, is his mommy and daddy filthy rich?

I though smith signed an air-tight deal when signing for tech 3 in moto 2 that said they had to provide him a motogp ride in 2013. At the end of last year I remember hearing tech 3 were trying to get out of the deal but were unable to without large break penalties. I always thought Redding was the better of the brits.

Shaneus

American LeMans at Long Beach is going on now. Streaming on ESPN 3 on XBOX Live with no cable subscription required.

---

7:23 pm cst = I think there has been about 20 mins of racing about an hour in. :/
Holy shit, is that something I might be able to get on my Xbox? I have a US account somewhere, I'm sure if it's free I'll be able to download it...

Chris R

Holy shit, is that something I might be able to get on my Xbox? I have a US account somewhere, I'm sure if it's free I'll be able to download it...

I think you have to have Live and bet it checks to see if you are in the US via IP.

So many motorsports events tomorrow, and not nearly enough time to watch them all live :(

He's a three time GP winner in 125s, and a very good talent. His folks are not rich at all. Smith is the first British rider have made his way through the traditional Spanish proving ground to GPs (Spanish 125s -> 125s -> Moto2 -> MotoGP). The Tech 3 bike he ran last year in Moto2 wasnt developed at all as well (as you can see by their performance this year).

1.4s and 2.5s slower than his team mate in two qualies, rookie or no rookie, he's totally out of his depth. he'll either drop the bike again in the race pushing or he'll get embarrassed by a crt machine.

horrible crash/landing in moto 3 - red flag

Top Bottom