• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Okami Wii Thread of IGN Watermarks

JRPereira

Well, I finished the game and am going through it again. I hardly ever replay games, but god damn Okami was awesome. The later areas of the game and the boss fights at the end were awesome.

Only thing that I have issues with is that the final boss
yami
wasn't really explained very well (maybe it's explained in the few scrolls I'm missing). Also, what was in the
small blue sphere? It looked like a dark evil seal or manatee or something. It reminded me of the final lavos boss in chrono trigger.

DEO3

Picked this up yesterday, enjoying it so far except for one near game breaking issue:

Whenever I go to use the celestial brush, the brush spazzes out and is very hard to control, making it very difficult to draw a straight line/circle/whatever. Sometimes it doesn't even register that I'm pointing it at the screen, making me fail in those instances where you only have a set time to draw. The only solution I've found is to hold the controller high up in the air, which is rather uncomfortable - this makes it seem like the controller is having problems tracking the sensor bar, but in other games, or even the Wii's main menu, there's no problem at all with tracking of the remote.

Also, I'm now seeing that the game is listed as $39.99, when I bought it just yesterday for $49.99 from a local shop. Motherfuckers. I purposely drove twice as far in order to support a local shop instead of just going to Best Buy, only to get ripped off by doing so.

DEO3 said:
Picked this up yesterday, enjoying it so far except for one near game breaking issue:

Whenever I go to use the celestial brush, the brush spazzes out and is very hard to control, making it very difficult to draw a straight line/circle/whatever. Sometimes it doesn't even register that I'm pointing it at the screen, making me fail in those instances where you only have a set time to draw. The only solution I've found is to hold the controller high up in the air, which is rather uncomfortable - this makes it seem like the controller is having problems tracking the sensor bar, but in other games, or even the Wii's main menu, there's no problem at all with tracking of the remote.

Also, I'm now seeing that the game is listed as $39.99, when I bought it just yesterday for $49.99 from a local shop. Motherfuckers. I purposely drove twice as far in order to support a local shop instead of just going to Best Buy, only to get ripped off by doing so.

Are you sure you're not just in the sun when you play? I had that problem before in....uh...oh it was Boom Blox and I was in the sun all the time by accident. Just double check that. Also, I think it's always been only $40 if I'm not mistaken.

DEO3 said:

Note to self: not all local shops deserve your support :lol

Dascu

Got it earlier this week. Fantastic game. Beautiful graphics, nice story and characters and great gameplay.

Mardak

I'm about 15 hours into the game and I still haven't figured out how to power slash and attack consistently. I've considered quitting the game because of the flaky controls and constant loading... especially after needing to draw a bunch of power slashes in a row.

But the rest of the game is amazing.

It's just especially annoying right now because I just got the sword but am forced to stick with the weaker rosaries. The reflectors are no good either. Many times I've swung the wii remote like crazy and nothing registers -- no attacks at all. Sometimes the sword gets stuck charging and swinging doesn't bring it down. Pressing B for the brush seems to help get out, but that's still annoying.

I've been drawing power slashes for most of the game whenever I run into groups of plants or trees, and still probably 75% success rate -- 10 slashes in a row is around 5% success rate (and now that I think about it, I probably did try over 20 times in that part). I know about the Z button to draw straight lines, but that didn't help. (On the plus side, yay for + being able to skip dialog... sometimes.)

Oh and crossing out the name with a slash? ...

And I suppose while I'm complaining.. sometimes when you leave an area, the camera totally changes, so if you're holding the control stick, you end up going right back into where you came from. Loading screen AGAIN.

The invert X/Y camera controls is inconsistent when you use the D pad when wandering around compared to when using the control stick when using the brush. I always mix them up and totally mess up the camera and can't position it to see me and the target on the screen (especially when using vines).

Oh and jumping on the wind activated banners/curtains... fallen down many times because you can't tell how far it is and where you are sometimes.

Ultra nit: Loading a game, you have to press A, not +. Then you confirm that it's the game you want. And after it loads, it shows "load complete" and you have to press A to dismiss the message. And what do you get? Another loading screen.

But as I said before.. great game (in terms of gameplay, story, art) so far other than some (severe) annoyances.

TunaLover

The combo chain can be annoying, you need strike with rhythm, hit once wait until the strike finish then strike again (some hit are longer so you need practice). No problem with charging at all, just till the Wiimote and stand it up, wait, and then strike, some people charge "twice" because they think that the game didn´t register his moves, it makes you hit right after you charge, loosing your charge.

pakkit

Banned
This game is great, the Celestial Brush techniques work well on Wii, but it is a shame they couldn't give you a button option for attacks or allow you to use the CC like RE4 did. So yeah, the action is slightly gimped, but it was never great to begin with, so it doesn't really hurt the overall package.

JRPereira

You really need to get back to it. There a few scenes in particular that were so epic that I had to pause the game and go into a "holy shit.. holy .. shit!" loop for a few minutes.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I just rented this and I can see bits of really well-done game but I'll be goddamned if I'm going to sit through 30 hours of slow-ass unfunny unnecessary text set to gibberish.

pakkit

Banned
INTERNET said:
I just rented this and I can see bits of really well-done game but I'll be goddamned if I'm going to sit through 30 hours of slow-ass unfunny unnecessary text set to gibberish.
It reminds me of Rayman 2, which I loved, so I'm totally down for the text.

It's not that slow though, which console are you playing on? Isn't the text speed faster for Wii?

dk_

INTERNET said:

INTERNET said:

You know you can skip cutscenes, right?

Yaweee

INTERNET said:

The beginning of the game is just absolutely fucking terrible, and I hope Capcom realizes that the shittiness of it is one of the main factors that led to its low sales.

It picks up soon enough, though.

Twig

Banned
INTERNET said:
I hated it at first, too. But you get used to it. And by the end, you love it. D:

Don't let the little things that bother you ruin a good game. DUH. \:

Yaweee said:
The beginning of the game is just absolutely fucking terrible, and I hope Capcom realizes that the shittiness of it is one of the main factors that led to its low sales.

It picks up soon enough, though.

It wasn't that bad, considering how mind-blowingly horrible the tutorial part of Zelda: Twilight Princess is. In fact, I'd say that Okami and TP are on pretty much equal footing.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Spoilers for those who have not finished the game.

This is the most flawed great game I've ever played. It's an accumulation of some really great design, but it also tests new inner regions for experiencing pain that I never knew I had. I mean the totality of the bad decisions here is stunning. The pacing is truly horrible. Issun is now my most hated videogame character, as he has to make some dumbass comment every time there's a cutscene. I don't want to hear what he has to say since the dialog itself goes to often painful measures to point out the obvious. Between this and Metal Gear Solid, I wish that videogame developers would learn the tactful art of shutting the hell up.

Entire sections of the game also could have been cut. I have no idea what relevance the spaceship part contained. There was no gameplay that was particularly revelatory or new. The Spirit Gate portion is even worse, however, and no developer should actually retread a huge part of the game that the player has already visited. What a colossal error in judgment. They make you fight that same boss three times. What do I get out of it the second and third times that I don't get out of it the first? The game goes to great lengths to make you repeat many things.

Sometimes the controls just didn't work for me. There was a section toward the end of the game where you learn a new thunderbolt brush technique, and I must have done it twenty times before it worked. I drew a goddamned thunderbolt every time, and half the time it would interpret it as the fire technique, which was a figure eight. The game is filled with those moments. There were times where it just didn't get what I was doing. For instance, sometimes when I tried to circle a tree I got a sun in the sky instead. Other times I tried to do a slash on an enemy only to get an electric current between my sword and the enemy. This isn't so much of a problem early in the game when you don't know many techniques, but later on there's so much noise on screen that it can't figure out what you're trying to do.

But I think that the game has some stellar level design, and though I think that there is too much to do, I also loved the exploration aspect. There is also something really satisfying about the act of creating certain effects, and those are parlayed into some interesting puzzles. The weapon selection is something that I almost wish Zelda would borrow from. It works very well in offering a good selection for an adventure game without being too comprehensive. There's so much to like here, such comprehensively good design, that it's aggravating to see such obvious blunders that could have been avoided.

NEO Frog

Banned
Nope, I never got my cover-replacement either. I guess they decided to be cheap and just put up hi-res images for you to print yourself.

No thanks! I'll stick with the gimped box.

I thank that is lame that Capcom said they would do it, but then they did not. They never respond to any emails about it either.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I bought the game earlier this month, and it still has the IGN watermark on it. Did they ever reprint those, or was that a copy from the original blunder?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Didn't want to create a LTTP thread. Purchased this game on a whim last night... 2 hours in... holy crap it's awesome :D Gives me heavy Zelda-vibes, but it doesn't bother me. The art-style is impressive, and everything is so "nice". Pointer gets to me every once in a while but otherwise it's awesome.

Just revived that first valley, gotta "run around it" but I had to stop playing. Life =(. Still, breathtaking game.

soldat7

I beat it a couple of weeks ago (PS2). One of the best games I've had the privilege of playing. I'm going to buy it again for the Wii very soon.

And BTW, I got my cover replacements a couple of weeks back.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Still haven't gotten a cover from Capcom :/

Formless

Just picked up this game. The combat is bad at least initially, and the cutscenes are the worst I've seen from a dialogue standpoint (Probably because the game is so damn pretty and is slowed down by annoying text)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Formless said:
Just picked up this game. The combat is bad at least initially, and the cutscenes are the worst I've seen from a dialogue standpoint (Probably because the game is so damn pretty and is slowed down by annoying text)

10 hours in and I am now just getting the hang of the combat by waggle. It's hard or something I don't know:lol

sphinx

the piano man
I need someone to encourage me to play this game....

When I bought it, I played it one first time just to see what was it like and all I got was like 40 minutes of extremely annoying blocks of text, some pseudo-tutorial and weird uninteresting enviroments.

judging by that, I would never turn it on again.

Can someone please explain me why I should this game a chance??

Top Bottom