• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PAL PLAYSTATION®3 Launch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunarorbit

I loved the original PS3 it was my return to consoles since the original XBOX. The original PS3 had a premium look and feel to it which I loved, every other PS3 revision after that looked cheap and tacky in my opinion.
Me too. I skipped ps2 and GameCube and bought a ps3 as a bundle with a sony bravia.

Actually just put it away yesterday cause I beat dead space for the first time in February and was playing mgs snake eater a couple months ago.

Necrobumps!

mitch1971

What a thread bump.

dracula dead and loving it GIF

GametimeUK

I love this. The PS3 generation was such a special time in my life. I loved this console and its exclusives so much. By far my favourite generation in gaming. Looking back the 360 was superior for multiplats and were really competitive in the early days with exclusives, but I was a Sony Pony around this time.

I can't ever imagine getting so many games (triple A) released that I enjoyed this much in quick succession ever again.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I like how back in those days, people weren't immediately spamming these threads with Kaz Hirai's gifs while sucking his dick dry, or simping/dunking on Xbox (depending on which tribe you find yourself in these days). The thread was more about the console and the games and balanced discussions about those.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The Playstation 3! What a system!

I owned an Xbox 360 and after the disastrous E3 presentation I was deadset against buying one but FOMO (in particular the builtin Blu-Ray player) got the better of me so I got on at launch here in the Netherlands: a phat PS3 but with worse PS1/PS2 compatibility than the US version) . The first year was lackluster, felt the PS3 was a disaster but then the first good games started come out: Uncharted, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank. And the hits kept on coming and the games started looking better and better. After a while my 360 started gathering dust for increasing longer periods of time until I stopped using it altogether. The PS3 had become a BEAST console.

it-only-does-everything.jpg

Cashon

Banned
I've played and finished quite a few games on my PS3 this year, and have at least a couple more than I'll finish before the year is over (The Saboteur and Goldeneye 007: Reloaded); I genuinely miss this generation.

It's "old man screams at the clouds" stuff, but it makes me wish for a time that felt simpler. Where games could run the gamut from A to AAA and have a focus more on world-building, interesting gameplay, and technology rather than just chasing money-making trends (though in reality, it's probably just that world-building, interesting gameplay, and technology were the money-making trends), and where you could turn in the TV and get a breakdown of the day's video game news on X-Play. Games also struck a better balance between pure gameplay and cinematic experiences (whereas now it often feels like you can have one or the other, e.g., The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom/God of War 2018).

I bought an Xbox 360 first, then a 60-gig PS3 (followed by the Wii a year or so later). The original six-axis sucked, the third-party games were often worse on PS3, there were initially no trophies, and the launch lineup was terrible... but they definitely turned the ship around before that generation ended. PS3 Slim is one of the best revisions ever, the DualShock 3 was a nice step up from the Six-Axis, they implemented trophies (started with patching them into Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, I believe), and Sony really kind of let loose with releases, especially on PSN.
It's a difficult console to go back to, especially to set up with downloaded games, because everything takes. so. long. From syncing trophies, to having to download a game and then install it separately. But once you're just playing... It was definitely a different, better, generation of games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I like how back in those days, people weren't immediately spamming these threads with Kaz Hirai's gifs while sucking his dick dry, or simping/dunking on Xbox (depending on which tribe you find yourself in these days). The thread was more about the console and the games and balanced discussions about those.
I think that's cuz this is a console thread. It's similar if you go into the Xbox/Playstation threads in the communities forum, mostly talk about the consoles and games. the main Gaming forum is where all the console warring is located.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What a shit take.Held the industry back? Right...thats why the entire gaming community from PC and 360 were foaming at the mouth port begging when Uncharted 2,3,Killzone 2,3 and God of War 3 came out.In the begining the PS3's architecture was hard to understand but once devs understood it it was running circles on the 360 while MS were too busy fondling the kinect tiger's balls.
Yes, a few very talented studios (eventually) managed to really master the hardware and make some amazing games.

It was still terrible hardware. Very expensive and difficult to program for + lost Sony a lot of money. Many games ran better on 360 despite being weaker on paper.

The whole idea with Cell CPU was that it was supposed to work together with other Cells (like cells in a body). All the original hype focused on that. But that didn’t pan out so they had to go with 1 Cell + a gimped 7900GT with a 128-bit memory bus and a separate pool of memory.

+ the reason they spent so much R&D on Cell was because they envisioned using it in everything from TVs to blu ray players to cell phones, and that also largely didn’t pan out.

Come on, they went from total industry domination with PS2 to 3rd place with PS3 (until barely overtaking 360 several years into the generation) and a huge part of that was due to the late, overpriced, exotic hardware. There’s a reason PS4’s design was like the exact opposite of PS3.

Kudos to Sony for sticking it out and turning lemons into lemonade, but their “success” 6th gen was despite the hardware, not because of it.

Fredrik

Heh it was real bad back then too, we just talked about other things, like games not having full HD resolutions and having to pay for online gaming and Cell architecture possibilities etc.
Feels like stepping out of a time machine lmao
Remember very clearly that Ridge Racer 7 had a wonky PAL conversions in SD, where it just pushed out 60hz into a 50hz input or vice-verse. I went to the store the same day as i bought the console and bought a new TV too just to get 720p60 which was sweeeeet back then 👌

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Heh it was real bad back then too, we just talked about other things, like games not having full HD resolutions and having to pay for online gaming and Cell architecture possibilities etc.
Feels like stepping out of a time machine lmao
Remember very clearly that Ridge Racer 7 had a wonky PAL conversions in SD, where it just pushed out 60hz into a 50hz input or vice-verse. I went to the store the same day as i bought the console and bought a new TV too just to get 720p60 which was sweeeeet back then 👌
Yeah I think it was always a shit show, but back then the argument was more about the technical capabilities and less about the culture/personalities behind the games.

There was a lot of “Xbox 360 720p, PS3 1080p” FUD. There was that early Cell deep dive (by Nicholas Blackmore I think was his name?) that hyped it to absolutely insane levels. Crazy Ken Kutaragi with his nonstop hyperbole, everyone thought PS3 was going to be some supercomputer that redefines the computing industry. The obviously fake Killzone 2 demo that some fans insisted was real even a decade later.

Humdinger

Good times. I was a 360 guy until about 2010, when MS shifted their focus away from the core gamer to the casuals/Kinect, at which point I jumped ship. I got a PS3 around 2011 or 2012. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though I don't think I plumbed the catalog thoroughly, because I moved to the the PS4 when it came out a couple years later. I have been in a retro gaming mood lately and may go back to either PS3 or PS2, to see what I missed.

Fredrik

The obviously fake Killzone 2 demo that some fans insisted was real even a decade later.
Haha be nice now my younger self was there being a fool on that. I did some 3D modeling in a past lifetime and went through frames and found pop in and other typical game engine glitches I couldn’t understand how they crafted in a prerendered trailer. It was difficult to accept that it was fake. Especially since Jack Tretton had that infamous interview where he said it was real, apparently he misinterpreted the question and talked about some other game that actually was real. Messy. 😅

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Haha be nice now my younger self was there being a fool on that. I did some 3D modeling in a past lifetime and went through frames and found pop in and other typical game engine glitches I couldn’t understand how they crafted in a prerendered trailer. It was difficult to accept that it was fake. Especially since Jack Tretton had that infamous interview where he said it was real, apparently he misinterpreted the question and talked about some other game that actually was real. Messy. 😅
LOL yeah IIRC there was that interview but there was another one where they said it was just a target render. So Team Real and Team Fake both had plenty of ammunition and it got pretty ugly.

Anyway I bought into a lot of the pre-release hype. I really learned my lesson to take hype with a truckload of salt. By the time PS3 released, it didn’t look any better than 360. And that was around the same time GTX 880 and Core 2 Duo/Quad released and made the consoles look like kids’ toys in comparison.

Fredrik

You, and me, both. Was a better time to be frank. This thread is a trip down memory lane.

I recall when the OP, Wollan, was the lead PS enthusiast on GAF.
Moderation was harsh though. I had some odd bans and some subjects were incredibly sensitive and 3 strikes and you were out so after 2 bans it was kinda like Resetera where you’re eventually scared to speak your mind and has to develop a fake persona to survive. Thinking back I know I said stuff just to stay alive or circumvent a heated subject and go in from another angle I knew would get a pass. Fake. Feels bad thinking back tbh. I like it much more now even though the console war is dumber, feels like I’m not as restricted anymore and I can be myself.
Some tech talks were deeper back then though. And I liked how there were some game developers here.

Vlodril

The machine was a disaster for Sony but it was also the most experimental i think they ever were. It was there they build the single player experience that dominates their consoles now but they were also all in in multiplayer games. There were so many of them and very very diverse options.

Really cool stuff i thought.

Romulus

This was the only generation that I was mostly a Xbox gamer. I had a ps3 but barely touched it. PS1, PS2, PS4, I was all in. PS3 was just awful for me. All hype and didn't deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom