• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 JP thread (omg)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
yeah :/

but you didnt say anything about the game punishing you for using the wrong spell or attack ;P

Shouta

Enemies still get bonus turns for hitting weaknesses and criticals but not for draining, repeling, or nulling attacks.

Shouta said:
I actually am not a fan of Press Turn myself. It's annoying and doesn't add all that much to the game. It is nice for getting two turns for one character but really, other than that, I don't see the major benefits.

The Press Turn system works great because it takes a tired, mundane gameplay mechanic (elementary mechanics) and blows it up into a life-or-death situation.

In most games, elemental weaknesses just amount to slapping the correct choice of several spell options in order to score a little extra damage. But Press Turn makes elemental weaknesses into a HUGE deal -- it would be really tough to win in SMT III/DDS without getting extra turns and blocking enemy moves (by nulling their attacks). There's a lot of tactical decisions you have to make as a result -- how to arrange your characters and attacks in order to maximum the number of turns you get and avoid losing any turns (e.g. first take out an enemy that nulls fire, then you can hit the remaining ones with a fire spell that targets all of them). Each different configuration of enemies calls for different tactics. And because there are SO many element/status types in Megaten, there's also a strategic element of how to assemble your team & abilities so that you can effectively target enemy weaknesses (often this calls for shuffling of party members/abilities to match a given area!)

Don't see what could be annoying about it, really.

Error

yeah I think I agree with you on that, although it doesnt bother me as much becuase the enemy also gets affected by it and it's kind of cool when the enemy uses a spell/attack and loses all of it's turns hehe.

Error

Greenpanda said:
One More!! sounds kinda lame; as far I can tell, it's just a watered-down, wimpified version of Press Turn :(
they cant use the Press Turn System in P3 tho, becuase of the AI control so Im glad they took the basic idea of the Press Turn System and not ditch it completely

it would have been a serious mess to put the Press Turn System in P3.

Error2k4 said:
they cant use the Press Turn System in P3 tho, becuase of the AI control so Im glad they took the basic idea of the Press Turn System and not ditch it completely

it would have been a serious mess to put the Press Turn System in P3.

Hmm, that's a good point. I should keep my mouth shut until I play the game :)

...oh, wait. This is GAF; what are the odds of that happening? :D

Error

haha that's ok

but seriously I got mad when I sometimes made a shitty move and got owned becuase of that in Nocturne or DDS. imagine the AI messing shit up... yeah not fun.

Bebpo

Banned
Error2k4 said:
haha that's ok

but seriously I got mad when I sometimes made a shitty move and got owned becuase of that in Nocturne or DDS. imagine the AI messing shit up... yeah not fun.

Ummm...that does happen in P3.

The press turn in P3 is fairly close to the DDS/SMT3 one.

Your teammates are smart enough to know not to mess stuff up on normal enemies, but on bosses you'll often have your AI characters do an attack that heals the boss or that is blocked. Luckily after an AI character screws up once in a battle they'll know not to use that attack again.

Bebpo said:
Your teammates are smart enough to know not to mess stuff up on normal enemies, but on bosses you'll often have your AI characters do an attack that heals the boss or that is blocked. Luckily after an AI character screws up once in a battle they'll know not to use that attack again.

Heh, well, that sounds pretty much like what a "live" player would do ... :) (try an attack once, then learn not to use it)

Error

yeah I know but if they had put the press turn system like it is in Nocturne/DDS where you lose turns because you used a spell/attack the enemy is inmune to, it would have been a serious mess and totally cheap on the player.

afaik you dont lose all of your turns in p3 if someone uses a spell/attack the enemy can drain, null or repel and that's the difference.

duckroll

Shouta said:
Ok, I'm at the end of December and 5 days away from the New year in the game. Gotta finish up two quests in Tartaros in those days.

Man, it seems that you're moving really fast timewise but really slow effeciency-wise. :lol

I'm in mid-Dec and I already finished all my quests for the month!

I managed to somehow piss off 3 Communities and they ALL went into reverse status including the one I had already in Reverse. I have to friggin' damage control my character's life. So sad yet so hilarious. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

I only got Reversed once in the entire game, Yukari was pissed at me for a whole month before I finally fixed it.

Shouta

Greenpanda said:
The Press Turn system works great because it takes a tired, mundane gameplay mechanic (elementary mechanics) and blows it up into a life-or-death situation.

In most games, elemental weaknesses just amount to slapping the correct choice of several spell options in order to score a little extra damage. But Press Turn makes elemental weaknesses into a HUGE deal -- it would be really tough to win in SMT III/DDS without getting extra turns and blocking enemy moves (by nulling their attacks). There's a lot of tactical decisions you have to make as a result -- how to arrange your characters and attacks in order to maximum the number of turns you get and avoid losing any turns (e.g. first take out an enemy that nulls fire, then you can hit the remaining ones with a fire spell that targets all of them). Each different configuration of enemies calls for different tactics. And because there are SO many element/status types in Megaten, there's also a strategic element of how to assemble your team & abilities so that you can effectively target enemy weaknesses (often this calls for shuffling of party members/abilities to match a given area!)

Don't see what could be annoying about it, really.

My biggest annoyance with it is that it takes the game and makes it rock/paper/scissors. It's not anymore strategic than a regular battle system other than watching out for your weaknesses and looking for an enemy weaknesses. It was really rudimentary and made character building/party building pretty simple for me. It's a good system in theory but it really boils down to RPS with how battles are designed.

P3 does it a lot better. You (and your enemies) don't get penalized for messing up but you still get bonuses for hitting a weakness or landing a critical hit. So the game becomes less reliant on the whole RPS thing but it still benefits from the weakness and and strengths of each persona. It makes for handling some of the game's boss battles much more interesting and allows a bit more flexibility in how you approach it. There was a fight I was talking to Bebpo about last night that was like that. Two totally different approaches to the same battle but we got through it and it wasn't nearly as frustrating as it could've been if it was totally Press-Turn.

duckroll said:
Man, it seems that you're moving really fast timewise but really slow effeciency-wise. :lol

I'm in mid-Dec and I already finished all my quests for the month!

Nah, I had Finals to get through in the game which takes a ****ing week and it's only the last 13 floors of Area 5.

Top Bottom